NJ - Carolyn Byington, 26, killed inside her home, Plainsboro, 10 June 2019 *Arrest*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I hate to say this, but I have to wonder if the lack of communication to the public is because they don’t want to ruin the reputation of Plainsboro being a safe, family friendly township. And that goes the same for the apartment complex as well.
I've certainly seen it before -- a city in NC, pop. 168,000 (yes, the 3 zero's are correct) still want the image of the town it once was, about 45 years ago. They have very good LE, and are very professional, but they do try to downplay crime in their city.
It's possible and understandable, but like the city above, the complex does need to beef-up safety (cameras, lots of lighting, etc.) in the parking lots (they can be very dangerous, especially at night), and they need more of the same throughout the complex.
If I were looking for a nice apt. or condo, etc., especially if I were single adult (with or without a child), safety would be a top priority for me. Gated places are good, but they're not the end-all, be-all that many people may think, but that would be another big plus.

I made another call to MCPO and this time someone picked up the phone. I described what I wanted to do (reward money, & community posters) & was told that it is not needed at this time. They have not exhausted all avenues, the investigation is ongoing. When they reach the point where they can go no further MCPO and/or the police will take this on.
This leads me to believe that even if they have a suspect in mind, they don't have the evidence to make an arrest. Otherwise, it could be they still have leads to follow on potential suspects or to even come up with a suspect. IMO

I made another call to MCPO and this time someone picked up the phone. I described what I wanted to do (reward money, & community posters) & was told that it is not needed at this time. They have not exhausted all avenues, the investigation is ongoing. When they reach the point where they can go no further MCPO and/or the police will take this on.
DAB, you are awesome for reaching out to LE and being such a good citizen to try to get Justice for Carolyn. Their response makes no sense... since when is reward money and help from the community not needed in an unsolved murder case that touches the hearts of so many. We see countless news stories where family and friends solicit help from the community to solve a crime against a loved one. The silence from family, friends and co-workers has me bewildered.

Maybe she forgot to lock her apartment when she left. Someone got in and when she came home for lunch she walked in on them? Or, someone in the maintenance department at her apartment complex who has access?

While it is quite possible she did forget to lock her door, what is the probability the unsub tried random doors and found this one to be unlocked and entered? This case seems like someone she was connected with if the neighbors heard arguing. I have a hard time coming to terms with an unsub and a victim arguing before the attack taking place unless she knew this person. If I were the attacker, I would want to make as little as noise possible. Unless the attacker did not have a motive to kill, and an argument incited rage within the unsub, and then became a moment of opportunity. It makes me feel like the victim was being watched, moreover a random unlocked door. Just my opinion. I do not discredit what you say at all.

While it is quite possible she did forget to lock her door, what is the probability the unsub tried random doors and found this one to be unlocked and entered?
(rsbm)

Don’t forget she was said to have been “lured home”, and it wasn’t usual for her to go home for lunch. Maybe an apartment maintenance issue? “I’m sorry but it’s quite urgent, and it will only take a moment”-type of thing?

I honestly hope LE is really close to an arrest and that’s why they’ve been putting @DAB off, regardless of what they say.

My hesitation with this being a targeted attack, is how did the perpetrator know she was coming home for lunch/package/whatever on that day and at that time? Apparently she didn't come home at lunchtime as a rule, so did this person just get lucky, or did s/he call her at work about this package? How did s/he know she was getting a package unless she was notified? IMO, s/he couldn't have sent her a very reliable-looking package-delivered email. Did s/he see the pkg. one day and hide it and call her at work the next day, perhaps saying she needed to sign for it or some other ruse? Was her door unlocked and s/he was just plain lucky? Did s/he consistently or never lock her apt doors? Did she leave a key under a mat or in a plant container? Was s/he just hiding in the shrubbery for days, waiting for her to come home at lunch? Did s/he see her leaving work and follow her home? Did s/he work there, see her, and decide to take advantage of the opportunity?

I see/saw back & forth on "planned" vs "opportunity" every time I am on this thread. :confused:

Last edited:
I can't remember at the moment -- what was the exact quote or MSM article describing her being "lured home"?

This article Killer was waiting at apartment for 26-year-old woman murdered on her lunch break, sources say says she was “drawn (home) for some reason” which I accept isn’t exactly “lured”, but I do remember seeing that specific word used previously.

