NH NH - Maura Murray, 21, Haverhill, 9 Feb 2004 - # 6

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope they find at least one clue like her backpack or the bottle of Baileys --something----anything!

Part of me thinks she is somewhere, in the woods, off the side of a road. Although, I think she would have had a very hard time seeing her way down the road. The area is so dark at night. One could easily become disoriented. It would have been almost impossible to make any headway. One could literally walk off the road accidently. All signs seem to indicate that she had headed east, which goes deeper into the wilderness. One mystery in this case: Did she have a flashlight? None of the news articles mention a flashlight. They do mention the emergency kit in the trunk. The rag, found in the tailpipe, was from the kit, but no other emergency kit item was mentioned. I might be wrong, but this is what I recollect.

I dread to say it but if she did perish in the woods the above mentioned items may be the only remains to be found. rt.112 is desolate, dark and unforgiving for those not familiar with it in bad weather. She did have I believe it was Tylenol with sleep aid, perhaps if she did hit her head in the accident of received other injuries she may have taken some after she left the scene and with the effects of the alcohol got disoriented and wandered off and perished or if she did run away she started to perspire and got hypothermia which usually causes delusion and which leads to death. Oddly many who die from hypothermia are found with some their clothing removed. Atwood said when he talked to Maura at the accident scene she was shivering.

As I stated previously the dog losing the scent is no surprise as they used an air scent dog and not a ground scent dog and a couple days had passed with traffic and the many other searchers having walked the same ground. Also there is controversy over the glove used as the scent sample ever having been worn by Maura. I have reread newspaper accounts and accordingly the description of the persons clothing the contractor gave of the person seen running 4-5 miles away exactly matched that of what Maura was wearing. Also he was NOT interviewed until 10 days after the accident and claims when he was interviewed he got dates and times mixed up until almost 3 month's later when he checked his work record after a friend convinced him and realized it was the 9th and not the 11th he saw the person running. Lastly its damn sad the police and searchers NEVER searched easterly on rt.112 that night, only westerly. Which may make sense that Maura would run that way as she would conclude PD would be arriving from rt 302 which is westerly.

I know there are people on this forum that won’t agree with my take on the Maura Murray disappearance. They think that here has to be more to it. It’s actually pretty simple if you know the area, have seen the vehicle, and read everything about it.

I have read everything on the internet about the Maura Murray case, have seen the vehicle, I know the area, and this is what I think.

I think Maura Murray was dumping her boyfriend for someone new that only her sisters may have know about.

I don't think that Maura Murray was driving the car the night of the accident. I think the accident was staged. I saw the car at the auto body lot within a week of the accident and knew right away that the damage to the vehicle could not have come from the accident scene. There was far too much front end damage to be caused by a snow bank. There was no way she hit a tree as there was a guard rail behind the packed snow bank. After the accident the guard rail still wasn't showing where it was hit. The snow bank absorbed the impact. I have taken auto body classes and worked with metal as a hobby for the last 20 years.

Maura Murray called her sister the night before the accident. I think that the sister helped set this up. The police did not believe what the sister had to say to them.

Parents don't always know what their kids are up to and often come out and say "Not my child. My child couldn't do anything like that". They try to believe that their children don't have any evil tendencies. Maura Murray lied to a lot of people prior to the accident. If she was that good at telling a lie then perhaps she was duping people right along and they didn't see through her.

She most likely staged the accident and subsequent disappearance to be with some one that she knew her parents and friends would not approve of.

The father said he thought that she met with foul play from some dirt bag in the area. There are more dirt bags per square inch in Weymouth than in the entire area that the accident was in. I live just south of Boston and spend a lot of time in Weymouth so I know what I'm talking about here.

Then there is the question of the UMass student from Dorchester that was run down by a hit and run driver. I believe that Maura Murray was the driver in that accident as well. Her perceived mental breakdown as it was put was because she found out that the person did not die and was in serious condition. This gives her a chance to make a getaway before the person can point the finger at her. But what if the person wakes up and fingers her right away. This was more than likely what the call to the sister was about.

