NH NH - Maura Murray, 21, Haverhill, 9 Feb 2004 - #13

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems and feels like an abduction resulting in homicide or captivity (which doesnt seem likely after all this time as an intelligent person would have found a way to make contact with someone)....there is no other logical conclusion at this point. Maura placed the rag in her car herself, most likely to avoid a police pullover (as directed by her dad) prob not long before the accident as the car would not have run too long thereafter...she locked her car as said like she was coming back with the dog picking up the last available scent shortly up the road. She was at the wrong place at the wrong time literally and figuratively it seems

Okay, this just occurred to me reading M. Freling's twitter. What if Maura hit her head during the crash (hence the windshield damage) and some passer-by picked her up. She had a head injury with gradual onset of symptoms (confusion, unconsciousness, it happens), causing her to pass out and die while in the custody of the passer by. What is the possibility of the p/b hiding her body? Maybe they do this because of some mistrust of police etc? This would make some sense if p/b had no idea of her head injury and perhaps some kind of criminal record. Thoughts?

My thoughts are this would be unlikely. She was young and healthy as far as we know, she was a runner. I know everyone experiences things differently, but I once had a car accident and busted my windshield out with my head. Had stitches and it was pretty serious but I never felt dizzy or went unconscious. Of course she was drinking, that could change things.

I do think she walked a little ways and was picked up, however.

Someone with bad intentions......crime of opportunity.

Seems and feels like an abduction resulting in homicide or captivity (which doesnt seem likely after all this time as an intelligent person would have found a way to make contact with someone)....there is no other logical conclusion at this point. Maura placed the rag in her car herself, most likely to avoid a police pullover (as directed by her dad) prob not long before the accident as the car would not have run too long thereafter...she locked her car as said like she was coming back with the dog picking up the last available scent shortly up the road. She was at the wrong place at the wrong time literally and figuratively it seems
Agreed. Although, I can't rule out the idea she went into the woods entirely yet. However, taking a ride, whether at the accident site or shortly up the road, seems like the easiest way to avoid the cops.

But I think you're right; I think someone saw an opportunity and things spiraled out of control.

What is everyone's guesses on the next episode in regards to the wood chips?

You know I would like to think that the wood chips are going to show something significant for closure, but I don't think they will find her blood on them. It looked like a pretty small sample size.....I guess we will see.

The new evidence showing blood on the wood chips and the scent in the closet at the A frame house...makes me think about what just happened in the Natalee Holloway case almost at a resolution then a big nothing
So I am cautiously awaiting..I think even if the DNA results show it was Maura's blood, the police won't do anything with it.
I think they cleared the police on the last episode too fast, I don't like Cecil or his behavior with the interviews he gave, there is something off. I don't think he is involved yet, but I think its a possibility. I can't believe they ruled him out after lying about 001 and him driving it that night
I am of the belief that foul play happened more so then before watching the series when I thought suicide could have been the cause. I think the scent dogs do a great job demonstrating that it would be hard to miss any part of her if she succumbed to the elements. I think its more likely that these two brothers are involved in the A frame house then Maura and Briana's case being related. It would of been nice if they had something to do a scent test with both dogs they had with something of Maura's during the episode instead of Maggies, my opinion.
I truly do feel bad for Fred, I think his last interaction with his daughter is a hard memory to take, I think I cried when he discussed it. I do believe Fred is sincere and genuine and ultimately just wants to find his daughter. No one is perfect, maybe he was too hard on Maura but he did not cause her disappearance.

Not Maura's blood, sadly. But even if the show does not solve this case, I think it is doing a nice job of downgrading certain possibilites. Tandem driver, new life somewhere, suicide, or lost in the woods all look less probable now than they did before the show.

The new evidence showing blood on the wood chips and the scent in the closet at the A frame house...makes me think about what just happened in the Natalee Holloway case almost at a resolution then a big nothing
So I am cautiously awaiting..I think even if the DNA results show it was Maura's blood, the police won't do anything with it.
I think they cleared the police on the last episode too fast, I don't like Cecil or his behavior with the interviews he gave, there is something off. I don't think he is involved yet, but I think its a possibility. I can't believe they ruled him out after lying about 001 and him driving it that night
I am of the belief that foul play happened more so then before watching the series when I thought suicide could have been the cause. I think the scent dogs do a great job demonstrating that it would be hard to miss any part of her if she succumbed to the elements. I think its more likely that these two brothers are involved in the A frame house then Maura and Briana's case being related. It would of been nice if they had something to do a scent test with both dogs they had with something of Maura's during the episode instead of Maggies, my opinion.
I truly do feel bad for Fred, I think his last interaction with his daughter is a hard memory to take, I think I cried when he discussed it. I do believe Fred is sincere and genuine and ultimately just wants to find his daughter. No one is perfect, maybe he was too hard on Maura but he did not cause her disappearance.

I feel the same way about the wood chips - the results are going to be disappointing like it's animal blood or blood from an unidentified male.

Before watching this I thought she disappeared into the woods but now I'm leaning more toward she got in a car with the wrong person. Was it someone she knew? For awhile I've wondered if this getaway was planned with someone else so it wasn't a tandem driver* who picked her up but the person she was supposed to meet up with.

But. There would be some evidence somewhere about another person she was in contact with or had a relationship with. No one can cover an affair or planned meet up 100%.

