GUILTY NJ - Carolyn Byington, 26, killed inside her home, Plainsboro, 10 June 2019 *Arrest* #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
do people think that he worked out this alibi in advance, or was it just the first thing that popped into his head when he was going to be late?
Well, since he was so much smarter than everyone else, he probably made up this alibi in advance. I think he may have mentioned working on cars to some of his co-workers, IIRC.
Worked like a charm, didn't it? :confused:...:rolleyes:

They had been working together for around 3 years. Even if you don't directly work with someone you still see them during company holiday events and team meetings. I feel like this is something that grew and festered over time. If what the anonymous caller said was true and he had fantasies about murdering his wife this could have been something that evolved out of that given how closely they resemble each other. I feel like there's enough evidence here to prove he did it but I don't think the actual motive will be as easy to prove.

My thoughts exactly. The first thing so many of us said was how much Carolyn resembled his wife and then that anonymous phone call from a woman who dated him 11 years ago and mentioned his fantasy. He planned this. So sad that Carolyn, an innocent, accomplished, young woman was the victim of his sick, mind.

My thoughts exactly. The first thing so many of us said was how much Carolyn resembled his wife and then that anonymous phone call from a woman who dated him 11 years ago and mentioned his fantasy. He planned this. So sad that Carolyn, an innocent, accomplished, young woman was the victim of his sick, mind.
Ugh. That lookalike business just creeps me out...makes me shiver (really). I would assume his wife has seen CB's picture in the media somewhere. It's probably creeping her out, too, as well as any other people who know one but not the other..
Another <shiver>. And cold chills. Ugh.

"A Middlesex County grand jury has indicted a South Jersey man on first-degree murder and several new crimes for allegedly stabbing a coworker in her Plainsboro apartment this summer.

Kenneth C. Saal, 30, was initially charged in August with murder and a weapon charge in the June 10 death of 26-year-old Carolyn Byington. The two worked at marketing firm Engine US’s Princeton office in West Windsor, and prosecutors say Byington was killed after she went home for lunch.

On Friday, the Middlesex County Prosecutor’s Office announced Saal, of Lindenwold, in Camden County, had also been indicted on counts of burglary, stalking, endangering an injured victim, hindering his apprehension and tampering with evidence."

Grand jury adds more charges against N.J. man accused of killing coworker on her lunch break

BBM: I wonder what this is about.
I was also curious—here’s the legal definition of the term: 2015 New Jersey Revised Statutes :: Title 2C - THE NEW JERSEY CODE OF CRIMINAL JUSTICE :: Section 2C:12-1.2 - Endangering an injured victim

Here’s an excerpt SBM:
“Endangering an injured victim. a. A person is guilty of endangering an injured victim if he causes bodily injury to any person...and leaves the scene of the injury knowing or reasonably believing that the injured person is physically helpless, mentally incapacitated or otherwise unable to care for himself.”

b.As used in this section, the following definitions shall apply:

(1)"Physically helpless" means the condition in which a person is unconscious, unable to flee, or physically unable to summon assistance;

(2)"Mentally incapacitated" means that condition in which a person is rendered temporarily or permanently incapable of understanding or controlling one's conduct, or of appraising or controlling one's condition, which incapacity shall include but is not limited to an inability to comprehend one's own peril.

So I’m thinking perhaps poor Carolyn was still alive when KS left her apartment, but later died from injuries he inflicted (loss of blood from stab wounds) or as a result of where he left her after assaulting/stabbing her (I.e., drowning in a tub of water he might’ve left her unconscious body in—was there an official statement identifying the manner of death in this murder?).
MOO

Last edited:
Just looked that up too, thank you!!

Endangering an injured victim. a. A person is guilty of endangering an injured victim if he causes bodily injury to any person or solicits, aids, encourages, or attempts or agrees to aid another, who causes bodily injury to any person, and leaves the scene of the injury knowing or reasonably believing that the injured person is physically helpless, mentally incapacitated or otherwise unable to care for himself.

"A Middlesex County grand jury has indicted a South Jersey man on first-degree murder and several new crimes for allegedly stabbing a coworker in her Plainsboro apartment this summer.

