NH NH - Maura Murray, 21, Haverhill, 9 Feb 2004 - #14

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am sure this has been discussed but I have not had time to reread all 14 threads for this case. It looks like, after looking at the accident scene etc. And accounting for the turn that Maura would have been heading in the direction one would travel if they were going back toward interstate 93 which would be a primary route back to Massachusetts.
It seems looking at a map without being familiar with the area, one might presume that getting off 93 and taking 112 across to 302 would be feasible if heading for Burlington Vermont.
Also, I am not sure about the serial killer, particularly a serial killer from out of the area, makes a lot of sense. It is a pretty remote place to be hanging out waiting for the right victim to happen along. Now if he lived in the immediate area, that would make some sense. I think it was either a spur of the moment decision to abduct Maura or she left the scene under her own power ( which I believe is more likely of the two).
One last question. Ralph Leon Jackson. Has he been tied to any other crimes, aside from the double shooting on the BRP? I have found nothing linking him to anything else. Just wondering as I see his name coming up in many threads.

I am sure this has been discussed but I have not had time to reread all 14 threads for this case. It looks like, after looking at the accident scene etc. And accounting for the turn that Maura would have been heading in the direction one would travel if they were going back toward interstate 93 which would be a primary route back to Massachusetts.
It seems looking at a map without being familiar with the area, one might presume that getting off 93 and taking 112 across to 302 would be feasible if heading for Burlington Vermont.
Also, I am not sure about the serial killer, particularly a serial killer from out of the area, makes a lot of sense. It is a pretty remote place to be hanging out waiting for the right victim to happen along. Now if he lived in the immediate area, that would make some sense. I think it was either a spur of the moment decision to abduct Maura or she left the scene under her own power ( which I believe is more likely of the two).
One last question. Ralph Leon Jackson. Has he been tied to any other crimes, aside from the double shooting on the BRP? I have found nothing linking him to anything else. Just wondering as I see his name coming up in many threads.

Interesting post. That one is my fault. As I say all theories are valid. What I will say is in my opinion a Serial Killer might like hanging about in remote areas in the dark waiting for people to be in trouble. Not me I would be scared but they might. Interesting theories though.

The only thing with the serial killer theory is this; How did he know when or if someone who fit his profile would come along? It would have to be the right person, at the right time under the right circumstances for it to all fit together. And then add in that she had a car accident, how could you plan that without waiting days or weeks for all of thew intangibles to fall into place. That is why the out of town killer aspect IMO doesn't fit.

The only thing with the serial killer theory is this; How did he know when or if someone who fit his profile would come along? It would have to be the right person, at the right time under the right circumstances for it to all fit together. And then add in that she had a car accident, how could you plan that without waiting days or weeks for all of thew intangibles to fall into place. That is why the out of town killer aspect IMO doesn't fit.

You may be right but if you study the profile dine by the profile John Philpin of the Connecticut River Valley Killer he said the killer liked to do a lot of driving looking for victims. So he is targeting an area. As I say I cannot say for certain what happened to Maura but I am certain in my mind who the Connecticut River Valley Killer is and he would be my suspect. Perhaps LE will make progress in the case and give other answers. To me is you look at the Brianna Maitland case in New England a few weeks earlier the way the car is backed into the barn is the kind of thing he would do.

I cannot find the Unsolved Mysteries segment about the New Hampshire Killer because it is no longer available but it is an interesting watch and as I say Philpin talks about the killer driving for hours and also wanting to be in control of his victims:

John Philpin

Very good post. Serial killers are typically stalkers who have a certain target they look for and choose. To come upon a random car wreck in a desolate area makes zero sense. Not a serial killer scenario here. Move along.

Does anyone know of any photos on the internet of the crash scene that were taken the day of or the day after? All I have ever seen is video taken months or years later.
Nothing that I could find. I can only imagine law enforcement would have something stored away but nothing that has been released for the public. Meanwhile, I've been trying to find the full interview Butch Atwood gave news reporters but so far have only managed to find bits of it.

