NJ - Carolyn Byington, 26, killed inside her home, Plainsboro, 10 June 2019 *Arrest*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Plainsboro homicide: Leads still sought in Carolyn Byington's death

New article I found today. It gives an update and interview with the main detective and according to this they are stumped.

“Middlesex County Prosecutor Andrew Carey said during a recent interview that the case has been "frustrating,” and he'd like to see it come to a conclusion.

Carey, who responded to the scene the night of the homicide, had initially expected the case to be solved within a few days.

"We have chased down many, many leads. We've taken DNA samples. We're working with technology in the tried-and-true ways and in unique ways, and we're going back to look at what we knew from the beginning," Carey said.

"It's been about two months. We've gone back and pieced it together as far as the time as best as possible, but there are things that don't make a lot of sense," added Carey, who asked that anyone who knows anything to come forward.“

New article I found today. It gives an update and interview with the main detective and according to this they are stumped.

“Middlesex County Prosecutor Andrew Carey said during a recent interview that the case has been "frustrating,” and he'd like to see it come to a conclusion.

Carey, who responded to the scene the night of the homicide, had initially expected the case to be solved within a few days.

"We have chased down many, many leads. We've taken DNA samples. We're working with technology in the tried-and-true ways and in unique ways, and we're going back to look at what we knew from the beginning," Carey said.

"It's been about two months. We've gone back and pieced it together as far as the time as best as possible, but there are things that don't make a lot of sense," added Carey, who asked that anyone who knows anything to come forward.“

Ugh. It sounds like they are starting back at square one. From the article:

“Carey said the detective working on the case was out at the crime scene recently to make sure nothing had been missed.”

What could they expect to find that would have been missed after all this time?

This case is terrifying to me.

This is very disturbing! When I called the detective last month about the Range Rover I got the feeling then they were not close to solving who killed Carolyn.

If they are still asking for clues, how could they positively say this wasn’t random as the Plainsboro police told DAB the other night at National Night Out.

Ugh!!

This is very disturbing! When I called the detective last month about the Range Rover I got the feeling then they were not close to solving who killed Carolyn.

If they are still asking for clues, how could they positively say this wasn’t random as the Plainsboro police told DAB the other night at National Night Out.

Ugh!!

Yes, I was so surprised when I saw this article today. It seems as if the police are missing lots of opportunities to get word out in the community where perhaps they might get information. I think their inexperience in handling this type of case is showing. If at this point none of the suspects have panned out then I'm not feeling confident they will solve this soon.

Also, Andrew Carey is taking a new position in September as Assistant US Attorney in Camden.

This was exactly my thought and my heart is no longer sinking for Carolyn it is racing with fear for my daughter and other young woman. Why is LE not doing more to caution and protect the residents at Hunters Glen and the surrounding community?

I am so sorry and surprised to have read this latest news article. It isn't at all what I was expecting and hoping to hear after what LE told a resident at the meeting. That officer made it sound like an arrest was going to be announced. They do sound stumped.. like they are going back to the beginning. Saying, "A lot of things just don't make sense", makes me think they are really struggling with solving this case. A cop said he thought it would be solved the first few days, and now it is over 2 months later? I wonder if a local could ask LE are they certain this murder was not random. I also question the above post and think LE should be doing more to caution, protect and should be questioning residents.

Yes, I was so surprised when I saw this article today. It seems as if the police are missing lots of opportunities to get word out in the community where perhaps they might get information. I think their inexperience in handling this type of case is showing. If at this point none of the suspects have panned out then I'm not feeling confident they will solve this soon.
bbm
Same here -- At first, I thought we were in for a long haul; then it looked as though they might have something that would pop at any moment; but now I'm thinking it will be quite a bit more time before we see anything encouraging.
Investigators often go back to the beginning, looking for things they may not have noticed the first time. New or refreshed pairs of eyes on it. Maybe they'll get a break this time.
Fingers still crossed.

This is far from encouraging and it gives the wide general public not one hint of random or targeted. I would be quite upset by now if a citizen and particularly a resident of the complex. I would be particularly upset if I were her family.

The overall feeling it leaves me with is they do not have a clue.

It leaves me with a feeling of hopelessness, this article. I guess my hope now can only be that they are very good at playing clueless and are actually onto someone. I am having a hard time believing that though.

Jmo.

This was my fear all along and it is unfortunately in line with all of the other statements that LE have publicly made. It is terrifying to think that LE who have a huge advantage in knowledge and resources to the majority of us and they are coming to the same conclusions we are. We all thought this would be solved quickly and continue to be amazed that it is not. I'm no expert but I feel like an average person would leave enough evidence to be caught but it seems like whoever did this covered their tracks enough to stump seasoned LE for 2 months now. I also wonder what they were looking for when they came back to the scene. @MissyMom said she saw the father packing up Carolyn's belongings in her car which would make you assume the apartment has been cleared. I know from my time as a juror on a murder case that they keep any clothing or items of interest in evidence and take pictures of the crime scene to refer to. It's also stated they have DNA as well as I would assume phone and social media records. Yet with all that they are finding inconsistencies and are stumped.

This article is in direct contrast to what the police officers told @DAB . I don't know if I'm ready to go as far as to say the local LE were lying to keep the peace at a community event but this is similar to when your friends ask you how long till you get to their house and you say you're right around the corner when you haven't even taken a shower yet.

Both could be correct - LE may have reason to believe that Carolyn was specifically targeted and the community is not at risk, maybe from the digital trail, while not finding who that perpetrator is. Such a perplexing case.

That's a very fair point and that is probably exactly why they could confidently say that. The other issue is that they also said that they had several suspects and gave the impression that things were wrapping up and that there would be a public announcement soon. And the only public statement we have is the article which states that they don't have any leads and are stumped and frustrated.

