NJ - Carolyn Byington, 26, killed inside her home, Plainsboro, 10 June 2019 *Arrest*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks to the new posters who are also residents of the complex for providing insight. I'm glad you found this site as hopefully it also provides some sort of support for you all as neighbors of Carolyn.
I also am surprised Management would take 4 days to notify residents of a murder. Can't believe the case is still so quiet. No reward for info offered even. And yes, hard to believe with such paper thin walls the people who were home didn't see more.

Odds of her just stopping home one day at lunch and finding a burglar are so small. I really have no idea what to think here or any new theories to offer than we all already said. All I can do is pray for her family- I mean seriously how do you cope with this? and that an arrest is made very soon.

Stay safe

This is so confusing. If one were going to rob or enter an apartment during the day in broad daylight, why pick an upstairs one where there are neighbors below and you have to climb steps? It may sound minor, but to me it is just more chance to be noticed. If things can easily be heard, again, the upstairs apartment would not be a first choice and to steal, you are not going to take anything of any size and choose to carry it down steps and so much more chance of getting caught.

I keep thinking it had to be someone she knew, who had stayed over, or someone she did not so much know but who had an obsession with her, meaning not any person or apartment would do for this perp, but only her/hers and that could be someone in the complex or not. We do know however there are senseless crimes where criminals take ridiculous risks and do not think at all so I guess a random burglary or some such is possible but I think more unlikely.

If it was not someone working at the complex or a neighbor, it just seems it would most likely be personal. If truly drawn home, someone perhaps told her it was an emergency in her apartment, a neighbor contacted her and said they heard someone in her apartment or she left someone in her apartment or an ex or person known to her called to say they would meet her at her apartment and needed to talk to her now (or they were already there).

I really am not saying anything new that hasn't been said before, frustrating.

I just don't see it being a random theft or even a theft by a worker and she just happened to come home at lunchtime...? Now someone obsessed with her that lived or worked there, I could see as possible. Or if she had been dealing with odd things going on and suspicions someone was entering her apartment when she was gone, and went home midday hoping to catch someone...?

Or it is personal. I hope they have the person on their radar and are simply putting it together for a solid charge. Scary that whoever it is is on the loose.

Nothing new like I said, just the same old I am repeating hoping talking out loud will bring some new thoughts I guess.

Jmo.

This is so confusing. If one were going to rob or enter an apartment during the day in broad daylight, why pick an upstairs one where there are neighbors below and you have to climb steps? It may sound minor, but to me it is just more chance to be noticed. If things can easily be heard, again, the upstairs apartment would not be a first choice and to steal, you are not going to take anything of any size and choose to carry it down steps and so much more chance of getting caught.

I keep thinking it had to be someone she knew, who had stayed over, or someone she did not so much know but who had an obsession with her, meaning not any person or apartment would do for this perp, but only her/hers and that could be someone in the complex or not. We do know however there are senseless crimes where criminals take ridiculous risks and do not think at all so I guess a random burglary or some such is possible but I think more unlikely.

If it was not someone working at the complex or a neighbor, it just seems it would most likely be personal. If truly drawn home, someone perhaps told her it was an emergency in her apartment, a neighbor contacted her and said they heard someone in her apartment or she left someone in her apartment or an ex or person known to her called to say they would meet her at her apartment and needed to talk to her now (or they were already there).

I just don't see it being a random theft or even a theft by a worker and she just happened to come home at lunchtime...? Now someone obsessed with her that lived or worked there, I could see as possible. Or if she had been dealing with odd things going on and suspicions someone was entering her apartment when she was gone, and went home midday hoping to catch someone...?

Or it is personal. I hope they have the person on their radar and are simply putting it together for a solid charge. Scary that whoever it is is on the loose.

Nothing new like I said, just the same old I am repeating hoping talking out loud will bring some new thoughts I guess.

Jmo.

Since I first heard about this case, I’ve thought it was someone who had stayed over. Maybe I only thought that because the neighbors didn’t see anyone else besides Carolyn, but for some reason that’s been the scenario that keeps playing out in my head. Did the neighbors hear any footsteps or movement upstairs in the morning hours while Carolyn was at work? What about the night before? Just thinking out loud,

I agree with you both that this seems like a personal crime, that someone convinced her to come home and then attacked her once she got there and then left. But the fact that the police don't have any leads or suspects identified makes me think that can't be the case because that would leave a very damning and definitive trail to follow. That's what makes me think this is something out of the ordinary. Unless the communication was had in an unconventional manner ie an app rather than a text or phone call. The broad daylight aspect of this doesn't surprise me as in a large complex like this you would have more people at home at night and actually a higher chance of being spotted or heard. I think it was said earlier that those apartments are all single bedrooms which would equal couples or single people which would mean most of them would be vacated during the day since most people would have to work to afford to live there.

On that murder case I was a juror for a few years ago they were able to identify the suspect through the cell phone of the victim. The murderer took the victims cell phone, they were able to track the phone to it's location and used the call and text history to determine witnesses and a clear timeline of when the victim last used the phone and when the perp started using the phone to contact people. I doubt that if LE had someone specific in mind they would wait this long to get them in custody if they had anything remotely close to that level of evidence.

