NJ NJ - Brielle, WhtFem 18-30, UP2274, hit by train, blue rosary, clothes, scars, Jun'08

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Poland: there's Facebook page "Zaginieni przed laty", they also have a website. Zaginieni.pl is, in my humble opinion, very poorly managed site. It even seems like they don't remove profiles of people who were found alive or dead.

Thank you for this. I'll take a look!

I do think it is plausible given the possessions and sketch. Are there any other websites for missing Polish nationals? I haven't found a match on the website for the Polish Police.

I'll just say that I'd be very wary of determining anything based on the PM photo other than that she was fair-skinned and possibly dyed her hair. Based on the injuries described, the head was essentially the main point of contact and resulted in significantly distorted facial features based on injuries inflicted to the skull.

To date, I've checked the national websites for the following:

Poland
Czech Republic
Doe Network
Interpol
Croatia (very unclear data)
Romania
Hungary
Slovenia
Canada
Ireland

The Ukrainian, Belarusian, and Russian websites for missing persons have been very difficult to locate.

Good work done! Bringing my post over from another thread.

For Russia I found out its complicated. I didn't find a good overall database, there is probably not even one....for one there is the language barrier...then you have to find out if the info is up to date or old and updated....most of the mp's announced, if you find them, are static pictures (so impossible to copy/paste the text and translate automatically), they describe the stats differently sometimes (big mouth, round eyes etc.) and off course somehow there must be a notice that somebody immigrated or traveled to America or a hunch....at least that would make things easier... In the past I found several sites and saved them, but later on they don't seem to be there anymore or don't open......so sadly I can't give you a couple of sites "out of the pocket".....it's frustrating, but not impossible.....

To add: then there are a lot of forced disappearances, that doesn't make it any easier.

I have some links to the Russian missing persons....but I got lost in all the opened threads....will come up with it soon.

Yes, found it.

Missing in the Moskou region
Пропавшие без вести - Следственного комитета Российской Федерации по Московской области

Missing in other constituent entities of the Russian Federation
Пропавшие без вести в других субъектах Российской Федерации - Следственного комитета Российской Федерации по Республике Башкортостан

Greetings old timers here! This is Webrocket. The laptop I used to use crashed years ago and I forgot all my login credentials. Other priorities in life caused me to ignore WS. Now that I have a little more time on my hands I thought I would rejoin.

While it might have been mentioned earlier, I found an article from the time of the accident and I snipped a piece of it. The article mentioned dark hair which is not what is visible on the side of her face. It also placed her age on the younger side of the official range.

As an aside, at the Namus page for this UID there are no rule outs listed. Did Namus change its format?

Attachments

• clip_83711621.jpg
    clip_83711621.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 23
In the interest of exhausting all avenues, I had been looking into the area, and a few news stories came up around 2008. This is my bit of a write-up about a different kind of angle.

There are about 1,030 students at Manasquan High School, which serves students from Avon, Brielle, Belmar, Spring Lake, Spring Lake Heights, and Sea Girt, New Jersey. Between April 2008 and 2011, this suicide cluster, known as the Manasquan Suicide Cluster, claimed the lives of 9 teens and young adults. Six were deaths by commuter train. It's generally believed the students were influenced by the prior deaths. The train deaths occurred between Sea Girt and Belmar.

Seven of these nine had connections to Manasquan High School.

April 2008 - Tim S., 18

June 2008 - Andrew C., 18

August 2008 - Joseph C., 20

December 2008 - Andrew K., 19

October 2009 - Matthew C., 17

2010 - Unnamed Teenager. Identity withheld at request of family.

May 2010 - Marcus C., 21

October 2010 - Aaron S., 20

April 2011 - Lily S., 19

At least 7/9 of the deaths were those of young men, and possibly 8/9 depending upon the identity of the unnamed teenager. Brielle Jane Doe would be an anomaly within this cluster based on her gender. The death of Tim S. occurred in April, with the next death occurring 5 days after the death of Brielle Jane Doe, which I believe also coincided with graduation. Is it possible that Brielle Jane Doe was aware of the death of Tim S., either through local news or a connection to Manasquan High School?

Immediately I can think of some objections. For example, if Brielle Jane Doe was from the area, why carry area maps if it was a place she would have known? The answer could be that she was using the maps to locate train tracks.

Secondly, if she was from the area, wouldn't someone have recognized her? While it may seem unheard of that she is an unrecognized local, there have been many people who have gone missing and have gone unreported for one reason or another. In addition, Brielle Jane Does' features were distorted by the accident, and so it would be possible that the sketch does not resemble her.

The outstanding question would be the reason for multiple forms of clothing if she was intent on ending her life.

Nice insight WalkingCircles. I would tend to agree that if she had been a local girl, it never would have gotten this far. They would have known within 24 hours if this was a local girl who got hit by a train.