Maura Murray did like her booze contrary to some of the posters beliefs. She would put Bailey's in her morning coffee. This is a true sign of a person that has an alcohol dependency.

My final thought is regarding Fred Murray. You need to look a little more into his background. Does he have a criminal record either as an adult or a juvenile? If so what was the offence.

Take the Murray family in for questioning and have them submit to polygraph tests. This will eliminate anyone that is holding back information about this case.

Maura Murray is living somewhere up north. She probably got married and has changed her name. She is probably working as an aid in the medical profession under her new name. She made a decision to run and start a new life.

Neil

Catching up on some cases, and thanks here, Neil, just isn't enough. For years, starting with the first day I heard of this, right after this happened, until not too long ago, I have really studied this case, I have volumes of research.

What you have stated above is my personal theory, almost to a T. A couple things I don't have - the info on FM's background, for example, but otherwise I think you are spot on!

Thanks so much for sharing this!

Rosie

I read a plausable explanation for this. Maura's mother said that Maura took practically everything home from her dorm room home on winter break.
Maura just didn't take the time to unpack yet. She was just back to school from break for something like 2 weeks (not sure of exact time). Since reading this explanation, I've disregarded the "packed boxes" mystery. It isn't a mystery anymore, because Maura's mother's explanation made sense.

I have to ask something I have always wondered? Why would she pack practically everything on winter break? Now, it has indeed been a long time since I went to school. I lived on campus two years and didn't pack everything on breaks. I took valuables and what I needed, but, left most things there, and left things out - or in drawers, on desk, on walls etc.

Is packing up over breaks normal now? In some places? Family in school now and in the recent past say no packing up on breaks, but, could this be regional?

TIA
Rosie

I have to ask something I have always wondered? Why would she pack practically everything on winter break? Now, it has indeed been a long time since I went to school. I lived on campus two years and didn't pack everything on breaks. I took valuables and what I needed, but, left most things there, and left things out - or in drawers, on desk, on walls etc.

Is packing up over breaks normal now? In some places? Family in school now and in the recent past say no packing up on breaks, but, could this be regional?

TIA
Rosie

Its believed she never unpacked from the previous vacation, Sharon Rausch said maura was known to live out her suitcase as she didn't unpack her belongings.

TIA
Rosie

I don't know how long the winter break is at the UMass-Amherst, but when I was in college it was about 6 weeks. I think it started before Christmas and ended the first week in Feb. This may seem like a long time to a college student. She may not have packed everything--only most of her stuff.

I always wondered if Maura had planned to move into a different dorm room, and if that was true, if that info never came out.

Another thing I've always wondered about - I need someone car savvy to help with this one: First - is it true that cars from that era like hers could "sense" if there was a passenger sitting on the passenger side? If so, if the airbag needed to be deployed, would the airbag on the passenger side deploy IF the car sensed a person sitting there, OR would it deploy no matter what? If I remember correctly, it showed in pics (sorry, no link... I just think I can remember seeing this) that the passenger side airbag did deploy.
TIA~!

I always wondered if Maura had planned to move into a different dorm room, and if that was true, if that info never came out.

Another thing I've always wondered about - I need someone car savvy to help with this one: First - is it true that cars from that era like hers could "sense" if there was a passenger sitting on the passenger side? If so, if the airbag needed to be deployed, would the airbag on the passenger side deploy IF the car sensed a person sitting there, OR would it deploy no matter what? If I remember correctly, it showed in pics (sorry, no link... I just think I can remember seeing this) that the passenger side airbag did deploy.
TIA~!

Good question. Her car did have dual airbags. They became standard in 1995 in all Saturns. She drove a 1996. I know on high end cars (BMW), they have sensors. I'll see, if i can find the answer.

