GUILTY NJ - Gregory Leary & others for sexual assault of 7yo girl, Trenton, 2010

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Has anyone read anything about the use of drugs and alcohol at this party? I highly suspect that this will play a part in this story--both with the adults and the children.

And Charlie, I can honestly say that there's no difference whatsoever if the victim (the 7 year old) or the facilitator (the 15 year old) is male or female to me. But I can only speak for myself. Your point is well taken, though. I don't have sympathy, per se, for the 15 year old. I have deep concern.

I would imagine, as we write, LE and DHS are sorting all this out. Let's hope they get some answers. Let's hope this tragic story shines some light into the evil corners where this type of crime can occur.

AA--I don't think a 15 year old child can consent to sex (with or without the exchange of funds), so whomever sexually penetrated this girl would be guilty of some level of sexual abuse or rape. JMO Please correct me if the laws in NJ are different.

AA--I don't think a 15 year old child can consent to sex (with or without the exchange of funds), so whomever sexually penetrated this girl would be guilty of some level of sexual abuse or rape. JMO Please correct me if the laws in NJ are different.

I don't NJ law either! :waitasec:

Sexual assault is sexual penetration with a victim between age 13 and 16 when the actor is at least four years older.

So in order for it to be rape with the 15 year old the men would have had to have been 19 or older.

I never read anywhere she was raped! She was not raped, she sold herself for money and then sold her 7 year old sister to be touched by these men. Don't you think if the police thought she was raped she would not be sitting in a jail cell? They would be classifying her as a victim as well, but they are not! Why do you think that is?

I think you missed this part of my post:
"again, teen is not old enough to consent to sex, so this is rape, money or no money"
In addition, until I find out she has no pimp/wasn't ordered there by local gang, I'm going to call it rape, as a coerced sexual encounter IS rape, JMO.

In addition, LE in far too many areas automatically look at prostitutes as perps, even when they are reporting a rape! It's why most 'hookers' don't bother to report assaults, since they are usually dismissed as having 'asked for it' etc...so I just can't bring myself to assume that LE bothered to REALLY look into the girls situation before filing charges. But hey, that's just coming from reading the stories of trafficking victims for a long time now, and doesn't necessarily apply in this case (in other words, i might just be paranoid and barking up the wrong tree here)

I think you missed this part of my post:
"again, teen is not old enough to consent to sex, so this is rape, money or no money"In addition, until I find out she has no pimp/wasn't ordered there by local gang, I'm going to call it rape, as a coerced sexual encounter IS rape, JMO.

In addition, LE in far too many areas automatically look at prostitutes as perps, even when they are reporting a rape! It's why most 'hookers' don't bother to report assaults, since they are usually dismissed as having 'asked for it' etc...so I just can't bring myself to assume that LE bothered to REALLY look into the girls situation before filing charges. But hey, that's just coming from reading the stories of trafficking victims for a long time now, and doesn't necessarily apply in this case (in other words, i might just be paranoid and barking up the wrong tree here)

I pray everyday that my kids wait until they married to have sex. With that being said if one of them makes the choice againist my wishes to have sex with their boyfriend or girlfriend you would consider that rape?

This article is interesting.......

It points-out that “the vast majority of youth involved in prostitution are girls, although some service providers see an increase in the number of boys.” It notes that the average age most girls get involved in prostitution is at 14-years and the median age of involvement is 15.5-years. However, it reports child prostitutes being picked up by police at only 11 or 12-years and even 9-years of age. It stresses that child prostitutes come from throughout the country, inner-cities, suburbs and small-towns, and from all walks-of-life. But it notes, “larger cities are more likely to have a higher proportion of boys involved in prostitution”. [Department of Justice, NIS-MART, 2002]

There is a second, and apparently growing, form of prostitution that is apparently “voluntary” and involves the exchange of “favors” like dope, money or other presents. A study by Jessica Edwards, of the Pacific Institute for Research and Evaluation, found that an estimated 650,000 American teenagers exchange sex for favors. More surprising, more boys were likely to sell themselves than girls.

http://www.counterpunch.org/rosen08022008.html

http://gvnet.com/childprostitution/USA.htm

Great research, thanks! Brings up some great potential points...

I should add that they are still trying to figure out how many of the 'voluntary' exchange ones actually started doing it on their own and how many were initially lured into the idea and then just kept at it since they were already doing it anyway...kinda hard to get solid data on all of this since many just aren't open about it...that said, it is entirely possible that this girl was a 'spontanious' prostitute that arranged the party herself, in which case, as long as LE checked the other possibilities first, I'll say nail her to the wall.

