NH NH - Maura Murray, 21, Haverhill, 9 Feb 2004 - #13

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
So odd (as with everything in this case) that Fred would offer the info to the police upfront about teaching Maura to use the rag in the tailpipe just "in case" they found a rag...just another thing that makes me question Fred.

I'm getting my info from Renner's book. Tow truck operator found rag and pointed it out to Fred when Fred came by to look at the car.

If she was riding a long way with a rag in her tailpipe couldn't that cause carbon monoxide in the car? Plus if she was drinking, the combination might cause her to get confused and disoriented maybe explaining her taking the exit she took and the crash. Also, if disoriented that might contribute to climbing into a car with a stranger or running into the woods. I've never heard of anyone putting a rag in the exhaust pipe. I'm not a mechanic and no nothing about cars, but sounds dangerous to me.
A rag will breathe to a certain extent here. So it's not going to introduce carbon monoxide into the car's cabin, rather slow down the flow of the exhaust.

The big question in my mind here is just how big was this rag? A muffler is quite large inside. So if the rag was pushed into the actual muffler I wouldn't imagine it would adversely effect performance. Maybe cramming a few bath towels in there would, but your average size rag maybe 5 x 5 inches of fabric...I doubt it.

Now, the tailpipe is another story. While it's usually a few inches long it might only be an inch in diameter, so perhaps in that case it could hinder performance but again, we're likely talking about a small piece of fabric here. It's quite breathable and I don't think it has the mass to cause problems...in fact, with the exhaust gases pushing through it I'm surprised it didn't shoot right out as soon as she got on the highway or as soon she got heavy with the gas pedal.

I think it is what is here...Fred likely gave her a ridiculous piece of automotive advice and she went with it.

This is completely off the topic of the rag....ahh the elusive rag in the tailpipe. But, is there concrete proof which direction MM was traveling on 112? I know it's always been stated that she was traveling East, but what made that determination? Skid marks? Eye witnesses? Do we know for sure that she took I-91 North? Only asking, because of that 1 hour discrepancy of time of how long it would take to get to the crash site from when she is believed to have left Amherst. Just a thought, but you could make it from Amherst to near the Londonderry area and then to the crash site on 112. Which, thought not the most direct route, would take you onto Vermont areas for which she had mapquest directions.
I'm just theorizing here to try to make sense of and think of the Londonderry ping in a different way. It really doesn't give much time for her to stop in that area though. Which, is a bit out of the way for such a quick stop. And, where her phone was, I'm assuming, showed a ping along the 91 route when the Londonderry call happened? It's WAY more likely that she drove straight to the crash site from Amherst and stopped somewhere for gas, food, etc. for an hour, whether alone or to wait for a tandem driver to rendezvous there before continuing to a destination unknown.

The more I get into this idea, the more I talk myself out of it. Wish they had released those mapquest directions and cell phone records. Sorry, been lost down these rabbit trails for far too long. I'm trying to think outside the boxes and assumptions.

OT my brother first exhibited symptoms of schizophrenia when he was 19 and away at college. Very shortly thereafter, he had returned home, retreated to his room and has basically stayed there for the past 30+ years. It is not uncommon for symptoms to begin to appear in late teens/early twenties. Obviously, not saying Maura had any such symptoms and even if she had, it does not help to figure out what happened to her, but I am remembering now how his friends from college were contacting my parents with examples of his odd behavior that was worrying them. A lot of little things that did not make sense. Maybe she was going through something similar. Anyway...jmo, etc

OT my brother first exhibited symptoms of schizophrenia when he was 19 and away at college. Very shortly thereafter, he had returned home, retreated to his room and has basically stayed there for the past 30+ years. It is not uncommon for symptoms to begin to appear in late teens/early twenties. Obviously, not saying Maura had any such symptoms and even if she had, it does not help to figure out what happened to her, but I am remembering now how his friends from college were contacting my parents with examples of his odd behavior that was worrying them. A lot of little things that did not make sense. Maybe she was going through something similar. Anyway...jmo, etc

That is quite possible too and I do not believe that I have ever read
anything on family or friends ever commenting on that. Her decision making would have been clouded to say the least.
Anyone ever hear schizophrenia or other mental health issues brought up? If they were I just dont remember.

The thing that amazes me is all the programs I have pèrsonally seen on TV portray Maura as the all American girl, she obviously had problems as we all do, I think if the REAL Maura was put out there, it might be easier to figure out what happened to her.

I've been following this case and would love to see the outcome. Did they ever check the coordinates that said (stop looking, Maura' s body is there) 44,1644° N, 71.4326°w. Did they ever check it out?

