NH NH - Maura Murray, 21, Haverhill, 9 Feb 2004 - # 9

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was interested in the "witness reported seeing a man smoking a cigarette" initial report. This was later explained by the possibility of that witness seeing a red light on Maura's cell phone, but I never saw it confirmed anywhere that her model phone actually had a red light on it. That in mind, I picked up a Sprint Samsung SPH-A620 (her phone according to the Maura Murray Missing website) and can confirm the phone does have a red light on it. I've only gotten it to come on when I've turned the phone itself on, but it's possible that it could come on at other times, such as connecting a call. I don't have Sprint, so I can't actually make successful calls on the phone to test further. (I'll look into activating the phone with another carrier, such as Boost Mobile, but if the cost is too high, then I've gone as far as I'd care to with this experiment.)

Pictures forthcoming when I get a working digital camera again.

Keep in mind, the witnesses were looking out a window at night and Maura's car was across the road. They really needed to stretch their vision to see. Do the keys light up on the phone? Sometimes they omit a color light such as amber or red. I tend to think Mrs. Westman was mistaken, because I had made the same mistake myself. I thought someone was smoking a cigarette, but then I noticed it was a cell phone. JMO

Keep in mind, the witnesses were looking out a window at night and Maura's car was across the road. They really needed to stretch their vision to see. Do the keys light up on the phone? Sometimes they omit a color light such as amber or red. I tend to think Mrs. Westman was mistaken, because I had made the same mistake myself. I thought someone was smoking a cigarette, but then I noticed it was a cell phone. JMO

No, the keys light up green and aren't very bright.

Depending on the position of the car, the red light or image light could have been emanating from the dashboard of the car... Suppose the engine stalled after the crash and the ignition was still in the on position, the check engine light (orange) The brake, oil, temp, battery lights (red) would be displaying. One light might not be visible from a distance, but combine 3 or 4 red lights together they would blend and create a larger looking display

–this is AWOLNATION

Depending on the position of the car, the red light or image light could have been emanating from the dashboard of the car... Suppose the engine stalled after the crash and the ignition was still in the on position, the check engine light (orange) The brake, oil, temp, battery lights (red) would be displaying. One light might not be visible from a distance, but combine 3 or 4 red lights together they would blend and create a larger looking display

–this is AWOLNATION

IIRC, the witness thought the red light was coming from someone standing outside, behind the car - hence the general belief has been it was simply MM pressing the brake pedal and no one was out in back of her car...

IIRC, the witness thought the red light was coming from someone standing outside, behind the car - hence the general belief has been it was simply MM pressing the brake pedal and no one was out in back of her car...

Not doubting that, I was just throwing out another idea

–this is AWOLNATION

Not doubting that, I was just throwing out another idea

–this is AWOLNATION

Ooops, hope I didn't sound harsh or anything. I appreciate you're throwing out ideas. It would be something if it turned out there really was someone standing in back of he car smoking a cigarette - perhaps doing that while stuffing a rag into the tail pipe...

Ooops, hope I didn't sound harsh or anything. I appreciate you're throwing out ideas. It would be something if it turned out there really was someone standing in back of he car smoking a cigarette - perhaps doing that while stuffing a rag into the tail pipe...

It's all good, not harsh at all.

I've said this before in a post, but with all the speculation about the car, the rag, and it's issues, I really would like to know if LE ever did an inspection on the car. An in depth one, taking a look at the ECU (on board diagnostics) to see if there was a failure mechanically. It would definitely tell if there was a lost cylinder, misfire, any type of blockage in the exhaust. Also a visual inspection of the actual mechanical parts under the hood, chassis, and any leaks.

People have put forth the theory that MM was drinking, but that could be totally moot. The car could have had a major failure causing loss of control and leading to the accident.

I think a lot of answers in the form of a precursor with the vehicle could potentially answer and rule out some theories.

8 almost 9 years have past, the public is only aware of certain facts and or rumors. They have been chewed, regurgitated, and chewed again until people start believing things that may be so inconsequential that it's just wasting people's time.

I'm not trying to be cynical, don't get me wrong, but the lack of info in recent years and lack of searches and communication leads me to believe that some truths are known but no one wants to talk about it.

BTW, does anyone know if an individual group of people who wanted to form a new search effort would have to have permission from LE or the family to do a search? I don't think there would be a shortage of volunteers to help, myself included. I live in massachusetts, not to far from the accident scene and would most definitely be up for a search. I think it would be pretty awesome if a group of websleuthers got together for a search.

