NJ - Multiple Deaths in Mansion Fire, Monmouth County, Colts Neck, 20 Nov 2018 *Arrest*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I'm on the fence whether Paul wanted his own family killed too. On one hand, he didn't kill anyone in his own home in advance of the fire. On the other hand, setting your own house on fire with people inside is crazy dangerous. Unless everyone inside was in on the plan?? IDK what to think.

jmo

Well, if he was trying to set up a murder-suicide scene, it didn't go well. Keith apparently died from multiple gun shots.

But, I agree that this was planned in advance. I don't think arson is a spur of the moment crime (my guess).

Stabbing the children is beyond comprehension. BEYOND.

jmo

Yes, that’s the one puzzle in this theory. I did read somewhere (not sure where now) that it was two shots, which somewhat equates to “multiple”, but if it was more, that makes the theory problematic.

Yes, that’s the one puzzle in this theory. I did read somewhere (not sure where now) that it was two shots, which somewhat equates to “multiple”, but if it was more, that makes the theory problematic.
I still think the theory works - that Paul intended it to look like murder-suicide committed by Keith. But, the plan (if that was the plan) didn't work. In fact, it's a very strong theory.

Maybe the fire at Paul's house was also supposed to have looked like Keith set it. And that's why Paul said, "It must be a gas leak," to look like he was baffled by the fire....knowing the fire department would find the gas cans. He's no dummy - he knows the fire department would look for the source of the fire.

I think he was setting up his brother to look guilty of the murders and the two fires.

Which leads me to think that Keith found out something about Paul, and it seems it would be business troubles.

jmo at the moment....still puzzling this together.

Last edited:
New Jersey mansion fire: Brother was spotted by neighbor half hour before blaze; community mourns slain family

This article may be the first one to talk about possible motives:

Former police officer and federal mafia prosecutor Joe Peters told "FOX & friends" the killings and fire at the mansion a "a very strange and bizarre circumstance," and gave insight on where investigators are likely focused.

"It's a closed circle. You don't have a random killer. You don't have random victims you need to identify," Peters said. "You still have to identify the bodies inside the house, sadly, before you can charge a murder."

Peters added that as the spotlight appears to be focused on Paul Caneiro, there could be several possible motivations if he faces charges related to the mansion fire and killings.

"They were in business together, in two businesses, that's motive number one," he said.

Of course people quoted in the media are saying Jennifer, the murdered wife, was beautiful and very nice. Sometimes things are different within an extended family. Stabbing is so personal and rage-filled. I wonder if she was pushing her husband to oust his brother from the business and she, and by extension her children, were more the target. Maybe he shot his brother with the brother's gun taken from inside the home, and hoped that Jennifer would be blamed for the murders and fire as a murder-suicide. I am trying to understand the point of lighting the house on fire to destroy evidence and 3 bodies, but then leaving brother Keith shot on the lawn.

If he thought this would work, then the surviving brother is dumber that I initially thought -- it would have been necessary for Jennifer to have stabbed herself -- if the evidence shows that she was stabbed.
But I do agree that money and probably pent-up jealousy was at the root of this horror -- if the brother did it, that is.

I remember reading -- somewhere in an MSM -- that there was one shot to his head and one in his back, thus not suicide, according to the article.

I’m not so sure he left the brother on the lawn. One of the first reports I read quoted a KC neighbor as saying he ran over there when the fire broke out and saw a body laying inside the entrance of the house. I have a feeling the neighbor may have dragged the body out thinking he was still alive or to save him from burning inside the house. I think that is how he was found outside the house. Unfortunately I cannot find the original article with quote as they have all been updated but I do know that I read it and wondered if he had pulled KC out of the burning house.

Here you go. I posted it earlier and it’s still in the article. You may very well be right that the neighbor pulled him out of the house. Good thinking on your part and the neighbor’s if true.

NJ - Multiple Deaths in Mansion Fire - Monmouth County >> Colt's Neck - Tuesday, 20 Nov 2018

Colts Neck fire shakes town: 'It's so scary ... This doesn't happen here'

I’ve been reading some of the documents released in the Chris Watts case. The astute observations of the various officers regarding Watts’ demeanor, body language, answers, etc., plus the level of detail in the investigation were impressive. They don’t miss a trick and left no stone unturned in the neighborhood and interviewing friends, etc., but we weren’t privy to much of this information until now. I fully expect that the same is happening in this case and I expect more charges very soon.

New Jersey mansion fire: Brother was spotted by neighbor half hour before blaze; community mourns slain family

This article may be the first one to talk about possible motives:

Former police officer and federal mafia prosecutor Joe Peters told "FOX & friends" the killings and fire at the mansion a "a very strange and bizarre circumstance," and gave insight on where investigators are likely focused.

"It's a closed circle. You don't have a random killer. You don't have random victims you need to identify," Peters said. "You still have to identify the bodies inside the house, sadly, before you can charge a murder."

Peters added that as the spotlight appears to be focused on Paul Caneiro, there could be several possible motivations if he faces charges related to the mansion fire and killings.

"They were in business together, in two businesses, that's motive number one," he said.

