NH NH - Maura Murray, 21, Haverhill, 9 Feb 2004 - # 2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually I do not see how there is any evidence as yet for Maura having had a plan to run away, that was carefully designed and executed ahead of the three or four days prior to her disappearance on 2.9.04.

She was in the second week of the second term of her junior year, and so far her routine with the nursing program & the two jobs & the clinical visits was pretty well established and going ok. She had been sharing a ride to clinicals because of the problems with the old car, which is why her Dad came up for that weekend.

There is spotty evidence of her getting ready to leave Amherst--the checking out of the resorts on her pc, calling to Stowe and Bartlett phone nos.

I have wondered if she checked out the old car to be sure of its operability, or even if the car was really in such bad shape after all?

And she was I feel (some think she had not yet unpacked her boxes & bags) ready to drop out of school and leave Amherst upon her return from NH, as evidenced by her room being completely packed up with stuff ready to pick up and go.

The money part is the one thing you have mentioned that would be convincing, but the family has her 2003 tax return, and if anyone knows how much she was making, and what her savings were above and beyond the $280 she withdrew from the ATM on 2/9, so far they are not speaking up.

She could have had a lot more money with her, or in a secret account, but how do we know? She could have sold the jewelry and possibly the books for some ready cash, but how much? And the latter items were left behind.

And you asked about her leaving West Point a year earlier. Her Dad has said that he helped her work through that difficult time, yet she did not confide in her Dad about her leaving Amherst the next day after they had been so much together during the weekend. This possibly supports your theory.

So don't worry about defending yourself or whatever; my only aim is to find out the truth by sticking to the facts first. I am more inductive, only settling on a theory after I am as certain as I can be of my supposed facts.

I wasn't speaking of you or any one person particularly when I mentioned being wary of having to repeatedly defend theory points as I later explained in another post response to someone else. I am sorry you do not feel there was a plan but thats your right. I hope you solve the case and if anything I turn up will help you I will certainly post it.

hydemi said:
Actually I do not see how there is any evidence as yet for Maura having had a plan to run away, that was carefully designed and executed ahead of the three or four days prior to her disappearance on 2.9.04.

She was in the second week of the second term of her junior year, and so far her routine with the nursing program & the two jobs & the clinical visits was pretty well established and going ok. She had been sharing a ride to clinicals because of the problems with the old car, which is why her Dad came up for that weekend.

There is spotty evidence of her getting ready to leave Amherst--the checking out of the resorts on her pc, calling to Stowe and Bartlett phone nos.

I have wondered if she checked out the old car to be sure of its operability, or even if the car was really in such bad shape after all?

And she was I feel (some think she had not yet unpacked her boxes & bags) ready to drop out of school and leave Amherst upon her return from NH, as evidenced by her room being completely packed up with stuff ready to pick up and go.

The money part is the one thing you have mentioned that would be convincing, but the family has her 2003 tax return, and if anyone knows how much she was making, and what her savings were above and beyond the $280 she withdrew from the ATM on 2/9, so far they are not speaking up.

She could have had a lot more money with her, or in a secret account, but how do we know? She could have sold the jewelry and possibly the books for some ready cash, but how much? And the latter items were left behind.

And you asked about her leaving West Point a year earlier. Her Dad has said that he helped her work through that difficult time, yet she did not confide in her Dad about her leaving Amherst the next day after they had been so much together during the weekend. This possibly supports your theory.

So don't worry about defending yourself or whatever; my only aim is to find out the truth by sticking to the facts first. I am more inductive, only settling on a theory after I am as certain as I can be of my supposed facts.

This past Wednesday, Maura was one of many featured missing persons in a "Adopt A Missing Person" event coordinated by Danae at Ashland University in Ashland OH.

There were two media sources which covered the vigil held there. The videos will probably not be available much longer, there doesn't seem to be a way to save them. Therefore, if interested, please watch right away.

mms://media.wmfd.com/wmfdnews/jason1117.wmv

http://www.ohionewsnow.com/

Scroll down and look for Featured Videos and “Students remember missing persons”. Between the 2 videos, nearly all of the missing loved ones in the "Adopt A Missing Person Program" by Project Jason are shown. Project Jason is headed by our highly respected and much loved Kelly Jolkowski.

If you would, please take time to thank Danae for her efforts for the missing. This is the second vigil that she organized at Ashland University.

You can email her at dleali@ashland.edu .

Bring Maura Home!
www.mauramurray.com
www.spbowers.com\mauramissing.html

http://whokilledtheresa.blogspot.com/2005/05/rattled-baby-over-you.html

sorry if this has been posted before, but have you all seen this? (thanks to another poster in a different forum who provided the link) it has a map of where many, MANY missing people have disappeared from in NH & VT. as well as a map of where some unsolved homicides occured... also with a PHOTO of brianna maitland's car, as it was found- first time i've seen that photo. some really good info... really weird how all the spots are along major highways.

The following is from Kelly Jolkowski's Blog.
It is the second in a multipart blog post, I would encourage you to read them as they are posted. Kelly is painfully aware of what a missing person’s family experiences…her son Jason is missing. Kelly, though, has gone beyond her own pain to help the families of so many missing persons

"Missing-person experts estimate that the bodies of 40,000 to 50,000 unidentified men, women and children were found by police during the past 50 years. These John, Jane and Baby Does were sent to local coroners and medical examiners for examination and then anonymously buried or cremated."

