NH NH - Maura Murray, 21, Haverhill, 9 Feb 2004 - # 6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you all for the clarification. I was not aware of Maura's case until watching the episode of Disappeared. I was able to learn a lot about the case through this site, as well as the Topix :( site. I am surprised I had not heard this before. Do you think Maura would have been able to drive away? If so, how can anyone assume she left of her own accord. Why would she not have just driven away?

Let me try this again.

Again, I should point out that he only claimed to start the car, not drive the car. And even IF the car was drivable Maura likely might not have been able to get the car out of where she had it, if it was stuck. There is also the question if she knew enough to put the car into park or neutral in order to start the car after the crash. After the crash the car transmission would have been in drive. If she had not placed the transmission back into park or some cars can also use neutral she would not have been able to start the car.

<modsnip>

Bill

I know this case is old....and I have not read through the old threads yet...but if I need to I will. My question is with the bus driver. Did he ever give permission for LE to check out his place? IIRC....didn't he have some barns on his property?

I think if I recall correctly, one of the tires was flat.

I know this case is old....and I have not read through the old threads yet...but if I need to I will. My question is with the bus driver. Did he ever give permission for LE to check out his place? IIRC....didn't he have some barns on his property?

I don't know if the police even asked to check out his property, but I did hear that the bus driver was a hoarder. He lived in his mother-in-law's house and she kicked them out (he and his wife) because of his out of control hoarding. Apparently, it was ruining the property or at least bugging her. This info is not confirmed. I got it from a forum somewhere. Could have been here on Websleuths.

Let me try this again.

Again, I should point out that he only claimed to start the car, not drive the car. And even IF the car was drivable Maura likely might not have been able to get the car out of where she had it, if it was stuck. There is also the question if she knew enough to put the car into park or neutral in order to start the car after the crash. After the crash the car transmission would have been in drive. If she had not placed the transmission back into park or some cars can also use neutral she would not have been able to start the car.

<modsnip>

Bill

I think her car was stuck in a ditch. Although, I can see someone not realizing the car is still in drive, if the car stalled out from the accident. I'm sure Maura was rattled from the accident, which could have caused her to not to think clearly at that moment.

Calypso Soldier I stated the same thing in an earlier post. I have lived in New England all my life and have seen NUMEROUS cars verses trees. In my honest opinion Maura's car certainly did not hit that big pine tree. So it makes no sense to me at all. Her car looked like frozen snow bank damage at the most and I would have to say not even at a high rate of speed.

The Farm....Totally agree

I would bet "The Farm" that the car did not come in contact with any of those trees at the scene or anywhere else for that matter.

I don't know if she hit a tree or not, but keep in mind that the Saturn has plastic parts (fenders, doors, bumpers, etc.) but the hood is metal. The presentation of damage shows differently compared to autos with all metal parts. Also to clarify further, the parts are a hard flexible plastic---not fiberglass. This flexible plastic tends to rip or split--not shatter.

The plastic parts on the Saturn are dent resistant polymer.

I'm wonder if there were tire impressions in the snow that went up the snowbank and into the tree. If so, this may have been why the police came to the conclusion that she had hit that particular tree. Although, I don't see what difference it would make which tree she hit. If she had hit and damaged public or private property (fence, sign, telephone pole) then I can see the police being more specific in their report, because of insurance claims.

Remembering Maura and all of her loved ones with thoughts and prayers.

Without any additional information than when her family first learned of her missing, today, November 9, 2010, Maura has been missing 6 years and 9 months. So much heartache........Too Long! :banghead:

For years, I was a member of the two forums on Maura Murray. At the time, I would copy postings that I found of interest and save in a document. I've been cleaning up documents on one of those computers and I sat down and re-read some of them. Doing this made me start thinking again about some of the mysteries regarding the disappearance of Maura Murray. One of those postings that piqued my interest is below. Sharon, who is the mother of Billy (Maura's boyfriend), posted this below regarding the alleged soda bottle underneath the car that had an alcoholic odor. This bottle was discovered when her car was towed away from the scene....

"I may be wrong, because at the time I was not especially interested in a soda bottle - as Helena mentioned, I am pretty certain that it was a cherry mountain dew bottle.....but I am fairly certain that i was told by billy that the police asked him about a plastic soda bottle they found INSIDE of that car -- to support my recall is that Billy and Fred were asked about a stick of licorice in the bottle. fyi: whenever possible, Maura used red licorice as a straw---i cannot imagine that the licorice would have stayed in the bottle if the bottle had been discarded in any manner outside of the car....and i cannot imagine the police questioning about the licorice IF it had been outside of the bottle...."

Somewhere, someone knows something about the disappearance of Maura Murray

Also, the Bus driver, Butch Atwood is desceased; he died from natural causes & if anyone has not see the "Disppeared" show about Maura's case, It is up on Youtube.

Does anyone else think that the phone call Billy got was definitely from Maura? It would be amazing coincidence to have a random call out of nowhere like that and have it be nothing.
If that was the case that it was her then she made it somewhere... but where?

Does anyone else think that the phone call Billy got was definitely from Maura? It would be amazing coincidence to have a random call out of nowhere like that and have it be nothing.
If that was the case that it was her then she made it somewhere... but where?

I don't think anyone can say that it was definitely from her or not. It wasn't from her cell phone number, but supposedly from a Red Cross calling card. From what I have read, the police have dismissed the call as being from Maura.

Definitely can't say for sure about the phone call, but I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that the chances of someone getting a completely random call from a whimpering, sniffling female is pretty much unfathomable to come out of nowhere.

But let's look at this, Maura leaves town with cell phone and charger, but after crashing and not finding a place to stay she has no place to charge her phone, which may have a dead battery at this point.
Being in nursing, is it possible at all that she had come into contact with a Red Cross card? It wouldn't even have to be a Red Cross station... Or is it hard to imagine her finding a way to a shelter or something of that nature where she picked one up from the Red Cross, maybe not even the red cross so to speak, but something they had left at a shelter...

So, she finds a payphone....
I just find this far too random to have been someone else.

Definitely can't say for sure about the phone call, but I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that the chances of someone getting a completely random call from a whimpering, sniffling female is pretty much unfathomable to come out of nowhere.

But let's look at this, Maura leaves town with cell phone and charger, but after crashing and not finding a place to stay she has no place to charge her phone, which may have a dead battery at this point.
Being in nursing, is it possible at all that she had come into contact with a Red Cross card? It wouldn't even have to be a Red Cross station... Or is it hard to imagine her finding a way to a shelter or something of that nature where she picked one up from the Red Cross, maybe not even the red cross so to speak, but something they had left at a shelter...

So, she finds a payphone....
I just find this far too random to have been someone else.

Do they have shelters in those towns around RT. 112 and Rt. 116? If so, would they have asked her name? Her disappearance was news up there. Wouldn't someone have come forward if Maura stayed at a shelter?
Although, it's possible she used a land line somewhere with a calling card. Does anyone know if there is a phone available near the campsites along Rt. 112? Maybe there is a phone which she knew about at the camping area she stayed at with her family.

Wasn't LE able to find out from what phone number that call had been made? It seems impossible that they couldn't...or are calling calls totally untraceable?

It seems very unlikely to me that her boyfriend received a call like that, and it wasn't Maura, or about her...

Wasn't LE able to find out from what phone number that call had been made? It seems impossible that they couldn't...or are calling calls totally untraceable?

It seems very unlikely to me that her boyfriend received a call like that, and it wasn't Maura, or about her...

I have never seen the answer to your question and think surely this data was captured...
SO the call was said to be traced back to an AT&T calling call and from the American Red Cross...but was it ever revealed what Red Cross location (state and city) or what actual phone number originated this call? The answer to your question would allow verification of the caller - especially if the call originated at an ARC office.

That call had to be her. The chances of someone randomly calling Billy's number and not saying anything at all but the number being found to be from a calling card (which Maura used) and it not be her.... the chances are less than me hitting the lottery.

If Billy is in fact telling the truth about that phone call which he undoubtedly is, and there was no mistake about what was on it then it had to be her.
Where did she make that call from?
How did she get to a pay phone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members