I've always felt like Maura was harboring some really big "secrets." It's unsettling the way some very driven, successful, accomplished people can hide their inner turmoil. Not saying she committed suicide, but where was she going, and was she planning on meeting someone there? Did she, possibly, meet someone on line? A fair amount of alcohol in her car I believe -- all for her?? I think she may have decided to ditch her car and not stick around for the police -- but -- how well was the home and surrounding area searched of the last person to see her, I wonder.

TIA~!

Here is a lot of info on the airbag:
http://www.statemaster.com/encyclopedia/Airbag

I doubt Maura's 1996 Saturn had occupancy sensor airbags. Saturn only offered a driver's side airbag as an option in 1992 (I had a 1992 Saturn-bought new in 1992). Both driver and passenger airbags became standard in Saturns in 1995, but I don't think they were equipped with a occupant sensor, only a sensor for a crash. All the specs I read on the 1996 Saturn have indicated driver and passenger airbags, but didn't elaborate, which makes me think the car's airbags didn't have the occupant sensor. Manufacturers usually elaborate features that are selling points.

I've always felt like Maura was harboring some really big "secrets." It's unsettling the way some very driven, successful, accomplished people can hide their inner turmoil. Not saying she committed suicide, but where was she going, and was she planning on meeting someone there? Did she, possibly, meet someone on line? A fair amount of alcohol in her car I believe -- all for her?? I think she may have decided to ditch her car and not stick around for the police -- but -- how well was the home and surrounding area searched of the last person to see her, I wonder.

The problem I have with her meeting someone in NH or following someone there is that there is no evidence. Her computer was examined by the authorities and all her phone records were also checked for clues. One wonders how she communicated with the mystery man she was supposed to have met up with in New Hampshire. I think her secrets may have been personal problems, perhaps something like bulimia or liking alcohol too much. Although, she could have just overreacted to crashing her Dad's car. Her Dad may have acted more upset with Maura than he had stated to the media. For which, I don't blame him. Maura really screwed up. She could have hurt herself or someone else. Not to mention, she caused thousands of dollars of damage to a brand new car. I'm pretty sure her Dad had a deductible. Most people do. He was there to buy HER a car, but what does she do? Wrecks his new car! I'm sure he went through the roof! Note how he is with the NH police. He took them to court! He doesn't seem like the kind of guy to say nothing when dumb things happen.

True enough, McSpy. And I don't know how close Maura was to her parents/family. I would have suffered some kind of consequences too -- probably been yelled at -- but -- I wouldn't have run off and not told anyone where I was going --- did she indicate to anyone that she was going on a getaway for some R&R --or was this excursion a secret? And if it was a secret, why? I surely appreciate people wanting to get away from it all for a while, but to not communicate your intentions has the flavor of hiding something. Do you think she was planning on committing suicide -- or was she just trying to get out of dodge for a while, and this accident happened

True enough, McSpy. And I don't know how close Maura was to her parents/family. I would have suffered some kind of consequences too -- probably been yelled at -- but -- I wouldn't have run off and not told anyone where I was going --- did she indicate to anyone that she was going on a getaway for some R&R --or was this excursion a secret? And if it was a secret, why? I surely appreciate people wanting to get away from it all for a while, but to not communicate your intentions has the flavor of hiding something. Do you think she was planning on committing suicide -- or was she just trying to get out of dodge for a while, and this accident happened

I think she was trying to get out of Dodge for awhile. Although, her hasty reaction was so reckless, she might have put her safety on the back burner, because she didn't give a hoot anymore---at least for the moment. In a sense, she was almost suicidal, but I think she was just emotional. Her emotional state lead to carelessness. I try to keep her age (young adult) in context with her actions. If she had the chance to sleep on it for a day or 2, she may have calmed down and went on with her life. When she emailed Billy before her trip to NH, she told him she didn't feel much like talking. I feel, she wanted to be alone. Some people rather hibernate. Others would rather seek an ear, when they have problems. I get the feeling Maura was the hibernating type, so it fits her hasty trip up to NH. She wanted to be alone or to just get away from it all. However, I may be way off base. I don't know her or her family. Sometimes a new clue or a piece of info can lead to other theories.