"Few states or local governments require that Doe cases be reported to any outside agency, and most coroners lack authority - and even the necessary computer links - to report directly to the FBI, the study found. "

"FBI records show 5,729 active Doe cases, only an eighth of what experts believe the actual number is. "

Article

I have been trying to compose a response to Doc Who’s ‘theory’. Someone posted the url to the posts on Maura's forum The following is the response…because I couldn’t have said it better

Thanks Pike for posting the url to Doc's posting, intriguing if one was reading a novel, but Maura's disappearance is not fiction, the facts point to a much different scenario than he/she paints of Maura's disappearance, it would be a happy outcome for everyone who loves Maura if this could possibly be so. Although many people would be sad and disappointed that Maura ran off, I'm certain that they'd prefer to have Maura alive and incognito than the other grim reality that is before them presently.

In some disappearances; they are staged for whatever reason a person wishes to make an old life disappear, however assessing the opinions of those who knew Maura which I have read here and on other forums and in the media, this seems very unlikely indeed. This is only my personal opinion.

There are several different theories for how Maura disappeared…and I’m sure the family has shared DocWho’s theory at different times. Some have pointed to the Runaway Bride…she was gone two weeks. Last week there was a body found in Hudson, NH…it was posted on Maura’s website…I can’t help but think that those who knew Maura went through agony until they found an article that reported that it was a male, believed to be over 60 years old. They believe the man has been missing for 30 years. The police say there is no record of anybody missing in the area…maybe he got a ride to the area or maybe his body was brought to the area….maybe he even took a bus. That man’s family may never know…most didn’t before they died. There is another story that was recently posted on Maura’s website about another young woman who disappeared 16 years ago…she was 15. This past weekend Connecticut Canine Search and Rescue searched for this young woman. The search was based on information obtained by a group of Private Detectives Licensed Private Detectives Association of Massachusetts. This group works with the Molly Bish Foundation. These detectives started on Jennifer’s case in February…a very cold case. Quoted from the Boston Globe:

ROCKLAND -- For months, dogs trained to sniff out human remains have searched for Jennifer Fay's resting place. Finally, after working their way through fields and private basements across Southeastern Massachusetts, investigators are hopeful they may learn the fate of the teenager who disappeared more than 16 years ago.

The 16-year-old left her home in Brockton on Nov. 14, 1989, to go to a party and never returned. Since then, her mother, Dottie MacLean, has imagined many scenarios of what could have happened to her eldest daughter. She was kidnapped. She was sucked into a cult. She was sold into the sex trade.

Now, MacLean has had to face the growing possibility that her daughter is perhaps buried somewhere in a nearby town.

''Do I want them to find her? Yes. Do I want them to find her remains? No," she said in an interview at her house yesterday. ''But that's probably where this is headed."

On Saturday, a team of about 15 private investigators, dog handlers, and search volunteers visited an overgrown field off Manley Street in West Bridgewater.

The four dogs became interested in the site, and one went into full alert, wagging its tail and jumping up and down, the strongest reaction investigators had witnessed during their searches, said Phillip White, one of the private detectives volunteering for the Jennifer Fay Investigation Team.

Boston Globe Article

First, my sincere thanks to Kelly Jolkowski, the Bish family, the members of LPDAM, CCSAR, the National Center for Missing Children and Missing adults, the Doe Network and so many others who give of themselves and their time to help families find answers, and yes, the many dedicated police who do the same.

The beginning of this post says that there are 40,000 to 50,000 unidentified bodies over 50 years. In simplistic terms that means there are approximately 10,000 per year…how many per state…you do the math. This then means that there are 40-50 thousand missing persons. The follow was found at The National Center for Missing Adults:
There are approximately 46,000 adults missing as of March 31, 2004. Of those missing, 17,439 are considered “at risk” or endangered missing; 6,309 are determined missing involuntarily; 7,691 are missing with disabilities; 1,046 are Catastrophe victims and 1,866 are placed into the “Other” category.

I don’t think anybody is counting how many were missing and found dead a year or two or 30 years later. How many were considered runaways like Aime Riley or Christina Lunceford and later found dead. Jennifer Fay was believed to be a runaway. I don’t think that all of the unidentified have been listed and I wonder how many missing are not listed because they are believed to be runaways.

Retired FBI executive Bill Hagmaier, now executive director of the International Homicide Investigators Association, said the failure to report tens of thousands of Doe cases is contributing to the rising percentage of unsolved murder cases. In 2003, the latest year for which records are available, only 62 percent of homicides were resolved, a 30-year low.

"We keep records on cars. We keep them on guns. But we don't keep records on unidentified people," Hagmaier said. "It's a national tragedy and a silent crisis."
Project Identify - NCMA

46,000 Missing Adults – 40,000 to 50,000 unidentified bodies – Did they all run off to start a new life. When we take the attitude that adults have the right to go missing, we miss the possibility that something has happened to them and we allow murderers to go free…to kill again. Ted Bundy, John Wayne Gacey, BTK………as a society, when do we start to take this seriously.

Perhaps Maura did run off, but if we just throw our hands up and ignore the possibility that somebody did her harm, we have allowed that person to continue to harm people…and quite frankly serial killers like Bundy and others counted on that. By all accounts Ted was absolutely charming, BTK a family man…how many are dead because of them???

As the poster on Maura's site said the facts (and admittedly there are few) lead the poster to believe otherwise...as I sit at my Thanksgiving table, I will give thanks that the faces of two of my three children will look back at me and pray that the third will be safe for another day and my thoughts will go to Maura's father and mother, sisters and brothers and other family members and friends and so many other families who have missing persons.

murraydwyer said:
. . .In some disappearances; they are staged for whatever reason a person wishes to make an old life disappear, however assessing the opinions of those who knew Maura which I have read here and on other forums and in the media, this seems very unlikely indeed. This is only my personal opinion.
The "plan" theory seeming unlikely to some people for emotional reasons is ok with me. I can't tell you how many times (and there were very many) that I have read where family & friends of an adult runaway have said "so and so just would never do that!" And then the cops find that person alive & well somewhere, just a runaway. It hurts, but those are the facts that L.E. live with every day. Honestly Maura has not been gone all that long as some adult runaways go. I hope she is alive and I think she might be alive and well but I don't mind trying to help you find her if she is dead. I think my theory is essentially correct but it is not my child. It is a theory and is subject to change or sudden demise in light of facts to the contrary.

