GUILTY NJ - Daniel Griner Jr., 23 mos, dismembered, Bridgeton, Cumberland County, 8 Feb 2019 *Arrest*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
@inmyhumbleopinion - was wondering if there might be any updates on this case?

TIA! And Happy Holidays!
paindepice.gif
I am so sorry I kept forgetting!
sorry.gif

So that it doesn’t happen again, I just put a reminder in my calendar to email Matt Gray tomorrow morning :). I will let you know as soon as I hear back from him!

And Happy Holidays to you, too!
093d0f8b0829622e3ef4629ad6900ede.jpg

I am so sorry I kept forgetting!
sorry.gif

So that it doesn’t happen again, I just put a reminder in my calendar to email Matt Gray tomorrow morning :). I will let you know as soon as I hear back from him!

And Happy Holidays to you, too!
093d0f8b0829622e3ef4629ad6900ede.jpg
And ... here it is!
“Hi - they are coming back in late January again - nothing slated until then. Don't have an exact date yet for next hearing. Thanks”
B53D613F-3ECB-41AA-97FA-D97CDC449D6F.jpeg
I was looking at the cute little Gingerbread Man and Holiday Scooby Doo and all of a sudden got so sad. Daniel would still only be three years old. He should be here celebrating. And this will only be the second holiday season for his loved ones without him. Wishing them peace and healing.

@inmyhumbleopinion - I have a hearing in January, but no exact date... was wondering if the court site has been updated? Take your time - no rush!

TIA!
animated-smileys-new-years-eve-143.gif
NJ’s search system only displays “defendants with a case(s) on which he or she was convicted and sentenced in Superior Court ... in your search results.”
Criminal Cases: PROMIS/Gavel Public Access

I will try to remember to email Matt Gray towards the end of the month :).
e91c58c6ee4a99f87674676f9cc3c472.jpg

I'm a little miffed with the police not giving her the mirander. How often must they do these interviews? I've followed a few where cases have been messed up from not giving people them few important sentances.

I still don't think she will get off with it but the first interviews are really important and tell the jury what a lying "bleep" she is.

Finally ... there has been an update!!

Updated Jan 28, 12:21 PM; Posted Jan 28, 8:17 AM
By Matt Gray | For NJ.com
“A mother indicted on a murder charge in the 2019 death of her young child doesn’t deny she destroyed his remains, but didn’t ‘knowingly and purposefully’ cause his death, according to a new court filing.

[SBM]

Attorney Jill Cohen is asking that the most serious charge against her client — first-degree murder — be tried separately from charges of desecrating human remains and tampering with evidence. Cohen argues that Griner wouldn’t get a fair trial on the murder charge if the same jury heard the charges together.

[SBM]

In the motion filed this week, Cohen argues ‘the evidence necessary for the state to prove murder is separate and apart from the evidence necessary to prove the destruction of the remains. … For the purposes of this motion, defendant does not deny that she destroyed the human remains but denies that she knowingly and purposefully caused the death of D.G. Jr.’

Presenting evidence on the desecration and tampering charges, including images of the remains and details from the autopsy and forensic reports, along with the murder charge would prejudice a jury that will see no proof of how the child actually died or when, Cohen said in a phone interview.

‘Once they see what she did as a mother, they’re not going to be able to separate all those prejudicial pieces of evidence from the real issue. Did she murder her child? … When they see the photos of the remains, it’s going to look so horrible that they may be so prejudiced against her that they won’t be able to see that there’s really no definitive cause of death,’ Cohen said.

They have evidence that clearly indicates from circumstantial evidence and the evidence they found that she was the person that destroyed the remains. But if you try the counts together, the jury is going to be so prejudiced against her that they can’t see that the state hasn’t proven a manner of death or at whose hands the death was.’

The new defense motion will be considered during a Feb. 25 hearing.

[SBM]” (BBM)
N.J. mom ‘doesn’t deny’ destroying child’s remains, but didn’t cause death, attorney says

Thanks for the update @inmyhumbleopinion - now I searched & didn't find THIS article.... I never get anything "new" over here.... :rolleyes:
You are welcome. I was glad to see progress in the case. There must be a reason why we are getting different search results depending on location.

By the way, I believe this is the first time we are hearing from her new attorney:
“Griner was previously represented by a public defender, but private counsel took the case last year.”

Thursday, February 25th:
*Motions Hearing (@ am ET) – NJ – Daniel Griner, Jr. (23 mos.) (reported missing @ 6:30pm Feb. 8, 2019, Bridgeton; found 2/9/19 @ 3am buried in yard, burned & dismembered in her purse) - *Nakira Monae Griner (24/now 25) arrested & charged (2/9/19) & indicted (6/19/19) & arraigned (10/7/19) with 1st degree murder, 2nd degree endangering the welfare of a child, 2nd degree desecration of human remains, 4th degree tampering with evidence & 2nd degree false public alarm. Plead not guilty. No bond.
Said beat toddler for not eating & not listening to her. Died from blunt force trauma & multiply bone fractures.
Court hearings from 2/14/19 thru 6/29/20 reference post #158 here:
Found Deceased - NJ - Daniel Griner Jr., 23 mos, dismembered, Bridgeton, Cumberland County, 8 Feb 2019 *Arrest*

8/10/20 Update: Next pretrial hearing on 10/20/20. 10/20/20 Update: Next pretrial hearing in late January, 1/28/21 Update: Attorney Jill Cohen is asking that the most serious charge against her client — first-degree murder — be tried separately from charges of desecrating human remains & tampering with evidence. Cohen argues that Griner wouldn’t get a fair trial on the murder charge if the same jury heard the charges together. ‘They have evidence that clearly indicates from circumstantial evidence & the evidence they found that she was the person that destroyed the remains. But if you try the counts together, the jury is going to be so prejudiced against her that they can’t see that the state hasn’t proven a manner of death or at whose hands the death was.’ The new defense motion will be considered during a Feb. 25 hearing.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
frankiterranova
Back