NJ NJ - Five Missing Teens, Newark, 20 Aug 1978

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
SuziQ - thanks for putting this cold case on a thread! 32 years go by while 5 families wait for some kind of hint as to what happened to their child. Bless each and every one of them.

Unbelievable what can be done with these cold cases. The five boys were led into a house and the house was set on fire. The one carpenter was a suspect at the time and he's now arrested...makes you wonder what these sick men have done with their 32 years of freedom. :eek:

So grateful the famiies will have some closure - at last!

I lived in Kearny NJ it was like Mayberry back in the 70's Newark was very bad back then and though the years I always wondered what happened to the boys.I am glad they found their killers but I wonder why it took so darn long.My husband grew up in Newark and I asked him about these boys gone missing and he said he never heard or read anything about them.Justice finally for the 5 boys who were killed horribly.Their families waiting all this time to know what happened to them,while the killers were living their lives.Now they all can rest in peace Melvin Pittman and Ernest Taylor, both 17, and Alvin Turner, Randy Johnson, and Michael McDowell, all 16.

Omg, I was just thinking about these boys tonight. This is so sad, but I am glad that the cold case unit that began working this case again recently has finally been able to find some long-awaited answers.

We have a link about these boys somewhere, Suzi. I remember reading about these boys when I first joined WS. I have done a search for their thread, but cannot find it.

This is just amazing that after nearly 32 years, we are finally going to get some answers. I have thought of those young boys often--earlier tonight, in fact. The (obviously untrue) stories that were told to their families (I recall one of the stories was that one of the boys had been seen in Washington, DC) were meant to be distractions with no basis in truth. All the stories did was to lend false hope to already traumatized and grieving family members.

I am anxious to hear more details about the arrests and the theories of what became of those 5 young boys. They were out playing basketball, enjoying their youth, and for their lives to all have been taken from them, for no apparent reason, is just heartbreaking.

From all that I read about the events surrounding their disappearances, they were good boys that would often take odd jobs with a carpenter/contractor in order to help their families financially. One of the theories that I recall reading about, was that they might have seen that contractor doing something(s) illegal, and they were killed in order to keep them silenced. It will be interesting to find out the motive behind these horrific murders.

Although this new development will finally bring answers to their families, it surely must be reopening old wounds. Some of those answers are going to be horrendously heartwrenching and sad. My heart goes out to all of them.

Rest in peace, Michael, Alvin, Randy, Melvin and Ernest. You deserved so much better.

ETA: Here is the link that I was referring to for the other thread for the boys. http://websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68844&highlight=Melvin+Pittman

I wonder if they have murdered anyone else before and after these teens.I guess we will find out.

Impossible to imagine that 2 cold blooded murderers who led 5 young boys into a building and did, who knows what to them, and set a fire to make sure there were no remains, would be productive citizens. 32 years have passed and I can't fathom either of the men developing empathy or compassion, or living anything but a criminal life. Wonder if the 2nd guy, not named, told his story to LE as part of a plea bargain?

How tragic for the families to wait 32 years to know for sure their child is dead - I'm sure many were hoping they ran away and were still alive.

I can't even pretend to know what waiting 32 years for some kind of answer must be like - after that length of time, I'm afraid I wouldn't be much good for anything. I'm so sorry for all those who love and care for any or all of the boys. moo

wow.......what a story.......glad to see that their families now had closure.....

what heartless beep beeps to lock them in a house and then burn it down.....

someone said in the comments of the link above that they were unloading boxes for the guy and then went home and had dinner.....

they said that maybe it had something to do with what was in the boxes and were scared one of/the boys found out what was in them....

what I find is truly amazing is the psychic that had it spot on..........just goes to show hey.....

I posted the story in the "Missing but not Forgotten" Thread earlier today. We have a thread there "NJ-5 Missing New Jersey Boys" for some time.

Here is the link for the news article this morning.

http://wcbstv.com/local/clinton.avenue.five.2.1581553.html

Cops: 'Clinton Avenue Five' Cold Case Solved
Families Of 5 Boys Who Disappeared 31 Years Ago In N.J. Have Some Answers Now That 2 Men Have Been Arrested

Thanks guys. I just alerterd a mod to combine the two threads. I did a search and just didn't find it.

I had never heard of this case before and the details, the few we have so far, got to me. I just could not sleep.

Isn't that freaky about the psychic? He even had the street right. I will be curious to know if he had the exact spot. I guess I am so taken with the psychic because for the most part I don't believe in them.

Media still showing up and putting up mikes. Someone came out and handed out what looked like a press release.

Alot of people lined up.

the DA is introducing persons at the podium.

Arrested Philander Hampton and Lee Evans last night. Held on five million bail each. Another suspect died in the past.

Boys led to house at 256 Camden street. Boys were restrained died in fire. Former residence of Lee Evans.

They do not know where the remains are.

I think this thread belongs in the crimes in the news forum, since someone was charged with a crime in this case...... and the second linked original thread should be moved here for discussion.

I'll notify a mod..... and ask the mods for this forum best decide where they belong...

An eyewitness came forward with information about the fire. Motive believed to be marijuana stolen by the boys from the perps.

I when I started this post, it had haunted me for so long. They seemed like such nice kids who should have had a good life. I knew they that they didn't deserve to be forgotten.

I'm so greatful that their families will have some answers. I truly believe that the attention and prayers people on this board helped in finding the truth.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TommieHouston
Back