Good analysis, McSpy. Often times I think we're working in somewhat of a vacumm with these cases because there is always information being withheld -- and we have to try to discern what that missing info is -- because it could be critical to the nature of the case. Had Maura received any counseling? Did she have serious alcohol/depression issues? Was she having second thoughts about her relationship? Her career? Did she feel like she wasn't measuring up? Was she tired of keeping up the facade of being happy? As depressed as I've been at times, and there have been some pretty dark times, I still think I would have shared with someoen where I was going -- out of concern for their feelings, and also not wanting people to go on a manhunt for me. Did Maura not care how other people felt? Was she that low that the feelings of others weren't a factor for her? What is the one clue we are missing here

I tend to feel Maura also left to get her head straight, she was in deep emotional turmoil but not suicidal, then she wrecks the second car in 3 days, now we have a crisis. She is a complicated girl as Sharon Rausch said, and she has issues before all of these events. Maura is now facing at the very least a citation for open container and perhaps a DUI. This explains her telling Atwood not to call the police and now she goes in panic mode, she likely has been drinking and now her emotions are in control.

Atwood said she was cold and shivering when he talked to her, and if she ran from the scene and perspired we now have potential for hypothermia and having alcohol and having over the counter pain/sleep tablets with her who knows what her thoughts are. Stress, alcohol, fatigue, pills and loss of self worth equal disaster.

The only fly in the ointment for me is the contractor who's statements are conflicting to say the least. Either he's flaky, lives in an extremely fatigued state, drinks, or there is a whole lot more to the story. I also wonder if he was ever interviewed by the police as a suspect? I have read most everything printed and from what I can gather all residents in the immediate area were viewed as witnesses by police. Then again we don't know all the facts and any good investigator keeps his cards close.

I don't believe the cold case unit will bring any light to this mystery if Maura did in fact wonder off and perish. The only way is if it was a crime or she left willingly to start a new life which I seriously doubt. I have hunted this area 35 years ago and not much has changed and have driven rt.112 recently and it is desolate and vast. I don't see people hiking off the trails due to the heavy brush, wetlands, and steep terrain. Also a river runs alongside the road and I don't see hunters going there either and they don't like to navigate that type of terrain and it is very difficult to hunt. I think if Maura perished out there and she is found it will be a miraculous fluke, but I wouldn't bet on it. People that have disappeared off hiking trials in N.H. that are found are usually close to the trail, and some are never found. Like the book that Maura had in her car ( not without peril ) talks about the mountains of N.H. and the lives lost.

I do wonder how thoroughly those woods were searched. I mean, it was February, lots of snow, tough terrain, and if you look at those photos of the windshield...if the cracks were from the inside out as the photo claimed, then Maura probably had a pretty good head injury going on (whether she was bleeding or not). Intoxicated, possibly with a head injury, not enough clothing...she could have walked just far enough to get permanently lost, and perished. Let's not forget, this girl ran cross-country...she was in great shape physically.

I wouldn't be surprised if she wasn't still out in those woods somewhere. Sometimes the simplest explanation is the right one (even if they've gone over those woods with a fine tooth comb, they still could have missed something).

I do wonder how thoroughly those woods were searched. I mean, it was February, lots of snow, tough terrain, and if you look at those photos of the windshield...if the cracks were from the inside out as the photo claimed, then Maura probably had a pretty good head injury going on (whether she was bleeding or not). Intoxicated, possibly with a head injury, not enough clothing...she could have walked just far enough to get permanently lost, and perished. Let's not forget, this girl ran cross-country...she was in great shape physically.

I wouldn't be surprised if she wasn't still out in those woods somewhere. Sometimes the simplest explanation is the right one (even if they've gone over those woods with a fine tooth comb, they still could have missed something).

