NH - Kassandra - Benjamin - Mason Sweeney Shot to Death in Northfield - Juvenile Charged *ARREST*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Well, it's a little more complicated. People can say they're not a danger, but if the evidence proves otherwise (for example, they've made a will, written a suicide note, given away their possessions), they can still be taken to a hospital for further evaluation. Most of the time, there is no evidence that someone is a danger to themselves or others. The reason those policies are in place is to protect people who may be mentally ill but aren't a danger to anyone, which most mentally ill people aren't.

For every story like this we hear, there are millions in which the mentally ill were able to retain their civil rights without any bad outcome. We only hear about the ones that end in tragedy because they're the ones that make the news.

I also agree that the suspect's youth may have also played a role in this. It's tragic all the way around.

If anyone is interested in why these laws are in place and how they impact healthcare workers, you should read the book "Aurora." It's written by the psychiatrist who was treating the Aurora, CO mass shooter.

Yes, I have very personal experience with someone that is mentally ill and was 18 (so an adult) vs a minor. The system was/is very frustrating on getting help for someone that refuses help. I know there needs to be laws to protect them, but there is also a break in the system for family members that are seeking help for someone that we know needs it.

Yes, I have very personal experience with someone that is mentally ill and was 18 (so an adult) vs a minor. The system was/is very frustrating on getting help for someone that refuses help. I know there needs to be laws to protect them, but there is also a break in the system for family members that are seeking help for someone that we know needs it.

and we see this again & again!

jmho ymmv lrr

True, but as a physician, I've also seen the reverse of that - family gaslighting someone to put them in a psych ward and win custody of a kid. Family doesn't always mean well. That's why the bar is so high to take away someone's rights. The system isn't perfect and tragedies like the Sweeney case highlight that all too well. But I don't think the laws should be more laxed because of these (relatively) rare cases. I'm waiting to hear the rest of the story because I'd be curious to see if this juvenile had gotten psychiatric treatment in the past or had an evaluation at least.

True, but as a physician, I've also seen the reverse of that - family gaslighting someone to put them in a psych ward and win custody of a kid. Family doesn't always mean well. That's why the bar is so high to take away someone's rights. The system isn't perfect and tragedies like the Sweeney case highlight that all too well. But I don't think the laws should be more laxed because of these (relatively) rare cases. I'm waiting to hear the rest of the story because I'd be curious to see if this juvenile had gotten psychiatric treatment in the past or had an evaluation at least.
Thank you for this information. Good to know:)

Agreed, though I've witnessed this rarely in my (non-US) practice.

Where I live and work (UK and Canada) our psych ward space is sparse and always under pressure, especially for juveniles and even more especially for those in specific age ranges where they border adult or child services. Getting referrals isn't easy and turning those referrals into proper eval, treatment and placement is harder still.

This sounds a horrific case, and further investigation into its various causal clusters is clearly merited. The line between legal and medical remedies isn't always clear, sadly.

IMVHO, the mental health help in America needs to change. If a person calls police or even the state regarding a mental health situation, most times, if the person that is in crisis says they are not a threat to themselves or others, no help is available. Of course someone can and will say they are not a threat when really they might be.
The problem is, even for adult potential offenders acting out or acting strangely, there are no psych beds available, especially for males. There was a politician in Virginia whose son was terribly mentally ill and they tried so hard to find an inpatient setting for him before he acted out but could not.

So his name is Eric Sweeney and he is her brother in law. I am guessing Sean's brother? Maybe they were raising him. How horrific!!! I hope Sean is holding together, although that sounds nearly impossible. I cannot even imagine.

Nothing much to see,but this is him (I found a pre-incident post that tagged Sean, Kassandra and Eric)

10/4/23

According to officials with the New Hampshire attorney general’s office, Eric Sweeney was indicted by a Merrimack County grand jury in connection with the shooting deaths of Kassandra Sweeney, 25, and her sons Benjamin Sweeney, 4, and Mason Sweeney, 1, in their Northfield home.

Eric Sweeney was also indicted on one count of falsifying physical evidence, which investigators said is related to his alleged action to “alter, destroy, conceal or remove” a handgun “with the purpose of impairing its availability in the investigation.”

Officials said Eric Sweeney is currently being held and will be arraigned at a later date.

An underage suspect was arrested in the days after the killings, but until now his name had not been released because he was only charged in juvenile court.

Police found the bodies of Kassandra Sweeney and her two young sons in their Wethersfield Drive home on the morning of Aug. 3, 2022, while responding to a 911 call. Each died of a single gunshot wound and their deaths were ruled homicides, autopsies found.

Obituaries released last year offered a glimpse into the young family.

Benjamin Michael was only 4 years old. He enjoyed learning about dinosaurs, making crafts, and loved movie nights with his parents and little brother Mason.

Mason was only 1. He loved dancing to "Baby Shark." Spending time with his grandparents was a weekend highlight, according to his obituary.

Their mother, Kassandra, made her family the center of her world, spending most of her time building memories with her husband and two kids.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jessiw1234
Back