Hi, I am Byzantine, Eastern Rite Ukrainian Catholic and I can tell you, The Eastern Rite of the Church such as that in Russia and the Orthodox, Do not Pray the Rosary. That is traditionally a custom of the Western Roman Rite Church. The bracelet she is wearing was incredibly common at my Franciscan Catholic college in Ohio, worn by all the girls along with other rosary bracelets and such. They are Roman Rite items sold in every Catholic church rectory and given out at Catholic youth conferences. Icons from the Eastern Rite have big gold halos and extremely symmetrical blocky features to appear godlike. The images on the bracelet are small scale Roman Rite paintings that are more modern than the ancient icons of the East. I hope this was helpful! I just wanted to say that the jewelry does not in any way point to her of being specifically from Russia or that area of the world. In fact I have owned both of those items at some point in my life, as an Ohio white girl who grew up in the suburbs. Plastic rosaries of that quality, the rope and plastic beads glued on, are often bought in bulk as you can imagine, for cheap. For this reason I have most often seen this specific blue rosary in the mail from various Catholic charities asking for donations and prayers. You may also see it being given out at a Catholic shelter or soup kitchen. They are literally the cheapest Rosary available. A strong, practicing Catholic usually has a Rosary with better beads- but I'm not judging! Next, wearing the Rosary. That is a HUGE silly controversy in the Catholic Church among laity with nothing better to do. Practicing Catholics often argue against wearing the Rosary- and instead wear medals, especially the Miraculous Medcal if they are particularly devoted to Mary; however, I have noticed Hispanic countries wear Rosaries traditionally and meaningfully, but if say a Caucasian young girl is wearing one around her neck, she is either uneducated about her faith but interested or trusting, wearing it for fashion (I doubt that because she also had the saint bracelet), or she is wearing it for special protection that day, and it's the only thing she had (cheapest Rosary of all time) to give her comfort in her last moment OR if she was running away from a dangerous, trafficking situation or domestic abuse and clung to this. I looked and St. Dennis Catholic church was 3 mins around the corner from the Fisk street crossing where she was hit. St. Dennis has the "St. Vincent De Paul Food Pantry" out of the lower level of their church, where they could be handing out cheap Catholic items with meals. I have no further conclusive thoughts on that. Thank you for reading my long post... If she was homeless, why were her nails painted recently? (there is no gap from the paint to the skin like outgrow nails). Why was she carrying a tooth brush and a change of clothes? People thinking of taking their lives don't fear being cold or if their teeth rot. Maybe, despite the jewelry, she made a last second decision to jump in front of the train without much forethought, originally on her way to a different location. Lastly, I fear this was a crime considering this was probably a young woman. And as my boyfriend put it, women don't take their lives, statistically, as much as men. As much as they see homicide as a last resort in this case, the police said the black pants were in her bag... not on her. And it was 1:40am in the morning, and her fashion to me (other than the navy sweater) is young. As WalkingCircles said though, people know when young girls go missing. So I do think looking in other countries is a good idea, especially Canada or any states where you can travel to up and down the east coast by train and bus. The mention of Poland makes sense too, as they are a country more close to the Roman Rite practices than Russian. Her complexion looks like my mother, who is Irish and can't tan at all. The fact her belongings included an extra cap and scarf could have protected her light skin from the sun. I hope my ramblings offered further insight. Thank you!

Last edited:
When I saw the bracelet on NamUs it made me think of the bracelet that Bella Swan wore in Twilight. The movie came out in November '08 so it probably doesn't mean anything. Not sure what it would mean if they were the same. No idea if images from the movie were released around the time she passed or before. Random thoughts and I'm babbling.

Hi, I am Byzantine, Eastern Rite Ukrainian Catholic and I can tell you, The Eastern Rite of the Church such as that in Russia and the Orthodox, Do not Pray the Rosary. That is traditionally a custom of the Western Roman Rite Church. The bracelet she is wearing was incredibly common at my Franciscan Catholic college in Ohio, worn by all the girls along with other rosary bracelets and such. They are Roman Rite items sold in every Catholic church rectory and given out at Catholic youth conferences. Icons from the Eastern Rite have big gold halos and extremely symmetrical blocky features to appear godlike. The images on the bracelet are small scale Roman Rite paintings that are more modern than the ancient icons of the East. I hope this was helpful! I just wanted to say that the jewelry does not in any way point to her of being specifically from Russia or that area of the world. In fact I have owned both of those items at some point in my life, as an Ohio white girl who grew up in the suburbs. Plastic rosaries of that quality, the rope and plastic beads glued on, are often bought in bulk as you can imagine, for cheap. For this reason I have most often seen this specific blue rosary in the mail from various Catholic charities asking for donations and prayers. You may also see it being given out at a Catholic shelter or soup kitchen. They are literally the cheapest Rosary available. A strong, practicing Catholic usually has a Rosary with better beads- but I'm not judging! Next, wearing the Rosary. That is a HUGE silly controversy in the Catholic Church among laity with nothing better to do. Practicing Catholics often argue against wearing the Rosary- and instead wear medals, especially the Miraculous Medcal if they are particularly devoted to Mary; however, I have noticed Hispanic countries wear Rosaries traditionally and meaningfully, but if say a Caucasian young girl is wearing one around her neck, she is either uneducated about her faith but interested or trusting, wearing it for fashion (I doubt that because she also had the saint bracelet), or she is wearing it for special protection that day, and it's the only thing she had (cheapest Rosary of all time) to give her comfort in her last moment OR if she was running away from a dangerous, trafficking situation or domestic abuse and clung to this. I looked and St. Dennis Catholic church was 3 mins around the corner from the Fisk street crossing where she was hit. St. Dennis has the "St. Vincent De Paul Food Pantry" out of the lower level of their church, where they could be handing out cheap Catholic items with meals. I have no further conclusive thoughts on that. Thank you for reading my long post... If she was homeless, why were her nails painted recently? (there is no gap from the paint to the skin like outgrow nails). Why was she carrying a tooth brush and a change of clothes? People thinking of taking their lives don't fear being cold or if their teeth rot. Maybe, despite the jewelry, she made a last second decision to jump in front of the train without much forethought, originally on her way to a different location. Lastly, I fear this was a crime considering this was probably a young woman. And as my boyfriend put it, women don't take their lives, statistically, as much as men. As much as they see homicide as a last resort in this case, the police said the black pants were in her bag... not on her. And it was 1:40am in the morning, and her fashion to me (other than the navy sweater) is young. As WalkingCircles said though, people know when young girls go missing. So I do think looking in other countries is a good idea, especially Canada or any states where you can travel to up and down the east coast by train and bus. The mention of Poland makes sense too, as they are a country more close to the Roman Rite practices than Russian. Her complexion looks like my mother, who is Irish and can't tan at all. The fact her belongings included an extra cap and scarf could have protected her light skin from the sun. I hope my ramblings offered further insight. Thank you!