In case no one noticed, my previous posts also noted possibilities that could lead to Maura's being dead and I was unable to totally rule out some of those possibilities.
Yes I also told of the "plan" theory. And that still remains the most likely one.

The "plan" theory is still just a section of the overall puzzle, like fitting together several pieces in a jigsaw puzzle.

That facts in this case, as they are currently known, support a planned disappearance. And the "plan" is so far the only theory I have read so far that manages to account for what she took with her & what she left behind. However, I don't say that she absolutely can't be dead. And I certainly never said anyone should stop trying to find her whether dead or alive. I believe I have figured out that there was a plan and most of what that plan was. I cannot, at this time, rule out that she was double crossed by her helper. But as I posted previously, at least the "plan" theory points to looking for a person, a helper, and thats a good starting point toward finding Maura whether dead or alive.

There were some who pointed out,and rightly so, that there did not seem to be much, if any, actual evidence to support the "plan" having been born in the distant past and then brought into being slowly over time. It is possible that she might have thought up her plan and put it into execution much faster than I think. How to get a new identity isn't the sort of knowledge you normally are just born with so I assumed she might have explored that possibility over time and I still think that is a good possibility.

But I don't have to be right about that part. If I am wrong about the long time involved then perhaps she spoke of her desire to leave at college and someone promised to set her up in a new identity and maybe they did that for her and maybe they double crossed her. Or maybe she is just intelligent enough to have found out how to set up a new identity quickly on her own. Each of those possibilites carries with it problems but that does not completely rule them out. It just made them seem less likely to my mind.

However the evidence still points to there having been a plan for her departure that night as I have outlined in previous posts and none of those so far who seem opposed to the "plan" theory have managed to account for all the same facts. So far they just keep repeating that she would never leave on purpose and stay gone and that is somehow supposed to wash away the facts that point to a planned disappearance. And that emotional response in some ways may be keeping Maura from being found by them since it causes one to close eyes to the facts.

murraydwyer said:
. . .Last week there was a body found in Hudson, NH…it was posted on Maura’s website…I can’t help but think that those who knew Maura went through agony until they found an article that reported that it was a male, believed to be over 60 years old. They believe the man has been missing for 30 years. . . .
This stuff about other people who are not Maura being missing seems to me an attempt at implying that most people who are missing are dead and that is just not so. If it were so then L.E. would treat every missing person report as a homicide & swing into action accordingly. We all know they do not do so. The majority of missing persons are alive. That fact does not prove anything about Maura's case other than saying it is not unreasonable to theorize her being alive in the absence of evidence to the contrary, and I only mention the fact because it seems to me that an attempt was possibly being made to make it seem as if missing persons are usually actually dead most of the time.
Each year, more than 10,000 people are reported missing to the N.C. Center for Missing Persons. Reasons for the disappearances include problems at home, health or mental issues, snags with the law, or a taste for adventure. Most eventually return or are found by law enforcement officers. Most cases do not involve foul play. Many adults who disappear don't want to be found, or they may have other problems such as memory loss, mental illness, or a history of drug use or alcoholism.
http://www.nccrimecontrol.org/index2.cfm?a=000003,000005,000081
Note:I added the bolding. And I included the link since people are quoting stats.

murraydwyer said:
. . .Perhaps Maura did run off, but if we just throw our hands up and ignore the possibility that somebody did her harm, we have allowed that person to continue to harm people…and quite frankly serial killers like Bundy and others counted on that. By all accounts Ted was absolutely charming, BTK a family man…how many are dead because of them??. . . .
To imply that my posting a theory concerning this case is tantamount to calling for everyone to throw up their hands and allow serial killers to run wild is simply nonsense and such tactics are unworthy of this forum. It certainly sounds as if it is an attempt to silence honest opinions being posted for fear of being labeled as a coddler of serial killers. I certainly hope I misunderstood that part and feel free to correct me if I am wrong about it.

If anyone thinks Maura is dead that's fine by me. It doesn't even conflict with the plan part of my theory so far. But until other information surfaces to indicate otherwise I still lean towards her being alive.

Dear Doc,

To me it is obvious, if Maura is a runaway and hopefully alive today, that she had decided to leave UMass (room packed up, etc), not to tell her Dad that weekend or to be thwarted by her family in this decision (even if she was taking off a few days first to be sure), and to break off with her boyfriend (he was the only one she was trying to contact on Monday, and presumably it was her calling on Wed am).

She did not want to be a West Pointer, to marry into regular Army, to be a nurse for the rest of her life, etc. This had to put her in potential conflict with family given that her sisters had gone to West Point, her Mom was a nurse, not to mention that she was now giving up a second fully paid education in a year without any input from them.

We differ in that I do not see the prior planning--how much money did she really have above the $280 from the ATM? had she already procured fake id including driver's licenses and soc sec number? Did she have a confederate who knows what really happened and has stayed mum?

As to her getting away from the accident scene in Swiftwater, it appears she had to get a ride at some point along route 112, whether in those first ten minutes around 7.45pm or later. Otherwise it would seem that more than one sighting of her along the road would have been reported than the contractor's alleged sighting four miles east. The instantaneous getaway whether with a confederate or a passerby remains a mystery. If a confederate, why not take all of her stuff including the blue bag in the back seat instead of only grabbing the small backpack? If a passerby, why has he not come forward with info?

hydemi said:
Dear Doc,

To me it is obvious, if Maura is a runaway and hopefully alive today, that she had decided to leave UMass (room packed up, etc), not to tell her Dad that weekend or to be thwarted by her family in this decision (even if she was taking off a few days first to be sure), and to break off with her boyfriend (he was the only one she was trying to contact on Monday, and presumably it was her calling on Wed am).