This was my fear all along and it is unfortunately in line with all of the other statements that LE have publicly made. It is terrifying to think that LE who have a huge advantage in knowledge and resources to the majority of us and they are coming to the same conclusions we are. We all thought this would be solved quickly and continue to be amazed that it is not. I'm no expert but I feel like an average person would leave enough evidence to be caught but it seems like whoever did this covered their tracks enough to stump seasoned LE for 2 months now. I also wonder what they were looking for when they came back to the scene. @MissyMom said she saw the father packing up Carolyn's belongings in her car which would make you assume the apartment has been cleared. I know from my time as a juror on a murder case that they keep any clothing or items of interest in evidence and take pictures of the crime scene to refer to. It's also stated they have DNA as well as I would assume phone and social media records. Yet with all that they are finding inconsistencies and are stumped.

This article is in direct contrast to what the police officers told @DAB . I don't know if I'm ready to go as far as to say the local LE were lying to keep the peace at a community event but this is similar to when your friends ask you how long till you get to their house and you say you're right around the corner when you haven't even taken a shower yet.

When I heard there had been suspects & would be a communication shortly I made the assumption that they were close to solving the murder. I guess it was wishful thinking, I never thought they would be back to square 1. I made a call to the police with a recommendation & am hoping someone returns my message.

Middlesex County Prosecutor Andrew Carey said during a recent interview that the case has been "frustrating,” and he'd like to see it come to a conclusion.

"It's been about two months. We've gone back and pieced it together as far as the time as best as possible, but there are things that don't make a lot of sense," added Carey, who asked that anyone who knows anything to come forward.

He said Plainsboro detectives have been working very hard on the case.

"I'm sure we will get there," he said.

Carey described Byington as a "fairly quiet individual" who was just going about her life.

[...]

Carey said the detective working on the case was out at the crime scene recently to make sure nothing had been missed.

"For the available technology that we have it's been a little frustrating. We also have our DNA person at the Union County lab who is continuing to examine articles. It takes a lot of time," he said.

Carey said the apartment complex, which other media outlets have identified as Hunter's Glen, does not have a lot of cameras.

Keying in on Carey's statements bbm, he initially expected case solved in a few days. What would give him that impression? Large amounts of DNA present? Known person of interest with motive?

Prosecutor Carey makes numerous references to working with and/or available "technology," DNA, and things taking a lot of time.

What sticks out to me is his reference to Jennifer just going about her [predictible] life, and investigators pieced together the time but things not making sense.

Seems to me the timeline is not adding up for investigators, and now they need information from the public.

I also think there may be issues with the DNA collected, and tests requiring more time were deemed necessary.

Appears to me things had to happen either earlier or later than witness accounts, and no camera surveillance to back them up.

I think investigators are confident about their suspect, but timeline is not adding up for investigators.

MOO

Not only did her Father pack up her car approximately a week later, but don’t forget, a biohazard company was there cleaning up her apartment several weeks ago.

Middlesex County Prosecutor Andrew Carey said during a recent interview that the case has been "frustrating,” and he'd like to see it come to a conclusion.

"It's been about two months. We've gone back and pieced it together as far as the time as best as possible, but there are things that don't make a lot of sense," added Carey, who asked that anyone who knows anything to come forward.

He said Plainsboro detectives have been working very hard on the case.

"I'm sure we will get there," he said.

Carey described Byington as a "fairly quiet individual" who was just going about her life.

[...]

Carey said the detective working on the case was out at the crime scene recently to make sure nothing had been missed.

"For the available technology that we have it's been a little frustrating. We also have our DNA person at the Union County lab who is continuing to examine articles. It takes a lot of time," he said.

Carey said the apartment complex, which other media outlets have identified as Hunter's Glen, does not have a lot of cameras.

Keying in on Carey's statements bbm, he initially expected case solved in a few days. What would give him that impression? Large amounts of DNA present? Known person of interest with motive?

Prosecutor Carey makes numerous references to working with and/or available "technology," DNA, and things taking a lot of time.

What sticks out to me is his reference to Jennifer just going about her [predictible] life, and investigators pieced together the time but things not making sense.

Seems to me the timeline is not adding up for investigators, and now they need information from the public.

I also think there may be issues with the DNA collected, and tests requiring more time were deemed necessary.

Appears to me things had to happen either earlier or later than witness accounts, and no camera surveillance to back them up.

I think investigators are confident about their suspect, but timeline is not adding up for investigators.

MOO
Thanks for the great post, @Seattle1.
Now we have an idea of where it all is at the moment. It does sound like they have been busy. I wounder if any of the Hunter's Glen residents have called or emailed, etc., the Middlesex County Sheriff's Office about the progress of this case. They certainly have a right to do so.
I'm sure it has changed some of the routines and habits of the residents, for now, at least. I know I would be more watchful, keeping my blinds or curtains drawn more often, keeping a hammer, etc., by my bed, etc., maybe adding a chain lock on my door -- or having the H.G. staff do it. Maybe at least the H.G. management is considering more cameras, and locking the barn doors now that the horse is gone.

I've been re-reading some of your posts and trying to calm my personal concerns that there is a murderer on the loose preying on young women in Plainsboro, NJ.
There is so little to go on in this case but understanding the little we know, and understanding what I know about my daughters who are similar in age, education and personality type... Carolyn kept to herself and it seems unlikely she would engage with and especially trust strangers. I also believe that LE probably has enough information to believe that they are dealing with a murder that was personal and they are looking at her circle of friends and family. The fact that she was quiet and kept to herself leads me to believe that circle is a small one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marisa_breanna97