–this is AWOLNATION

I think all of the explanations for the light are good. I was mostly interested in the phone because I kept seeing the initial report come up in my readings. I don't think that there was a person smoking with her, but I wanted to see if the cell phone was a plausible explanation, and it appears that it is. If the cell phone didn't have a red light, the possibility of another person there, however slim, would still be on the table for me.

I also live in the same general area as AWOLNATION and would be up for some in-person sleuthing.

:bump:

Wish you could be home for the holidays, Maura. :(

pq46J.jpg

The dates don't quite jive here, but I would wonder how certain they are with respect to the dates at this point in time.

Anyway I thought that this case might be one that just might fit this guy. Nothing to base it on but a gut instinct to be honest. Although I have not posted on this case here much I have followed it for some time.

Have You Ever met Israel Keyes? Possible Serial Killer

10/05/2004 to 10/16/2004 Eastern US
04/20/2005 to 04/25/2005 WA, British Columbia
05/10/2006 to 05/15/2006 Western US
09/01/2006 to 09/07/2006 Alaska
10/21/2006 to 10/23/2006 Western US, Mexico
11/08/2006 to 11/16/2006 Alaska
02/05/2007 to 02/08/2007 Southwest US
03/01/2007 to 03/09/2007 WA, Canada (drove to Alaska)
04/24/2007 to 05/04/2007 Western US, Mexico
08/26/2007 to 09/06/2007 Western US
10/29/2007 to 11/02/2007 Western US
11/12/2007 to 11/13/2007 Western US
12/04/2007 to 12/17/2007 Midwest and Western US
01/05/2008 to 01/08/2008 Western US
01/28/2008 to 02/15/2008 Southern US and Western US
05/11/2008 to 05/17/2008 Western US
07/03/2008 to 07/07/2008 Western US
09/16/2008 to 09/24/2008 Western US
10/24/2008 to 11/05/2008 Southwest US, Midwest US and Western US
12/05/2008 to 12/07/2008 Hawaii
12/11/2008 to 12/25/2008 Mexico
02/23/2009 to 02/27/2009 Western US
04/01/2009 to 04/14/2009 Eastern US, Western US
09/11/2009 to 10/03/2009 Southern US
12/17/2009 to 12/29/2009 Southern US
01/11/2010 to 02/25/2010 Western US
03/01/2010 to 03/10/2010 Western US
04/24/2010 to 04/30/2010 Western US
05/19/2010 to 07/18/2010 Midwest US and Western US
07/18/2010 to 07/22/2010 Southwest US
10/15/2010 to 10/25/2010 Midwest US, Eastern US
06/02/2011 to 06/16/2011 Midwest US, Eastern US
09/15/2011 to 09/25/2011 Western US
02/02/2012 to 02/18/2012 Southern US
03/06/2012 to 03/13/2012 Southwestern and Southern US

http://www.ktva.com/home/outbound-xm....html?strypg=2

This case absolutely baffles me, because her last known activities suggest leaving the state and getting her head together for a while, but I doubt this is what she intended by that.

The dogs tracked her scent along the road and then it stopped, according to Disappeared, so I think she probably got into a car and that person killed her. I think the dogs would have her scent if she had gone into the woods.

I see James is mentioning on his blog:

http://mauramurray.blogspot.com/

"A much more likely explanation is that Maura was traveling in tandem with someone she knew and left with them after they turned around to pick her up after she crashed. "

What he says goes along (somewhat) with a theory I advanced - snipped from: Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - NH - Maura Murray, 21, Haverhill, 9 Feb 2004 - #9

Another way (driving a car in bad shape) is if she knew someone was going to follow her route a bit later, and if she broke down would pick her up...

The problem with my theory, or that of someone following right behind her, - why haven't they come forward?

Well, it might depend upon what the purpose of her trip was - suppose for a moment her car had been involved in some sort of accident by her college and she was fearful of it being investigated - so a plan is set in place to for her to drive the car out of state and either it will be sold there, junked, or whatever...

The plan goes awry when she crashes in Haverhill. She gets taken before whomever was following her, or was going to meet her the next day, joins up with her. So, what should the person she was going to meet up with to do now? - come forward? Might doing so only serve to distract LE from searching for her? Not to mention having to explain things and being scrutinized.

I see James is mentioning on his blog:

http://mauramurray.blogspot.com/

"A much more likely explanation is that Maura was traveling in tandem with someone she knew and left with them after they turned around to pick her up after she crashed. "

What he says goes along (somewhat) with a theory I advanced - snipped from: Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - NH - Maura Murray, 21, Haverhill, 9 Feb 2004 - #9

The problem with my theory, or that of someone following right behind her, - why haven't they come forward?

