NH NH - Maura Murray, 21, Haverhill, 9 Feb 2004 - # 6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Points McSpy,,,at least I would hope her being "an Adult" would not conspire secrecy!
I terrible mystery which I hope one day is solved.

If he didn't get involved in the search or in securing the scene, and if he has no information beyond what already has been reported by other LE, I would find it very odd if he did file a report (LE usually aren't so fond of paperwork as to file a report with no content) and I would find it odd, too, for him to publicly discuss his actions or lack of action. I used to supervise LE and generally found that they don't make public statements except in a formal way (a report) and unless they have something of significance to add.

I'm driving by the scene later today and will stop at the tree with the big blue ribbon to observe a moment of respect for this woman.

Thanks for your insight and knowledge on police reporting. One issue I have with the state trooper is the fact that he didn't make any calls to headquarters for 2 hours. One wonders where he was patrolling and what he was doing. I don't know if that is usual or unusual in northern NH on a Monday night, but it seems like a long stretch of time.

I don't know about anybody else but, its tough to watch the ID channel promote the new season of Disappeared.

It's hard not to have the who, what, why for Maura Murray before we go on to a new season.

I wonder what a $100,000, $200,000 or $300,000 reward for info leading to arrest and conviction would do to jog somebodies memory.

I wish I had the money to help bring this to an end.....

I am a little confused here. You mean to tell me if the N.H. LE had/has found MM that if she chose to not want her parents to know that is ok? I know she is an adult, I understand that, but could not LE just say that much?
This family is grief stricken, there has been article after article, forums, a TV show etc.
Couldn't they have least said we found her (that night) and she does not want anyone to know where she is at the moment? Rather this family has and is suffering a horrible nightmare not having the slightest idea what happened to her.
That is just beyond cruel,on both Maura's part (or anyone else that wants to disappear) and the system.
At least be able to say that much to a grieving family. Now I am really starting to wonder,,didn't LE not want to give MM's Dad any reports? Or something like that?

What do you all think?

The car was registered to Fred Murray, and evidently wrecked by the driver, presumed to be his daughter. If LE knew she was alive, at the very least they would have to tell the car owner the last known whereabouts of the driver. If LE had picked her up, there should have been a breathalyzer, given the presnece of spilled alcohol at the accident site. At the very least that information would then have become part of the accident report. So either no LE officer saw Maura or there is something wrong with the investigation and accident response. I think the first is far more likely than the second.

I don't know about anybody else but, its tough to watch the ID channel promote the new season of Disappeared.

It's hard not to have the who, what, why for Maura Murray before we go on to a new season.

I wonder what a $100,000, $200,000 or $300,000 reward for info leading to arrest and conviction would do to jog somebodies memory.

I wish I had the money to help bring this to an end.....

I believe there is a $75,000 reward. Here is the story:
http://www.whitmanhansonexpress.com...-for-info-on-maura-murray&catid=912&Itemid=83

This may be the organization offering the reward: http://www.theyaremissed.org/ncma/index.php

I am a little confused here. You mean to tell me if the N.H. LE had/has found MM that if she chose to not want her parents to know that is ok? I know she is an adult, I understand that, but could not LE just say that much?
This family is grief stricken, there has been article after article, forums, a TV show etc.
Couldn't they have least said we found her (that night) and she does not want anyone to know where she is at the moment? Rather this family has and is suffering a horrible nightmare not having the slightest idea what happened to her.
That is just beyond cruel,on both Maura's part (or anyone else that wants to disappear) and the system.
At least be able to say that much to a grieving family. Now I am really starting to wonder,,didn't LE not want to give MM's Dad any reports? Or something like that?

What do you all think?

I just saw a story similar to this. A family was looking for years for their adult daughter. The police found her alive and well in Oregon or something. I think she was missing from South Carolina. They called the family and let them know that she was alive and well, but legally they could not tell them her whereabouts. They let the missing daughter know that her family had been looking for her for years and she contacted her family herself. She had no idea they were looking for her because they had had a huge fight prior to her "disappearance." She figured they hated her and never wanted to see her again.

Written in the Police report is the following:

“The vehicle had been East bound and had gone off the roadway, Struck some trees, spun around,”

Some trees implies multiple.

Were any tests conducted on the vehicle to determine consistencies between the trees and tree sap left on the vehicle to establish a concrete link of evidence? Does anyone know?

It has been reported there was as much as two feet of snow on the ground on 2-9-04.
The roadways were clear that night.
There must have been snow banks on the sides of the roads. Due to thawing and Re-freezing those snow banks would be comparable to rock.

It is noted on the Police report there were tire marks in the snow.

The 1996 Saturn Vehicle has a ground clearance of 5.70 inches.

If the vehicle left the road, hit some trees, and returned to the roadway, a vehicle with a road clearance of 5.70 inches would sustain undercarriage damage without question.

I have heard NO mention of any undercarriage damage anywhere. Has anyone?