@borndem, given that she wasn’t accustomed to going home for lunch, it would be an awful coincidence to have an opportunistic attack. I think it had to be a trigger that would make her go to the effort of going home, such as a parcel being delivered, tradesman coming for repairs, etc. I’m guessing there was nothing noted in her diary/appointment book, which suggests she had a phone call on the day rather than a pre-arranged meeting.

This article Killer was waiting at apartment for 26-year-old woman murdered on her lunch break, sources say says she was “drawn (home) for some reason” which I accept isn’t exactly “lured”, but I do remember seeing that specific word used previously.

@borndem, given that she wasn’t accustomed to going home for lunch, it would be an awful coincidence to have an opportunistic attack. I think it had to be a trigger that would make her go to the effort of going home, such as a parcel being delivered, tradesman coming for repairs, etc. I’m guessing there was nothing noted in her diary/appointment book, which suggests she had a phone call on the day rather than a pre-arranged meeting.

RBBM - I wasn't trying to imply that you were making something up or implying she was lured when that wasn't the case. I just couldn't remember the actual wording/phrases that were used. Thank you for the link.

My hesitation with this being a targeted attack, is how did the perpetrator know she was coming home for lunch/package/whatever on that day and at that time? Apparently she didn't come home at lunchtime as a rule, so did this person just get lucky, or did s/he call her at work about this package? How did s/he know she was getting a package unless she was notified? IMO, s/he couldn't have sent her a very reliable-looking package-delivered email. Did s/he see the pkg. one day and hide it and call her at work the next day, perhaps saying she needed to sign for it or some other ruse? Was her door unlocked and s/he was just plain lucky? Did s/he consistently or never lock her apt doors? Did she leave a key under a mat or in a plant container? Was s/he just hiding in the shrubbery for days, waiting for her to come home at lunch? Did s/he see her leaving work and follow her home? Did s/he work there, see her, and decide to take advantage of the opportunity?

I see/saw back & forth on "planned" vs "opportunity" every time I am on this thread. :confused:

I go back and forth too although I stick to the thought this was someone she knew, or at least would recognize to report him or was from the complex, etc. Maybe an ex otherwise. I can't see it as entirely random as she was upstairs and in the back at the complex, it was lunchtime and she did not typically go home, etc. I could believe it was a stalker she was unaware of however but again it sounds like they think she was drawn home somehow.

I am kind of stuck on the timeline remark now, maybe because we have so little new ever on this case. I wonder, for instance, if they can't make it work because perhaps the time she left from work for lunch does not match when a neighbor says she came home for lunch or they heard noises in her apartment. Perhaps she did not go straight home? I don't know, just thoughts.

There is so much misreporting in every case it irritates me but if we can believe the one report that the perp was already in her apartment and drew her home, did they have a key?? Any sign of break-in--not that we have heard of I don't think.

I don't see her, as a single young woman not routinely locking her doors, in a huge apartment complex where it is said she kept to herself. I can see her taking a minute or two before she does lock it after she walks in at lunch time possibly while dropping shopping bags, her purse or lunch on the counter, etc.

Frustrating for sure. Also jmo.

I'm with all of you that I go back and forth as to whether this was planned or random/opportunistic. It seems to me that the words "drawn home for some reason" cover both the fact that she did not, as a rule, go home for lunch, so something "drew" her home but that LE doesn't necessarily know what that reason was. It could be related or unrelated to her murder.

If, on the other hand, there was an email, electronic record, or phone call on record that did "draw her home" - i.e., "Dear Carolyn, urgent issue, please report home", that would seem an obvious lead, if not outright trail right back to a perpetrator. So one would think if this existed they would have talked to any delivery, maintenance, dates both casual and not, or anyone who contacted Carolyn with a message to come home. Either they did and they can't prove anything, or they checked and there is no communications that elucidate what that something that drew her home might be. A nap? Not feeling well? Only she knows if LE at this point does not. In which case that goes back to terribly opportunistic crime.

It would be good to know, though we are unlikely too, whether there have been any peeping Tom, lurking, or outright sexual harassment/molestation at these apartment. Hopefully by now residents have reported any such incidents in light of what happened.

@DAB , thank you for your efforts. I don’t find the answer they gave you encouraging.

