Nifong Disbarred - What next?

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I would suspect the new DA is going to be too busy handling appeals by those convicted under Nifong's watch, just in case he withheld evidence in those trials too. And rightfully so.

I was thinking the same thing. The new DA is going to be so busy with appeals, he/she won't have time to go to trial on new cases.

All the DA's office has to do is contact the posters on this forum. We have all the info and all the notes. We could get them up and running on this case fast as heck. We could give them background on all the people involved and most of the time steer them to the blogs. LOL!!

Yeah, ah, we're here for you DPD and DDA, what ever you can't find we'll tell you where to go look because we been over IT ALL.

LOL!!

baby_computer.jpg

Our eager operators are standing by.

LOL - and I'm sure we all have all the old sites downloaded to our computer and on disks:D

Jun 28, 11:42 AM EDT

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/storie...ME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2007-06-28-11-42-46

Nifong a No-Show at Removal Hearing
By AARON BEARD
Associated Press Writer

DURHAM, N.C. (AP) -- Disgraced prosecutor Mike Nifong didn't show up Thursday at a hearing to consider his immediate removal as Durham County district attorney, a position from which is has been suspended and already pledged to resign.

An interesting quote from that article:

"Also Thursday, another judge set a July 26 hearing to consider holding Nifong in criminal contempt of court. Superior Court Judge W. Osmond Smith III said he had found probable cause to believe Nifong "willfully and intentionally made false statements of material fact" during a hearing held last year in the lacrosse case.

Defense attorneys for the three lacrosse players falsely accused of rape had asked Smith last week to hold Nifong in contempt, arguing he "engaged in a pattern of official prosecutorial misconduct, which violated at least a dozen laws, rules and court orders designed to protect due process and the pursuit of truth."

If held in criminal contempt, Nifong faces up to 30 days in jail and a fine of up to $500.

Smith Sets Date

Anne Blythe from the N&O reports that Judge Smith has set a date for Mike Nifong's contempt of court hearing: July 26.

Smith's complete language:
Upon motion of the defendants and on its own motion, the Court finds probable cause to believe that you should be held in criminal contempt of court for your willful behavior committed during the sitting of the Court in its immediate view specifically, that while appearing before the Court in your capacity as District Attorney in the prosecution of these actions, you willfully and intentionally made false statements of material fact to the Court on September 22, 2006 by representing to the Court that the May 12, 2006 report of Dr. Brian W. Meehan as provided to the defendants included all of the statements made by Dr. Meehan to you regarding the results of all examinations and tests conducted by DNA Security Inc. and that there was nothing else to provide; and in doing do, you thereby failed to disclose the existence of material exculpatory and impeachment evidence within your knowledge that the defendants were entitled to under our laws of discovery. This behavior is in violation N.C.G.S.5A-11(a)(2).
.You are hereby ordered to appear before this Court on the date indicated below and show cause why you should not be punished for contempt of court. If you do not appear as ordered, without justification or reasonable excuse, the Court may issue an order for your arrest as by law provided.
Note that the language specifies that Smith was acting not only as a result of the defense motion but also on his own prerogative; and his warning to Nifong that if the ex-DA doesn't show up, he could be arrested.

Durham-in-Wonderland

Thursday, June 28, 2007

Does anyone have a timeline on this whole thing? This interest me of the fall of a DA

DURHAM COUNTY

http://www.charlotte.com/local/story/182960.html

Nifong quits DA's post, beating deadlineResignation, effective immediately, comes before judge's hearing

ANNE BLYTHE

(Raleigh) News & Observer

DURHAM --

Mike Nifong sent his second resignation letter to Gov. Mike Easley on Monday, 67 minutes before a Superior Court judge was to resume a hearing on his ouster as district attorney.

The two-paragraph letter, announcing the suspended district attorney's immediate resignation, came across a fax machine in the governor's office at 9:53 a.m.

Nifong stated his reasons for not waiting until July 13 to leave office, a timeline laid out in his first resignation letter two weeks earlier.
"It was my hope at that time to facilitate a professional transition to a new administration for the fine people who work for the Durham District Attorney's Office," Nifong said in his Monday announcement. "The circumstances that have arisen since my initial letter of resignation have made it clear that such an effort is no longer either necessary or practical."

(rest of story at link)

BlueRidgeNow.com

Published Friday, July 20, 2007

Defense attorneys: rush to convict hindered Duke lacrosse case

By AARON BEARD Associated Press Writer

~~ clip

Nifong faces a preliminary hearing next week to determine whether he should be held in criminal contempt of court for lying to a judge during a hearing in the lacrosse case last year.

At least one panel member was concerned that former police chief Steven Chalmers didn't take a lead role in the much-publicized case.

"I'll try to say this as respectfully as I can," said Kenneth Spaulding, a Durham attorney. "I just sort of felt that the chief was missing in action."

Spaulding said he hoped that, in future cases, investigators "are not left hanging out there by themselves, trying to deal with probably one of the most powerful people in the county who's elected. And that's the district attorney."

I would love to know what kind of chief of police let's this happen in his department. Obviously one that has mentally checked out of his role as Chief a long time ago. What a waste of space.

Why isn't Durham pissed off about this? Is anyone talking about the amount of money that has been wasted by Mr. Nifong? How much attention he has taken away from real crime victims, people like Janet?

North Carolina State Bar disbars former D.A. Nifong Associated Press
P[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana][SIZE=-1]osted at 7:00 a.m., Thursday, July 12, 2007[/SIZE][/FONT]

RALEIGH, N.C. — The North Carolina State Bar on Thursday issued a formal order disbarring former district attorney Mike Nifong for his handling of the now-discredited Duke lacrosse rape case.

Nifong must surrender his law license to the bar no later than 30 days from when he is served with the order. He also must pay costs associated with his June ethics trial.
A disciplinary hearing committee decided to disbar Nifong after finding he had committed at least two dozen violations of the state's rules of professional conduct. The violations included lying to the court and withholding DNA evidence that showed genetic material from several males — though none from a Duke lacrosse player — had been found on the accuser.

see rest of the story here:
http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/article/2007/Jul/12/br/br4038217965.html

Nifong: The Dog Ate My Law License

AUGUST 15--In a pathetic end to the Mike Nifong saga, the disgraced North Carolina prosecutor who handled the Duke rape investigation has turned in his law license, noting that he never framed or displayed the document because it had been damaged "by a puppy in her chewing stage." Additionally, in an August 7 letter to the North Carolina State Bar, Nifong noted that the law license also contained a misspelling of his middle name (which is Byron). A copy of Nifong's "the dog ate my law license" letter can be found at the link below.

The Smoking Gun

That letter is pathetic. He shows his lack of professionalism all the way to the end of his career.

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!
Anyone want some cheese with that whine? Pffffffft! The dog ate my license! hahahahahahaa!!!

Call him a Waaaambulance!

(i think that joke officially died with this post)

:slap:

Former Durham County District Attorney Mike Nifong was sentenced to one day in jail for willfully making false statements in court when pursuing rape charges against three falsely accused Duke lacrosse players, a judge ruled Friday in holding the disbarred prosecutor in criminal contempt court.

Nifong must carry out his sentence beginning 9 a.m. Friday, Sept. 7, Superior Court Judge W. Osmond Smith III ruled.

http://www.wral.com/news/local/story/1763323/

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxnum
Back