NJ - Carolyn Byington, 26, killed inside her home, Plainsboro, 10 June 2019 *Arrest*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I know just what you mean. It is the quietness on the case that makes me think it was not totally random. Maybe they found out something personal about her life and have tied the crime to that but for privacy concerns will not say. She sounds like she was an exemplary citizen, a truly good person and lifestyle...and I hate to make like I am implying there was some secret in her personal life.. I have no clue. I am just trying to understand why they are so quiet about this case since the beginning and still no appeal to the public to help.

I really thought it if were a neighbor or Maintenance worker/deliverer or someone from online who dropped an item off to her, they would have figured this out already from phone/email records.

The emails that were sent to the residents from the management company stated the police were appealing to the public for help

“Unfortunately, the police have not identified any suspects or leads in the case and are asking the public for information. If you know anything at all that the police may not have heard already, please contact Detective Tim McMahon of the Plainsboro Police Department at (609) 799-2333 ext. 1627 or Detective David Abromaitis “

Just for context school was still in session when the murder occured. I believe local kids got out closer to the 20th of this month. Also the articles have listed 1pm as the time she would have arrived home and kids don't usually get home till after 3. There are 1 and 2 bedroom apartments here but I believe her building only had 1 bedroom apartments. I don't actually know where her apartment is in the complex. My apartment is close to the front entrance and we have both 1 and 2 bedroom apartments here. Good call on the DNA if they aren't in the system that won't come into play until after they have someone in custody. I feel like a lot of things are being kept quiet either A) out of respect for the family or B) so that the people here don't completely freak out. LE sets the tone and things have been extremely subdued and quiet so you would almost think this wasn't that big of a deal but it is absolutely a big deal and will only get more worrisome as time goes on without any new information.

The local perspective and familiarity helps a lot, at least for us here, to picture it. I forget how places vary, to me school is out by June at the latest and in places with snow days to make up maybe a few days into June. I would have never imagined school was still in when this occurred.

I agree with your A & B at the end of your post, it is hard though in every case when things are silent just because one hopes it is really being looked at behind the scene, but the silence and lack of even reassuring the community can make one wonder sometimes if it is being looked into. Not just this case, but in general. Most likely they have more than one thinks but silence makes one wonder sometimes, especially the longer time goes on.

I also know that family also does not know much more than the public sometimes from LE and that has to be so very hard; if it bothers total strangers (me), it has to be a million fold that way for them.

Jmo.

I love Hoboken and had an amazing time while living there, but as always, it's best to be vigilant. Break ins were rampant when I lived there a few years ago, but they don't get much news coverage. I only know from talking to LE when my apartment was robbed. Like you said, crime is everywhere unfortunately.
I love Hoboken too. They used to live in Manhattan so much slower pace, but I will be vigilant as I always am and tell her about the upper level preferences. She lives 2nd floor in a 4 floor brownstone. Thanks.

As for Carolyn, it doesn't seem as if it involved robbery or theft since none of her stuff was taken. What can we assume that means? Her purse/wallet? Phone? Motive has not been discussed either, if anyone has figured out what it was.

I love Hoboken too. They used to live in Manhattan so much slower pace, but I will be vigilant as I always am and tell her about the upper level preferences. She lives 2nd floor in a 4 floor brownstone. Thanks.

As for Carolyn, it doesn't seem as if it involved robbery or theft since none of her stuff was taken. What can we assume that means? Her purse/wallet? Phone? Motive has not been discussed either, if anyone has figured out what it was.

I didn’t mean to alarm and as you know, Hoboken is a wonderful city. I am sure your daughter loves it there too.

I also wonder if it means LE has her phone. If they have her phone, access to emails, etc, I don’t see how they have “no leads” like the apartment complex says. That’s crazy to me in this day and age.

The local perspective and familiarity helps a lot, at least for us here, to picture it. I forget how places vary, to me school is out by June at the latest and in places with snow days to make up maybe a few days into June. I would have never imagined school was still in when this occurred.

I agree with your A & B at the end of your post, it is hard though in every case when things are silent just because one hopes it is really being looked at behind the scene, but the silence and lack of even reassuring the community can make one wonder sometimes if it is being looked into. Not just this case, but in general. Most likely they have more than one thinks but silence makes one wonder sometimes, especially the longer time goes on.

I also know that family also does not know much more than the public sometimes from LE and that has to be so very hard; if it bothers total strangers (me), it has to be a million fold that way for them.

Jmo.
NJ has always been this way. School ends some time in mid-June (depending on snow days) and starts back after Labor Day. You are right, it is different in all places though. Just over the Delaware River in PA, it can be early June and return mid-August.
Perhaps if school had been out already and more kids were home by then with their parents, there would be more witnesses that day or more people around would have deterred this murderer. Opinion only.

I didn’t mean to alarm and as you know, Hoboken is a wonderful city. I am sure your daughter loves it there too.

I also wonder if it means LE has her phone. If they have her phone, access to emails, etc, I don’t see how they have “no leads” like the apartment complex says. That’s crazy to me in this day and age.
No worries. Not alarmed, too much. Something I'd rather not think about and yet am aware of possibilities. You did tell me something I didn't think about though.

