NH NH - Laureen Rahn, 14, Manchester, 27 April 1980

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Ok. There is a link on the WMUR Facebook page for the article @Bit of hope . I am not sure if I can link to a news article on Facebook? I believe that is different than posting a link to someone's personal page?

A couple of things still don't settle with me. My feeling is that over time the story surrounding Laureen's disappearance changed, things were added, twisted, over explained maybe....

From the Charley file Laureen Ann Rahn – The Charley Project

Laureen resided with her mother, Judith Rahn, in a third-floor apartment on Merrimack Street in Manchester, New Hampshire.

That evening, Laureen, a male friend and a female friend spent some time drinking beer and wine in Laureen's apartment. The boy later stated he heard voices in the hallway and left through the back door because he thought Judith was coming home and he was afraid he would get in trouble. He heard Laureen lock the door behind him.

I wonder how he managed to get out the back door being in a third-floor apartment. Fire stairs? The use to be from metal, no way you can walk on them without making noise.

He heard Laureen lock the door behind...meaning? she turned a key or closing it and it fell into the lock. When Laureen's mother came home the front door was unlocked, meaning? was open or she didn't needed to turn the key a few times? The next day she noticed that the back door was open. It's hard for me to understand that
a. she didn't find out that it was not Laureen in the bed until the next day
b. she found out that the back door was open only the next day.

Didn't her mother noticed a pillow and bed sheet on the couch when she came home? Wouldn't you check on your child after being a night out? It sounds silly but I would almost "smell" that it wasn't my child in the bed. As a woman living alone with a daughter wouldn't you check all the doors (especially when you found out that the front door wasn't locked) in the house before you go to sleep? I don't know...something about all this feels kind of strange to me.

Hmmm, the WMUR articles blur the info, making it unclear when her mother discovered the doors. It seems to me as though the mother's boyfriend peeked in Laureen's room, and thought it was her in bed when they found the front door unlocked. So maybe the initial reaction was the front door wasn't locked properly, they checked on her, she was fine, and then they noticed other things that were weird--the lightbulbs missing, the pillow and blanket on the couch, maybe some evidence of drinking or that another person(s) had been in the apartment and went to talk to Laureen and realized it was not Laureen after all. Or maybe the friend woke up to pee or get a drink, etc. ?

There has to be some explanation for the gap of time between coming in around 1:15am and reporting Laureen missing at 3:45am.

I rented a 3rd floor apartment once in a different NH town when I was really young and my back stair case was indoors. It was smaller, and I didn't typically use it, but it was a normal staircase. Think of an old Victorian style house, made into apartments. It went down to each level, and there was a door that locked at the bottom. There was also an attached barn type of building, but I didn't have access.

This was a slightly smaller town than Manchester, so it is hard to know what the back staircase in the building Laureen lived in was like. I have heard the building described as a "triple decker", and that kind of apartment building could have had both a second interior stairwell, and a fire escape.

So Laureen lived on the third floor of the complex. It's possible that she was lured away and trafficked, maybe the few calls that came in where of Laureen, including the one from 1986. I strongly believe that she is alive, maybe under a different name.

Hi everyone,

I just submitted this doe 2 weeks ago as a possible match for Laureen. I think she looks like her and the mom, too. I've done a composite (attached). The doe was a Canadian doe who committed suicide. Let me know what you think.

upload_2020-12-10_12-5-45.png
220px-Laureen_Rahn.jpg

Attachments

• Laureen Canada.pdf
    181.8 KB · Views: 16
All I see is one photo? I can see similarities between the two.

Is there a link to the unidentified woman?

Hi everyone,

I just submitted this doe 2 weeks ago as a possible match for Laureen. I think she looks like her and the mom, too. I've done a composite (attached). The doe was a Canadian doe who committed suicide. Let me know what you think.

View attachment 275142
220px-Laureen_Rahn.jpg
Do you have a link to this Canadian doe’s missing persons page? I’d like to read more about the details, timelines, etc.

All I see is one photo? I can see similarities between the two.

Is there a link to the unidentified woman?

Yes, there is a thread on here..but I just can't seem to find it (now) @dotr can you help us out?

Well....After rereading some of the possible sightings of Laureen, perhaps she was the prostitute in Alaska, and ended up in the Northwest? I wonder how this would ever match though, with the unidentified not having DNA, etc?

Interesting.

Is Laureen's mom still alive?

Edited: I agree with you that the Unidentified woman resembles Laureen's mom quite a bit through her eyes.Screen Shot 2020-12-10 at 1.44.15 PM.png 1534UFBC_LARGE.jpg image of Laureen's mom via newspaper clipping of disappearance, cropped 40 years after disappearance, family holds out hope for Laureen: ‘In my heart I want to believe she’s alive…’

Last edited:
A recent article about the 40th anniversary of Laureen's disappearance. They mention her mother Judith in the past tense so, although it's not stated outright, I think it seems reasonable to assume she died or is in poor health. The basic facts are recounted by Judith's sister (Laureen's aunt) Jo Beth Swanson. Also contains some articles from the 1980s about the case.

40 years after disappearance, family holds out hope for Laureen: ‘In my heart I want to believe she’s alive…’

I find it weird that Laureen's sister is never mentioned.

I believe where you read "her sister" they are referring to Judith's sister (Laureen's aunt). AFAIK Laureen was an only child. There were some things written in a way that could be misinterpreted to mean Laureen had a sister. IMO.

Do we know if Laureen had pierced ears? I can't remember reading anything about earrings in her info. I know holes can close, but if they're certain the UID's were *never* pierced, and it sounds as though they are, that is certainly interesting.

I found an age progression of Laureen from 2003 to compare to the UID from 1998. upload_2020-12-10_12-5-45.png Screen Shot 2020-12-10 at 3.35.42 PM.png

Hey! Nice find, it seems like a good match! do we know if Laureen had pierced ears?
Hi everyone,

View attachment 275142
220px-Laureen_Rahn.jpg

Laureen has a prominent scar on her upper leg, resulting from a fall onto broken glass. Apparently they noticed that Jane Doe 1534UFBC suffered from hypercarotosis (scaly white patches) on both feet. It's hard for me to believe they would miss a scar like that during autopsy.

Laureen has a prominent scar on her upper leg, resulting from a fall onto broken glass. Apparently they noticed that Jane Doe 1534UFBC suffered from hypercarotosis (scaly white patches) on both feet. It's hard for me to believe they would miss a scar like that during autopsy.
The coroner would have noticed it.

Has this lead been submitted yet?

Yes, Sam submitted this a few weeks ago.

Would they notice every scar decades later? I know a few of mine that may have been notable at 14 are much less so now to almost invisible in middle age. I know everyone heals differently too.

Also, I was curious about hypercarotosis, and what that meant, so Googled it and some of the images were feet that were really cracked and severely callused. This seems consistent with a rough life, runaway, trafficking anything along those lines for the UID.

Yes, she was submitted....but how big are the changes she is Laureen. I say, nothing is impossible but we can't mold facts trying to fit things in what we want to see. Sorry.....

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back