No such thing as ramblings! As another year passes, I'm happy to see that the case still garners interest. I'll try to respond to your points here--not as a rebuttal, but just as additional insight.

I have sought the report from New Jersey Transit but have been unable to obtain it, and it seems that the detective on the case has since left the NJTPD as I have been unable to find any trace.. I've been redirected several times from one office to another by NJTPD.

From the best that I can gather from the information available, the conductor of the train saw the girl on the tracks, sounded the horn, and tried to stop but was unable to do so. That's all I have. Whether she was standing or laying on the tracks or whether she was facing one direction or the other, I do not know. There did not seem to be any sign or coercion forcing her onto the tracks indicated anywhere in the case circumstances, so it appears to be a suicide based on all currently available information.

I do not know if I still have the autopsy report, but from memory, I can say that there were no signs that she had been sexually assaulted noted in that report. Everything indicated she was healthy. The medical examiner noted that she had a shirt tied around her waist and the pants had the presence of sand, so it is possible she was wearing the shirt as a kind of skirt.

The fact that she had a newspaper clipping from (what I can gather to be) the now-defunct "Islander" newspaper based several miles sound indicates that she may have been there in the days prior, but I was unable to confirm the circulation of the paper as it has been out of print for some time.

Given this, along with the presence of sand, some noted tanning, and the multiple scars on her hands, I wondered if she had been working in restaurants during the summer months along the shore, which would be the busy season for the area.

The saints bracelet was unfamiliar to me, but it must have meant something to her as it looked to have been missing one or two of the saints and had been hastily repaired. As for the rosary, I attended Catholic school in the 90s and we had been given cheap, plastic rosaries like that. I do appreciate your insight to the iconography of the differences in the churches, as it's something I'm not very familiar with.

From what I could see, the nails did not look to be painted professionally, or at least, not that I would guess. As only the one photo of her polish design is available, we cannot say for sure if it was consistent across all nails.

In the area, the weather can get chilly at night, especially around that time. Warm temperatures in the daytime can get into the 40s or 50s at night, so I have wondered if she was traveling to seek work in summer. It would make sense regarding why she was following train tracks, why she carried extra clothing (including a toothbrush), and the winter scene sweater was more or less the type of brand you'd find in a Walmart or Goodwill, so hardly trendy or expensive.

Based on the items she had on her, there was no indication she spoke a language other than English.

Last edited by a moderator:
State Police Seeking Public’s Assistance with Identifying Human Remains

The New Jersey State Police and the New Jersey Transit Police Department are seeking the public’s assistance with identifying the body of a woman that was fatally struck by a train in Monmouth County in 2008.

On June 15, 2008, the victim was struck by a New Jersey Transit train at the Fisk Avenue Crossing in Brielle, N.J. The victim was described as a white female, approximately 18-30 years old, 5’4” tall, approximately 123 lbs with hazel eyes and brown hair.

Below is a facial reconstruction sketch created by a detective from the New Jersey State Police Forensic Imaging Unit.

Anyone with information is asked to contact Detective Marianna Tropeano of the New Jersey Transit Investigations Bureau at 973-491-8634 or email at mtropeano@njtransit.com. Anonymous tips are welcome.

The bracelet doesn't have all the wooden frames, so I wonder if she chose which ones she wanted. I'm not a saint expert, but I see Jesus, Mary, Joseph and an angel. Basically, the "main" characters.

@Caring1 Hey could you post the current list of NamUs exclusions for this Jane Doe? I would greatly appreciate it.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
momster0734
Back