I've been following this case and would love to see the outcome. Did they ever check the coordinates that said (stop looking, Maura' s body is there) 44,1644° N, 71.4326°w. Did they ever check it out?

Yeah, they didn't find anything there.

He withdrew a total of $4000 in cash from several ATMs on the way to UMass. Why not just write a check? Maybe it would need to clear first. IMO, he wanted her to have a decent car ASAP!

I've wondered about this myself. Maybe he was just out of checks? Banks around here close at noon on a Saturday so maybe he couldn't get to the bank in time to have some temporary checks issued (and maybe a dealership wouldn't accept a temp check). Just speaking as someone who has chronic procrastination issues and have actually been in that situation lol.

This is completely off the topic of the rag....ahh the elusive rag in the tailpipe. But, is there concrete proof which direction MM was traveling on 112? I know it's always been stated that she was traveling East, but what made that determination? Skid marks? Eye witnesses? Do we know for sure that she took I-91 North? Only asking, because of that 1 hour discrepancy of time of how long it would take to get to the crash site from when she is believed to have left Amherst. Just a thought, but you could make it from Amherst to near the Londonderry area and then to the crash site on 112. Which, thought not the most direct route, would take you onto Vermont areas for which she had mapquest directions.
I'm just theorizing here to try to make sense of and think of the Londonderry ping in a different way. It really doesn't give much time for her to stop in that area though. Which, is a bit out of the way for such a quick stop. And, where her phone was, I'm assuming, showed a ping along the 91 route when the Londonderry call happened? It's WAY more likely that she drove straight to the crash site from Amherst and stopped somewhere for gas, food, etc. for an hour, whether alone or to wait for a tandem driver to rendezvous there before continuing to a destination unknown.

The more I get into this idea, the more I talk myself out of it. Wish they had released those mapquest directions and cell phone records. Sorry, been lost down these rabbit trails for far too long. I'm trying to think outside the boxes and assumptions.

If an individual has chosen to drink and drive they may travel more out of the way, rural, back road routes to intentionally avoid the heavier patrolled roadways (I.e. major highways etc.). Could the 1 hour time discrepancy have been caused by something like this?

2nd show is on. Seems to be focusing mainly on Renner's theories which I personally can't see... but then again, I hope I'm wrong and she is okay.

After watching 2nd episode makes me wonder if the alcohol in car was for Maura or her sister K. Any chance the sister was with her or leading/following in another vehicle?

Any chance the sister was with her or leading/following in another vehicle?

I don't think Kathleen was involved or has any knowledge of what happened. Above all, that's her sister and I believe she would do anything to help solve this, regardless of the consequences.

I was certainly curious about Tim Carpenter for awhile but now that he's divorced from Kathleen, I believe any suspicion of him would have came to light.

I think more than likely this was a solo trek for Maura, as her bothering to take her car while someone followed seems kind of senseless considering the condition of her Saturn. It seems like if she had the opportunity she probably would have opted not to take it.

I don't care what anyone else thinks about the rag in the exhaust pipe; THERE IS NO REASON TO STUFF A RAG IN A TAILPIPE OTHER THAN TO CUT OFF THE AIR SUPPLY TO THE MOTOR. Seriously, people, have you never seen the scene in "Beverly Hills Cop" where Eddie Murphy place a banana in the detectives' car to hamper their ability to give chase?

An engine needs a predetermined air supply to run sufficiently. Any hindrance will tremendously hamper its performance. No ifs or buts.

I don't care what anyone else thinks about the rag in the exhaust pipe; THERE IS NO REASON TO STUFF A RAG IN A TAILPIPE OTHER THAN TO CUT OFF THE AIR SUPPLY TO THE MOTOR. Seriously, people, have you never seen the scene in "Beverly Hills Cop" where Eddie Murphy place a banana in the detectives' car to hamper their ability to give chase?

An engine needs a predetermined air supply to run sufficiently. Any hindrance will tremendously hamper its performance. No ifs or buts.
So do you believe someone, known or unknown to Maura, may have placed the rag in the tailpipe to induce a failure on the road? And maybe followed behind her to take advantage of her once the failure had occurred and there were no witnesses around?

So do you believe someone, known or unknown to Maura, may have placed the rag in the tailpipe to induce a failure on the road? And maybe followed behind her to take advantage of her once the failure had occurred and there were no witnesses around?

This thought crossed my mind...
Her car would prob start to spit and sputter, just to keep going, right?

Yes. And yes.
Maybe it was put while/before under tow if leaking oil or fluids.
Horsewash. You're not going to help any fluid leaking out the tailpipe by stuffing a rag into it. I'll explain why if you wish to ask.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rav17en