She did not want to be a West Pointer, to marry into regular Army, to be a nurse for the rest of her life, etc. This had to put her in potential conflict with family given that her sisters had gone to West Point, her Mom was a nurse, not to mention that she was now giving up a second fully paid education in a year without any input from them. . .
As you say,up to here we pretty much agree as far as I can tell.

hydemi said:
. . . We differ in that I do not see the prior planning. . .
It's Ok with me, as I said before, I can't prove how much prior planning was done so you might be right that less planning was done or that whatever planning was done took less time than I think it did. I suppose that time will tell. I commend you for looking at different angles of the case.
hydemi said:
. . .--how much money did she really have above the $280 from the ATM? had she already procured fake id including driver's licenses and soc sec number? Did she have a confederate who knows what really happened and has stayed mum?. . .
All good questions, concerning which I attempted to either answer or at least posit a possibility, in some of my previous posts. More needs to be done by L.E. or private investigator to look into that area. (Unless L.E. have quietly beat us to it.)

hydemi said:
. . . As to her getting away from the accident scene in Swiftwater, it appears she had to get a ride at some point along route 112, whether in those first ten minutes around 7.45pm or later. Otherwise it would seem that more than one sighting of her along the road would have been reported than the contractor's alleged sighting four miles east. The instantaneous getaway whether with a confederate or a passerby remains a mystery. If a confederate, why not take all of her stuff including the blue bag in the back seat instead of only grabbing the small backpack? If a passerby, why has he not come forward with info?
Again, it is good you are looking at various angles of this case.

If the confederate picked her up on the road but not at the exact car wreck location (as in even a hundred yards down the road) then all the helper would have is the backpack Maura took with her and Maura herself.

With the cops probably on the way due to Maura having already been seen there wasn't time to stop at the wrecked car and there would have been the risk of possibly also being seen while emptying out the rest of Maura's car. I think that risk would have been unacceptable to both Maura and her helper.

Why not come forward and report Maura's whereabouts? The helper might not know where she is by now. And also people often will respect the wishes of a friend in not wanting to be found and the helper has likely read news reports about Maura's case stating "there is no law against wanting to disappear" as I seem to remember having read in those same reports.

Note:Good to hear from you again.

Here is something about missing persons that I found interesting.
Note: I added the bolding.
Click the link to read the rest of the article.
. . .On the personal front, my stepson did turn up, six years later, in the U.S. Army. And it is true that when my truck was stolen last year, it was found by the police in just a few days, but I find nothing strange about that difference.

One was a strong-minded kid who didn't want to be found and looked like millions of other kids. The other one was a purple pickup truck with a license plate on it.
http://www.sptimes.com/News/052501/news_pf/Columns/Fact_is__cars_are_eas.shtml

docwho3 said:
Here is something about missing persons that I found interesting.
Note: I added the bolding.
Click the link to read the rest of the article.

See this is the kind of thing that drives me nuts. That someone can join the ARMY for crying out loud, while they are an official missing person. The classification of missing person should have more "teeth" in it, in my opinion, and allow a red flag to be placed on the person's SS#.

KatherineQ said:
See this is the kind of thing that drives me nuts. That someone can join the ARMY for crying out loud, while they are an official missing person. The classification of missing person should have more "teeth" in it, in my opinion, and allow a red flag to be placed on the person's SS#.
I agree.

I have delayed responding to the post by DocWho until I could give it the proper response…unemotionally.

The "plan" theory seeming unlikely to some people for emotional reasons is ok with me.

The quote above was referencing a post by me, however, I was quoting somebody who had posted on Maura’s forum. I think it does this person and others who disagree with the theory a disservice to state that they have or may have disagreed for “emotional reasons” (in fact this poster has not totally dismissed the “plan theory”). The particular poster being quoted has in fact spent quite a bit of time asking questions, doing research and posting information to Maura’s website…not all of which is available to a reader who only read the timeline and news articles.

However the evidence still points to there having been a plan for her departure that night as I have outlined in previous posts and none of those so far who seem opposed to the "plan" theory have managed to account for all the same facts. So far they just keep repeating that she would never leave on purpose and stay gone and that is somehow supposed to wash away the facts that point to a planned disappearance. And that emotional response in some ways may be keeping Maura from being found by them since it causes one to close eyes to the facts.

As far as I can see the evidence points to the fact that Maura had a plan to go to NH or VT. There is no evidence whatsoever that Maura planned on disappearing. Here, I would note that you also do those who are opposed to the 'plan' theory a disservice by assuming that they reacted with an emotional response and closed their eyes to anything, fact or theory. Presumably, the NHSP have looked at the facts unemotionally and, well after Maura’s disappearance, traveled to MA to retrieve Maura’s belongings and re-impounded Maura’s car and have denied repeated requests for information by the family based on the fact that it is an open and ongoing investigation by law enforcement agencies.

Maura is listed on the National Center for Missing Adults:
NMCO is dedicated to the prevention of abduction and the safe recovery of missing persons with primary focus on adults determined by law enforcement to be endangered due to foul play, diminished mental capacity, physical disability, or suspicious circumstances.
Maura is also listed in NCIC:
Entering adults into the national database (NCIC), is also limited. A report may be taken and an investigator will be assigned to all cases, but there are specific criterion for NCIC. If the missing person has a physical handicap or mental disability, if they are missing involuntarily, if they are a victim of a catastrophe or if they are in some way endangered, then the person can be placed into NCIC.

