NH NH - Maura Murray, 21, Haverhill, 9 Feb 2004 - # 8

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Who knows if her room was even unpacked from the lengthy UMass Christmas break?

And where did she sleep?

She was back for sure to her dorm for 10 days, probably 14.

If she had boxes with all her stuff stacked up on her bed, where did she sleep for two weeks?

One of maura's fellow nursing students has said that maura packed her room up like she was leaving for good. This fellow nursing student would know the difference between someone packing up for good and just not having the time to unpack from the long winter break, the fellow nursing student would be in the same situation as maura.

And where did she sleep? She was back for sure to her dorm for 10 days, probably 14.If she had boxes with all her stuff stacked up on her bed, where did she sleep for two weeks? One of maura's fellow nursing students has said that maura packed her room up like she was leaving for good. This fellow nursing student would know the difference between someone packing up for good and just not having the time to unpack from the long winter break, the fellow nursing student would be in the same situation as maura.

Perhaps there was scheduled floor waxing maintenance during those few days that Maura planned to be away and everything needed to be up off the floor? That happened when I was at university -- a memo came around and everything had to be up on the bed.

Do you have a link to an article where the student commented that it appeared as if Maura was leaving for good?

Perhaps there was scheduled floor waxing maintenance during those few days that Maura planned to be away and everything needed to be up off the floor? That happened when I was at university -- a memo came around and everything had to be up on the bed.

Do you have a link to an article where the student commented that it appeared as if Maura was leaving for good?

From the Daily Collegian (Umass newspaper) seven days after maura went missing
Lindsay Pemberton, a junior nursing major, has the same class schedule as Murray and was present for the meeting on Friday. Pemberton told The Massachusetts Daily Collegian that staff in the nursing department spoke to Murray’s family, and were told that there were no recent family deaths.

“Also, her dorm room was all packed up, like she was planning on moving out,” said Pemberton.

From the Daily Collegian (Umass newspaper) seven days after maura went missingLindsay Pemberton, a junior nursing major, has the same class schedule as Murray and was present for the meeting on Friday. Pemberton told The Massachusetts Daily Collegian that staff in the nursing department spoke to Murray’s family, and were told that there were no recent family deaths.“Also, her dorm room was all packed up, like she was planning on moving out,” said Pemberton.

Scoops, thank you for that information.

Given all of this, what do you think happened to Maura Murray?

From the Daily Collegian (Umass newspaper) seven days after maura went missing
Lindsay Pemberton, a junior nursing major, has the same class schedule as Murray and was present for the meeting on Friday. Pemberton told The Massachusetts Daily Collegian that staff in the nursing department spoke to Murray’s family, and were told that there were no recent family deaths.

“Also, her dorm room was all packed up, like she was planning on moving out,” said Pemberton.

I'm not sure everyone at that school, especially most of the students, were privy to Maura's issue with the credit card problem. I think they only knew what they saw in the room, which were the packed boxes. This would make anyone wonder. JMO

This story, coupled with a police warning about a killer on the loose...( they don't do this when they suspect a husband or private matter caused the death...) does make me think that they are looking at a serial predator.

car running? :notgood:

The perp knew her. He used to plow her driveway. She felt he was creepy and stopped using his services. Although, it does make me wonder if he killed before. Maybe this was not the first time.

And where did she sleep?

She was back for sure to her dorm for 10 days, probably 14.

If she had boxes with all her stuff stacked up on her bed, where did she sleep for two weeks?

One of maura's fellow nursing students has said that maura packed her room up like she was leaving for good. This fellow nursing student would know the difference between someone packing up for good and just not having the time to unpack from the long winter break, the fellow nursing student would be in the same situation as maura.

Maybe the boxes were on the floor before she moved them onto the bed? She had to have been sleeping somewhere before crashing her dad's car.

Scoops, thank you for that information.

Given all of this, what do you think happened to Maura Murray?

I think maura left UMASS on her own volition---Evidence that supports this is the fact that she spent her final night at the dorm preparing to get away, she wasn't being forced out.

I think Maura DID NOT have a set destination in mind (and made a split second decsion to head off to the white mountains.---Evidence that supports this is the fact that she had multiple searches going in the hours before she went missing to different locations. (even fred implies in his letter to the editor that maura may have not had a set destination in mind when she left her campus).

I think the commonality of maura's mapquest searches is that all of the locations she was familiar with and all of them had 4,000 foot mountains nearby --- Evidence that supports this is that I supplied an article on this forum that shows maura and her father were very much into taking on 4,000 footers just three months before maura went missing. They even stayed in Burlington (which is a location maura had written directions to in her car) when she went missing.