Kenneth C. Saal, 30, was initially charged in August with murder and a weapon charge in the June 10 death of 26-year-old Carolyn Byington. The two worked at marketing firm Engine US’s Princeton office in West Windsor, and prosecutors say Byington was killed after she went home for lunch.

On Friday, the Middlesex County Prosecutor’s Office announced Saal, of Lindenwold, in Camden County, had also been indicted on counts of burglary, stalking, endangering an injured victim, hindering his apprehension and tampering with evidence."

Grand jury adds more charges against N.J. man accused of killing coworker on her lunch break

Thank you for sharing this. I guess this means Saal didn’t take the plea deal. Keeping my fingers crossed he gets life without parole.

Nov 15, 2019

Kenneth Saal is facing a mandatory life without parole sentence on the first-degree murder count.

Middlesex County Acting Prosecutor Christopher L.C. Kuberiet announced that a Camden County man was indicted yesterday for the murder of a Plainsboro woman who was found deceased in her apartment on June 10, 2019.

Kenneth C. Saal, 30, of Lindenwold, in Camden County, was indicted for first-degree murder, burglary in the second degree, endangering an injured victim, hindering one’s own apprehension, burglary, and possession of a weapon for an unlawful purpose, all third-degree crimes. The indictment also includes charges of stalking and tampering with evidence, both fourth-degree crimes.

Man Charged with First-Degree Murder of Co-Worker in Plainsboro

Pros did not hesitate or avoid presenting every possible charge against him to the GJ.

For example, they even threw in "hindering one's own apprehension!"

They desperately want him to take that 30 yr plea deal, imo.

WTF was he (not) thinking leaving her there (possibly alive in his mind) to suffer what was likely an agonizing death.

Extremely senseless murder and a bit on the sociopathic behavior scale on his part.

Sad to say, he is a very typical killer -- no mercy -- denying everything -- having a weak alibi.
Sociopathic tendencies, i.e., no regard for whom he hurts such as the victim and her family and friends, his own family, his fellow employees, and the workplace itself. Mr. Bigshot.

Does anyone know how I can find out in advance when the trial is scheduled? Not sure of my schedule, but I would like to attend the trial if possible.

90 days to go to grand jury, so this is the last prelim before that and then 6 months to go to trial.

The short answer is probably 6 months or longer before the trial scheduled.

I have found that public access to New Jersey criminal court cases top my list as most difficult to obtain information.

PROMIS/Gavel Public Access for NJ Courts provides that only defendants with a case(s) for which they were convicted and sentenced in Superior Court display in search results.

Obviously this does little good for cases in progress or looking for defendants cases prior to conviction!

Depending on the County -- some courthouses have Kiosks where you can look up a docket. However, in my opinion, for whatever reason, this case has been shrouded in secrecy from the beginning -- and one with very little media coverage.

By this time in an investigation, I've usually found a reporter that's consistently been reporting on a case and that goes to the County Court often, and will share schedule dates. Not with this case....

At this time, we know the preliminary hearing was on Oct 24 where it was formally announced that the DA's office offered a plea deal to Saal. We also learned a Grand Jury would convene early November if not accepted by that time.

Last week (Nov 15) it was reported that a Grand Jury indicted Saal and there was no reporting that I'm aware of between the preliminary and the indictment!

I know this isn't what you asked but If I was local I'd probably contact the Prosecutors Office in a few months and ask if this case has been scheduled for trial yet.

They've published their phone number again in the last article saying the investigation is active and continuing.

Anyone with information is asked to call Detective Tim McMahon of the Plainsboro Police Department at (609) 799-2333 ext. 1627, or Detective David Abromaitis of the Middlesex County Prosecutor’s Office at (732) 745-4436.

Leaving her to die (endangering an injured victim) was incredibly risky for him to do. He is truly sadistic to leave her to suffer for an unknown period of time. I am glad the grand jury added charges. Hopefully, his family will help him to see that he should plead guilty and spare this woman's family and friends the gruesome details that will come out in a trial.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
froggy4
Back