NJ - Carolyn Byington, 26, killed inside her home, Plainsboro, 10 June 2019 *Arrest*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
An affidavit claims the accountant took a long lunch, saying he was having work done on his vehicle, though a supervisor "later learned that he was lying." Employees noticed cuts on Saal's hands, per the affidavit, which claims DNA under Byington's fingernails tied her coworker to the crime. There's also this key line: "Unprompted, Saal asked one coworker if he could [be] arrested based on circumstantial evidence alone." Sources previously told NJ.com that Byington was attacked by a killer lying in wait soon after entering her apartment, which she didn't usually visit for lunch. Saal's car was seen in Plainsboro on the day of the murder, though the 30-year-old married father couldn't explain his whereabouts in a June 19 police interview, the affidavit reads.
2 Coworkers Left on Lunch Break. Only 1 Returned

Did he wear gloves? Fingerprint evidence would be valuable, too. On the doorknobs, furniture, doorbell?

And that one word which has already been discussed:
MOTIVE​
Did she or someone else file an expense report and never received reimbursement? What made them start looking at him? Someone already mentioned her filing a complaint against him to the Personnel/Employee Dept., etc. Had there been others against him?
Motive is not required for a conviction, but jurors want to know(and so do we!) -- it can be very strong evidence in a crime and adds to the strength of a jury conviction.
Why? Why her?
Where was it mentioned that she filed a complaint against him to the personnel department at work??

Perhaps her going home for lunch was completely random, something she forgot or needed to take care of during the middle of the day. He could have overheard her saying she needed to go home at lunch. He then could have left before she did and arrived in the parking to wait for her, following her inside. These implies he was waiting for an opportunity to confront her (kill her even?). IMO

Again from @MissyMom 's link above:

"The investigation determined Saal, a co-worker at Princeton marketing firm Engine Group, killed Carolyn Byington, 26, of Plainsboro, back on June 10 when she went home for lunch. The suspect allegedly was waiting for her outside her Hunter Glen apartment."

Last edited:
Lol glad you’re back with us!

So happy to see this creep has been arrested.
You'd think the neighbors (since they saw her come home for lunch and then heard the noises) would at least be curious enough to watch for her to leave or for someone else to be there with her.
Some of them may have already gone back to work or perhaps assumed she was sick and staying at home. I wonder if anyone saw Saal waiting or coming or going.

Some of them may have already gone back to work or perhaps assumed she was sick and staying at home. I wonder if anyone saw Saal waiting or coming or going.

Why would they assume their normally very quiet neighbor would be screaming from sickness? And also moving furniture while so sick? IMO it was a matter of the neighbors not wanting to get involved and/or not wanting to call the cops in case it was nothing.

My thoughts exactly. It really saddens me what is happening in our world. I keep thinking what if neighbors helped her right away when they heard screams.

I keep thinking this sick creep told her she had to go home for an emergency or something with her apartment and he surprised her there. I have no idea and am probably wrong but I'm thinking she caught him doing something and he knew, but she didn't know that he knew. Breaking into co-workers cars at his last job? So many traffic tickets. He might have had a drug problem he was trying to fund. Could be anything..I have no idea. All just sickening.

I saw in a news article that he only had one traffic ticket. He had multiple? And was breaking into cars? Why? And why did no one call the police?

I’m hoping you can see this and read some of the comments. People who previously worked with him are commenting. NJ.com

“ken couldn’t charm a toddler with a bag of candy. While quiet and possessing some good qualities and solid skills for a staff accountant, he was a liar and tried to be manipulative. He played this role as quiet and unassuming but he had a dark side. He vandalized peoples cars in the MPC parking lot. We gave him multiple chances but in the end he lied again and was his own undoing. Prayers up for his wife, child and this young woman’s family. I hope he finally gets the professional help he needs.”

Finally get the professional help he needs? He's going to prison for life!

Also, why didn't anyone call the cops on this loser?

I hate that no one called 911.

I live alone in an apartment and hope all the time someone would call if they heard weird sounds from my apartment or come check at least. My neighbors know I live alone and I can hear them fairly clearly.

I had a young woman next door for a while and her mom came to my door one night and asked me to call 911 if I ever heard anything I was unsure of coming from her apartment.

But I guess people don’t think “danger” in the middle of the day. :(

Here is the link to see his multiple traffic violations. Just search by name and then enter Kenneth C Saal and then enter search. Click on the ticket you want to view and then click on view details. Municipal Court Case Search

I saw in a news article that he only had one traffic ticket. He had multiple? And was breaking into cars? Why? And why did no one call the police?

I counted 20 separate traffic incidents (not multiple charges in the same stop) and one murder charge. Seems just a bit excessive, even without that pesky murder.

Here you go -- I mean none of them on its own is outrageous or would predict a future murderer, but who the heck even gets pulled over that many times??