I think Maura traveled alone. Evidence that supports this is the fact there is no trail left behind, the atm/liquor store camera (whichever police have) shows her by herself and she would not of had the foresight ahead of time to erase all forms of contact with some mystery lover she was only going to go away for a short time with. By the time Maura got back (presumably a week later) all would return to normal and No one (Police, family) would even care about what was on maura's computer. If she had a mystery lover she was meeting and scrambling around to find a destination to meet such person on the day she went missing, MAURA WOULD'VE LEFT A TRACEABLE TRAIL BEHIND.

Lastly, someone fleeing to the mountains in a run-down car loaded up with alcohol isn't to far of a stretch to come to the conclusion that this person might be in some sort of mental trouble (suicidal).

But these are all just part of my theory.

I think maura left UMASS on her own volition---Evidence that supports this is the fact that she spent her final night at the dorm preparing to get away, she wasn't being forced out.

I think Maura DID NOT have a set destination in mind (and made a split second decsion to head off to the white mountains.---Evidence that supports this is the fact that she had multiple searches going in the hours before she went missing to different locations. (even fred implies in his letter to the editor that maura may have not had a set destination in mind when she left her campus).

I think the commonality of maura's mapquest searches is that all of the locations she was familiar with and all of them had 4,000 foot mountains nearby --- Evidence that supports this is that I supplied an article on this forum that shows maura and her father were very much into taking on 4,000 footers just three months before maura went missing. They even stayed in Burlington (which is a location maura had written directions to in her car) when she went missing.

I think Maura traveled alone. Evidence that supports this is the fact there is no trail left behind, the atm/liquor store camera (whichever police have) shows her by herself and she would not of had the foresight ahead of time to erase all forms of contact with some mystery lover she was only going to go away for a short time with. By the time Maura got back (presumably a week later) all would return to normal and No one (Police, family) would even care about what was on maura's computer. If she had a mystery lover she was meeting and scrambling around to find a destination to meet such person on the day she went missing, MAURA WOULD'VE LEFT A TRACEABLE TRAIL BEHIND.

Lastly, someone fleeing to the mountains in a run-down car loaded up with alcohol isn't to far of a stretch to come to the conclusion that this person might be in some sort of mental trouble (suicidal).

But these are all just part of my theory.

I agree with most of your theory (except the suicide part). Like you, I feel there was absolutely no evidence she was driving tandem with someone or meeting someone in NH. Everything points to her winging it alone. She could have dropped in on someone up there, but the chances of her being killed by that person or running away with them seems extremely remote to me. JMO

Suicide IMO means a person actually planning there own demise. Don't see Maura that way at all. Instead, I think she may have endangered herself by making on the spot decisions that were not thought out - for example, after her crash she may have mistaken the frozen river next to the road for a field and upon crossing it, broke through... she may have simply ran to the point of being exhausted and fallen asleep somewhere, only to have froze to death.... she may have accept a ride... a tow truck or other person monitoring/scanning may have heard of the crash...
In the end, so sad...

Suicide IMO means a person actually planning there own demise. Don't see Maura that way at all. Instead, I think she may have endangered herself by making on the spot decisions that were not thought out - for example, after her crash she may have mistaken the frozen river next to the road for a field and upon crossing it, broke through... she may have simply ran to the point of being exhausted and fallen asleep somewhere, only to have froze to death.... she may have accept a ride... a tow truck or other person monitoring/scanning may have heard of the crash...
In the end, so sad...

I think we can both agree that (after her second wreck) a whole new bunch of variables opened up.

She could've been hit by a car at some point. She was wearing dark clothing and pretty vulnerable for that.

She could've gotten lost trying to get away from her accident on foot. The area where she wrecked is vast when it comes to forest and trails.

It is possible she got a ride from someone with bad intentions but it is also just as possible that she got a ride from someone just trying to be helpful.

She wasn't that far from actually reaching (what I believe to be her final destination that night, Bartlett, NH). Someone could've been driving through that night that wasn't even from that local area, they may have taken maura the rest of the way and never thought twice about that night again. Believe me, the maura murray story isn't all that well known.

I stayed in Hadley while visiting UMASS this summer and there wasn't one person I talked to (and that includes the hotel manager of the hotel maura's father stayed at when Maura had her first wreck; the hotel manager started working at this particular hotel during the same month that Maura's dad stayed there and she has been there ever since) who had even ever heard the name maura murray or knew anything about the case.