Since I first heard about this case, I’ve thought it was someone who had stayed over. Maybe I only thought that because the neighbors didn’t see anyone else besides Carolyn, but for some reason that’s been the scenario that keeps playing out in my head. Did the neighbors hear any footsteps or movement upstairs in the morning hours while Carolyn was at work? What about the night before? Just thinking out loud,

It really has been my first case scenario too and really still is. The fact it was a Monday just after a weekend is part of my thinking. She could have been going home even excited to see this person for a few minutes or to be sure he had left if she was concerned about it. The fact she was seen but no one seemed to see anyone enter or leave her apartment plays into that somewhat.

My next scenario would be a neighbor or someone working there but even then I feel it may be someone who had some obsession with her, even if she was unaware of it. As I said a robbery upstairs is a bit risky? The only reason I could see for that is if someone knew she had something of large value worth the risk and even then, it would have to be someone that was aware of her. I do believe in the little we know, LE said nothing seemed to be missing so robbery does not fit.

Unfortunately I don't think we know anything about the night before, the weekend before, or even any relationships; very little has been shared.

Jmo.

I agree with you both that this seems like a personal crime, that someone convinced her to come home and then attacked her once she got there and then left. But the fact that the police don't have any leads or suspects identified makes me think that can't be the case because that would leave a very damning and definitive trail to follow. That's what makes me think this is something out of the ordinary. Unless the communication was had in an unconventional manner ie an app rather than a text or phone call. The broad daylight aspect of this doesn't surprise me as in a large complex like this you would have more people at home at night and actually a higher chance of being spotted or heard. I think it was said earlier that those apartments are all single bedrooms which would equal couples or single people which would mean most of them would be vacated during the day since most people would have to work to afford to live there.

On that murder case I was a juror for a few years ago they were able to identify the suspect through the cell phone of the victim. The murderer took the victims cell phone, they were able to track the phone to it's location and used the call and text history to determine witnesses and a clear timeline of when the victim last used the phone and when the perp started using the phone to contact people. I doubt that if LE had someone specific in mind they would wait this long to get them in custody if they had anything remotely close to that level of evidence.

Your remarks do give a lot of food for thought. If I understand it correctly, her building was one bedrooms but there are twos and threes in the complex and children would be out of school, teenagers probably home, etc. To me, it still seems pretty bold but that is jmo.

I totally agree that if they had a trail by like cell phone and then enough reason to get a warrant for a perp's phone, etc., one would think there would be an arrest by now.

I do wonder though if for instance they have a who on their radar, so they know it is personal and the public is hopefully not in danger, if they are waiting for other return of evidence like DNA. I am still getting used to how much that varies in the US, autopsy results as well. It can be a quick turnaround or it can be months on end. I hope they are simply building a case and awaiting a few things.

There was a body here and there had to be some close contact in a one bedroom apartment with the noise. Wouldn't there almost have to be DNA? Doesn't mean he would be in the system but if they have a suspect to match...?

Jmo.

RBBM
That's what I meant when I said someone entered her apartment to peruse her stuff. Maybe a worker who was also a voyeur or a bit of a stalker. Could still be random and this person thought she would not be home since she never was. He went in (had a key) and was stalking in a sense, as in going though her stuff, planning to steal something. Random does happen even though we tend to try to find more concrete reasons.
If suspect was inside her apartment, either he/she had a key or he/she broke in somehow...maybe way earlier in the day.

I know, I agree with you that whatever direction we go in, there is a piece that doesn't quite fit.

For me hearing furniture moving was Carolyn trying to get away from the murderer or vs.

I sent an email to Plainsboro Police as my contact wasn’t able to find time on his calendar this week. I expressed the need to share information with the community at 1 or more meetings, how to ensure residents know how & when to contact the police, recommended that large apartment complexes in the area have security cameras, that education be ongoing for new residents in writing. Not sure if we will meet but if you have ideas that I should convey please let me know.

Your remarks do give a lot of food for thought. If I understand it correctly, her building was one bedrooms but there are twos and threes in the complex and children would be out of school, teenagers probably home, etc. To me, it still seems pretty bold but that is jmo.

I totally agree that if they had a trail by like cell phone and then enough reason to get a warrant for a perp's phone, etc., one would think there would be an arrest by now.

I do wonder though if for instance they have a who on their radar, so they know it is personal and the public is hopefully not in danger, if they are waiting for other return of evidence like DNA. I am still getting used to how much that varies in the US, autopsy results as well. It can be a quick turnaround or it can be months on end. I hope they are simply building a case and awaiting a few things.

There was a body here and there had to be some close contact in a one bedroom apartment with the noise. Wouldn't there almost have to be DNA? Doesn't mean he would be in the system but if they have a suspect to match...?

