NH NH - Maura Murray, 21, Haverhill, 9 Feb 2004 - #13

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Let me try again. I agree she made up an excuse to be absent that likely wouldn't be questioned for a while. However, I don't think she planned on coming back so she didn't care about consequences with professors. She just wanted a head start so she could either runaway or commit suicide. If she just left without notice everyone would have looked for her sooner which could have jeopardized her plans.

Why would she leave to commit suicide? She had visited the White Mountains with her father many times. It had meaning to her. She could have decided to get drunk and wander in to the mountains to die in a place she loved. The accident may have disrupted this plan however.

Or, she ran away.

The lowest probability is an abduction.

Just my opinion. Which has changed many times over the years.

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk

Guess I did understand and just disagree. No one needs a "head start" to commit suicide. Do it, and it's done. The only reason to make an excuse like a family member dying is if one intends to come back and wants to avoid the consequences of having gone AWOL. College students flake out and leave campus all the time. Someone just wanting to get away would hardly be searched for for quite some time. No need to write to professors if that was the case.

I also feel abduction is least likely. From past cases, it would not shock me if her body is in the woods and never found. Maybe she went into a different way or whatever. I really cannot even guess...am watching the new show on ID channel now and am as baffled as ever. What a mystery. Her poor father.

I also feel abduction is least likely. From past cases, it would not shock me if her body is in the woods and never found. Maybe she went into a different way or whatever. I really cannot even guess...am watching the new show on ID channel now and am as baffled as ever. What a mystery. Her poor father.

What show is it?

TIA

I'm watching the show now. It's a multipart series on Maura's disappearance on the Oxygen channel.

They interviewed her sister Julie but didn't ask her about the phone call a day or two before Maura disappeared that left Maura sobbing so hard that her supervisor walked her back to her dorm.

Maura's actions before leaving are contradictory. Her emailing her professors and lying about a death in the family make it seem likely that she was planning to return - as does the fact that she took class textbooks with her. But then, why did she pack up her room? That seems more in line with someone planning to commit suicide. I've never been able to reconcile these actions.

What show is it?

TIA

The one on ID, as far as I saw, was just the Disappeared episode under a different name but they were passing it off as new. The Oxygen series is really what's new.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The thing about saying there was a death in the family, if she planned to come back she would need to bring proof of the death. I was a nursing student, the time spent in clinicals is very important. They have to have the clinical hours or they don't pass. I think it was a lie to get off without questions at that moment. Not sure what she thought she would do later.

The thing about saying there was a death in the family, if she planned to come back she would need to bring proof of the death. I was a nursing student, the time spent in clinicals is very important. They have to have the clinical hours or they don't pass. I think it was a lie to get off without questions at that moment. Not sure what she thought she would do later.

I agree. I think it was impulsive and not totally out of character for her.

Question for those who have more case info than I do-
I'm watching the Oxygen channel series.

With the general disclaimer that we have always been told " We start at the inside circle and then we investigate outwards" in missing persons cases, I need to ask: Does her father have an iron clad alibi for the time she was driving? For the approx. time she disappeared?

Question for those who have more case info than I do-
I'm watching the Oxygen channel series.

With the general disclaimer that we have always been told " We start at the inside circle and then we investigate outwards" in missing persons cases, I need to ask: Does her father have an iron clad alibi for the time she was driving? For the approx. time she disappeared?
He was in Connecticut working, all verified with his employer to my knowledge. I'd say Fred is basically 100% excluded here.

He was in Connecticut working, all verified with his employer to my knowledge. I'd say Fred is basically 100% excluded here.

I'm very glad to have this info. Thank you, and I'm sorry if the question seemed strange.. His reluctance, stated actually as " refusal", to talk with LE for 2 years is what I'd call " unusual", but maybe I don't know his reason or the circumstances for this.

I do not think you can generalize to all programs and all universities. I was a professor and taught many med students and I have literally never heard of anyone asking for a death certificate or other proof of death. I asked a friend who is a nurse, and she said she has never heard of such a thing in her nursing school, either.

I do not think you can generalize to all programs and all universities. I was a professor and taught many med students and I have literally never heard of anyone asking for a death certificate or other proof of death. I asked a friend who is a nurse, and she said she has never heard of such a thing in her nursing school, either.

Well, I've been in situations where I definitely picked up the program at the funeral home and a second for work. Sometimes the boss is unpredictable.

No idea what Maura might have done, unless the "death in the family" statement is an abortion clue???

JMHO YMMV LRR

:seeya:

I've also speculated about the boxes as well, but I'm not convinced she packed them up rather than just failed to unpack them from the Christmas/semester break. It wouldn't be unusual for a student to return to campus, bring her stuff to her dorm and get right into work and classes before unpacking everything. I'd done the same myself in college on more than one occasion, especially because in between semesters I would switch out and bring all my winter clothes to school. Had I gone missing then or left for a few days, it would have looked like I packed a bunch of suitcases up and left them in my room. I've always leaned more towards the idea that she was just planning on being gone for a few days...whether to clear her head, meet up with a new beau, or meet up with a friend for a "Boys suck anti-valentine week " getaway since her and Billy were breaking up. Otherwise, why worry about emailing your professors? You would only really do that if you were planning on coming back and didn't want the absences to impact your grades. My opinion only....

But FM is still super creepy and hinky to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

See, and to me he seems like a really great guy, a very caring dad.
He was very involved with his kids, he encouraged them to be the very best they could be, and he didn't want his daughter's name smeared just because she made a few bad choices.
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

See, and to me he seems like a really great guy, a very caring dad.
He was very involved with his kids, he encouraged them to be the very best they could be, and he didn't want his daughter's name smeared just because she made a few bad choices.

I agree about her father. There is nothing creepy about him IMHO. He's a character, but he was a good father by all accounts and seems to me like a good person who wants his daughter back and doesn't want people involved who will not help or who will hinder the search for her.

The supposed evidence for his creepiness is mainly that he didn't want to talk to Renner. He avoided and resented Renner for good reason. Renner acts like someone not wanting to talk to him is some sign of not wanting publicity for the case, and like just because he wants to talk to someone, he is entitled. Maura's case has always had plenty of publicity. They did not need someone like him, basically, publishing any random thing he happened to think or hear on his website. Renner did dig up records of the investigation that could be useful to a private investigator if her father hired one, but along the way he did a lot of harm.

I agree about her father. There is nothing creepy about him IMHO. He's a character, but he was a good father by all accounts and seems to me like a good person who wants his daughter back and doesn't want people involved who will not help or who will hinder the search for her.

The supposed evidence for his creepiness is mainly that he didn't want to talk to Renner. He avoided and resented Renner for good reason. Renner acts like someone not wanting to talk to him is some sign of not wanting publicity for the case, and like just because he wants to talk to someone, he is entitled. Maura's case has always had plenty of publicity. They did not need someone like him, basically, publishing any random thing he happened to think or hear on his website. Renner did dig up records of the investigation that could be useful to a private investigator if her father hired one, but along the way he did a lot of harm.
A lot of records he posted on this blog early on were dug up by a private investigator and passed on to him.

I forget if it was Healy or Shamshak but one of them was working with the family and gave Renner a good deal of information that set the foundation for his site.

If I ever go missing Renner is the last guy I want looking into it. I've made some poor decisions in my 43 years (mostly in my teens and early 20s). Who wants that under a microscope, especially when it has nothing to do with the disappearance? And I certainly wouldn't want him coming after my loved ones simply because they wouldn't bow down and kiss his butt when he came in guns a blazin'. No thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member