In the end, so sad...

Exactly! I too think she was working on impulse, which lead to all the calamities (car crashes) and then her disappearance. Her actions appeared highly emotional and not well thought out.

I agree with most of your theory (except the suicide part). Like you, I feel there was absolutely no evidence she was driving tandem with someone or meeting someone in NH. Everything points to her winging it alone. She could have dropped in on someone up there, but the chances of her being killed by that person or running away with them seems extremely remote to me. JMO

Sorry if this has been said before, but what were the weather conditions? My amateur google search brought up results saying it was in the 20's that night. She left her car around 7 PM... I'm assuming it wasn't in the 20's then.

After reading through all of the threads and the blogs and Internet sites, I really think she is still alive. Maybe it's wishful thinking, but after taking everything in (here, the official Maura website, the blogs)... Something doesn't seem right.

Sorry if this has been said before, but what were the weather conditions? My amateur google search brought up results saying it was in the 20's that night. She left her car around 7 PM... I'm assuming it wasn't in the 20's then.

After reading through all of the threads and the blogs and Internet sites, I really think she is still alive. Maybe it's wishful thinking, but after taking everything in (here, the official Maura website, the blogs)... Something doesn't seem right.

(I don't know how accurate this is) but the weather almanac has the high temp for that day in that area as being 35.6 degrees or something real close to that. But the low for that night ended up being (-7) degrees. No precipitation was reported for that day in this area. the very next day, the high temp was once again right under 36 degrees while the low was something like 28 degrees that night.

I just picked up these postings from 2 blogs - completely different sites...the first is from 2009 and 2nd Feb 2012 (taken from another blog). I hope that makes sense.

Great link here too, has more recent information and data regarding the 2nd blog post:

http://mauramurray.blogspot.com/2012/02/does-mauras-cousin-know-true-story-of.html

1st blog:
Tourist in Canada wrote:
I saw Maura Murray alive and well in Sherbrooke Quebec, I approached her and said "Hi Maura". She turned toward me and said "Hi" then gasped and looked like she was going to pass out from shock. I have no doubt this was Maura Murray. She is apparently alive and well and living in Canada. When I saw her she was with very handsome young man.

2nd blog:
http://mauramurray.blogspot.com/, found a post that had someone writing on a forum that she wanted to disappear. On a website this was posted, supposedly by a relative of hers:
Maura Murray is NOT a Missing Person
Maura Murray has the right as every independent adult does to leave with her new boyfriend and start a new life. Maura is living a content and satisfying life in the Province of Quebec. Maura's father Fred Murray never quite forgave her for being asked to leave West Point. It was his personal bragging point that he had two daughters at West Point. Maura's dismissal damaged Fred's ego and he never completely forgave her.
Maura's being asked to leave West Point and all the ensuing criticism by her father was the beginning of a certain line of thought for Maura, culminating in her leaving on Feb 9, 2004 to start a new life unencumbered by the constant criticism of her father. Maura's relationship with William Rausch was near its end. Ac- cording to Maura's sister Kathleen, they were having 'serious problems.' Maura had met someone new, who unlike William Rausch had no West Point connections and therefore was not a constant reminder to her of her failure at West Point.
On the night of February 5 2004 Maura took a break from her job at the security desk at a UMass dormitory to go and briefly get coffee and some food.
Sometime between 12 MN and 1 AM Maura driving her Saturn struck and critically injured the UMass student Petrit Vasi leav- ing him for dead.
Around 1 AM - 1:20 AM Feb 6 Maura had a complete emotional breakdown brought on by this hit and run accident. Maura's breakdown was witnessed by a student who reported this to Maura's supervisor, who then came and saw that Maura needed physical help to get back to her dormitory. The supervisor then physically helped Maura back to her dorm and recommended counseling.
Between 2 and 3 AM on the morning of Sunday Feb 8 Maura had a second motor vehicle accident wrecking her father's new car.
Fred Murray's new car was towed around 3 AM to his Hadley motel room. Maura arrived at Fred's motel at the same time as a passenger in the tow truck. Fred was not happy with Maura to put it mildly. What happened in this motel room we'll never know but I do know for a fact that there was some physical violence on the part of Fred Murray. Fred Murray has a history of domestic violence. The next day Maura left for good.
Maura needed to disguise the evidence of the Petrit Vasi hit and run by staging another accident for the purpose of covering up the damage to her car from the Vasi hit and run. She and her new boyfriend travelled in tandem to Route 112 in NH (He was already in Southern NH). The accident was staged, she left her Saturn, walked down the road to where her boyfriend was waiting for her in his car. She disappeared, her only wish is that she be left alone to live her life in peace. She is happy and contented and just wants to be left alone.���

I just picked up these postings from 2 blogs - completely different sites...the first is from 2009 and 2nd Feb 2012 (taken from another blog). I hope that makes sense.