The emails that were sent to the residents from the management company stated the police were appealing to the public for help

“Unfortunately, the police have not identified any suspects or leads in the case and are asking the public for information. If you know anything at all that the police may not have heard already, please contact Detective Tim McMahon of the Plainsboro Police Department at (609) 799-2333 ext. 1627 or Detective David Abromaitis “

I truly hope that is a put-on that they have no suspects or leads (scary) and could just use additional tips to help build a better case. I do not see how they could have no leads or suspects but that is jmo.

This afternoon there was a biohazard truck parked in front of Carolyn’s building. This probably means there was blood involved and the investigation at the scene was completed.

Last edited:

Not much detail and would have to look back but it seems to me her purse and everything was there? Nothing missing I thought they said in the little bit released?

Not much detail and would have to look back but it seems to me her purse and everything was there? Nothing missing I thought they said in the little bit released?
Said her personal belongings were there at the scene but didn't elaborate. Assume purse, phone. Car keys. Her car was still there right? Never mentioned.

Thanks, MissyMom for clearing that up. I'm glad they have asked the public for help. I guess I missed that. I am not in Jersey but NYC - same news stations and never heard anything about this crime on the news but first saw it on NY Post one day.
I remember you posted that but I must have skimmed over that part-- my and my speed reading! I remember reading the letter you posted and thinking - wow- LE really sounds like they are at a loss.

I assume they have looked at her co-workers closely. The colleague(s) she told that she had to go home.

Hello. I have been following this disturbing murder. I lived at Hunters Glen from 2004-2009. One night shortly after I moved in, I was in bed watching TV and heard footsteps moving closer to my window (I was on the first floor and it was cold so the grass was crunchy). I saw a silhouette through the blinds trying to look through my window. I jumped up and called 911. No one was found and nothing more came if it. During my time there, I had frequent contact with maintenance due to 3 issues with water leaking into my apartment. I never felt threatened or concerned until .... my bedroom closet came off the track, it didn’t bother me and I never placed a maintenance request to fix. I came home one day and my closet was repaired, I thought that was strange and called the office and asked if anyone was in my apartment. They said “no” we have no record that anyone from maintenance entered. This never sat well with me and I left as soon as my lease was up.

Hello. I have been following this disturbing murder. I lived at Hunters Glen from 2004-2009. One night shortly after I moved in, I was in bed watching TV and heard footsteps moving closer to my window (I was on the first floor and it was cold so the grass was crunchy). I saw a silhouette through the blinds trying to look through my window. I jumped up and called 911. No one was found and nothing more came if it. During my time there, I had frequent contact with maintenance due to 3 issues with water leaking into my apartment. I never felt threatened or concerned until .... my bedroom closet came off the track, it didn’t bother me and I never placed a maintenance request to fix. I came home one day and my closet was repaired, I thought that was strange and called the office and asked if anyone was in my apartment. They said “no” we have no record that anyone from maintenance entered. This never sat well with me and I left as soon as my lease was up.
Welcome to Websleuths @Mill1013 and thanks for your input. Both very scary, by the way. Was anything missing from your closet or your apartment?

Welcome to Websleuths @Mill1013 and thanks for your input. Both very scary, by the way. Was anything missing from your closet or your apartment?
Nothing was missing. Another weird piece to this was that after I left Hunters Glen, I moved into a neighboring complex. One day shortly after I moved in, I was leaving for work and saw a key on the hood of my car. It looked like an apartment key. I know it sounds crazy but I always thought that it was weird. Maybe someone was leaving my old apartment key? This was 10 years ago....but I still think someone was letting me know they had my key. I don’t know?

Nothing was missing. Another weird piece to this was that after I left Hunters Glen, I moved into a neighboring complex. One day shortly after I moved in, I was leaving for work and saw a key on the hood of my car. It looked like an apartment key. I know it sounds crazy but I always thought that it was weird. Maybe someone was leaving my old apartment key? This was 10 years ago....but I still think someone was letting me know they had my key. I don’t know?
That is really creepy. Hopefully you are done with all that.

Do you feel like someone was in your apartment when you lived in HG? Nothing missing so possible someone came in to snoop? And to repair your closet? (Weird) Unless they had been there before and had broken your closet. Any creepiness from maintenance when your leaks were being repaired? There is a bunch of time between your incident and what happened to Carolyn, so likely no connection other than to show that the apartments can be vulnerable.

Said her personal belongings were there at the scene but didn't elaborate. Assume purse, phone. Car keys. Her car was still there right? Never mentioned.

I assume so. The only blanket statement sounded like nothing was missing from purse to phone to car keys to items in the home?

That is really creepy. Hopefully you are done with all that.

Do you feel like someone was in your apartment when you lived in HG? Nothing missing so possible someone came in to snoop? And to repair your closet? (Weird) Unless they had been there before and had broken your closet. Any creepiness from maintenance when your leaks were being repaired? There is a bunch of time between your incident and what happened to Carolyn, so likely no connection other than to show that the apartments can be vulnerable.
I don’t think any connection to Carolyn’s murder; yes, you are vulnerable in an apartment. BTW I was not creeped out with maintenance; however, after the closet repair, could not shake the uneasy feeling after the closet repair.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ava l