NJ - Multiple Deaths in Mansion Fire, Monmouth County, Colts Neck, 20 Nov 2018 *Arrest*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I don't think the prosecutor would outright state that the killer is not on the loose so soon....unless they are pretty darned sure that they already have the killer. Seems premature to say that. In order to appease the residents they could have said something to the effect that this family was targeted, no danger to residents.

How he expected to get away with this when even a bunch of amateur sleuths on WS had it figured out immediately is beyond me. One word: hubris (it applies to so many crimes).

Definition of HUBRIS
Hubris or just plain stupidity -- and if he had enuff pride to contemplate doing it, he must have also had enuff stupidity to
think he could get away with it, and then to actually do it. SMH.

If he did it, that is.

I wanted to talk about the brother when this first happened, but of course, he was considered a "victim" at that time, before he was charged.

What a mental giant! Doh. He kills the brother, his family, sets the stage for house fire, and set a fire at his own home...I think he wanted to kill his family too. I see a divorce in his future. Why do these men think that they will get away with this stuff?!

Stabbing just seems really personal imo. I would think it takes a lot of gall to stab your SIL and nieces/nephews (idk if the minors are male or female).
To me it feels like a rage killing. I think he returned home and made up the scheme to start the fires to try to hide what he had done to his brother and family.

Totally agree -- stabbing is horrible as well as personal.
It is also quiet.
Of course people quoted in the media are saying Jennifer, the murdered wife, was beautiful and very nice. Sometimes things are different within an extended family. Stabbing is so personal and rage-filled. I wonder if she was pushing her husband to oust his brother from the business and she, and by extension her children, were more the target. Maybe he shot his brother with the brother's gun taken from inside the home, and hoped that Jennifer would be blamed for the murders and fire as a murder-suicide. I am trying to understand the point of lighting the house on fire to destroy evidence and 3 bodies, but then leaving brother Keith shot on the lawn.

Family dynamics can be so effed up. This is coming from a foster kid’s standpoint. Even what most people view as normal is totally backwards to other people. I think the one thing we can say for certain is that whatever the “reason”, it’s been stewing and building up over time. The dual fire seems frantic and not well thought out and quite obvious so I’m not sure that there wasn’t a slow burning fire and the evil bro thought he had failed and was trying to play victim by igniting his own house. What a s**t show.

I wonder if he pulled a Chase Merritt (McStay Family) and started transferring money from accounts. Or is he a life insurance beneficiary (Mark Sievers)? Was this possibly a hired hit so he could claim he was 12 miles away asleep?

What gets me is that if he hadn’t started the fire at his own house he would have been free long enough to cover his tracks, escape or whatever. Dumb and dumber.

I wonder if he pulled a Chase Merritt (McStay Family) and started transferring money from accounts. Or is he a life insurance beneficiary (Mark Sievers)? Was this possibly a hired hit so he could claim he was 12 miles away asleep?

What gets me is that if he hadn’t started the fire at his own house he would have been free long enough to cover his tracks, escape or whatever. Dumb and dumber.

I agree! Starting a fire at his own house definitely put him on LE's radar. Unless of course he wasn't trying to cover up the murder but instead wanted his own family dead as well. What an evil man.

Homes are very far apart in colts neck. There is a minimum acreage law in town to give you an idea of the landscape. You cant even see many of the homes from the streets. No main corridors. I doubt kids went to public school even tho they have good schools.

Just an FYI- this House was totally visible from the highway. Not enough to see someone deceased in a front lawn, but extremely visible to any passerbys.

ETA - I know this from driving by the scene on my way home from work. I had heard of the fire, but had no idea where it was. Then- there it is, right where I drive everyday. Could even see the water from the hoses being sprayed on the rear of the home. In between this Of course is a fairly large pasture for sheep and goats I smile at daily. So while not situated on the highway, it is close.

Last edited:
Of course people quoted in the media are saying Jennifer, the murdered wife, was beautiful and very nice. Sometimes things are different within an extended family. Stabbing is so personal and rage-filled. I wonder if she was pushing her husband to oust his brother from the business and she, and by extension her children, were more the target. Maybe he shot his brother with the brother's gun taken from inside the home, and hoped that Jennifer would be blamed for the murders and fire as a murder-suicide. I am trying to understand the point of lighting the house on fire to destroy evidence and 3 bodies, but then leaving brother Keith shot on the lawn.
I’m not so sure he left the brother on the lawn. One of the first reports I read quoted a KC neighbor as saying he ran over there when the fire broke out and saw a body laying inside the entrance of the house. I have a feeling the neighbor may have dragged the body out thinking he was still alive or to save him from burning inside the house. I think that is how he was found outside the house. Unfortunately I cannot find the original article with quote as they have all been updated but I do know that I read it and wondered if he had pulled KC out of the burning house.