This stuff about other people who are not Maura being missing seems to me an attempt at implying that most people who are missing are dead and that is just not so.

Thank you for pointing out that my post was not clear to you, though I must say I am curious as to your confusion. You are absolutely correct, not everyone who is missing is dead…and I never meant to imply that in any way.

The majority of missing persons are alive.

As I said, I have not found any statistics that are kept on how many are missing found dead, but your statement is accurate as far as it goes…according to the Las Vegas Police, The fact is that the vast majority of reported missing persons are found or voluntarily return home within 48-72 hours after being reported. However, according to the National Center for Missing adults:
According to the Federal Bureau of Investigation, National Crime Informatin Center (NCIC) there are 47,842 active missing adult cases, with 30,622 missing adults missing one year or more (as of 7/30/04). Maura has been missing for almost two years....

Sadly, I think that your confusion stems from the fact the numbers seem to correspond in the articles I cited. There are 47,842 reported active missing adult cases and there are 40,000-50,000 reported unidentified bodies over 50 years. I in no way meant that fact A equalled fact B, but ….the fact remains that according to the articles I posted there are 40,000 to 50,000 unidentified bodies spread out over the United States…I suspect some died of natural causes that had nothing to do with any crime and will never be identified either because they were homeless or because their belongings were scattered by animals over the years. It would also appear from that Bill Hagmaier states in the article cited that not all of the unidentified bodies are reported…nor presumably are all of the missing reported.

Retired FBI executive Bill Hagmaier, now executive director of the International Homicide Investigators Association, said the failure to report tens of thousands of Doe cases is contributing to the rising percentage of unsolved murder cases. In 2003, the latest year for which records are available, only 62 percent of homicides were resolved, a 30-year low.

The point I was trying to make is that in too many of these cases, the missing cannot be 'matched' to the unidentified because of a lack of reporting as was pointed out in the article and in the blog I referenced.

If it were so then L.E. would treat every missing person report as a homicide & swing into action accordingly. We all know they do not do so.

In fact some law enforcement agencies do swing into action :
Las Vegas Metropolitan Police
The Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department Missing person Detail Investigates all cases of Missing Persons and Runaway Children.
It is the policy of the department to conduct thorough missing persons’ investigations to ascertain the possibility of a criminal act, to quickly initiate searches to reduce the possibility of harm to missing persons, and to return missing children to their families as soon as possible.

San Francisco Missing Persons Unit
Investigations regarding missing persons present a genuine challenge to law enforcement professionals. Fortunately, public awareness and concern about missing persons continues to grow, especially as it relates to missing children, persons who are mentally and physically impaired, and suspected victims of foul play. The San Francisco Police Department will investigate all persons reported missing until the person is found or determined to be a voluntarily missing adult.

San Jose, CA Police
The investigation of missing person cases takes priority over cases involving property crime. This is especially true when a case involves a missing person who is believed to be at risk. Every report of a missing person is assigned to a detective for investigation.

And according to the National Center for Missing Children (and if you read it, they are not just referring to children) they should:

National Center for Missing Children - Model Policies and Procedures
“it is essential that each response, regardless of what the initial indicators may be, should be governed by an assumption that the person is in jeopardy until significant facts to the contrary are confirmed. When officers respond with the missing person’s safety as their foremost concern, they will be more likely to collect evidence or information that might otherwise be lost during the critical, early stages of an investigation.” **

To imply that my posting a theory concerning this case is tantamount to calling for everyone to throw up their hands and allow serial killers to run wild is simply nonsense and such tactics are unworthy of this forum. It certainly sounds as if it is an attempt to silence honest opinions being posted for fear of being labeled as a coddler of serial killers. I certainly hope I misunderstood that part and feel free to correct me if I am wrong about it.

I certainly didn’t mean to imply that posting a theory was tantamount to calling for everyone to throw their hands up and allow serial killers to run wild and agree that it is nonsense. The statement I was trying to make was that when we as a society dismiss missing persons as runaways and police don’t do investigations because there is no obvious, visible evidence of a crime, evidence is missed or lost. When we as a society, agree that adults have the right to go missing we run the risk of allowing criminals to go free.

As mentioned above some police agencies are starting to take the growing number of missing persons seriously…some are still telling people that they have to wait 24-48 or even 72 hours to report a missing person. The initial actions or lack of action by police in Maura's case appear to deny the possibility that something untoward happened to Maura..although their initial press release stated that Maura might be suicidal. On February 9, 2004 all the police knew was that a 20ish young woman, who had possibly been drinking, was not at the scene of a single car accident on a very dark rural road in 12º temperatures. To all appearances, they did not even attempt to contact the owner of the car until the next day and had the car towed that night. While it is reported that they drove around looking for Maura in the pitch black, the reports available indicate that there was one direction they did not travel…east of the scene which is where the alleged sighting (not reported until April 29th) of Maura is reported to have occurred. No formal search was done for almost 36 hours, when the dog lost her scent at the scene not where she was allegedly spotted approximately five miles away an hour later. (this quote is from a news article that was not cited: Scarinza said a man, whom he declined to identify, was returning from a construction job in the Franconia area when he spotted a young woman matching Murray's description hurrying east on Route 112, about an hour after her accident....and this: NH State Police have infomed Fred Murray that a resident of Route 112 in NH has come forward saying that they saw "a youngster dressed in jeans and a dark coat moving at a fast pace, looking away from my car so as not to be seen, traveling east about 4-5 miles east of the accident site at about 8 or 8:15 pm on Monday, Feb 9th."

http://www.truckingboards.com/trucking/upload/archive/index.php/t-7022)
Now many assume she got a ride and that is why the dog lost her scent....the problem with that is that it in no way would have taken someone an hour to go 4-5 miles by car and if she had walked or run that far it seems as though some else including police could have seen her and the dog would have continued to follow the scent....with the plowed snow along the side of the road it would have been very difficult to hide along the road...easy in summer, but not that night....and if she had had an accomplice it would appear that they were pretty far behind.