Written in the Police report is the following:

“The vehicle had been East bound and had gone off the roadway, Struck some trees, spun around,”

Some trees implies multiple.

Were any tests conducted on the vehicle to determine consistencies between the trees and tree sap left on the vehicle to establish a concrete link of evidence? Does anyone know?

It has been reported there was as much as two feet of snow on the ground on 2-9-04.
The roadways were clear that night.
There must have been snow banks on the sides of the roads. Due to thawing and Re-freezing those snow banks would be comparable to rock.

It is noted on the Police report there were tire marks in the snow.

The 1996 Saturn Vehicle has a ground clearance of 5.70 inches.

If the vehicle left the road, hit some trees, and returned to the roadway, a vehicle with a road clearance of 5.70 inches would sustain undercarriage damage without question.

I have heard NO mention of any undercarriage damage anywhere. Has anyone?

Never heard anyone checked and no, it doesn't follow that undercarriage damage would be a given. The vehicle could have rode up on the snow. It would depend on the way the snow/ice was there. NH plows have a wing to push the snow far back from the road so they can keep pushing snow off of the road.

Bill

As far as the undercarriage is concerned. I see your point about the swing-arms on the plows. However, If the snow was pushed back due to swing arms being used, the vehicle would have had to travel in an upward motion in order to make contact with the trees. I have seen the tree proximty to the road. The snow would have to have piled against the trees. (JMO) I would be very interested in seeing photos of the scene with snow. I would like to believe the Police or perhaps even a family member has photos of the area shortly after her disappearance. That to me would seem to be a logical expectation.

My thoughts on the suicide theory.

I just don’t believe it.

If Maura intended to commit suicide why would she go through the trouble of packing everything in the dorm?

As well as items found inside her car,

“ items found in the car include Maura's AAA card, the insurance forms she retrieved for her earlier accident, her gloves, music CDs, her makeup, directions for Burlington and Stowe, a favorite stuffed monkey, and the Nicholas Howe book, Not Without Peril, a book about climbing in the White Mountains”

Why would she pack these to take along? It is also stated she had her textbooks from school with her. If she was intent on killing herself, what purpose would taking the School textbooks serve?

She withdrew funds and stopped to buy alcohol. She was looking for lodging in the area up there but apparently did not find any. There have been no reports of her making a reservation anywhere. She was (IMO) going to meet someone. I believe she figured she would find lodging up there on her own then call whoever she was going to meet and surprise them by her being there.

Furthermore, her mother has since passed. Her personality traits do not show a non caring person.
She would definitely have contacted the family.

Does anyone know if Maura's Saturn was ever started again after it was towed away?

I have read the car was only running on 3 cylinders. I have a theory as to the rag in the tailpipe if the Saturn was in fact only operating on 3 cylinders.

According to eyewitness testimony:

"neighbor, a school bus driver, stopped to see if she needed help. He said she was not bleeding, but she looked shook up and was shivering in the cold. He said when he drove up, she was trying to get out of the driver's side of the car, but the door was hitting a high snowbank."

I would have to reiterate my position on undercarriage damage. The Police report is what it is, the eyewitness confirms snow banks. I'd still love to see pictures of the scene within the 1st 36 hours.

As far as the undercarriage is concerned. I see your point about the swing-arms on the plows. However, If the snow was pushed back due to swing arms being used, the vehicle would have had to travel in an upward motion in order to make contact with the trees. I have seen the tree proximty to the road. The snow would have to have piled against the trees. (JMO) I would be very interested in seeing photos of the scene with snow. I would like to believe the Police or perhaps even a family member has photos of the area shortly after her disappearance. That to me would seem to be a logical expectation.

I just don’t believe it.

If Maura intended to commit suicide why would she go through the trouble of packing everything in the dorm?

“ items found in the car include Maura's AAA card, the insurance forms she retrieved for her earlier accident, her gloves, music CDs, her makeup, directions for Burlington and Stowe, a favorite stuffed monkey, and the Nicholas Howe book, Not Without Peril, a book about climbing in the White Mountains”

Why would she pack these to take along? It is also stated she had her textbooks from school with her. If she was intent on killing herself, what purpose would taking the School textbooks serve?

She withdrew funds and stopped to buy alcohol. She was looking for lodging in the area up there but apparently did not find any. There have been no reports of her making a reservation anywhere. She was (IMO) going to meet someone. I believe she figured she would find lodging up there on her own then call whoever she was going to meet and surprise them by her being there.

Furthermore, her mother has since passed. Her personality traits do not show a non caring person.

I agree with you, except I don't think she was going to meet anyone or surprise anyone. I think she wanted to be alone to cool out and sort through her issues. This is just my gut feeling. She also said to her boyfriend on the phone that she didn't feel much like talking. To me, this indicates that she tended to hibernate when under stress. I do that sometimes, so I recognize it in others.

Does anyone know if Maura's Saturn was ever started again after it was towed away?

I have read the car was only running on 3 cylinders. I have a theory as to the rag in the tailpipe if the Saturn was in fact only operating on 3 cylinders.

According to eyewitness testimony:

"neighbor, a school bus driver, stopped to see if she needed help. He said she was not bleeding, but she looked shook up and was shivering in the cold. He said when he drove up, she was trying to get out of the driver's side of the car, but the door was hitting a high snowbank."

I would have to reiterate my position on undercarriage damage. The Police report is what it is, the eyewitness confirms snow banks. I'd still love to see pictures of the scene within the 1st 36 hours.

I'm curious. Why is it important to know if there was undercarriage damage?

The undercarriage would confirm the vehicle did in fact leave the road and hit "some trees" as written in the police report filed by CS. There are different theories as to whether the vehicle actually left the road or not. Anyone living in New England knows if you have two foot high snow banks in February they are packed solid. According to "eyewitness testimony" Maura attempted to open the drivers door but could not due to two foot high snow banks. The forensic testing on the vehicle to determine what type of tree sap or any other evidence is as important. These factors very well could change the entire circumstances of the alleged crash conditions.

Does anyone know where the vehicle is located currently?

Does anyone have any pictures of the four sides of the vehicle that I could view?

Sometimes those winged rock hard banks act as a launching ramp if you hit them at the right angle. She could have hit the side, more or less flown across the ice, hit the trees, and skidded back onto the road. We did that once, years ago, and we weren't even driving that fast. Well, we didn't hit the trees, the car just swapped ends and spun back onto the road.

A Saturn of that vintage is an extremely sturdy car. My daughter's Saturn was rammed by a dumptruck at one point and the only thing that happened was that the front logo fell off. The undercarriage is low but pretty well protected; even if she had skidded across the ice bank and trees, the car might not show much damage.

The undercarriage would confirm the vehicle did in fact leave the road and hit "some trees" as written in the police report filed by CS. There are different theories as to whether the vehicle actually left the road or not. Anyone living in New England knows if you have two foot high snow banks in February they are packed solid. According to "eyewitness testimony" Maura attempted to open the drivers door but could not due to two foot high snow banks. The forensic testing on the vehicle to determine what type of tree sap or any other evidence is as important. These factors very well could change the entire circumstances of the alleged crash conditions.

Does anyone know where the vehicle is located currently?

Does anyone have any pictures of the four sides of the vehicle that I could view?

If her car did ride up the snowbank and into the trees, how would this change the direction of this case?

I just don’t believe it.

She may never of unpacked.

I know that when I was in college, I use to live out of my car. All my school books stayed in my car unless I was studying or at class. Don't know if she use to do the same thing.

It is amazing in search and rescue how often the families tell you one thing about an individual. How strong, how weak, how much they can endure, what their habits are etc. It is amazing how often the closest of them are wrong about what their kin are capable of.

Bill

If her car did ride up the snowbank and into the trees, how would this change the direction of this case?

The only thing that it fixes is:

1. There are people who try to claim Maura was pushed off of the road or crashed into the back of a vehicle and that is where the damage came from.

2. Others that claim the damage to the car could not have happened from hitting the trees as listed in the report.

3. There are others that think if the trees were not the cause of the damage then some said the officer or the school bus driver or someone else might have staged the accident.

4. There are others that said that an earlier (10-20 minutes) accident heard on a scanner (one person claims to have heard this) but not listed in any dispatch report was Maura from an earlier accident.

Most of this has been proven as hooey but it still comes up. Mostly it use to appear in conjunction with wild accusations about the police and residents and conspiracies in that small area that appeared to have absolutely no basis with any of the known facts.

You are correct that all of this has virtually no meaning whatsoever to her case. Whatever happened to Maura likely happened feet and minutes or possibly miles and many hours down the road.

Bill

The only thing that it fixes is:

1. There are people who try to claim Maura was pushed off of the road or crashed into the back of a vehicle and that is where the damage came from.

2. Others that claim the damage to the car could not have happened from hitting the trees as listed in the report.

3. There are others that think if the trees were not the cause of the damage then some said the officer or the school bus driver or someone else might have staged the accident.

4. There are others that said that an earlier (10-20 minutes) accident heard on a scanner (one person claims to have heard this) but not listed in any dispatch report was Maura from an earlier accident.

Most of this has been proven as hooey but it still comes up. Mostly it use to appear in conjunction with wild accusations about the police and residents and conspiracies in that small area that appeared to have absolutely no basis with any of the known facts.

You are correct that all of this has virtually no meaning whatsoever to her case. Whatever happened to Maura likely happened feet and minutes or possibly miles and many hours down the road.

Bill

I agree with your assessment. I think she took the corner too fast and bounced off a tree, trees or snowbank and so on. I'm pretty sure that she wasn't the first to wreck on that curve, because it is an extremely sharp turn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper