GUILTY NJ - Kara Alongi, 16, charged in abduction hoax, 30 Sept 2012

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I am from Central Jersey, and this has to be the most attention the local media has given a missing person case in my lifetime. They NEVER follow up on these cases, and write numerous articles. But a runaway who faked her own abduction? More publicity than any missing child in NJ! Are they trying to keep the story alive so people will be just as/more angry when she comes home and they can witness the backlash?

In the above video her mom mentioned she has celiac disease. Celiac disease does have mental health issuses including some that could explain why she acted the way she did in the twitter, text and her leaving. It is hard keeping to the diet even for a adult. I wonder how strict she was with her diet because it makes thing worse when you don't. http://www.drkaslow.com/html/gluten-brain_connection_.html Hopefully they have contacted places where gluten free foods are sold. Moo http://www.celiac.com/categories/Ce...enia-{47}-Mental-Problems-and-Celiac-Disease/

We need to remember that she is a 16 year old girl and let's face it their brains don't always function at full capacity. Maybe it is a cry for help and now she is missing.

We don't know if she had been groomed by someone online who has picked on her possible vulnerable state and is now using it to their advantage. So if she does turn up she needs to get the appropriate help and hopefully she turns up safe.

I agree that this is a HUGE mistake Kara has made. I wanted to refrain from saying this until she was safe and sound (in case she were googling herself and reading the public opinion of her actions which have turned deeply personal), but she will forever be known for this. Thinking about that, from a selfish (we all were at that age) 16 year old's perspective. A 16 year old who is more concerned about being accepted socially than ANYTHING else on the planet...this is devastating. I don't, can't believe that she had any intention this would get as much attention for her actions...world wide.

At 16, the world is so small and revolves around ONE thing...yourself. A girl this age will hide because of a blemish. She will have a terrible day because her hair didn't cooperate.

At 16, you think you're grown, you know everything & you know better than everyone else. We ALL made mistakes, said things that were mean, done things that were super stupid, but they weren't made on the Internet to live forever. THANK GOD ABOVE FOR THAT, IMO. But the one thing I have personally learned from these mistakes I made myself, is that I didn't know ***** & that I had a ton of learning to do. (Okay, that was 2 things. :) )

I do have compassion for Kara. I do not agree with her actions. But the possibility that she will stay vanished longer because of this intense publicity, and therefore keeping herself in a possibly dangerous position, further endangering herself, makes me tilt compassion's way. This decision she made is NOT, IMO, punishable by death. She doesn't deserve, IMO, anything that may happen to her while unsupervised.

I want her found, regardless of the circumstances surrounding her disappearance. She is not old enough to make these decisions for herself and certainly not wise/mature enough to take care of herself. The tweet proves that.

I'm sorry for the long post. This is all my opinion only.

i do not disagree with december sunshine.

the only public comment the parents can make is "celiac disease" after three days? oh please. IMO her problems are well beyond...

the parents' elderly parents are casing train stations, and for that i applaud them.

I agree that this is a HUGE mistake Kara has made. I wanted to refrain from saying this until she was safe and sound (in case she were googling herself and reading the public opinion of her actions which have turned deeply personal), but she will forever be known for this. Thinking about that, from a selfish (we all were at that age) 16 year old's perspective. A 16 year old who is more concerned about being accepted socially than ANYTHING else on the planet...this is devastating. I don't, can't believe that she had any intention this would get as much attention for her actions...world wide.

At 16, the world is so small and revolves around ONE thing...yourself. A girl this age will hide because of a blemish. She will have a terrible day because her hair didn't cooperate.

At 16, you think you're grown, you know everything & you know better than everyone else. We ALL made mistakes, said things that were mean, done things that were super stupid, but they weren't made on the Internet to live forever. THANK GOD ABOVE FOR THAT, IMO. But the one thing I have personally learned from these mistakes I made myself, is that I didn't know ***** & that I had a ton of learning to do. (Okay, that was 2 things. :) )

I do have compassion for Kara. I do not agree with her actions. But the possibility that she will stay vanished longer because of this intense publicity, and therefore keeping herself in a possibly dangerous position, further endangering herself, makes me tilt compassion's way. This decision she made is NOT, IMO, punishable by death. She doesn't deserve, IMO, anything that may happen to her while unsupervised.

I want her found, regardless of the circumstances surrounding her disappearance. She is not old enough to make these decisions for herself and certainly not wise/mature enough to take care of herself. The tweet proves that.

I wish I had worded my earlier post as well as you just did! Well said.

It's all well and good to say she's made an immature decision and judge her harshly for it, but why is it that she is still 'missing'?

Odds are, she's now too scared to come home because of the backlash she's going to face from friends and family, so she's in hiding by herself. At 16.

I highly doubt she expected so much media attention over this, and I'm quite sure that she will be finding it very overwhelming. As a previous poster stated, girls this age are VERY concerned with how others see them (and very self centered), so I highly doubt the hate parade in the media and over the internet is going to bring her home.

The longer she stays hidden, the more likely it is that she will become a legitimate missing child. The streets aren't safe, so I'm hoping that she has someone looking after her, somewhere safe to stay with food on the table and a nice warm bed.

Because, God forbid, if this girl is laying in a ditch dying or dead, it would be much better if people were actually looking for her instead of judging her. This is someone's child, she may have made a mistake, but I don't believe it should jeopardize her safety. And searching for her is too big a task for her family to undertake alone. People need to save their judgment for when she is found, once her family have her safely back in their arms.

Obviously, MOO only.

It's all well and good to say she's made an immature decision and judge her harshly for it, but why is it that she is still 'missing'?

Odds are, she's now too scared to come home because of the backlash she's going to face from friends and family, so she's in hiding by herself. At 16.

I highly doubt she expected so much media attention over this, and I'm quite sure that she will be finding it very overwhelming. As a previous poster stated, girls this age are VERY concerned with how others see them (and very self centered), so I highly doubt the hate parade in the media and over the internet is going to bring her home.

The longer she stays hidden, the more likely it is that she will become a legitimate missing child. The streets aren't safe, so I'm hoping that she has someone looking after her, somewhere safe to stay with food on the table and a nice warm bed.

Because, God forbid, if this girl is laying in a ditch dying or dead, it would be much better if people were actually looking for her instead of judging her. This is someone's child, she may have made a mistake, but I don't believe it should jeopardize her safety. And searching for her is too big a task for her family to undertake alone. People need to save their judgment for when she is found, once her family have her safely back in their arms.

Obviously, MOO only.

Of course no one wants her to be in danger. It is just a fact that LE has limited resources and will not be likely to devote a lot of them to a teen who clearly left on her own. They are barely able to look for teens when not certain of the circumstances. This is one of those cases that probably needs a private investigator hired by the family.

Been down this road a few times. It is very obvious that she left to be with an older BF. The stagging of the tweet tells me she intended to return. Most teens that run away don't stage an abduction. IMO it is the ones that plan on returning that do. I am sure she discussed this plan with the BF he might have even thought it up. However he forgot about the cameras. Anyhow I think she deserves the same attention as any run away. I do not believe she warrants the same resources as an abducted teen.

It is apparent she planned to stay for over a month by the size of the backpack. Hunt down the BF if you want but she is probably staying with a relative or friend of his. Its pretty obvious when something like this happens police deal with this kind of thing all the time and go straight to BF's house. He could be charged with harboring a runaway so she wont be there.

From LE's perspective the only charges that could be brought are enticing a minor (cant be proven) or harboring a run away. Most likely the later would be all they could do. I believe it is a misdemeanor. So put yourselves in LE's shoes. I don't think they can even get warrants for misdemeanors.

Anyhow she is off doing what she wants to do. She will contact her family when she is ready. Just seen this so many times in my life already. A private investigator is exactly what the family needs if they want to get her back. Most teens wont stay cooped up inside hiding for 2 years until their 18th birthday. So a private investigator can get video of her with him or get the cops there when the PI spots her and that will be that.

There are so many missing kids that were abducted that get no media attention. I agree with others that feel this should not get the coverage that it does. I think its entertaining (to the public) like ewww awww a love triangle, a faked abduction, etc.... Its like a bad chick flick. I hope she doesn't meet with foul play however I seriously doubt she will.

Before they even bring her back they need to consider what they are going to do. She can step out the door and run away as many times as she likes. Its not a crime. They need a full proof plan to deal with this when she is eventually located.

There are posts saying that Kara must be humiliated at all the attention her hoax got, but why do I have a feeling she will make the media rounds when she returns?

Of course no one wants her to be in danger. It is just a fact that LE has limited resources and will not be likely to devote a lot of them to a teen who clearly left on her own. They are barely able to look for teens when not certain of the circumstances. This is one of those cases that probably needs a private investigator hired by the family.

I completely understand where you're coming from. I also don't believe that LE should be using all their resources looking for her when she's more than likely voluntarily missing. You're right, there are other cases that need attention, and I don't see it as fair that she has such a media storm surrounding her disappearance when there are cases that seem to get swept under the rug.