You are correct that she could be out in the woods but she didn't have a head injury. Those marks are not consistent with a head impact. I have seem my fair share of head impacts and that doesn't appear to be one to me at all. You are also correct that she was in good shape. It was not that cold that night and even lightly clothed she could have stay plenty warm if she was running. When she stopped, that would be the issue, when hypothermia cold have settled in. Also, there was no mention that she was cold by the bus driver, only that she was shivering. You can try to make the jump that she was cold and that why she was shivering but there could be other reasons.

Bill

Excellent analysis and input all, thank you. NHWoodsman, Alphra, McSpy, wholelottarosie, and all others here -- thank you.

I don't think we know all there is to know about the contractor.

Thanks for all the intelligent comments, insight and info on the car.

I apologize in advance for my question -- I have followed this case from the beginning, but I don't have a link or don't remember where I read this...BUT...wasn't there some talk about a possible sighting of Maura at a church on Father's Day (the first Father's Day after she disappeared). Do any of you remember that, and if so... thoughts?

This case has haunted me from day one. I suppose she reminds me of my own daughter.

TIA.

You are correct that she could be out in the woods but she didn't have a head injury. Those marks are not consistent with a head impact. I have seem my fair share of head impacts and that doesn't appear to be one to me at all. You are also correct that she was in good shape. It was not that cold that night and even lightly clothed she could have stay plenty warm if she was running. When she stopped, that would be the issue, when hypothermia cold have settled in. Also, there was no mention that she was cold by the bus driver, only that she was shivering. You can try to make the jump that she was cold and that why she was shivering but there could be other reasons.

Bill

Maybe Maura's shivering was actually adrenaline caused trembling, because of the shock of the accident. It makes me wonder if she was dressed properly for 30 F temps. I don't think she had planned to spend much time outdoors at the time. She didn't even take her gloves.

I tend to feel Maura also left to get her head straight, she was in deep emotional turmoil but not suicidal, then she wrecks the second car in 3 days, now we have a crisis. She is a complicated girl as Sharon Rausch said, and she has issues before all of these events. Maura is now facing at the very least a citation for open container and perhaps a DUI. This explains her telling Atwood not to call the police and now she goes in panic mode, she likely has been drinking and now her emotions are in control.

Atwood said she was cold and shivering when he talked to her, and if she ran from the scene and perspired we now have potential for hypothermia and having alcohol and having over the counter pain/sleep tablets with her who knows what her thoughts are. Stress, alcohol, fatigue, pills and loss of self worth equal disaster.

The only fly in the ointment for me is the contractor who's statements are conflicting to say the least. Either he's flaky, lives in an extremely fatigued state, drinks, or there is a whole lot more to the story. I also wonder if he was ever interviewed by the police as a suspect? I have read most everything printed and from what I can gather all residents in the immediate area were viewed as witnesses by police. Then again we don't know all the facts and any good investigator keeps his cards close.

I don't believe the cold case unit will bring any light to this mystery if Maura did in fact wonder off and perish. The only way is if it was a crime or she left willingly to start a new life which I seriously doubt. I have hunted this area 35 years ago and not much has changed and have driven rt.112 recently and it is desolate and vast. I don't see people hiking off the trails due to the heavy brush, wetlands, and steep terrain. Also a river runs alongside the road and I don't see hunters going there either and they don't like to navigate that type of terrain and it is very difficult to hunt. I think if Maura perished out there and she is found it will be a miraculous fluke, but I wouldn't bet on it. People that have disappeared off hiking trials in N.H. that are found are usually close to the trail, and some are never found. Like the book that Maura had in her car ( not without peril ) talks about the mountains of N.H. and the lives lost.

I agree. A surveyor or road construction crew are about the only possible people, who might find her, if she did perish in the woods in that area. Another possibility of finding Maura in that area: a vehicle breaking down and the motorist needing to take a pee break off the road, while he or she waits for help. This is about it. I can't see that any other activity would bring anybody into the thick woods that close to the road.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leahruss