NJ - Multiple Deaths in Mansion Fire, Monmouth County, Colts Neck, 20 Nov 2018 *Arrest*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
COLTS NECK, NJ — The lawyer who represents Paul Caneiro, the man accused of setting his own house on fire with his wife and adult daughters inside Tuesday, Nov. 20, says his client is innocent of the current and possible future charges – a possible reference to the murder of his brother, wife and children in their Colts Neck estate that same day. The Colts Neck home was also set on fire.

"My client is innocent," said Rob Honecker, a partner in the well-known New Jersey law firm of Ansell, Grimm and Aaron. Honecker told other media outlets Caneiro's wife, Susan, and his daughters, both in their 20s, stand "in support" of their father. Patch asked him to elaborate on that:

"In the criminal complaint, his family is listed as the intended victims. But they firmly believe that he actually saved them," said Honecker. "He was the one who woke them up and get them out of the house."

"In the criminal complaint, his family is listed as the intended victims. But they firmly believe that he actually saved them," said Honecker. "He was the one who woke them up and get them out of the house."

Caneiro allegedly started two fires at his and wife Susan Caneiro's home at 27 Tilton Drive in Ocean Twp. at 5:01 a.m. Tuesday. One fire was started in the rear of the home, and a second, smaller one was started at the attached garage door. Susan and the daughters were sleeping, but Paul woke them all up and got them out of the house, his lawyer said.

In fact, it was sitting in Ocean Twp. police headquarters that officials broke the news to Paul that his brother, brother's wife and their two children were killed in that fire.

"He was devastated," said his lawyer. "They all were, his wife, his whole family there with him when they heard that news. Crying, you name it."

Brother's Lawyer In Colts Neck Murders: 'He's Devastated'

Last edited:
Colts Neck fire: Family of victim's brother, Paul Caneiro, may testify for him

According to the above article someone started a for the PC family.
If you can buy your children Porsches and build an extravagant deck, why don’t you have any money to find a place to live? And wasn’t the PC house attic damaged? I don’t remember reading the PC house was a total loss. Did I miss that?

When I saw the headline “Mansion Murders” when this happened in Colts Neck, my brain immediately wondered it the perp had been following the trial of Daron Wint, who was found guilty of the S murders and VF. Too familiar.

JMO

If you can buy your children Porsches and build an extravagant deck, why don’t you have any money to find a place to live? And wasn’t the PC house attic damaged? I don’t remember reading the PC house was a total loss. Did I miss that?

When I saw the headline “Mansion Murders” when this happened in Colts Neck, my brain immediately wondered it the perp had been following the trial of Daron Wint, who was found guilty of the S murders and VF. Too familiar.

JMO
My mind went to the D.C. mansion murders/fire too. I wondered if this perp followed that case.

jmo

As of Friday afternoon, Nov. 23, here is the absolute latest as to where we are in the stunning Colts Neck quadruple homicide investigation:

Wednesday evening:
Detectives are finally given the OK to enter 15 Willow Brook Road in Colts Neck. They have been working there tirelessly day and night ever since.

5 p.m. Wednesday, Thanksgiving eve: The community of Colts Neck holds a vigil at Colts Neck town hall for the Caneiro family. Many in attendance are crying and have brought photos of the Caneiro couple and their children.

Thursday, Nov. 22: The lawyer for Paul Caneiro, Robert A. Honecker Jr., talks to several media outlets on Thanksgiving day. He said that his client is innocent of setting the fire at his own home, and that his wife and daughters have been supportive of him since he was arrested. He also said that Paul, 51, "loved" his younger brother, Keith, 50, "They were best friends. And he would not do his brother any harm," Honecker told the New York Times. There were no serious issues brewing between them, he said, and nothing wrong in the two companies the brothers owned and managed together, Square One, a tech firm, and EcoStar Pest Management, which both operated out of the same building on Cookman Avenue in Asbury Park.

Friday, Nov. 23: Investigators remain at the Colts Neck home, and are also seen non-stop at Tilton Drive, looking for evidence. A Monmouth County sheriff's officer can be seen blocking traffic from Rt. 34 in Colts Neck onto Willow Brook Road.

Wednesday, Nov. 28: A detention hearing (when a judge decides if bail will be set, and how much) is set for Paul Caneiro for 9 a.m. next Wednesday. That means he remains at the Monmouth County jail in Freehold on Thanksgiving and through the weekend. That is an unusually long period to hold someone before their bail hearing.