Now that Keith and Paul are/were 50+, I have to guess that some sort of succession plan is in place for both businesses. The companies and employees have to be protected and accountants/lawyers/auditors etc would be all over KC to put a plan in place. KC seems to be the owner of both and PC an employee.

Paul Caneiro was the first employee hired by Keith Caneiro's tech company, according to a 2001 Asbury Park Press story.

Colts Neck fire: Brother tried to burn his own home with his wife and kids inside, cops say

Articles about KC show that he was clever where technology is concerned and an ivy league trained businessman. He was a long term planner imo - started Square One in 1987 at age 19, got his high level education during the start-up, purchased his current property in 1998 (age 30) and built the house 5 years later. Not sure when he married but he became a father at age 39 and 42 and was mortgage free by age 48 or so.

Brother of murdered New Jersey millionaire Keith Caneiro is charged with arson | Daily Mail Online

KC's retirement was going to be early and reflect all that he worked hard for imo. PC on the other hand seemed to be in a hurry to spend what might have been a generous salary along the way. PC married and had children much earlier and gave his daughters each a porsche as their first car. Not smart imo - the chances of the vehicles coming out unscathed and retaining value with teenage drivers is about nil.

From the second link above -

Keith used to visit him often, they said, but had not been to his home for a while.

Putting my two cents on rage from decisions that would not give PC a) the level of comfort he was expecting in his retirement or b) a forced early retirement (possibly not performing well lately) that would affect his income in the short to long term.

Very tragic for KC and his family.

I wonder if Paul’s injury in an auto accident several years ago has affected his ability to work in his pest control business. I saw a photo of him on FB with a cane, but I don’t recall if it was current.

Paul Caneiro: 5 Fast Facts You Need To Know | Heavy.com

In any case, I agree with Woodland that the apparent disparity in their work ethic and success and Paul’s possible sense of entitlement may have been a factor.

Quoting a neighbor’s comments in the link (which may or may not be true):

He also remarked on how he was ambitious but did not have the same level of success as his younger brother.

‘He’s a guy who was enamored with financial success. He liked the good stuff.

'He’s got his girls Porches for their first cars.

'That doesn’t fit the profile of a person who lives in this neighborhood.

'I mean the Porsche dealer comes and brings cars by, and tries to sell him cars at his house. I’ve seen it happen. He likes to be the big shot. He’s a big fish in a little pond.

'His brother can afford a Colts Neck place on a piece of land. [Paul]’s a big shot in an upper-middle class neighborhood,' he said.

Brother of murdered New Jersey millionaire Keith Caneiro is charged with arson | Daily Mail Online

I really feel for Paul’s wife and daughters if all this (and more) is true. I’m sure the girls would gladly give up their Porsches and the wife her lifestyle to have Keith’s family still with them. I can’t imagine what they are going through today. And if Keith and Paul’s parents and Jennifer’s are still alive (very likely)...my heart goes out to them. Such a loss. :(

I wonder if the brothers' business was a partnership - LLC type or whatever. It doesn't sound like they were in a true business partnership, but if that is so, that might have some bearing on the activities of the living partner.

I really feel for Paul’s wife and daughters if all this (and more) is true. I’m sure the girls would gladly give up their Porsches and the wife her lifestyle to have Keith’s family still with them. I can’t imagine what they are going through today. And if Keith and Paul’s parents and Jennifer’s are still alive (very likely)...my heart goes out to them. Such a loss. :(
Paul’s wife & girls must be terrified. I can’t imagine.

How horrific. Sometimes these guys go to this extreme to hide a secret. It will be interesting to find out if Paul embezzled from the company. And that it was close to being discovered.

How horrific. Sometimes these guys go to this extreme to hide a secret. It will be interesting to find out if Paul embezzled from the company. And that it was close to being discovered.
Year-end and its requirements are coming right up for all businesses. You may have put a finger on part or all of this mystery.
I do wonder what type of access he had to money or other of-value instruments in the business. Just a thought with no reason specific to this case -- many embezzlers start small, promise themselves that they will pay it back and make lists of what needs to be replaced or paid back. Payday comes and they just can't give up that money to repay what they "owe." Then it just gets bigger and becomes impossible to make it right. I was in commercial banking for several years, and I remember a couple of embezzlements that started and continued just as I just described. Good people who got in a bind and it just bowled them over. And, of course, they were caught -- but nothing like what this may turn out to be.

Year-end and its requirements are coming right up for all businesses. You may have put a finger on part or all of this mystery.
I do wonder what type of access he had to money or other of-value instruments in the business. Just a thought with no reason specific to this case -- many embezzlers start small, promise themselves that they will pay it back and make lists of what needs to be replaced or paid back. Payday comes and they just can't give up that money to repay what they "owe." Then it just gets bigger and becomes impossible to make it right. I was in commercial banking for several years, and I remember a couple of embezzlements that started and continued just as I just described. Good people who got in a bind and it just bowled them over. And, of course, they were caught -- but nothing like what this may turn out to be.
I wonder if the timing before Thanksgiving means anything. Maybe an extended family gathering included a family meeting as well? IDK, just guessing.

jmo

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobbieJ
Back