I’ve wondered if it could have been someone she worked with or someone at her office building who saw her leave and followed her home. Just a thought.

I would think by now LE would have all of her phone records if she was lured home and received a call that she was needed at her apartment for something. (Cell phone and work phone.)

Also, in regard to her keeping her door locked, I’d like to think of myself as intelligent and yet I have been guilty of leaving my door unlocked when I walked my dog. The residents here have had a sense of false security at Hunters Glen.

One additional note, I don’t believe her neighbors said they heard arguing, they said they heard faint screams and furniture moving.

Last edited:
I'm with all of you that I go back and forth as to whether this was planned or random/opportunistic. It seems to me that the words "drawn home for some reason" cover both the fact that she did not, as a rule, go home for lunch, so something "drew" her home but that LE doesn't necessarily know what that reason was. It could be related or unrelated to her murder.

If, on the other hand, there was an email, electronic record, or phone call on record that did "draw her home" - i.e., "Dear Carolyn, urgent issue, please report home", that would seem an obvious lead, if not outright trail right back to a perpetrator. So one would think if this existed they would have talked to any delivery, maintenance, dates both casual and not, or anyone who contacted Carolyn with a message to come home. Either they did and they can't prove anything, or they checked and there is no communications that elucidate what that something that drew her home might be. A nap? Not feeling well? Only she knows if LE at this point does not. In which case that goes back to terribly opportunistic crime.

It would be good to know, though we are unlikely too, whether there have been any peeping Tom, lurking, or outright sexual harassment/molestation at these apartment. Hopefully by now residents have reported any such incidents in light of what happened.

The night of the murder, County Attorney Carey also responded to the scene of the homicide and was recently quoted saying he initially expected the case to be solved within a few days.

I believe LE know exactly how and why Carolyn was drawn home to her apartment around lunchtime. They have a suspect who's likely under surveillance while LE firm up their charges against the perp.

MOO

I’ve wondered if it could have been someone she worked with or someone at her office building who saw her leave and followed her home. Just a thought.

I would think by now LE would have all of her phone records if she was lured home and received a call that she was needed at her apartment for something. (Cell phone and work phone.)

Also, in regard to her keeping her door locked, I’d like to think of myself as intelligent and yet I have been guilty of leaving my door unlocked when I walked my dog. The residents here have had a sense of false security at Hunters Glen.

One additional note, I don’t believe her neighbors said they heard arguing, they said they heard faint screams and furniture moving.

I very much like this idea that somebody from work the suspect.

CB was described as having a quiet, routine life where I assume most of her hours were spent at work. Perhaps somebody at work was also suspicious about a worker that also left that afternoon, and why they called for a welfare check. Ex-boyfriend or wanna-be boyfriend that CB brushed off?

MOO

RBBM - I wasn't trying to imply that you were making something up or implying she was lured when that wasn't the case. I just couldn't remember the actual wording/phrases that were used. Thank you for the link.
Jmo, the press may have used “lured” as it is a much more provacative word than “drawn”...

June 21 - The Rockland Post:
Ms. Byington was lured back to her home in Plainsboro, NJ near the Rutgers Campus for presently undisclosed reasons.
The Rockland Post

NJ.com often uses "lured" in it's reports -- saw it recently in following murder.
N.J. man, 20, beaten unconscious after teen girl lured him to apartment complex laundry room, cops say

Or someone she talked to or hung out with over that weekend and they made a verbal date to meet for lunch at her apartment the next day. Maybe even a person from the charities she worked who had something to drop off. Be interesting to know where she was and who she was with Saturday and/or Sunday.

I'm reaching, but trying my best to figure a way someone could have persuaded her to come home at lunchtime and there be no digital trace of it. JMO

Or someone she talked to or hung out with over that weekend and they made a verbal date to meet for lunch at her apartment the next day. Maybe even a person from the charities she worked who had something to drop off. Be interesting to know where she was and who she was with Saturday and/or Sunday.

I'm reaching, but trying my best to figure a way someone could have persuaded her to come home at lunchtime and there be no digital trace of it. JMO

My 23 year old coworker barely texts unless it’s with family or me and my boss, and said he really just uses Snapchat instead. Maybe the communication was thru snap?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MarthaMaude