The Colts Neck Quadruple Murder: A Timeline Of Tragic Events

JMO

One of the obvious motives for this crime would be financial. PC is not helping his case any by his supporters declaring he is in dire straits. How could there be no money for toothbrushes?? Plus homeowners insurance usually allows for a motel/ hotel for a couple of days at least. WTAH was going on here? Yes, funerals for the four relatives would be expensive but the Go Fund me is not even asking for help with that. More than likely, that Go fund me is to pay the lawyer.

One of the obvious motives for this crime would be financial. PC is not helping his case any by his supporters declaring he is in dire straits. How could there be no money for toothbrushes?? Plus homeowners insurance usually allows for a motel/ hotel for a couple of days at least. WTAH was going on here? Yes, funerals for the four relatives would be expensive but the Go Fund me is not even asking for help with that. More than likely, that Go fund me is to pay the lawyer.

And if the PC family doesn’t have money to buy dog food they must be in dire straits.
Why not sell the Porsches?

JMO and what I read on the GFMe site.

And if the PC family doesn’t have money to buy dog food they must be in dire straits.
Why not sell the Porsches?

JMO and what I read on the GFMe site.

Exactly, not having money for dog food really burned me up. Sell your cars, sell your clothes. Plus, even though arson is claimed, since SC is also an owner and considered a victim, insurance would have to cover and then seek indemnification if Paul is found guilty of arson.

I get that tragedies happen and these are unforeseen expenses, but living beyond one’s means to the point you can’t afford a toothbrush in an emergency really pushes the limits of sympathy. And as I said earlier, it supports an overall desperate financial motive. Just so disheartening that these things happen.

I would rather this have been a stranger hit than done by a family member. It breaks my heart that your blood could decide to do this one day. Was there any warning I wonder. Do we all need to worry about our financially strapped relatives??

JMO

Exactly, not having money for dog food really burned me up. Sell your cars, sell your clothes. Plus, even though arson is claimed, since SC is also an owner and considered a victim, insurance would have to cover and then seek indemnification if Paul is found guilty of arson.

I get that tragedies happen and these are unforeseen expenses, but living beyond one’s means to the point you can’t afford a toothbrush in an emergency really pushes the limits of sympathy. And as I said earlier, it supports an overall desperate financial motive. Just so disheartening that these things happen.

I would rather this have been a stranger hit than done by a family member. It breaks my heart that your blood could decide to do this one day. Was there any warning I wonder. Do we all need to worry about our financially strapped relatives??

JMO

Is it possible their bank accounts were frozen because of the investigation? You would think one of them would have a credit card to pay for dog food and toothbrushes.

Last edited:
IMO, grandiose gestures like that are often reflective of someone who has an overinflated sense of self-importance. IMO, it doesn't come from a spirit of generosity and altruism...more from a need to one-up everyone else and give the appearance of superiority. Over-compensation. JMO, but to me it screams personality disorder.
I lived in that part of NJ when I was 13-17 and a Lot of the kids got really expensive, new cars. And a lot of the fathers were in the mafia. One father bought his daughter And best friend Ferraris. So of course I got 7 Corvettes. Okay, I didn't; what I really got was my dad's Oldsmobile Delta 88 aka a hearse! Haha!

If he has a good private lawyer, instead of a public defender, doesn’t that mean that they are not considered to be destitute. The cars will most likely be sold if the case drags out.

Last edited:
I find it incredibly bizarre that Paul gave his daughters Porsches for their birthdays. Even affluent people don’t do that. It’s just a brazen way to show off.
For the helluvit I just checked for new 2018 Porches -- of course they have quite a range --

Macan....................$ 48,850 a small hatchback
Boxter....................$ 58,450 the one we see often
Macan Turbo.........$ 78,250 same little hatchback but w/a turbo
911..........................$ 92,150 another familiar model
---- several others, each increasing in price to top of the line
911nGT2 RS..........$294,250 damn

So the Macan hatchback w/o turbo would be not extremely ridiculous, but then you must take it to x2 for both daughters.
Another damn.
----------------------------------------​
2018 Porsche Cars | Models and Prices | Car and Driver

The is startling imo. Living a lavish lifestyle with no plan B screams motive here imo.

COLTS NECK, NJ — The lawyer who represents Paul Caneiro, the man accused of setting his own house on fire with his wife and adult daughters inside Tuesday, Nov. 20, says his client is innocent of the current and possible future charges – a possible reference to the murder of his brother, wife and children in their Colts Neck estate that same day. The Colts Neck home was also set on fire.