You may be right but if you study the profile dine by the profile John Philpin of the Connecticut River Valley Killer he said the killer liked to do a lot of driving looking for victims. So he is targeting an area. As I say I cannot say for certain what happened to Maura but I am certain in my mind who the Connecticut River Valley Killer is and he would be my suspect. Perhaps LE will make progress in the case and give other answers. To me is you look at the Brianna Maitland case in New England a few weeks earlier the way the car is backed into the barn is the kind of thing he would do.
I understand about the killer doing a lot of driving looking for victims but it has always been my understanding that typically serial killers stay within a certain area, a comfort zone, so to speak. They may drive around excessively within that zone but in the case of the guy who killed the two folks on the Blueridge parkway, it would be a 10+ hour drive just to get to the target zone. Also I have seen nothing that indicates that he is involved in more than the two killings that he was convicted of.

I understand about the killer doing a lot of driving looking for victims but it has always been my understanding that typically serial killers stay within a certain area, a comfort zone, so to speak. They may drive around excessively within that zone but in the case of the guy who killed the two folks on the Blueridge parkway, it would be a 10+ hour drive just to get to the target zone. Also I have seen nothing that indicates that he is involved in more than the two killings that he was convicted of.

Thanks for your thoughts. It is my opinion that you have not heard of any other crimes because he committed so many and all over the US. Just another amazing coincidence his last crime was in sight of his home. I slightly disagree because I believe Serial Killers can travel large distances to commit crimes. Here is the example of Israel Keyes:

Israel Keyes - Wikipedia

Of course some killers might strike close to home as my suspect did as well.

Last edited:
I just realized something. That seems to make things make a bit more sense, at least to me. For some reason I was thinking that Maura departed from just south of Boston and would have traveled up route 93 which seemed to indicate, being the accident happened on route 112, that she may have been heading for Vermont. But after rereading, she left Amherst Massachusetts ( substantially west of Boston). That means common sense says she took 91 North and at some point ended up heading east on 112 which to me seems that she was heading to Bartlett New Hampshire. I realize most everyone probably already knew this but for some reason I had my directions crossed. The only thing is Amherst to the spot of the accident appears per Google maps to be 2.5 hours approximate. The accident happened on or about 7:30, so there is an hour and a half missing from the time line. Accounting for normal stops there is still probably around 1 hour time difference.

Last edited:
Does anyone know what happened to the car she was driving that night? Does her father have it or is it in police evidence?

Its still in police evidence. I believe it's stored still in an open outside lot.
Fred Murray did have access to it for a short time and even drove it to see if it would run while it was being stored at the tow truck drivers residence. That was in the early hours of the case when I believe they still thought it might have been just a DUI runner case.

If you Google it you will see images off it parked next to a red shipping container.

I don’t post much— but I was listening to a podcast about Maura and wanted to come here to catch up on the details.

Anyone know where threads 1-11 went? For some reason when I click on them it just takes me back to the home page? Thanks in advance!

I don’t post much— but I was listening to a podcast about Maura and wanted to come here to catch up on the details.

Anyone know where threads 1-11 went? For some reason when I click on them it just takes me back to the home page? Thanks in advance!
They probably didn’t migrate correctly when WS changed platforms last May (I think it was May). You could contact a moderator to ask if that is the case or if they were completely pulled. (Just report your own post and ask the question in the report box.)

Go to the Websleuths.com home page. From there, search for: Maura Murray. Click the box to the left that says “Title only”. That should give you the threads—the internal links don’t seem to work.

If you have any trouble finding them, pm me.

Go to the Websleuths.com home page. From there, search for: Maura Murray. Click the box to the left that says “Title only”. That should give you the threads—the internal links don’t seem to work.

Great thanks!

Great thanks!

I wonder if the glitch has to do with the changeover to the new XenForo . Not a Tech.
Anyway here is the link from the search which will save others the trouble (he thinks, lol)

https://www.websleuths.com/forums/search/4688317/?q=Maura+Murray&o=date&c[title_only]=1&c[node]=509

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member