Just for context school was still in session when the murder occured. I believe local kids got out closer to the 20th of this month. Also the articles have listed 1pm as the time she would have arrived home and kids don't usually get home till after 3. There are 1 and 2 bedroom apartments here but I believe her building only had 1 bedroom apartments. I don't actually know where her apartment is in the complex. My apartment is close to the front entrance and we have both 1 and 2 bedroom apartments here. Good call on the DNA if they aren't in the system that won't come into play until after they have someone in custody. I feel like a lot of things are being kept quiet either A) out of respect for the family or B) so that the people here don't completely freak out. LE sets the tone and things have been extremely subdued and quiet so you would almost think this wasn't that big of a deal but it is absolutely a big deal and will only get more worrisome as time goes on without any new information.

Just for context school was still in session when the murder occured. I believe local kids got out closer to the 20th of this month. Also the articles have listed 1pm as the time she would have arrived home and kids don't usually get home till after 3. There are 1 and 2 bedroom apartments here but I believe her building only had 1 bedroom apartments. I don't actually know where her apartment is in the complex. My apartment is close to the front entrance and we have both 1 and 2 bedroom apartments here. Good call on the DNA if they aren't in the system that won't come into play until after they have someone in custody. I feel like a lot of things are being kept quiet either A) out of respect for the family or B) so that the people here don't completely freak out. LE sets the tone and things have been extremely subdued and quiet so you would almost think this wasn't that big of a deal but it is absolutely a big deal and will only get more worrisome as time goes on without any new information.
Correct about school. West Windsor - Plainsboro School District last day of school was June 21, probably half day last 3 days as most schools in NJ. High School were I work half day dismissal time is 11:35. But June 10 when this happened there would have been full days still.

And correct about it being a big deal..How does keeping things from the public (if known) make anyone feel less anxious than being informed.

Correct about school. West Windsor - Plainsboro School District last day of school was June 21, probably half day last 3 days as most schools in NJ. High School were I work half day dismissal time is 11:35. But June 10 when this happened there would have been full days still.

And correct about it being a big deal..How does keeping things from the public (if known) make anyone feel less anxious than being informed.

Outside of the loss of such a young life with so much potential the not knowing what's happening is the worst part about this. Somewhat unrelated but that's how terrorism works, you don't know when a threat may occur or what's happening so you are in a constant state of fear. Right now it could be anyone or come from anywhere. Could be a neighbor, a maintenance worker, a grounds worker, someone from the leasing office, a random stranger, a serial killer etc. The more information that can be shared the safer we'll feel.

It really has been my first case scenario too and really still is. The fact it was a Monday just after a weekend is part of my thinking. She could have been going home even excited to see this person for a few minutes or to be sure he had left if she was concerned about it. The fact she was seen but no one seemed to see anyone enter or leave her apartment plays into that somewhat.

My next scenario would be a neighbor or someone working there but even then I feel it may be someone who had some obsession with her, even if she was unaware of it. As I said a robbery upstairs is a bit risky? The only reason I could see for that is if someone knew she had something of large value worth the risk and even then, it would have to be someone that was aware of her. I do believe in the little we know, LE said nothing seemed to be missing so robbery does not fit.

Unfortunately I don't think we know anything about the night before, the weekend before, or even any relationships; very little has been shared.

Jmo.

When my 3rd floor (and top floor of the bldg) apartment was broken into, the Hoboken PD told me that it's common for robbers to go for top floor apartments so they have time to escape via fire escape if they hear people coming up the stairs. But Carolyn's building is structurally different than mine was and I don't think that theory would apply in this situation. Plus, a robber probably wouldn't have lured her back to her apartment.

I think Carolyn lived in apartment 5212. Near a pool & parking lot & off the main road.

Jmo.

I know just what you mean. It is the quietness on the case that makes me think it was not totally random. Maybe they found out something personal about her life and have tied the crime to that but for privacy concerns will not say. She sounds like she was an exemplary citizen, a truly good person and lifestyle...and I hate to make like I am implying there was some secret in her personal life.. I have no clue. I am just trying to understand why they are so quiet about this case since the beginning and still no appeal to the public to help.

I really thought it if were a neighbor or Maintenance worker/deliverer or someone from online who dropped an item off to her, they would have figured this out already from phone/email records.

The reports stated that her belongings weren’t touch therefore if the police have her cellphone wouldn’t they be able to see which apps she was using. I know on my IPhone I can see the icons for the different apps I use.

When my 3rd floor (and top floor of the bldg) apartment was broken into, the Hoboken PD told me that it's common for robbers to go for top floor apartments so they have time to escape via fire escape if they hear people coming up the stairs. But Carolyn's building is structurally different than mine was and I don't think that theory would apply in this situation. Plus, a robber probably wouldn't have lured her back to her apartment.
Hoboken yikes! My daughter lives there. I visit all the time. I know crime is everywhere. Scary though. Hope you were ok.

Hoboken yikes! My daughter lives there. I visit all the time. I know crime is everywhere. Scary though. Hope you were ok.

I love Hoboken and had an amazing time while living there, but as always, it's best to be vigilant. Break ins were rampant when I lived there a few years ago, but they don't get much news coverage. I only know from talking to LE when my apartment was robbed. Like you said, crime is everywhere unfortunately.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
momster0734