Just an FYI- this House was totally visible from the highway. Not enough to see someone deceased in a front lawn, but extremely visible to any passerbys.

ETA - I know this from driving by the scene on my way home from work. I had heard of the fire, but had no idea where it was. Then- there it is, right where I drive everyday. Could even see the water from the hoses being sprayed on the rear of the home. In between this Of course is a fairly large pasture for sheep and goats I smile at daily. So while not situated on the highway, it is close.
Oh man. That’s quite a shock and is going to be a difficult drive now, just knowing what happened. Prayers of peace to your community.

Colts Neck fire: Full investigation underway, finds Keith Caneiro killed by multiple gunshot wounds

The all-night investigation confirmed that 50-year-old Keith Caneiro was killed by multiple gunshot wounds. The bodies of his wife, Jennifer, and their two children, 11-year-old Jesse and 8-year-old Sophia, were found inside the home.

The cause of death for the Caneiro mother and children are still under review "pending toxicology" reports, Gramiccioni said.

Timeline of Events

Colts Neck fire: Here's how events unfolded

My theory is that he tried to set it up as a murder-suicide committed by Keith. He set a smoldering fire hoping that it would erase the forensic evidence. Maybe he set the fire in his own house intending to claim it was his brother, painting the brother as being unhinged. It is a very sad story, especially for the kids. Ugh it makes me really sad to imagine their horror. I hope it was quick...

The death of the Caneiro family — Keith, Jennifer and their two young children — is at least the ninth mass murder in New Jersey's history and the second in Monmouth County in the past year.

FBI defines mass murders as incidents that involve the homicide of four or more people during one event without a cooling off period, typically in one location.

More frequently, homicides that hit families come as murder-suicides, said Joe Giancolone, an adjunct professor at John Jay College of Criminal Justice and a retired New York Police Department sergeant who was the commanding officer of the Bronx Cold Case Squad. At least six murder-suicides occurred in New Jersey in 2018 alone.

Key for the investigation will be the potential for houses in the affluent Colts Neck neighborhood to have residential video surveillance that investigators can comb for cars and people arriving at the Caneiro home, Giancolone said.

He called potential video surveillance one of the "forensic horsemen" — the other keys being cell phone, internet and financial records — that will help authorities determine a motive in the case.

Meanwhile, the fire at the Willow Brook Road home, while it may have been intended to destroy physical evidence, meant police were called to the crime scene faster than they may have otherwise, he said.

The deaths of the Caneiro family come after the New Year's Eve mass shooting of a Long Branch family. Then 16-year-old Scott Kologi is facing four counts of murder and a weapon charge in the killings of his parents, 42-year-old Steven and 44-year-old Linda Kologi; his 18-year-old sister, Brittany Kologi; and a family friend, 70-year-old Mary Schulz.

Colts Neck fire: Caneiro family deaths marks New Jersey's 9th mass murder

Last edited:
Colts Neck fire: Full investigation underway, finds Keith Caneiro killed by multiple gunshot wounds

The all-night investigation confirmed that 50-year-old Keith Caneiro was killed by multiple gunshot wounds. The bodies of his wife, Jennifer, and their two children, 11-year-old Jesse and 8-year-old Sophia, were found inside the home.

The cause of death for the Caneiro mother and children are still under review "pending toxicology" reports, Gramiccioni said.

Timeline of Events

Colts Neck fire: Here's how events unfolded
Multiple gun shots? A true nightmare happened in that house.

jmo

My theory is that he tried to set it up as a murder-suicide committed by Keith. He set a smoldering fire hoping that it would erase the forensic evidence. Maybe he set the fire in his own house intending to claim it was his brother, painting the brother as being unhinged. It is a very sad story, especially for the kids. Ugh it makes me really sad to imagine their horror. I hope it was quick...
Well, if he was trying to set up a murder-suicide scene, it didn't go well. Keith apparently died from multiple gun shots.

But, I agree that this was planned in advance. I don't think arson is a spur of the moment crime (my guess).

Stabbing the children is beyond comprehension. BEYOND.

jmo

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pixilove
Back