NH NH - Maura Murray, 21, Haverhill, 9 Feb 2004 - #10

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's the rub with the notion that maybe Maura packed up her dorm to move once she returned from her mini vacation.

She left a note on top of her packed boxes.

to me that implies she wasn't the one expecting to come back to her dorm. She left a note as a message for someone else.

All of this is IMO.

I agree with your opinion. The letter on top speaks volumes.

Here's the rub with the notion that maybe Maura packed up her dorm to move once she returned from her mini vacation.

to me that implies she wasn't the one expecting to come back to her dorm. She left a note as a message for someone else.

All of this is IMO.

Are you sure the note was left actually on top of the boxes, or was it found amongst her things by an investigator(s) who then place it on top?

Fireweed, if your employer actually does this (some do but it cant be used as the actual reason for denying employment), I would not spend much time talking about it since I believe it is illegal.

At my current job (as a contract attorney), I would be either fired or suspended if they suspected criminal behavior on my part that might negatively affect my ability to do my job (i.e. committing larceny at the same location where I work). They would not keep a potential criminal on at their workplace until my conviction (possibly months or years later).

People have fewer protections at work than they think. Maura was a just a part time work study student. If she had done something that may have led to her getting kicked out of the dorms, then I would not be at all surprised if it led to her losing her job.

I mean, can anyone have the security job at the dorms? When I lived in the dorms, all the people working the front desk actually lived in the dorms too.

All of this is IMO.

Agreed. The total act would also suggest that she expected that the packed-dorm scene would be found by someone else, in her absence.

Yup. Good point. If she was just going to leave for two nights and then come back, why leave the note on the packed boxes? For surely no one would have entered her room between Monday night and Thursday.

Just being accused of a crime or arrested is enough grounds to deny employment with many jobs. It sure as hell would be with my job
!

That's not true. Most applications - even government - ask about convictions of felonies, and rarer, convictions of misdemeanors.

Now being accused of something while currently employed, could most certainly get you fired. Most if not all states are at will employers

Are you sure the note was left actually on top of the boxes, or was it found amongst her things by an investigator(s) who then place it on top?
IIRC, it was reported that the copy of the email was found placed on top of the packed boxes when UMASS police opened her room.

Agreed. The total act would also suggest that she expected that the packed-dorm scene would be found by someone else, in her absence.

I think it fits right within her plan of locking her car up as well. She was leaving the car and its contents for someone (most likely her father) to get a hold of.

If she was running away, like its being suggested and leaving everything behind, then why bother locking up the car?

\

THEN, according to her phone records that night (published on the blog) she rings dominos pizza in Hadley at 3.40am (they close at 4am). Could this be a bulimic coping mechanism? Pizza does seem to be her food of choice when she is emotional.

Respectfully snipped.

I somehow missed the fact that she ordered pizza that same night!! I am a binge eater, and what I often do in stressful situations is that once I feel relief from whatever is bothering me, I binge on food (often pizza). So my thought is that she came up with a plan that gave her relief, and she decided to order a pizza while she planned, packed, etc. This is similar to how people who plan suicide often seem calm beforehand. I don't know if this makes a lot of sense, but ordering a pizza at 3:40am is exactly something I would do if I had a crazy situation going on but the IMMEDIATE stress was gone, so now I was in planning mode.

This doesn't help with much, of course, because we already know she planned the trip.

I am new to this case, as I just finished watching Maura's case on "Disappeared". I look fwd to seeing what you guys have come up with. I'm curious as to your thoughts on the phone call made the next morning at 7am to Billy.

I can't believe its been almost ten years and she is still missing. :( Her father absolutely breaks my heart. He deserves to know what happened to his daughter!!

I made a map posting all the points mentioned on the "Disappeared" episode for my own reference & visual aid while following along with the episode; I added Abby's location for reference as well.

http://goo.gl/maps/YldSC

I believe someone might have abducted her, and he was/is fairly local to the area (in the words of her a father, a "local dirtbag").