So that brings me back to unknown predator who stumbled across an opportunity, like the vampire rapist picking up a hitchhiker.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Brennan_Crutchley

*So many problems with Renner and his theories. I think he's developed feelings for Maura and that's interfered with his ability to be objective. Even the way he said "She stole from the most secure place in the country" like she's so brilliant, but the truth is she was caught shoplifting at the base PX. Not nearly so glamourous.

If they can actually rule out Claude Moulton, that'll be big. He made the rounds in the local rumor mill as a suspect VERY early on and his name has kept coming up over the years. He's an interesting suspect, but by no means the only one. Ruling him out would be narrow the scope of the investigation even further and make it more likely that we WILL see a resolution at some point.

Now if only we could do the same with the police conspiracy theories, we'd be getting somewhere.

*So many problems with Renner and his theories. I think he's developed feelings for Maura and that's interfered with his ability to be objective. Even the way he said "She stole from the most secure place in the country" like she's so brilliant, but the truth is she was caught shoplifting at the base PX. Not nearly so glamourous.

If he developed feelings, they weren't positive and he worked them through in a very public and ugly way. All that *advertiser censored*-shaming, incest, sociopath stuff will stand as his legacy. And he can deny it all day long but I guarantee you he manufactured quotes. If anyone ever gives him another shot at publishing nonfiction, it'll be a miracle.

is there only one more episode left of Maura's series?

At the end of the last episode, next week was billed as "season finale", not "series finale". But I don't know how they could extend things into a second season. So I am assuming they will wrap up Maura and next season, if there is actually one, will be "The Disappearance of Some Other Girl".

At the end of the last episode, next week was billed as "season finale", not "series finale". But I don't know how they could extend things into a second season. So I am assuming they will wrap up Maura and next season, if there is actually one, will be "The Disappearance of Some Other Girl".

I hope they do another one. Maybe Brianna?

I hope they do another one. Maybe Brianna?

Quite possible. That seems to be the route Tim and Lance are going with their podcast, isn't it? Terribly unlikely that the two disappearances are linked, though not entirely out of the realm of possibility. However, I've heard a lot of chatter that Maitland investigation is farther along than the public has been led to believe, so Art and Maggie might not get too far were they to investigate on their own.

Personally, I'd LOVE to see this team stick around New England and investigate the Connecticut River Valley murders. There are so many inconsistencies and insane rumors swirling around out there that an objective analysis by a pair of outsiders with actual resources at their disposal would be invariable. It's been almost 30 years since the last known activity in that case. The witnesses and investigators are already starting to pass on so it could do some good.

Plus those crimes have their own James Renner - Lynn Marie Carty and her "Michael Nicholau killed everyone ever" theory is her "alive in Canada because reasons" and when challenged on it with actual evidence, she gets pretty testy (at least online, anyway). It'd make for great television!

What is the Occam's razor type solution here? I feel like a random passing predator stretches things a bit far tbh.

I guess the simplest answer would be... Maura made plans to 'get away from it all' and after her car accident on the 112 she stumbled off into the woods and succumbed to the elements. If she had been drinking, I think she would be more susceptible to hypothermia?

Jmhoo

What is the Occam's razor type solution here? I feel like a random passing predator stretches things a bit far tbh.

I guess the simplest answer would be... Maura made plans to 'get away from it all' and after her car accident on the 112 she stumbled off into the woods and succumbed to the elements. If she had been drinking, I think she would be more susceptible to hypothermia?

Jmhoo

As I always say, she left the car on foot and may have been spotted as far as five miles away from the accident site. At this point, she's just an attractive young women walking along the road in a part of the country where scores of unsolved murders of young women have occurred. The most plausible reality IS that she was killed by an opportunistic predator, because it happens all the time.

Seriously, ask any woman who's ever been out walking how many times she's felt threatened by a slowing car or a man following a bit too closely behind her for too long, and then read up on how many (resolved) murders begin exactly the same way. Maybe then you won't find it much of a stretch.

I think she wound up getting lost, and dying from hypothermia. I suspect her body is in those woods someplace.

My thoughts are this would be unlikely. She was young and healthy as far as we know, she was a runner. I know everyone experiences things differently, but I once had a car accident and busted my windshield out with my head. Had stitches and it was pretty serious but I never felt dizzy or went unconscious. Of course she was drinking, that could change things.

I do think she walked a little ways and was picked up, however.

Someone with bad intentions......crime of opportunity.

I agree that she walked a little ways and was picked up by someone with bad intentions. However, I do want to point out that being healthy and athletic does not impact her susceptibility to a head injury. My daughter was an athlete (a gymnast) and hit her head doing a skill on the beam getting what was later determined to be a mild concussion. At first she seemed ok besides it hurting but within a couple of hours she was slurring her words, was unable to focus, and started blanking out in the middle of a sentence. Terrifying. And that was a MILD concussion. While I don't think she died directly from injuries in the accident (head injury or otherwise), I think its possible she had a concussion that caused confusion and eventually may have made it difficult to fight off an attacker even though she was strong and athletic.

Jmhoo

But random passing predator driving by happens - Larry Singleton, the Vampire Rapist, Ivan Milat, the Santa Rosa hitchhiker murders, etc.

I don't think Occam's razor applies and with the information we have now we can't rule out random stranger no matter how uncommon it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusslikeme