NH NH - Maura Murray, 21, Haverhill, 9 Feb 2004 - # 7

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
IIRC - the note may have been left out in the open by LE after going through her room.... remember LE was working under the impression that MM was suicidal....

I guess it comes down to the credibility of the LE in question. Here is part of his official statement concerning Maura's dorm.

LT. John Scarinza: "By Monday morning, Feb. 9th Maura had packed up all her belongings in her dorm room at U-Mass, putting everything neatly in boxes and putting all the boxes on her bed along with a personal note she had recently received from her boyfriend. She went on the Internet and looked up directions and overnight accommodations in the Bartlett, NH area as well as Burlington, VT area. She withdrew most of her money from her personal bank account. She sent e-mails to her supervisor at work as well as a college professor saying she would be absent from work and school for a week due to a death in the family."

The note as I understand it was actually just a part of a longer note that Maura's boyfriend had written her and the subject manner of the note had to do with him cheating on her.

I will once again say that as long as this LT is on the up and up and is feeding the public accurate information, then I do believe that he and his fellow investigators discovered even more information (like from Maura's computer) that led them to their suicide theory.

The only reason, they would've somewhat backed down from that theory (which they did so after taking heat from it) would not be because they no longer believe it, but rather that public perception from taking a strong stance like that would mean they would have to put up or shut up (about the sucide theory) and I don't think they want to be pinned into that kind of corner, until they uncovered other evidence ... which has been a long long process still in the making.

We heard about the directions and mapquest from Maura's computer, but that is just the kind of information the police didn't mind if the public found out about. It is very likely there were other things the police discovered that they have never publiclly released or for that matter even possibly, let the family of Maura in on.

And this is all just my opinion, I am merely taking a guess, but as I see it, the evidence is really starting to add up that maura may have been suicidal or having thoughts of suicide.

I guess it comes down to the credibility of the LE in question. Here is part of his official statement concerning Maura's dorm.

LT. John Scarinza: "By Monday morning, Feb. 9th Maura had packed up all her belongings in her dorm room at U-Mass, putting everything neatly in boxes and putting all the boxes on her bed along with a personal note she had recently received from her boyfriend. She went on the Internet and looked up directions and overnight accommodations in the Bartlett, NH area as well as Burlington, VT area. She withdrew most of her money from her personal bank account. She sent e-mails to her supervisor at work as well as a college professor saying she would be absent from work and school for a week due to a death in the family."

The note as I understand it was actually just a part of a longer note that Maura's boyfriend had written her and the subject manner of the note had to do with him cheating on her.

I will once again say that as long as this LT is on the up and up and is feeding the public accurate information, then I do believe that he and his fellow investigators discovered even more information (like from Maura's computer) that led them to their suicide theory.

The only reason, they would've somewhat backed down from that theory (which they did so after taking heat from it) would not be because they no longer believe it, but rather that public perception from taking a strong stance like that would mean they would have to put up or shut up (about the sucide theory) and I don't think they want to be pinned into that kind of corner, until they uncovered other evidence ... which has been a long long process still in the making.

We heard about the directions and mapquest from Maura's computer, but that is just the kind of information the police didn't mind if the public found out about. It is very likely there were other things the police discovered that they have never publiclly released or for that matter even possibly, let the family of Maura in on.

And this is all just my opinion, I am merely taking a guess, but as I see it, the evidence is really starting to add up that maura may have been suicidal or having thoughts of suicide.

To me, the evidence given out to the public doesn't weigh in the direction of suicide any more than a need for a break from her routine to get her head together. I think the bottle of Tylenol PM also made LE think she was suicidal. I don't recall if they found it in her car or if it was found on a recent sales receipt in her car. There is no doubt in my mind she was emotional, but suicidal---not so sure, even with what LE considered as evidence to their theory. There wasn't enough there. A suicide note would be the only piece of evidence, which would convince me.

The note as I understand it was actually just a part of a longer note that Maura's boyfriend had written her and the subject manner of the note had to
do with him cheating on her.

The only reason, they would've somewhat backed down from that theory (which they did so after taking heat from it) would not be because they no
longer believe it, but rather that public perception from taking a strong stance like that would mean they would have to put up or shut up (about the sucide theory) and I don't think they want to be pinned into that kind of corner, until they uncovered other evidence ... which has been a long long process still in the making.

We heard about the directions and mapquest from Maura's computer, but that is just the kind of information the police didn't mind if the public found out
about. It is very likely there were other things the police discovered that they have never publiclly released or for that matter even possibly, let the family of Maura in on.

For some reason I was under the impression it was an old note from her boyfriend. I need to see if there is a story out there that gave me that idea.
Maybe the media got it wrong in one of these articles?

For some reason I was under the impression it was an old note from her boyfriend. I need to see if there is a story out there that gave me that idea.
Maybe the media got it wrong in one of these articles?

McSpy,

It indeed was an old note (Actually e-mail from her boyfriend)

but, as I understand it, she had gone back and printed out the long e-mail, specifically targeting a certain portion of that e-mail (For instance if it was a three-page email, she only pritned out page 2 and not 1 or 3) and printed out the specific portion either the night before she went missing or the day that she went missing (probably early morning hours on Monday Feb 9) and layed it on top or right near the stacked packed boxes on her bed like she specifically was wanting people to discover the note.

Now, maybe this was all a big accident, maybe she was going through old emails and just happened to print that particular one out and just happened to leave that certain part of the email behind (that had to do with problems in her relatonship) and accidently left it laying on her bed.

But then we get into talking about a lot of maybe's and at some point the coincidences no longer can be just that.

Scarinza's statement was actually him speaking on camera so the media didn't get it wrong. My impression was not that he thought Maura was suicidal but that she was emotional and impulsive.

McSpy,

It indeed was an old note (Actually e-mail from her boyfriend)

but, as I understand it, she had gone back and printed out the long e-mail, specifically targeting a certain portion of that e-mail (For instance if it was a three-page email, she only pritned out page 2 and not 1 or 3) and printed out the specific portion either the night before she went missing or the day that she went missing (probably early morning hours on Monday Feb 9) and layed it on top or right near the stacked packed boxes on her bed like she specifically was wanting people to discover the note.

Now, maybe this was all a big accident, maybe she was going through old emails and just happened to print that particular one out and just happened to leave that certain part of the email behind (that had to do with problems in her relatonship) and accidently left it laying on her bed.

But then we get into talking about a lot of maybe's and at some point the coincidences no longer can be just that.

And McSpy,

You are not mistaken, both Maura's boyfriend Bill Rausch and Bill's mother have been quoted as saying "there was no new note" concerning what was found in Maura's dorm room ... And they are both correct. But ...

To me, the evidence given out to the public doesn't weigh in the direction of suicide any more than a need for a break from her routine to get her head together. I think the bottle of Tylenol PM also made LE think she was suicidal. I don't recall if they found it in her car or if it was found on a recent sales receipt in her car. There is no doubt in my mind she was emotional, but suicidal---not so sure, even with what LE considered as evidence to their theory. There wasn't enough there. A suicide note would be the only piece of evidence, which would convince me.

I agree 100% No, make that 110%!
IIRC, the note was an old email, so not really relevant. We've been over the boxes, and also the painting not being up on the walls in previous threads...
Nothing IMO points to suicide at that point in time...

I agree 100% No, make that 110%!
IIRC, the note was an old email, so not really relevant. We've been over the boxes, and also the painting not being up on the walls in previous threads...
Nothing IMO points to suicide at that point in time...

OldSteve,

It was an old note, but just like anything you print out off your computer, there is a date that would show up on the printed pages.

So therefore, If Maura had just recently printed out the old email, then wouldn't it become relevant.

Maura goes missing on Feb 9, and she prints out an old email and lays it out in the open right before she leaves for a mystery destination.

Could it all just be accidental or a misunderstanding, or happen-stance that the note ended up near her packed boxes on her bed. Yes it could, but there seems to be an awful lot of 'explaining away' going on concerning mauras actions.

this james renner guy looks like he actually cares and is going to make alot of people psst and mad at him and this case needs that. The town there has been tight lipped way to long not sure where he is going with all the fred murray stuff but he is certainly brinigng things up that i have never heard about in this case before. hopefully he pushes something in the right direction!

OldSteve,

It was an old note, but just like anything you print out off your computer, there is a date that would show up on the printed pages.

So therefore, If Maura had just recently printed out the old email, then wouldn't it become relevant.

Maura goes missing on Feb 9, and she prints out an old email and lays it out in the open right before she leaves for a mystery destination.

Could it all just be accidental or a misunderstanding, or happen-stance that the note ended up near her packed boxes on her bed. Yes it could, but there seems to be an awful lot of 'explaining away' going on concerning mauras actions.

But does it mean suicide? I can understand an emotional reaction after crashing her Dad's car with relationship troubles on her mind, but I'm not sure her intentions that evening were to commit suicide. She could have accidentally committed suicide by her decisions and actions that night, because she was very emotional.