As I also posted previously, it would seem that there would have been other choices one could make to ditch a car if they were planning on disappearing...especially a car not in good working order...why attempt an almost three hour drive if you have an accomplice....and because the car was registered to her father, chances that would be reported to him were far greater than if it had been left in the school parking lot where it had remained parked for a couple of weeks...why not just take off with the accomplice.

When you read the posts on Maura's website, you also find some contradictions in statements made to the press by those at or near the scene (and I am not entirely ruling out misquotes...except that some of the info is repeated in more than one paper).

The flashers in Maura's car were on...the flashers in Maura's car were off (perhaps at different times) depending on who was interviewed.

The person last known to have spoken to Maura states:
“She spun on the curve. She had no lights on, and it was a dark car. I could just about see it. I put my flashlight in the window. She was behind the airbag. All I could see was from her mouth up,” Atwood said yesterday as he stood in his driveway and pointed to the accident spot. 2/19/04 sorry I don't have the source.

The problem I have with that is that other neighbors stated that this witness didn't arrive for about 5 minutes after Maura's car was stopped...airbags deflate within less than a second...unless of course they are defective...

This person is reportedly a former police officer presumably trained to observe an accident scene. Although it is true it is reported that he offered to call the police, there are no reports that anything was done to prevent another car from hitting Maura's car, no offer of a blanket until help arrived and no offer to stay with her until help arrived...the person reports staying on the porch, but states that he couldn't see Maura's car and reports that they saw no cars stop...then the person reports going to the bus in 12º degree weather to do paper work where police knocked on the window... It sounds as though he didn't even notice the flashing lights from the emergency vehicles when they arrived.

Again the same contradictions...she was picked up at the scene or seen running an hour later, 4-5 miles away where according to what has been published no help was offered at all...yet this person appears to state that the person seen running was averting her face so as not to be seen??....it seems that some memories may be a bit hazy.

These are some of the reasons I have questions about the 'plan' theory.

murraydwyer said:
. . .The quote above was referencing a post by me, however, I was quoting somebody who had posted on Maura’s forum. I think it does this person and others who disagree with the theory a disservice to state that they have or may have disagreed for “emotional reasons” (in fact this poster has not totally dismissed the “plan theory”). The particular poster being quoted has in fact spent quite a bit of time asking questions, doing research and posting information to Maura’s website…not all of which is available to a reader who only read the timeline and news articles.
If you read some of my previous posts then you know I actually read the case discussion forum at the mauramurray.com website at hydemi's request. I won't further argue my reasons for saying what I said because the posts seem pretty self explanatory to me.

murraydwyer said:
. . .As far as I can see the evidence points to the fact that Maura had a plan to go to NH or VT. There is no evidence whatsoever that Maura planned on disappearing. . .
See my previous posts. If you don't agree that the evidence points to prior planning to at least some degree then you probably never will believe it so I won't argue the point further.

murraydwyer said:
. . .Here, I would note that you also do Maura’s family a disservice by assuming that the family has reacted with an emotional response and closed their eyes to anything, fact or theory.
It should be obvious from some of my previous points that I care about the happiness of Maura and her family. If you speak officially for the family you should say so.

I was remembering others telling me that most family and many family supporters seemed to feel Maura was not alive and had met with foul play. And I can point to news interviews where her dad was adamant in saying that she was the victem of a crime and that L.E. should treat the case as such. While I can see the emotional reponse that might drive such a request, I saw, and still see, no actual evidence to point to a crime. Therefore coming to the conclusion that it was an emotional response was not unreasonable and was in no way a slam at the family and I refuse to turn this into an argument of that nature.

Your post sounds as if it is becoming some sort of personal duel between the two of us and I will not participate in such.

murraydwyer said:
. . .Presumably, the NHSP have looked at the facts unemotionally and, well after Maura’s disappearance, traveled to MA to retrieve Maura’s belongings and re-impounded Maura’s car and have denied repeated requests for information by the family based on the fact that it is an open and ongoing investigation by law enforcement agencies.

NMCO is dedicated to the prevention of abduction and the safe recovery of missing persons with primary focus on adults determined by law enforcement to be endangered due to foul play, diminished mental capacity, physical disability, or suspicious circumstances.
Entering adults into the national database (NCIC), is also limited. A report may be taken and an investigator will be assigned to all cases, but there are specific criterion for NCIC. If the missing person has a physical handicap or mental disability, if they are missing involuntarily, if they are a victim of a catastrophe or if they are in some way endangered, then the person can be placed into NCIC. . .
Actually the L.E. seems to have believed the case an adult willful runaway until pressured by family in news interviews and calls to the governor to declare it a crime so I can't put much stock in her case now being in that listing.

murraydwyer said:
. . .Thank you for pointing out that my post was not clear to you, though I must say I am curious as to your confusion. You are absolutely correct, not everyone who is missing is dead…and I never meant to imply that in any way. . . .
I am glad you never meant to imply that as that was certainly the implication received.

murraydwyer said:
. . .As I said, I have not found any statistics that are kept on how many are found dead, but your statement is accurate as far as it goes…
Yes and that statement said that most are found and that in most cases most are not the victem of foul play. That fact that you can quote some stats to show that some smaller percentage are foul play victems does not change my statements truth.

murraydwyer said:
. . .Maura has been missing for almost two years....[/qoute] Yes she has been missing for 2 years which isn't all that long compared to some other missing adullt cases and I also posted an example of someone missing 6 years who finally turned up alive and well.

murraydwyer said:
. . .In fact some law enforcement agencies do swing into action :. . .
Yes some few do swing into action and most will do so if the missing person is 12 or under or even older if special circumstance exist to indicate foul play as opposed to willful runaway. In Maura's case there has so far been no shred of evidence made public to indicate foul play.

