NH NH - Maura Murray, 21, Haverhill, 9 Feb 2004 - #14

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The rag in the tailpipe was what her father suggested if her car started to smoke up while driving in fear of the cops pulling her over. Her car was becoming a liability and she couldn't risk having law enforcement put another blemish on her record, which was already in jeopardy with the credit card fraud incident. Maura initially tried to start the car seven times but couldn't get it to turn over. All she had to do was take the key out of the ignition. When Fred arrived at the accident scene with the spare key, he was able to start it up on the spot.

It's certainly a mystery what Maura was thinking. I can imagine she was panicking since she completely disappeared within a short time frame. The million dollar question becomes how did she do it and what happened to her? I can only suspect that she ran into foul play.

She probably flooded the engine. I had a Saturn until 03. Her car shouldn't have been smoking up. If you mean hide the exhaust that sounds weird. I would think turning off engine taking the keys and and sitting there for a few minutes would be the best thing. It sounded like she was scared to have anything else on her record or be dragged to a hospital. Did she borrow a family member or friends card? That car seems like it was on its last legs.

She probably flooded the engine. I had a Saturn until 03. Her car shouldn't have been smoking up. If you mean hide the exhaust that sounds weird. I would think turning off engine taking the keys and and sitting there for a few minutes would be the best thing. It sounded like she was scared to have anything else on her record or be dragged to a hospital. Did she borrow a family member or friends card? That car seems like it was on its last legs.
It was her car but registered under her father's name. The mystery was how the police were able to track it back to Maura - I figured it was the UMass parking sticker that revealed it. Yes, the car had long extended its life. Oddly, Maura and her father went car shopping on February 7th, 2004, two days before the accident. Fred could only withdraw a limited amount since his bank was back in Massachusetts while he was in Connecticut at the time. $4000 wasn't enough to buy a car but it might have been enough for a down payment. From the articles I read, they were looking at a Geo Prizm for her next car but never bought it. The surprising factor was how Maura had this unreliable car but managed to drive herself two and half hours up north to the White Mountains.

How she acquired the credit card number is still a bit confusing. On the criminal report when the officers questioned her, she claimed to have gotten it off of a receipt found on the ground. I thought I read or heard somewhere that the card number possibly belonged to a parent from one of the girls in the same dorm Maura was at. I'm not entirely sure on who exactly it belonged to only that Maura acquired it from a discarded receipt.

It was her car but registered under her father's name. The mystery was how the police were able to track it back to Maura - I figured it was the UMass parking sticker that revealed it. Yes, the car had long extended its life. Oddly, Maura and her father went car shopping on February 7th, 2004, two days before the accident. Fred could only withdraw a limited amount since his bank was back in Massachusetts while he was in Connecticut at the time. $4000 wasn't enough to buy a car but it might have been enough for a down payment. From the articles I read, they were looking at a Geo Prizm for her next car but never bought it. The surprising factor was how Maura had this unreliable car but managed to drive herself two and half hours up north to the White Mountains.

How she acquired the credit card number is still a bit confusing. On the criminal report when the officers questioned her, she claimed to have gotten it off of a receipt found on the ground. I thought I read or heard somewhere that the card number possibly belonged to a parent from one of the girls in the same dorm Maura was at. I'm not entirely sure on who exactly it belonged to only that Maura acquired it from a discarded receipt.

I wasn't sure if she actually stole the card from someone or if she took the fall for it. If she did steal from a girl in her dorm or their parents that's a big deal. Normally you would think you pay the person back if they knew you used their card. If they didn't pay them back right away. It seems like something you handle without police if you know the person. If she found a credit card (usually receipts don't print the full number) maybe she wanted to see if it worked.
Could her dad have worried that with a car that ran, she could take off? You don't always buy a car out right. If you have enough in your account you can write a check, or like you said give them a down payment. Or they could have just wanted to think about it for a second. Maybe shop around.
I really feel like putting a rag in the tailpipe is odd. Has you ever heard that before?

Back in 2004, some places inexplicably printed out the entire credit card number on the receipt. It's a mystery in and of itself. Maura was ordered by the judge to stay out of trouble for three months and the credit card fraud charge would have been wiped off her record. That's a lenient punishment in today's world. While reading this case from the beginning, it was hard to fathom why Maura committed the acts these acts. First the thievery at West Point and then the credit card fraud. From what her friends had stated, it was completely out her character. Even Maura realized it at the time. At a young age, sometimes we make stupid mistakes for no particular reason. Though, in Maura's case, she was extraordinary gifted and obviously understood the concept between right and wrong. It's strange.

