NH NH - Maura Murray, 21, Haverhill, 9 Feb 2004 - # 6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think the calling card was ever tied to Maura. I am not aware that she had any association with the Red Cross and they have denied that such a card would have been issued by and facilities in that part of New Hamptshire.

The police were unable to definitively determine who used the calling card. BUT, Billy's mother Sharon stated that Maura used to use calling cards quite often before she was put on Billy's cell phone plan.

If I knew she had a flashlight, I would bet on her being in the woods. Now, I'm thinking she had accepted a ride. This also makes me question the contractor's story. How could she have run 5 miles in complete darkness from the accident scene?

A possibility that has been given less attention perhaps is that Maura accepted a ride from someone who is, relatively speaking, innocent. That is, she grabs her backpack with her stash of liquor, trudges the hundred yards to the intersection and flags down a ride--perhaps simply indicating that she's out of gas or her car simply broke down and she wants a ride to the nearest gas station/business (or whatever she could've said).

This "innocent interloper" gives her a ride to wherever (maybe a roadside tavern?) and then her ride takes off and whatever happened to Maura originates at this new location.

Some obvious objections are

(i) why hasn't/wouldn't the person who gave Maura the ride come forward?

(ii) what about the contractor's story of seeing someone matching Maura's description running down the road?

For the second one, I'm similarly suspect of the contractor's story. For all the reasons already indicated (he didn't provide it initially, time and distance might not match up, etc).

As to the first, well, a few possibilities. Maybe they simply have never been made aware of Maura being missing or matching that up to having given a young woman a ride on a cold, dark February night. Maybe they became aware but were/are hesitant to come forward and get involved, as they'd immediately be a prime suspect. But then why not an anonymous note indicating that they picked up someone matching MM's description and dropped her off at X location that night? Or maybe they're local and are concerned about being the one to point the police in the direction of the ultimate culprit (out of fear of reprisal or other concerns).

Given the thoroughness of the searches of the area near the accident and that they've all come up completely empty-handed (as far as anyone knows), having Maura leave that area allows for other theories to be considered. Maybe an already slightly buzzed Maura hitches a ride with random person A, who simply drops her off at maybe a bar down the road where Maura continues drinking and maybe chattering to or within earshot of the wrong company.

For the second one, I'm similarly suspect of the contractor's story. For all the reasons already indicated (he didn't provide it initially, time and distance might not match up, etc).

I find it interesting that the newspaper article about the psychic, Carla Baron appeared around April 11th and the contractor came forward to the police with his story on April 29th about seeing a person running down the road back in Feb. Here is an excerpt from the newspaper article:

"Baron said she believes Murray hitched a ride with "a clean-cut looking man" in a truck following her car accident the night of Feb. 9. The man then sexually assaulted her and buried her body in a sparsely wooded area that may be a construction site, Baron said."

It's also interesting that the dogs tracked Maura's scent up to the contractor's house. He could very well be innocent and have nothing to do with Maura's disappearance, but I can't help feeling that he was spooked by the newspaper article.

It's quite possible Maura took a ride from someone else--even going west. It would be hard to not see her on the road. I believe most drivers on those roads use their high beams. Since there were fairly high snowbanks, it would have been hard for Maura to avoid being seen by hiding in the shadows. If she ran up 112 or 116, I find it hard to believe no one else spotted her. I realize that those roads are quiet, but in a course of a couple of hours, she should have been noticed by, at least, another driver.

I find it interesting that the newspaper article about the psychic, Carla Baron appeared around April 11th and the contractor came forward to the police with his story on April 29th about seeing a person running down the road back in Feb. Here is an excerpt from the newspaper article:

"Baron said she believes Murray hitched a ride with "a clean-cut looking man" in a truck following her car accident the night of Feb. 9. The man then sexually assaulted her and buried her body in a sparsely wooded area that may be a construction site, Baron said."

It's also interesting that the dogs tracked Maura's scent up to the contractor's house. He could very well be innocent and have nothing to do with Maura's disappearance, but I can't help feeling that he was spooked by the newspaper article.

It's quite possible Maura took a ride from someone else--even going west. It would be hard to not see her on the road. I believe most drivers on those roads use their high beams. Since there were fairly high snowbanks, it would have been hard for Maura to avoid being seen by hiding in the shadows. If she ran up 112 or 116, I find it hard to believe no one else spotted her. I realize that those roads are quiet, but in a course of a couple of hours, she should have been noticed by, at least, another driver.