Great link here too, has more recent information and data regarding the 2nd blog post:

http://mauramurray.blogspot.com/2012/02/does-mauras-cousin-know-true-story-of.html

1st blog:
Tourist in Canada wrote:
I saw Maura Murray alive and well in Sherbrooke Quebec, I approached her and said "Hi Maura". She turned toward me and said "Hi" then gasped and looked like she was going to pass out from shock. I have no doubt this was Maura Murray. She is apparently alive and well and living in Canada. When I saw her she was with very handsome young man.

2nd blog:
http://mauramurray.blogspot.com/, found a post that had someone writing on a forum that she wanted to disappear. On a website this was posted, supposedly by a relative of hers:
Maura Murray has the right as every independent adult does to leave with her new boyfriend and start a new life. Maura is living a content and satisfying life in the Province of Quebec. Maura's father Fred Murray never quite forgave her for being asked to leave West Point. It was his personal bragging point that he had two daughters at West Point. Maura's dismissal damaged Fred's ego and he never completely forgave her.
Maura's being asked to leave West Point and all the ensuing criticism by her father was the beginning of a certain line of thought for Maura, culminating in her leaving on Feb 9, 2004 to start a new life unencumbered by the constant criticism of her father. Maura's relationship with William Rausch was near its end. Ac- cording to Maura's sister Kathleen, they were having 'serious problems.' Maura had met someone new, who unlike William Rausch had no West Point connections and therefore was not a constant reminder to her of her failure at West Point.
On the night of February 5 2004 Maura took a break from her job at the security desk at a UMass dormitory to go and briefly get coffee and some food.
Sometime between 12 MN and 1 AM Maura driving her Saturn struck and critically injured the UMass student Petrit Vasi leav- ing him for dead.
Around 1 AM - 1:20 AM Feb 6 Maura had a complete emotional breakdown brought on by this hit and run accident. Maura's breakdown was witnessed by a student who reported this to Maura's supervisor, who then came and saw that Maura needed physical help to get back to her dormitory. The supervisor then physically helped Maura back to her dorm and recommended counseling.
Between 2 and 3 AM on the morning of Sunday Feb 8 Maura had a second motor vehicle accident wrecking her father's new car.
Fred Murray's new car was towed around 3 AM to his Hadley motel room. Maura arrived at Fred's motel at the same time as a passenger in the tow truck. Fred was not happy with Maura to put it mildly. What happened in this motel room we'll never know but I do know for a fact that there was some physical violence on the part of Fred Murray. Fred Murray has a history of domestic violence. The next day Maura left for good.
Maura needed to disguise the evidence of the Petrit Vasi hit and run by staging another accident for the purpose of covering up the damage to her car from the Vasi hit and run. She and her new boyfriend travelled in tandem to Route 112 in NH (He was already in Southern NH). The accident was staged, she left her Saturn, walked down the road to where her boyfriend was waiting for her in his car. She disappeared, her only wish is that she be left alone to live her life in peace. She is happy and contented and just wants to be left alone.���

These rumors have been floating around for a while. I don't know what happened to MM with any more certainty than anyone else, but this story seems pretty implausible to me. For one thing, the poster who claims to be a relative who just wants people to leave MM alone to live her life in peace also claims that she hit someone with her car and simply drove away. If that were the case, MM has committed a serious crime and has no "right as every independent adult does to leave with her new boyfriend and start a new life". It strains credulity to think that a relative would both at once champion MM's right to disappear and at the same time reveal her location and allege a crime.

Just thought I'd post about a speculation posted on

Michelle Jenkins thread (murdered, allegedly by tow truck/snow plow business person and wife). Couldn't easily search to see if it's been posted here. The husband was born and raised in that area.

Someone speculated that perhaps Maura encountered this person after her accident. The link is to the first post and there are a few posts discussing it.

1st blog:
Tourist in Canada wrote:

2nd blog:

Who knows? Maybe the perp who killed her made this story up to confuse everybody. I have to wonder why this person didn't identify themselves? Since they didn't ID themselves, I cannot trust the source. It just seems so pat. Also, they must have had contact with Maura to know her whereabouts and plans. It is most likely a cruel hoax. JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shawnp625