Even so,I believe all angles of the case and all possibilities should be agressively looked at until enough evidence surfaces to rule out some of those possibilities. Sadly,in your post, I am not seeing a tolerant attitude that allows all angles of a case to be considered for more than the few seconds it takes to dismiss them if they don't somehow describe Maura as being the innocent victem of foul play that had no plans of ever leaving home etc. No matter what the evideince to date shows.

murraydwyer said:
. . .I certainly didn’t mean to imply that posting a theory was tantamount to calling for everyone to throw their hands up and allow serial killers to run wild and agree that it is nonsense. The statement I was trying to make was that when we as a society dismiss missing persons as runaways and police don’t do investigations because there is no obvious, visible evidence of a crime, evidence is missed or lost. . . .
Evidence of foul play is not lost in most cases where the person was not in fact a victem of foul play but yes, in that other smaller number of poeple that are victems of foul play then evidence may be lost by the delay and I have posted before that I would not mind if all L.E. agressively investigated all missing persons as possible foul play as a matter of national policy. But that in no way precludes one from coming to the conclusion in some cases, as in Maura's at this time, that a person has left voluntarily, especially if, in doing so, that conclusion might even be pointing to where to look to further the investigation. And posting such a theory in no way helps bad guys as long as people look at all evidence until possibiities can be ruled out.

murraydwyer said:
. . .When we as a society, agree that adults have the right to go missing we run the risk of allowing criminals to go free. . .
Whether we like it or not the law is what it is, and in some cases it serves a good purpose. However, I would not be opposed to someone trying to get the laws changed to better help families. Maybe requiring a voluntary runaway to fill out a private form at the local police station before leaving.

murraydwyer said:
. . .Scarinza said a man, whom he declined to identify, was returning from a construction job in the Franconia area when he spotted a young woman matching Murray's description hurrying east on Route 112, about an hour after her accident. http://www.truckingboards.com/trucking/upload/archive/index.php/t-7022)
Now many assume she got a ride and that is why the dog lost her scent....the problem with that is that it in no way would have taken someone an hour to go 4-5 miles by car and if she had walked or run that far it seems as though some else including police could have seen her and the dog would have continued to follow the scent....with the plowed snow along the side of the road it would have been very difficult to hide along the road...easy in summer, but not that night....and if she had had an accomplice it would appear that they were pretty far behind.
Yes I read the same report but there was some controversy about the article but in any case it did not rule out her still having someone following along several minutes behind just in case she should run into car trouble, (which she did.)

murraydwyer said:
. . .As I also posted previously, it would seem that there would have been other choices one could make to ditch a car if they were planning on disappearing...especially a car not in good working order...why attempt an almost three hour drive if you have an accomplice....and because the car was registered to her father, chances that would be reported to him were far greater than if it had been left in the school parking lot where it had remained parked for a couple of weeks...why not just take off with the accomplice.
I already responded to this point in a previous post and will not repeat myself.

I think perhaps you and I should just agree to disagree, at least until or unless some evidence surfaces to conclusively rule out one view point or the other. If I find anything to help your view of the case I will post it. The truth is the truth and that is all I am after.

Murraydwyer:

I beg to differ, those who look at facts with an unbiased, impartial basis (which is the basis for unemotional) and logic of the facts are by no means under any misperception that Maura did not have and did not plan to "runaway". Facts trump emotion, facts trump lies. I for one have no qualms whatsoever, in stating "Maura did have a plan and did make plans to "runaway". I am not going to "rehash" all of the reason why, we all know those.

As far as I can see the evidence points to the fact that Maura had a plan to go to NH or VT. There is no evidence whatsoever that Maura planned on disappearing.

But, if Maura did not have an accident and a subsequent investigation by LE, NO one including her family, friends, boyfriend, school chums would have any idea where she went. It would have been at least seven days before any one had any idea that Maura was not in school. Thus she was disappearing.........now we know that two of the places that she looked into were NH and VT. If there was no investigation and car accident, her family would be saying today that Maura went missing.....which is exactly what she did end up doing. If I want to disappear, I am not going to tell anyone where I am going. I am just up and gone. If she only wanted to take a "vacation", she would have told her friends and family that she was going away for a week and this is where she was going if they needed to reach her.

Here, I would note that you also do Maura’s family a disservice by assuming that the family has reacted with an emotional response and closed their eyes to anything, fact or theory.

Oh please, don't get me started on this family. When people go missing voluntarily, especially a young adult and then does not contact her family. She feels she is "punishing" them for their past behavour and treatment of her or perceived treatment. What better sources of control and power over family members and what better way to hurt them then to disappear and not contact them. As far and the missing person is concerned, why would he/she contact family members, nothing is suddenly going to change their family situation, they have "washed their hands" of their family by going missing and not contacting them. It is for the benefit of the family, not the missing person to establish contact with the missing person. If the missing person feels anger towards the family, you can bet your bottom dollar that this will only "spur" the missing person not to contact them. This is a form of independance and control and power.

Presumably, the NHSP have looked at the facts unemotionally and, well after Maura’s disappearance, traveled to MA to retrieve Maura’s belongings and re-impounded Maura’s car and have denied repeated requests for information by the family based on the fact that it is an open and ongoing investigation by law enforcement agencies.
LE has from the start stated REPEATEDLY, that Maura ran away. They have never said this is suspicious, that foul play may be involved, that they are looking for a suspect. Please..............this is an open voluntary missing person case until someday, there is any evidence discovered to change that. We all know that the familly is not legally entitled to any information about Maura unless Maura signed a release giving permission to share with a third person. Considering the "history of the family and LE" little wonder LE has not viewed the family in a positive light. LE cannot release any information on this case due to the FOIA.

Entering adults into the national database (NCIC), is also limited. A report may be taken and an investigator will be assigned to all cases, but there are specific criterion for NCIC. If the missing person has a physical handicap or mental disability, if they are missing involuntarily, if they are a victim of a catastrophe or if they are in some way endangered, then the person can be placed into NCIC.

One of the circumstances of being listed in the NCIC is that the person is missing under unexplained circumstances. It does not mean that this person is in any immediate danger to themselves, but that they did not tell anyone of their plan to disappear. If a person's body is located, it has a better chance of being identified if listed in the NCIC database. Therefore if she did harm herself, suffered from the elements etc. and her body found, it can be more easily identified. When a person is listed as endangered, it means that the person is in danger of harm because of a physical or mental condition. We have been through this before......time and time again. Endangered is not from a danger from another person, but of the personal circumstances of the missing adult. Often when a persons circumstances is not known, they suddenly become endangered because that will enable LE and family to list them as that as a type of alert. If the person is found and listed as missing and endangered, the Police can stop them. Of course this increases the faimlies chance of finding the "endangered adult", not just another run of the mill missing person who does not and will not get any extra attention. A son goes missing and when the family reports to Police they know they will get more attention and resourses if they say that the person is suicidal and or depressed. Those two terms will ensure that the person is now "endangered". The family knows that their missing son is not suicidal or depressed, but this is a tool they can employ to help them find their missing son who voluntarly ranaway.

Now if a person does missing, was seen being dragged out of her car by the hair and thrown into a car. Well that person is kidnapped, but also a missing adult and in danger.

From Las Vegas
Because being a missing person is not a crime, police are given a very limited role while conducting these types of investigations. As a general rule, all people have a right to be left alone, and police intrusion into their lives must be minimal. However, in cases where "foul play" exists, police can investigate just like any other criminal act. Also, in cases where the missing person is "endangered" due to medical problems, or life-threatening situations, police will investigate.

Once the missing person is found by police, the department will notify the person who made the report. However, police cannot disclose the location or whereabouts of the missing person without that person’s consent.

Please.........all missing person departments make a report and will do a cusory exam of the home, car etc to determine if a crime has occurred. A person may be listed as missing by Mom and when they do over to her house, she has moved out. Address unknown. Or LE may go to the home and find blood on the floor and the house in disaray. In both circumstances, LE is following up on a missing person report. In one case no follow up is required, in the other case, foul play is suspected.

The San Francisco Police Department will investigate all persons reported missing until the person is found or determined to be a voluntarily missing adult.

LE in NH did investigate and they determined Maura to be a voluntary missing adult. So what was your point.......

The investigation of missing person cases takes priority over cases involving property crime. This is especially true when a case involves a missing person who is believed to be at risk. Every report of a missing person is assigned to a detective for investigation.

You mean that LE puts a person in higher priority over property belonging to someone. I am soooooo shocked, especially if the person is listed as endangered due to personal or medical circumstances. I guess it would be very bad PR for a family to go to the press and say: Our 75 year old grandmother who has diabetes and needs daily meds, does not speak english and has trouble walking was not as high as a priority as the car that was stolen.

Again your point was........

Please don't even THINK about referencing anything about minor children. Maura is an adult of 21 years of age, not 12.

People may have a learning curve when it comes to what other people want to do with their lives. If they want to join the army, then there are privacy issues in place that will ensure that if they are an adult, no one else needs to be notified. Why you ask........because at 21, go off to Tahiti for a year, travel South American, work in England. In other words, you can do what ever you want with your life without answering to others. That what makes being an adult so cool, don't you think. Ask any teenanger and they are counting the days till they are an adult and not under Mom and Dad "guidence", supervision and control. making your own decision in your life is called being an adult.

I am kind of glad that Maura was true to herself, instead of marrying a man she might not have wanted to, be an army wife, finish school when she really did not want to be a nurse, go the the school her Dad went to, the career her Mom entered, working as a nurse when she was not happy in her career choice. Her whole life was mapped out for her.....in years to come I am sure she may have resented and regretted that she did not do what she wanted to do with her life on her own terms.

By running away, Maura can do whatever she wants to do with her own life with complete independence and freedom and make her own choices for herself. No one except Maura would have any influence over what ever she decided to do. Again Maura is an adult and she if perfectly free to do whatever in her life that she wanted to do. That includes choosing to disappear and not contact her family.

This case is just impossible.

You have a full grown woman, with adult rights, who obviously wanted to run away and not tell anyone where she was going.

Then, she runs into trouble and it's believable something other than what she intended to happen, i.e., that she would disappear and no one would be able to know where she went (at least for a period of time). And so when she wanted to disappear safely and go somewhere she had picked out, her plans went awry and now maybe she's run into horrible trouble.

There isn't any legal solution in our country, except to wait an agonizing 7 years and declare her dead. Then, they can do a very simple search of her SS# and answer the question in a matter of minutes whether she's living or not.

How horrible. If I were a member of her family, I'd find some way to pay off a SS employee and discover whether there's been any employment on her number.

I agree, this case is heartwrenching and has been for a long time. But at this point I believe she has met with foul play.

KatherineQ said:
. . . .And so when she wanted to disappear safely and go somewhere she had picked out, her plans went awry and now maybe she's run into horrible trouble. . .
What you say is indeed possible and I hope that she is ok. Eventually the truth may come out. Some cold cases get solved even after 30 years. I wonder what the answer will turn out to be.

Praying for Maura's return to the family and friends who love her. Regardless of the circumstances of her disappearance, we all want her found...hopefully safe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member