What about other missing persons, and/or attempted abductions in the area over the last 10 years (and previously to Maura's disappearance)?

Lots of catching up to do here----ten threads.

Welcome margarita, good to see you here in Maura's threads.. As you catch up about the case I look forward to hearing your theories and opinions on what is the most likeliest scenario that happened and why even after nearly a full decade she remains UNlocated, as well as the case still not solved..

and I, too agree with your thoughts on this being an abduction.. I find it most likely that this was definitely more of a crime of opportunity and Maura's having been unfortunate to have crossed paths with an opportunistic predator in the midst of her, personally going through a rather difficult time in her life..thus leading to her, alone, involved in another one car accident involving alcohol and from there her choices and decisions made in the frantic aftermath are what lead to her abduction, and IMO eventual death..

all jmo, tho and again I look forward to hearing your thoughts as your catching up on all the info about Maura's case..

See we have 10+ guests presently viewing Maura's thread!

Any of you who are not yet members please register and jump in on any/all discussions about Maura's case..

It's always good to hear new opinions, views, and theories about what people see as most likely to have occurred..and why a decade later we still have no answers to where/what/who is responsible for Maura's "disappearance"..

Can someone pls link me / summarize to the hit an run Vasi incident yall speak of? Sorry, there is so much here to catch up on. TIA . Sooooo much stuff you guys are discussing here was not mentioned on Disappeared (packing her dorm room, being upset over a phone call, bulimia, etc.)

This busdriver...looking for more info on him.

Welcome margarita, good to see you here in Maura's threads.. As you catch up about the case I look forward to hearing your theories and opinions on what is the most likeliest scenario that happened and why even after nearly a full decade she remains UNlocated, as well as the case still not solved..

and I, too agree with your thoughts on this being an abduction.. I find it most likely that this was definitely more of a crime of opportunity and Maura's having been unfortunate to have crossed paths with an opportunistic predator in the midst of her, personally going through a rather difficult time in her life..thus leading to her, alone, involved in another one car accident involving alcohol and from there her choices and decisions made in the frantic aftermath are what lead to her abduction, and IMO eventual death..

all jmo, tho and again I look forward to hearing your thoughts as your catching up on all the info about Maura's case..

Thank you smoothoperator! :)

So much to catch up on, but will do my best. :)

I am new to this case, as I just finished watching Maura's case on "Disappeared".

Lots of catching up to do here----ten threads.

Welcome. Indeed, you'll have a lot of catching up to do. That Disappeared episode that introduced so many of us to Maura's case leaves a lot to be desired. Lots of compelling and puzzling details have come to light since.

There are almost as many semi-plausible scenarios about what might have happened to Maura as there are sleuths on this board. The theories range from the straight-forward (Happy-go-lucky, All-American girl goes on a spontaneous road trip and is abducted by an opportunistic killer), to the sad (young women with secret demons travels to her favorite destination to commit suicide), to the intriguing (troubled college student with too many problems decides to abandon a life and family that she can no longer tolerate and escapes, possibly with assistance from one or more accomplices) — and various combinations in between. Even the "best" of the theories seem to have fatal flaws.

So, a very intriguing case to follow and think about.

Welcome. Indeed, you'll have a lot of catching up to do. That Disappeared episode that introduced so many of us to Maura's case leaves a lot to be desired. Lots of compelling and puzzling details have come to light since.

There are almost as many semi-plausible scenarios about what might have happened to Maura as there are sleuths on this board. The theories range from the straight-forward (Happy-go-lucky, All-American girl goes on a spontaneous road trip and is abducted by an opportunistic killer), to the sad (young women with secret demons travels to her favorite destination to commit suicide), to the intriguing (troubled college student with too many problems decides to abandon a life and family that she can no longer tolerate and escapes, possibly with assistance from one or more accomplices) — and various combinations in between. Even the "best" of the theories seem to have fatal flaws.

So, a very intriguing case to follow and think about.

Thank you. I see a lot of different thoughts and theories, indeed! I look fwd to seeing what all has come to light since the episode aired!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kristens5487