Well, it might depend upon what the purpose of her trip was - suppose for a moment her car had been involved in some sort of accident by her college and she was fearful of it being investigated - so a plan is set in place to for her to drive the car out of state and either it will be sold there, junked, or whatever...

The plan goes awry when she crashes in Haverhill. She gets taken before whomever was following her, or was going to meet her the next day, joins up with her. So, what should the person she was going to meet up with to do now? - come forward? Might doing so only serve to distract LE from searching for her? Not to mention having to explain things and being scrutinized.

Her father owned the car, so she wouldn't have been able to sell it. She could have been going up there to fix the front end damage, but I still don't think it was her intentions for going north. James seems stuck on her sharing her plans with a male. I just don't see it. IMO, I think her dad was a lot more upset with her about her wrecking his car than we know. I don't blame him, but I think she felt horrible about herself for causing the wreck. Between that and the cc fraud, I don't think she was thinking straight enough to conjure up a plan to get rid of the Saturn. I guess I just can't shake the thought that her drive up north was impulsive and emotionally driven. JMO

Her father owned the car, so she wouldn't have been able to sell it. She could have been going up there to fix the front end damage, but I still don't think it was her intentions for going north. James seems stuck on her sharing her plans with a male. I just don't see it. IMO, I think her dad was a lot more upset with her about her wrecking his car than we know. I don't blame him, but I think she felt horrible about herself for causing the wreck. Between that and the cc fraud, I don't think she was thinking straight enough to conjure up a plan to get rid of the Saturn. I guess I just can't shake the thought that her drive up north was impulsive and emotionally driven. JMO

What I like about what you said is that it is a simple explanation (BBM), and as such the odds favor it to be reason she took off.
Along the lines of a simple explanation being most often the best - seems she just happened to be at the wrong place, wrong time in Haverhill after her crash and was taken.

Just in case it wasn't clear about the possible connection between Keyes and this area, he killed a couple in Vermont in June 2011 (Bill and Lorraine Currier).

He also admitted to killing a woman "on the East Coast" and buried her in New York within the past decade.

His first sexual assault was between 1996-1998.

It's been all over the New England news lately: http://www.boston.com/news/local/ve...s-murderers/2YxaiGf3r5ZEFt3eNsnGBO/story.html

Just in case it wasn't clear about the possible connection between Keyes and this area, he killed a couple in Vermont in June 2011 (Bill and Lorraine Currier).

He also admitted to killing a woman "on the East Coast" and buried her in New York within the past decade.

god, i hope that wasnt maura :(

i knew maura a little in college (friend of a friend, we met in the fall before she went missing). i remember in the beginning i wasnt worried at all. i was so certain she was coming back. 8+ years later and a lot wiser, i see how naive that was...

looking for maura is how i found WS, though i have been hesitant to post here. i know i have nothing to offer but thanks to all the people who have never given up looking...

though i want to believe she is ok somewhere, more realistically, i at least would hope she met a peaceful end on her own terms, not at the hands of someone like keyes.

god, i hope that wasnt maura :(

i knew maura a little in college (friend of a friend, we met in the fall before she went missing). i remember in the beginning i wasnt worried at all. i was so certain she was coming back. 8+ years later and a lot wiser, i see how naive that was...

looking for maura is how i found WS, though i have been hesitant to post here. i know i have nothing to offer but thanks to all the people who have never given up looking...

though i want to believe she is ok somewhere, more realistically, i at least would hope she met a peaceful end on her own terms, not at the hands of someone like keyes.

:welcome6:, Jerri Blank! We're thrilled to have you here. :seeya:

I found Websleuths originally through looking for Maura as well . . . I began lurking here on and off in late 2004 after she disappeared and have been hooked since! Finally signed up for an account early this year. :p I, however, did not know her and have never met her, but I'm glad you had the chance to meet her through a friend of a friend and got to know her a little!

Again, welcome -- I really hope you can stick around! :)

thanks neverletgo! this is an amazing community of people and when i see how many people you all have brought home, i am truly amazed. i hope maura is found soon, but i plan to stick around after.

in the time i knew maura and had the fortune to hang out with her, she was such a genuinely like-able person... i know when she went missing it hit a lot of people on campus pretty hard.

thinking back on what happened, i wish i knew her better to say what her true state of mind was when she left. if she was depressed/experiencing some sort of mental distress, UMass is the kind of place it would be really easy hide it. it could have been going on for a lot longer than the days before the accident. it's a big enough place you can just avoid people when you need to and they assume you are off doing something somewhere else. your family at home can certainly be kept in the dark.

ETA: not saying i think she killed herself (i really dont know what i think happened to her), just that if she was going through something, perhaps her guard was down. depression can be draining to the point of exhaustion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marytb