In terms of the public though, I feel that no one is really looking for her because they're too concerned with the hoax aspect of the case. In all likelihood, she's fine, and if this is so I would really hope that she puts an end to all the drama and just calls her parents. I just don't know that she's voluntarily missing anymore, and I believe that if people are still keeping an eye out for her she's more likely to be found safe. It just doesn't seem that people are interested in finding her anymore, and are more concerned with voicing their opinions of her (which is not really all that surprising if the tweet was in fact a hoax). This is not directed at anyone here, it's more what I've seen on social media.

I definitely didn't mean to imply that people hoped she was in danger, and I hope that's not how it came across.

I completely understand where you're coming from. I also don't believe that LE should be using all their resources looking for her when she's more than likely voluntarily missing. You're right, there are other cases that need attention, and I don't see it as fair that she has such a media storm surrounding her disappearance when there are cases that seem to get swept under the rug.

In terms of the public though, I feel that no one is really looking for her because they're too concerned with the hoax aspect of the case. In all likelihood, she's fine, and if this is so I would really hope that she puts an end to all the drama and just calls her parents. I just don't know that she's voluntarily missing anymore, and I believe that if people are still keeping an eye out for her she's more likely to be found safe. It just doesn't seem that people are interested in finding her anymore, and are more concerned with voicing their opinions of her (which is not really all that surprising if the tweet was in fact a hoax). This is not directed at anyone here, it's more what I've seen on social media.

I definitely didn't mean to imply that people hoped she was in danger, and I hope that's not how it came across.

She needs to be located to the same degree any teen runaway or missing teen needs to be located, no more, no less, in my opinion. Hardly any of them get even this degree of attention by any stretch. I think her family needs to take charge, as all families pretty much do, as sitting back and waiting for police to find runaways is not going to end successfully very often.

If she really does not want to be found, she may have changed her appearance and probably will keep a somewhat low profile for a while. Her family knows the most about her, any possibly boyfriends, etc. and the best chance to find her, in my opinion, is with the help of a PI.

aha. now we're getting somewhere...slowly...bbm:

http://woodbridge.patch.com/articles/missing-clark-teen-bought-train-ticket-to-nyc

The Clark Police Department can now confirm that the ticket missing teen Kara Alongi bought from Rahway train station was to New York Penn Station.

(snipped)

Several people have mentioned to Patch that Alongi was blamed for police breaking up an underage drinking party in the days preceding her disappearance and was on the outs with friends.

"We have heard that, but we can't confirm that that is the reason she left," said Scherb.

(snipped)

Scherb also told Patch that the department is trying to investigate Alongi's phone and online accounts, but all are password protected. (Scherb also reported that Alongi's phone was intact and not "smashed," as many commenters have suggested.)

Scherb said that police are not sure what Alongi took with her in the large backpack and tote she is seen carrying in the train station photo, but that it was likely clothing.

We asked Scherb if Alongi could have boarded a plane. "Anything is possible, and we would go through the Port Authority to determine that," said Scherb,"but based on how much money we believe she had on her, we don't think she bought a plane ticket."

You're right, and I completely understand. Her actions are pretty obvious and easy to judge. I didn't mean any offense.

None taken. I should also state clearly, I hope she is found safe, I do not want to hear that any harm has come to her. But that doesn't stop me from thinking that she has knowingly caused her family a lot of grief and uncertainty. I wonder if she's thought of what they're going through. Or if she cares about their concerns.
My late mother always told me growing up that I could never understand what a mother feels about her children until I had one of my own. She was so right! My heart goes out to her parents, and for what they're going through, because the not knowing is the worst, I would think.

I agree with everything you said.
I hope she has not put herself in grave danger, but even so, she deserves to be found safe, and she needs to know that she can call her parents or LE and come home without fear of too severe a punishment. I don't think she has anything to worry about with LE, it's not a crime to run away. But she might fear that her parents will be too harsh on her. As for her classmates, most of them will probably think she has some great stories to tell about her "big adventure" so even though she might face some embarrassment, she's going to be a celebrity for awhile.

She might fear she is in danger! Retaliation is something to be afraid of esp at 16.
It said her FB and such is password protected I wonder if she was threatened for blowing the whistle on a party! Desperate ppl do desperate things!

I hope she comes home safe and sound!

I feel she had to be meeting up with someone in NY. I wonder if she has any friends from school that graduated and are in college there?

When you read the posts under these articles she isnt getting a free pass.
PPL are PO'd at her.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Btoole5