True. Maybe they didn't find the car they were looking or it simply didn't pan out for that day. Sometimes it requires a few attempts before you sign, seal, and deliver! In my opinion, car buying is an anomaly.

The rag in the tailpipe was bizarre, you're not alone in thinking that. Personally, I've never heard of it until I was introduced to this case. I can't speak on the knowledge of Fred's mechanical knowledge but I'm sure he had a his alternative ways of dealing with Maura's car issues without reaching into his pocket at the time. That's the best reason I can think of for the rag in the tailpipe. Oddly, when that theory was tested, the rag was blown out as soon as the engine was revved up. From Fred's testimony, it was to cover up the excess smoke coming out of her exhaust so the cops wouldn't pull her over.

Back in 2004, some places inexplicably printed out the entire credit card number on the receipt. It's a mystery in and of itself. Maura was ordered by the judge to stay out of trouble for three months and the credit card fraud charge would have been wiped off her record. That's a lenient punishment in today's world. While reading this case from the beginning, it was hard to fathom why Maura committed the acts these acts. First the thievery at West Point and then the credit card fraud. From what her friends had stated, it was completely out her character. Even Maura realized it at the time. At a young age, sometimes we make stupid mistakes for no particular reason. Though, in Maura's case, she was extraordinary gifted and obviously understood the concept between right and wrong. It's strange.

True. Maybe they didn't find the car they were looking or it simply didn't pan out for that day. Sometimes it requires a few attempts before you sign, seal, and deliver! In my opinion, car buying is an anomaly.

The rag in the tailpipe was bizarre, you're not alone in thinking that. Personally, I've never heard of it until I was introduced to this case. I can't speak on the knowledge of Fred's mechanical knowledge but I'm sure he had a his alternative ways of dealing with Maura's car issues without reaching into his pocket at the time. That's the best reason I can think of for the rag in the tailpipe. Oddly, when that theory was tested, the rag was blown out as soon as the engine was revved up. From Fred's testimony, it was to cover up the excess smoke coming out of her exhaust so the cops wouldn't pull her over.

Does that mean she was driving around with a rag in the tailpipe. I googled this it brings up her case. My ex was a mechanic and I'd never heard of anything like this. If she had that in there while the car was running she could have been exposed to carbon monoxide. If she was checking for a leak that wouldn't be the same as her car smoking. That sounds unsafe.

The tailpipe makes me wonder if her accidents before could have been do to not keeping up with her car. If you let tires go you can end up hydroplaning or they can pop the minute they hit a pothole.

Exactly.

I have probably said it before, but the rag in the tailpipe really is the elephant in the room in this case. It's an obvious suicide attempt.

It doesn't sound like a way to commit suicide. It would be very very slow and you might mess up your car first. What kind of parent suggests this so cops don't see that the car is smoking? If someone else put it there than maybe they wanted her car to stall. You can use a rag to check for a leak but you don't drive around with it. Did they check the car for problems?

Does that mean she was driving around with a rag in the tailpipe. I googled this it brings up her case. My ex was a mechanic and I'd never heard of anything like this. If she had that in there while the car was running she could have been exposed to carbon monoxide. If she was checking for a leak that wouldn't be the same as her car smoking. That sounds unsafe.
No. She did not drive with the rag in the tailpipe. It was debunked on the Oxygen documentary series. She placed it in there after the crash. The first of the rumors was that someone place it in there as direct sabotage. It was later untrue since it wouldn't have even held. Maura placed it in her car per directions by her father. From the discussions I've had with other people about this case, some mentioned that the rag in the tailpipe was a distress signal. That doesn't seem far-fetched. It might have been a distress signal or maybe something indicated to a possible tandem driver that something happened. Mind you, this is pure speculation based on the evidence.

Preface: I'm not a mechanic but the information I could find was she had a blown head gasket. Fred mentioned on the Oxygen documentary that the car ceased to be useful, a cylinder was misfiring. I don't know if that makes sense. With any old car, you'll eventually run into problems but who knows if she did any preventative maintenance. If you look at the possessed property report, Maura had one can of alumaseal and power steering fluid, in addition to having a radiator funnel. As I mentioned in a prior post, it could be possible Fred taught her how to do preventative maintenance but only he would know the answer to that.

I admit the rag in the tailpipe may be odd, but it's hard to gauge why people do what they do when under the influence of alcohol, or other controlled substances.

I wonder if she put the rag in the tailpipe of the car to use as an excuse to give her dad as to why she wrecked her car? Maybe she thought that would make her dad think that was the reason the car malfunctioned and she wreck it. That way she wouldn't be directly to blame for having another automobile accident? I'm just reaching for anything to try and make sense of what might have happened that night.