"My client is innocent," said Rob Honecker, a partner in the well-known New Jersey law firm of Ansell, Grimm and Aaron. Honecker told other media outlets Caneiro's wife, Susan, and his daughters, both in their 20s, stand "in support" of their father. Patch asked him to elaborate on that:

Caneiro allegedly started two fires at his and wife Susan Caneiro's home at 27 Tilton Drive in Ocean Twp. at 5:01 a.m. Tuesday. One fire was started in the rear of the home, and a second, smaller one was started at the attached garage door. Susan and the daughters were sleeping, but Paul woke them all up and got them out of the house, his lawyer said.

In fact, it was sitting in Ocean Twp. police headquarters that officials broke the news to Paul that his brother, brother's wife and their two children were killed in that fire.

"He was devastated," said his lawyer. "They all were, his wife, his whole family there with him when they heard that news. Crying, you name it."

Brother's Lawyer In Colts Neck Murders: 'He's Devastated'
Hold up. Why did he go to the police station? Did they ask him to come in for further questioning? Did he ask to go make an arson report there? That’s a heck of an alibi.

MOO but I found the wording of the initial articles somewhat odd stating he was “present at the home shortly after the fire”. A hypothetical timeline could have been an early am trip to the brother’s to homicide & start fire, then back to his house & start fires, wake his family & be the hero. But the fire at brother’s house didn’t catch hold for a while.

Hypothetical MOO

The is startling imo. Living a lavish lifestyle with no plan B screams motive here imo.

We had a family like that in our area a few years back when the economy took a big downturn. The father shot his kids, his wife, and himself; it turned out they were leveraged to the max, had credit card debt in the six figures, and the wife had been going to a food pantry in a town 30 miles away where she wasn't known to feed the family.

Last edited:
I don’t think they’d arrest PC for arson on his own house without good reason, but he’s smart to deny everything. The burden of proof is on the state. It will be interesting to see what happens in court on Wednesday. I expect murder charges and I’m sure LE is working around the clock gathering evidence.
I wonder, though, if arson of your own property could be tied to insurance fraud -- not saying that arson & fraud are the same, not at all -- that is, if you put in a homeowner's insurance claim for fire damage. If one did put in a claim, then possible arson should be ruled out -- but seems like LE/Fire investigators would have to examine it before an ins. claim was filed. :confused:
---------------------------------------
Statute
New Jersey Statutes 2C:17-1 (Arson)

Elements of the Crime
Arson in the first degree: Arson for hire or a house of worship target.
Second Degree Arson/Aggravated Arson: This applies where an individual starts a fire or causes an explosion (whether on his/her property or another person's) and the individual did at least one of the following:
[... skipped the list due to 10% copyright TOS ...]

Arson in the third degree: When an individual purposely starts a fire or causes an explosion that recklessly endangers a building or a person (death or bodily injury).

Arson in the fourth degree: When an individual has a contractual or legal duty to prevent a fire knows that a fire is endangering life or property, but fails to either put out the fire or warn others.
[...]
Penalties
[... I skipped 1st Degree Arson penalties -- not appropriate to this case...]
Second degree arson or aggravated arson: Punishable by a prison term ranging from 5-10 years.

• Aggravated arson is subject to the No Early Release Act (NERT), a sentencing provision in which the convicted defendant is required to serve a minimum term of 85% of the judge-imposed sentence.
Third degree arson: Punishable by a prison term of 5 years.

Fourth degree arson: Punishable by 18 months in prison.
---------------------------------

New Jersey Arson Laws - FindLaw

Last edited:
It is also possible that the wife and daughters had no direct access to funds themselves. We do not know if PC controlled all of that. He strikes me as the type that might be "my money, I control it" type. She may have had like a "budget" with a debit card for that which he controlled. Obviously since they are still supporting him if that's the case they wouldn't come out and say that.... Some wives in these types of situations don't even know how to pay the bills when something unexpected happens. They don't know what bills there are, how to pay them, anything. It's very sad.

I can’t believe this ! Greed on top of greed telling friends they have nothing. And it does scream motive to be caught with no resources at all in this emergency. Surely the police could go into the house and retrieve some items for them? The house wasn’t destroyed. I wonder if PC has insurance or chose not to spend his money on it.
ETA: Or as Borndem pointed out, perhaps they can’t access insurance if there is an arson charge pending.

OT—My husband’s hardworking cousin and his wife just lost their modest home and everything they own in the Camp Fire in Paradise, CA. They have turned down repeated offers of help from a multitude of friends and family because they have excellent insurance. Instead, they are asking that the help be given to others who were less fortunate. That’s class!

(Many insurance companies have pulled out of that area of CA in the past few years, so it’s not for lack of trying that some weren’t insured.)
The Hartford is latest insurer to pull out of Magalia, Paradise

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
one that lived it
Back