6/19/19 - SPEEDING (.09 INDICATES EXCEEDING BY 1-9 MPH)
6/10/19 - MURDER - PURPOSELY
10/8/17 - FAILURE TO WEARSEAT EQUIPMENT-RESPONSIBILITY OF DRIVER
11/2/15 - DELAYING TRAFFIC
8/9/14 - DRIV WITH AN EXPIRED LICENSE (this was listed twice)
5/24/14 - FAILURE TO OBSERVE TRAFFIC CONTROL DEVICE (CAMERA)
3/7/14 - FAILURE TO POSSESS DL OR REG
1/27/14 - DRIVING OR PARKING UNREGISTERED MOTOR VEHICLE
12/17/13 - TURN PROHIBITIONS
9/8/13 - CARELESS DRIVING: LIKELY TO ENDANGER PERSON OR PROPERTY
7/5/13 - OBSTRUCTING PASSAGE OF OTHER VEHICLES
6/29/13 - FAILURE TO POSSESS DL OR REG
10/17/12 - DELAYING TRAFFIC
4/27/12 - OBSTRUCTION OF WINDSHIELD FOR VISION
4/23/12 - FAIL TO POSS DRIV INS CARD
1/29/12 - CARELESS DRIVING: LIKELY TO ENDANGER PERSON OR PROPERTY
11/11/10 - TPK-SPEEDING (.09 INDICATES EXCEEDING BY 1-9 MPH)
9/1/10 - CARELESS DRIVING: LIKELY TO ENDANGER PERSON OR PROPERTY
6/5/10 - DELAYING TRAFFIC
5/24/10 - FAILURE TO WEARSEAT EQUIPMENT-RESPONSIBILITY OF DRIVER

I hate that no one called 911.

I live alone in an apartment and hope all the time someone would call if they heard weird sounds from my apartment or come check at least. My neighbors know I live alone and I can hear them fairly clearly.

I had a young woman next door for a while and her mom came to my door one night and asked me to call 911 if I ever heard anything I was unsure of coming from her apartment.

But I guess people don’t think “danger” in the middle of the day. :(

If someone asks you that that's concerning. If your neighbor seems like they are in an abusive relationship calling 911 over screams is realistic. Some people don't want to be the neighbor that calls the cops when someone is talking loud or having an argument with significant other, or they think they heard a scream but aren't sure, because they might involve police over nothing. If it is domestic they could become a target too.
Day time gives you a sense of security. It's actually the time when you have less neighbors around. Even being in an apt complex and close to people makes you think you might be safer than you are.

Kenneth Saal hired attorney before being suspected in Carolyn Byington’s murder

<snip> The New Jersey accountant charged in the fatal knifing of his co-worker hired an attorney days after the murder to find out more about the investigation, raising initial red flags to authorities, law enforcement sources told The Post Friday.

Before 30-year-old Kenneth Saal was even considered a suspect in the June 10 slaying of Carolyn Byington, 26, he retained the attorney, sources said.

NJ - Carolyn Byington, 26, killed inside her home, Plainsboro, 10 June 2019 *Arrest*

Here you go -- I mean none of them on its own is outrageous or would predict a future murderer, but who the heck even gets pulled over that many times??

6/19/19 - SPEEDING (.09 INDICATES EXCEEDING BY 1-9 MPH)
6/10/19 - MURDER - PURPOSELY
10/8/17 - FAILURE TO WEARSEAT EQUIPMENT-RESPONSIBILITY OF DRIVER
11/2/15 - DELAYING TRAFFIC
8/9/14 - DRIV WITH AN EXPIRED LICENSE (this was listed twice)
5/24/14 - FAILURE TO OBSERVE TRAFFIC CONTROL DEVICE (CAMERA)
3/7/14 - FAILURE TO POSSESS DL OR REG
1/27/14 - DRIVING OR PARKING UNREGISTERED MOTOR VEHICLE
12/17/13 - TURN PROHIBITIONS
9/8/13 - CARELESS DRIVING: LIKELY TO ENDANGER PERSON OR PROPERTY
7/5/13 - OBSTRUCTING PASSAGE OF OTHER VEHICLES
6/29/13 - FAILURE TO POSSESS DL OR REG
10/17/12 - DELAYING TRAFFIC
4/27/12 - OBSTRUCTION OF WINDSHIELD FOR VISION
4/23/12 - FAIL TO POSS DRIV INS CARD
1/29/12 - CARELESS DRIVING: LIKELY TO ENDANGER PERSON OR PROPERTY
11/11/10 - TPK-SPEEDING (.09 INDICATES EXCEEDING BY 1-9 MPH)
9/1/10 - CARELESS DRIVING: LIKELY TO ENDANGER PERSON OR PROPERTY
6/5/10 - DELAYING TRAFFIC
5/24/10 - FAILURE TO WEARSEAT EQUIPMENT-RESPONSIBILITY OF DRIVER

Do any of those charges point to past stalking? Is Delaying traffic something that happens because you are driving slowly or parked in the street while you look in windows or is it if your car breaks down on the high way?

If someone asks you that that's concerning. If your neighbor seems like they are in an abusive relationship calling 911 over screams is realistic. Some people don't want to be the neighbor that calls the cops when someone is talking loud or having an argument with significant other, or they think they heard a scream but aren't sure, because they might involve police over nothing. If it is domestic they could become a target too.
Day time gives you a sense of security. It's actually the time when you have less neighbors around. Even being in an apt complex and close to people makes you think you might be safer than you are.

Hearing muffled screams and moving furniture coming from the apartment of a quiet female that lives alone is different than hearing an argument though. I am not blaming the neighbors for not calling, I get it. It's just sad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mel18