I pray everyday that my kids wait until they married to have sex. With that being said if one of them makes the choice againist my wishes to have sex with their boyfriend or girlfriend you would consider that rape?

if that boyfreind or girlfreind is an adult and your kid is below the age of consent, the law says that is rape, period (unless they fall in the 'romeo and juliet' range)

if that boyfreind or girlfreind is an adult and your kid is below the age of consent, the law says that is rape, period (unless they fall in the 'romeo and juliet' range)

Each state is different with what the law says. Say the girl was 15 and the boyfriend was 19 or the girl was 16 and the boyfriend was 20? Because the law in NJ says thats okay!

Each state is different with what the law says. Say the girl was 15 and the boyfriend was 19 or the girl was 16 and the boyfriend was 20? Because the law in NJ says thats okay!

That's where things get ethically and morally confusing lol...after all, there are still states where girls in their very early teens can get married with parents permission, and then there are other states where an 18yo can become a sex offender for sleeping with a 16 or even 17yo...my personal take is if you're old enough to be trusted to drive around thousands of pounds of lethal weapon (drivers license or 16 in most places) then you can be trusted to make informed decisions about sex...below that it's rape...keep in mind though that I'm not too keen on drivers below the age of 18, so that's a bit fudgy with me...that said, I also support romeo and juliet exceptions, so if, IF, this teen was only selling herself to other teens, it wouldn't be rape - but from the sound of the articles there were full grown men involved, so it would be rape.

Great question, now my single surviving brain cell is overheating lol :crazy:

NJ doesn't have a specific age ...it's a difference in age...I believe it's 6 years. If she was 15 having consensual sex with an 18 year old, there would be no crime. But if the 15 year old were having the same sex with a man of 27...then it would be a crime.

NJ doesn't have a specific age ...it's a difference in age...I believe it's 6 years. If she was 15 having consensual sex with an 18 year old, there would be no crime. But if the 15 year old were having the same sex with a man of 27...then it would be a crime.

Wow, I hope there is a minimum age to that, else a 14yo could get away with seducing an 8yo!:sick:

ETA: I'm going to assume that they have the standard 12 and under is a seperate type of offense laws, just for my own sanity.

Since she is under 16 but older than 13 for it to be statutory rape a man has to be 4 years older than her.
So if she had voluntary sex with teenagers who are less than 4 years older than her then it's not statutory rape under NJ law.

It's 4 years, not 6 years difference.

http://www./new-jersey/rape/

Since she is under 16 but older than 13 for it to be statutory rape a man has to be 4 years older than her.
So if she had voluntary sex with teenagers who are less than 4 years older than her then it's not statutory rape.

Thanks I posted that on the page before this one, guess it was over looked.

According to articles, the girl knew the people at the 'party', so obviously she was no stranger to the area - do we even know that she didn't live nearby? I'm sorry, it's just impossible to buy that this was just some random party that just happened to have a bunch of pervs into raping kids and a girl that just happened to decide to sell herself to them on her own. It just defies belief. This was planned by these guys, and someone arranged for the teen to be there. If the 7yo hadn't tagged along, then the teen would be the sole victim here, and once more, tell me how that teen was going to stop these guys once they decided to do whatever to that little girl?

And as far as poverty goes? That has nothing to do with trafficking of minors, as sheltered middle-class girls have become a favored victims of pimps since they don't have the street smarts to see the lures for what they are.

Please, please listen to the language you are using to refer to this girl when we know very, very little about what actually happened, and have heard nothing at all in her defense...again, being accused of something by LE is by no means the same as being guilty of it...

JMO and all that good stuff

There was a guy on the 13th floor who's apartment they all called "The" pad or something like that and that was the hang out place and everyone gathered there, one neighbor said it was always very loud and nobody dared to complain. So yes it was like some underground party pad where anything goes. And who knows how she got invited there?
But there is no trafficking going on that I can see.
Just people making really bad choices.

Was just reading about this today on the gothamist website. There are many truly appalling aspects to this incident, but what disturbs me the most is that there were so many men in one place at the same time even INTERESTED in having sex with a 7-year old. I find this very disturbing.

Wow, I hope there is a minimum age to that, else a 14yo could get away with seducing an 8yo!:sick:

ETA: I'm going to assume that they have the standard 12 and under is a seperate type of offense laws, just for my own sanity.

I believe you are correct.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back