No. She did not drive with the rag in the tailpipe. It was debunked on the Oxygen documentary series. She placed it in there after the crash. The first of the rumors was that someone place it in there as direct sabotage. It was later untrue since it wouldn't have even held. Maura placed it in her car per directions by her father. From the discussions I've had with other people about this case, some mentioned that the rag in the tailpipe was a distress signal. That doesn't seem far-fetched. It might have been a distress signal or maybe something indicated to a possible tandem driver that something happened. Mind you, this is pure speculation based on the evidence.

Preface: I'm not a mechanic but the information I could find was she had a blown head gasket. Fred mentioned on the Oxygen documentary that the car ceased to be useful, a cylinder was misfiring. I don't know if that makes sense. With any old car, you'll eventually run into problems but who knows if she did any preventative maintenance. If you look at the possessed property report, Maura had one can of alumaseal and power steering fluid, in addition to having a radiator funnel. As I mentioned in a prior post, it could be possible Fred taught her how to do preventative maintenance but only he would know the answer to that.

I've read up on it. It seems to be a way to check for leakage from the exhaust. I wasn't sure if Fred suggested using a rag in the tailpipe as a way to block smoke and how that worked? That was Fred's car, not her car, so it's possible she knew basic maintenance it's also possible she wasn't as familiar with that cars up keep. If the car was totalled it might have been worth more if insured than it was in driving condition.

I wonder if she put the rag in the tailpipe of the car to use as an excuse to give her dad as to why she wrecked her car? Maybe she thought that would make her dad think that was the reason the car malfunctioned and she wreck it. That way she wouldn't be directly to blame for having another automobile accident? I'm just reaching for anything to try and make sense of what might have happened that night.

I was wondering why her dad would suggest blocking the tailpipe to avoid attention from police. Did it not pass inspection or something? It sounds like bad advice.

That's an interesting thought. Maybe she figured the only person who that would understand is her father. It tries to fit the narrative that she left a distress signal for help because she wasn't able to call for help. No cell phone signal, no way of getting in contact with her father so the only way to send a message was sticking the rag in the tailpipe. Maura had to think quickly as she was gathering her belongings. She takes her keys, wallet, alcohol, and backpack. Eventually, she locks the car and takes off. The conditions were cold and she may have had been a bit undressed for the elements. Given those circumstances, Maura would have had no choice but to acquire a ride from a stranger in order to escape the cold. In the middle of nowhere where conditions are nearly pitch black, it's scary not knowing where you are or if anyone will see you driving down the road. Walking in the woods sounds ideal but it's not a solution to her problem. Taking a ride from a stranger may have been risky but what choice did she have? This is just my opinion.

It makes no sense. If the car wouldn't start what was the point of putting the rag in the tail pipe to cover excess smoke? And why would you put a rag in the tail pipe as a duress signal? You would hang the rag from the window etc. If you successfully block the exhaust on a car that has no leaks, the car will eventually stall.

And this is based on what, exactly? Quite a ways from Blue Ridge Parkway to NH. (And the CRVK is probably Delbert Tallman.)

As I say Nancy I am certain in my mind Jackson was the Connecticut River Killer. This does not mean he killed Maura but it does mean the Connecticut River Killer was active up to 2010. Here is a recent video about the case:

As I say Nancy I am certain in my mind Jackson was the Connecticut River Killer. This does not mean he killed Maura but it does mean the Connecticut River Killer was active up to 2010. Here is a recent video about the case:

There is of course nothing funny about this case. I have had tears in my eyes watching Fred search for Maura. Here is a recent blog about the case:

Maura Murray: Found? - You Are The Brightside

Of course Nancy I do mean you find the case funny and of course you care about Maura like the vast majority. Just mean it is not a nice case.

There is of course nothing funny about this case. I have had tears in my eyes watching Fred search for Maura. Here is a recent blog about the case:

Maura Murray: Found? - You Are The Brightside

Of course Nancy I do mean you find the case funny and of course you care about Maura like the vast majority. Just mean it is not a nice case.

I will finish off on this thread for a bit but my opinion was a nice young girl with a few troubles in her early life:

8aeed69965d69666e9cd0044f2df9781.jpg

disappearance of maura murray | Mysteriously Disappeared | Pinterest | Unexplained disappearances and Around the worlds

I'm watching the Code of Silence episode on Maura Murray - I never heard this about the police chief being on sight and the witness accounts, and also the state police. Wow Now I have to recheck the entire thread!

I'm watching the Code of Silence episode on Maura Murray - I never heard this about the police chief being on sight and the witness accounts, and also the state police. Wow Now I have to recheck the entire thread!
Watching now. Series originally shown 2017.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cassie.ryan18