But does it mean suicide? I can understand an emotional reaction after crashing her Dad's car with relationship troubles on her mind, but I'm not sure her intentions that evening were to commit suicide. She could have accidentally committed suicide by her decisions and actions that night, because she was very emotional.

Maybe printing out that one portion of the email was a "message" to her bf. Perhaps she really was going to meet someone else, someone whom she may have connected with on some level in the months after the perceived cheating stated in the email. Maybe her leaving was a hint.
OTOH maybe Maura had decided she wanted to end the relationship with her bf, was upset about the decision and needed to get away(or run away?); again, the note would be a hint or message to anyone who might read it, being as it was left out for anyone to find.

Maybe printing out that one portion of the email was a "message" to her bf. Perhaps she really was going to meet someone else, someone whom she may have connected with on some level in the months after the perceived cheating stated in the email. Maybe her leaving was a hint.
OTOH maybe Maura had decided she wanted to end the relationship with her bf, was upset about the decision and needed to get away(or run away?); again, the note would be a hint or message to anyone who might read it, being as it was left out for anyone to find.

Anything is possible I suppose. We don't know if her relationship was bothering her at the time, but it is possible. It could explain why she broke down in tears on the job prior to crashing her dad's car. I'm not convinced she was meeting anyone though. I still believe she just went up there on impulse on her own for a break. There were no phone calls or email correspondence to anyone to suggest she was meeting anyone. She could have shown up on someone's doorstep by surprise, but wouldn't one of her siblings know of someone she met in NH, since the family had vacationed up there in the summers?

Does anyone know anything about the person her bf supposedly cheated on her with in 2002? If she really did leave an email about that out after all that time, it makes me wonder if the phone call that upset her at work that night was related to that and involved her learning something she did not previously know about it. Maybe the other girl had a child, or the cheating had started over, or MM just learned the identity of the other girl.

Scoops - regarding the note on top of the boxes.... I agree with what you said, but not sure if she placed it on top of the boxes, or was that done by LE? If she left it on top of the boxes, I agree with you about the significance of doing that. Key point is - did she leave it on top of the boxes or was it placed there by someone else?

Not sure if leaving the note out (assuming she really did that) would serve as a message to her BF since he was far away and would not be around to enter her room.
If she was planning something drastic, why leave just a portion of an email out that could easily get misplaced or moved out of sight by someone not realizing it's importance - in other words why be so vague if it's supposed to be a good bye cruel world note....

Does anyone know anything about the person her bf supposedly cheated on her with in 2002? If she really did leave an email about that out after all that time, it makes me wonder if the phone call that upset her at work that night was related to that and involved her learning something she did not previously know about it. Maybe the other girl had a child, or the cheating had started over, or MM just learned the identity of the other girl.

Good points. I don't think anyone knows the name of the girl here, unless they knew Maura or Bill. I don't think it was published in the media. I'm guessing it wouldn't be something like a girl being pregnant, because I would think that piece of info would have been told to LE by her bf. Supposedly, LE grilled Maura's bf about their relationship. Yet, you never know for sure, because LE doesn't tell the media everything.

There is also the possibility she felt her bf was drifting away. In other words, she didn't feel the relationship was secure. Something may have came up to bring that out in a phone conversation she had with someone that evening.

How did you know he cheated on her in 2002?

Respectfully snipped
There is also the possibility she felt her bf was drifting away. In other words, she didn't feel the relationship was secure. Something may have came up to bring that out in a phone conversation she had with someone that evening.

I had read early on her sister said they discussed her frustration with her fiance(Maura's sister's fiance). Which led me to consider the same idea you stated above.

I also believe the email was found on top in a box that was sitting on her bed.
Not sure where i read or saw this.

It's not clear if Billy had actually cheated on her, or that Maura had suspected he had. In any case, the email was a couple of years old.

Good points. I don't think anyone knows the name of the girl here, unless they knew Maura or Bill. I don't think it was published in the media. I'm guessing it wouldn't be something like a girl being pregnant, because I would think that piece of info would have been told to LE by her bf. Supposedly, LE grilled Maura's bf about their relationship. Yet, you never know for sure, because LE doesn't tell the media everything.

Now that I think about it, I am not sure where the information about 2002 came from. Maybe one of the blogs. I seem to recall reading that they had a rocky patch in 2002 when bf cheated on her, but they had gotten past it and had a very good relationship at the time she disappeared.

Should I edit the information out? Since it was just a rumor and not in MSM?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Manga