I tend to agree that the contractor needs to be interviewed more intently. Not pointing any fingers, BUT...we all know that perps sometimes interject themselves into an ongoing investigation to find out what LE knows. After Maura's disappearance (not the night of, but later on), who has come forward as a potential witness? I bet there is a short list for LE to reconsider and examine under a microscope. And until your post McSpy, I didn't realize the timing between the psychic's comments and the contractor/witness statement.

I tend to agree that the contractor needs to be interviewed more intently. Not pointing any fingers, BUT...we all know that perps sometimes interject themselves into an ongoing investigation to find out what LE knows. After Maura's disappearance (not the night of, but later on), who has come forward as a potential witness? I bet there is a short list for LE to reconsider and examine under a microscope. And until your post McSpy, I didn't realize the timing between the psychic's comments and the contractor/witness statement.

Here is another possibility:
His motivation could have been to place her far away from his home by telling LE that he may have seen Maura 4-5 miles up the road.

Here is another possibility:
His motivation could have been to place her far away from his home by telling LE that he may have seen Maura 4-5 miles up the road.

Maura's birthday was approaching (May 4th) and a Circle of Hope Ceremony in NH. Also media reported that another search of the area was planned.

Here is something else on the contractor:

I read that he was interviewed by the police 10 days after her accident. Apparently, the police had gone to the homes near the accident scene to ask if they saw her. I'm sure that the police had told him the time, day and date of her accident and disappearance, when they questioned him. Fast forward to April and this is what was said in this newspaper article:

"It was after seeing subsequent news reports, and realizing the accident had occurred Feb. 9, he decided to contact state police.

The man, who Scarinza said is a contractor, checked his work records and verified he was returning home from a job in the Franconia area the night of Feb. 9 when he spotted who he and state police believe was Murray."

I find it odd that he didn't know that it was the 9th, because he was told by police that she disappeared on the 9th when they questioned him in February. Granted, maybe he didn't realize how urgent the situation was back then and maybe he was distracted by things going on in his own life. I'm just pointing out the inconsistencies. He may have nothing to do with Maura's disappearance.

It's also interesting that the dogs tracked Maura's scent up to the contractor's house.

I always remember reading that the dogs tracked the scent up to the School Bus Driver's house. Is this information from the Investigation Discovery show?

A possibility that has been given less attention perhaps is that Maura accepted a ride from someone who is, relatively speaking, innocent. That is, she grabs her backpack with her stash of liquor, trudges the hundred yards to the intersection and flags down a ride--perhaps simply indicating that she's out of gas or her car simply broke down and she wants a ride to the nearest gas station/business (or whatever she could've said).

This "innocent interloper" gives her a ride to wherever (maybe a roadside tavern?) and then her ride takes off and whatever happened to Maura originates at this new location.

Some obvious objections are

(i) why hasn't/wouldn't the person who gave Maura the ride come forward?

(ii) what about the contractor's story of seeing someone matching Maura's description running down the road?

As to the first, well, a few possibilities. Maybe they simply have never been made aware of Maura being missing or matching that up to having given a young woman a ride on a cold, dark February night. Maybe they became aware but were/are hesitant to come forward and get involved, as they'd immediately be a prime suspect. But then why not an anonymous note indicating that they picked up someone matching MM's description and dropped her off at X location that night? Or maybe they're local and are concerned about being the one to point the police in the direction of the ultimate culprit (out of fear of reprisal or other concerns).

Given the thoroughness of the searches of the area near the accident and that they've all come up completely empty-handed (as far as anyone knows), having Maura leave that area allows for other theories to be considered. Maybe an already slightly buzzed Maura hitches a ride with random person A, who simply drops her off at maybe a bar down the road where Maura continues drinking and maybe chattering to or within earshot of the wrong company.

Can I add to "Some obvious objections are"

(iii)Why would she refuse assistance from the School Bus Driver

I always remember reading that the dogs tracked the scent up to the School Bus Driver's house. Is this information from the Investigation Discovery show?

Yes, about 100 yards from the accident site would be the bus driver's house, but the contractor lived across the street from the bus driver.

Can I add to "Some obvious objections are"

(iii)Why would she refuse assistance from the School Bus Driver

He was scary looking and I think she wasn't quite together yet after the accident to have a clear head about her decisions at that moment. Just my opinion.

Yeah, probably a combination of the bus driver's timing, his appearance, that he, I think, wanted to call for police assistance and maybe that he lived right there by her car and for whatever reason she wanted to put distance herself and her crashed car.

I dunno what kind of investigations were done, but simply getting in a car and driving each direction from that intersection and identifying the closest/first businesses that likely would have been open and likely inviting for someone in Maura's state at that time would be a first step. Course, six+ years on it's possible businesses have come and gone and the likely turnover of employees/customers.

Maybe this line of investigation was followed back in 2004 and it came up empty.

I dunno what kind of investigations were done, but simply getting in a car and driving each direction from that intersection and identifying the closest/first businesses that likely would have been open and likely inviting for someone in Maura's state at that time would be a first step. Course, six+ years on it's possible businesses have come and gone and the likely turnover of employees/customers.

Maybe this line of investigation was followed back in 2004 and it came up empty.

Right after Maura disappeared from the accident scene, the bus driver and the first cop on the scene searched the area west. No one searched east that evening. There are no businesses for miles going east (over 10 miles). Since the bus driver and cop were locals, I think they assumed she would have gone west, because that is where the closest businesses are located. A few days later, the tracking dogs tracked her scent going east. Unfortunately, there was a missed opportunity to have caught up to her, if the contractor's siting was true.

"About 10 minutes later, a Haverhill police officer, and then a New Hampshire State Police trooper, arrived on the scene"

Does anyone recall whether he arrived from the North, South, East or West? I have no information regarding this.

We're rapidly approaching 7 years without any new information leading up to what happened to Maura. Butch Atwood is deceased. This is very troubling since he is THE most important piece to this crime. That leaves his family. What did they see? and, What did he tell them or others over the years? The powers that be are trying to push me aside with my line of questioning. I will not quit. The information I have managed to obtain through misleading questioning have ruled out certain things yet at the same time revealed others.

I do not wish to be a problem, but at the same time I do not relish the thought of another passing year with no daily active pursuit of justice being sought. To me this is unacceptable. How is this justice for Maura?

Just my opinion, but I tend to want to know more from those people in the vicinity of the accident that can't account for their time between say 7:30 and 9:30 pm that night. The bus driver's time is accounted for during that time. He arrived at the accident site after driving passengers that evening. He attempted to phone authorities and finally got through to report Maura's accident within a few minutes of coming upon the car and Maura. He sat on his bus and completed paperwork until police arrived looking for Maura. It doesn't appear that he would have had time to harm or stash Maura during this time between speaking with Maura and the police arriving. I also, do not think that he and his wife had much time to talk about Maura's circumstances. That may be why his wife's comments to police (on the phone and in person) did not exactly match what the bus driver knew to have occurred that night. he then joined the search for Maura by car. On the other hand, the contractor places himself in contact with Maura during that vital time period. I want to know more from him.

I do not wish to be a problem, but at the same time I do not relish the thought of another passing year with no daily active pursuit of justice being sought. To me this is unacceptable. How is this justice for Maura?

Sometimes, I think Maura was taken and other times, I think she is still in the woods. My reason: Recently, a young man (George Aldrich) was missing for over 2 weeks in Aspen, but found under a bridge (accident) in the vicinity of where he disappeared. They had helicopters, dogs, and search and rescue teams scour the area twice and came up empty. They even searched the same area twice where they had later found his body. His clothing blended into the terrain and it had snowed. Someone from the rescue team found the body on their own time and after the official search had ended. He said that the body was so camouflaged that you could not tell it was a human body from 6 feet away. New Hampshire is heavily forested, so it wouldn't surprise me if Maura is still there somewhere. Although, since she is a woman, I wouldn't be surprised that someone had taken her. Dangerous opportunists can be anywhere.

I wonder if Maura had stashed the alcohol she had in her backpack along the road to retrieve at a later time. I would think the weight and clanging would have been irritating.
Perhaps, she took the 2 larger bottles out and put them behind a road sign, so she would remember the place she left them. It's just a thought and something I would have done in that situation.

The powers that be are trying to push me aside with my line of questioning.

Could you explain? What powers? And how do they push you aside?

Could you explain? What powers? And how do they push you aside?

Good catch gnomony! Yes, why hold back. Maura needs to be found! Search, if you have info, you don't have to post here---- please contact the NH Cold Case unit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay