NJ NJ - Quinton Twp, Jericho Rd, WhtMale 16-22, UP1526, matches -Tolz Realty in Cape May, Jun'79

About 20 minute drive north of Quinton Township (which is in Salem County) was Camp Pedricktown, part of which is still in use today by the army, but much of it is shut down and abandoned (still standing). The closure was ordered in I believe early nineties, but the installation would have been in full swing and quite active in the late 70s. Air Force had involvement there, too, and it became important in terms of aerospace defense, there was a DoD radar station there, I think. I would wonder if this young man didn't have some connection with that base, maybe visiting someone, maybe stationed there, maybe out exploring on a weekend leave. A lot of military love to explore the areas surrounding the place where they are stationed. Perhaps he ran into someone while he was out exploring, or perhaps he was traveling with someone in the area. I could definitely picture two young men stationed at a military installation going together to Atlantic City. Whoever the someone was that he was with may have used the spot where the victim was found as a dump site and killed him elsewhere. If he was stationed at Camp Pedricktown, they might have figured he had simply taken off and tried to locate him more for disciplinary purposes. He may have been from another state entirely (although the horn makes me wonder)

Just noting, Salem Cty NJ is very far west and more south, it's down past Philadelphia. The only Belleville NJ I'm seeing on a map is far north of that. I'm guessing there's another very small Belleville not showing up in Salem County, too.
RIP

Last edited:
And also, on the matchbook, not too many young guys would have money to be seeing an actual realtor, even back then. So I'd think this young guy had money, and guys that are stationed in these camps/bases often like to get housing off base, and they'd be likely to go through a realtor because they have the money but probably don't have the time or interest to shop through classifieds. And a lot of them are looking for homes, too, even in the relatively short-term.

About 20 minute drive north of Quinton Township (which is in Salem County) was Camp Pedricktown, part of which is still in use today by the army, but much of it is shut down and abandoned (still standing). The closure was ordered in I believe early nineties, but the installation would have been in full swing and quite active in the late 70s. Air Force had involvement there, too, and it became important in terms of aerospace defense, there was a DoD radar station there, I think. I would wonder if this young man didn't have some connection with that base, maybe visiting someone, maybe stationed there, maybe out exploring on a weekend leave. A lot of military love to explore the areas surrounding the place where they are stationed. Perhaps he ran into someone while he was out exploring, or perhaps he was traveling with someone in the area. I could definitely picture two young men stationed at a military installation going together to Atlantic City. Whoever the someone was that he was with may have used the spot where the victim was found as a dump site and killed him elsewhere. If he was stationed at Camp Pedricktown, they might have figured he had simply taken off and tried to locate him more for disciplinary purposes. He may have been from another state entirely (although the horn makes me wonder)
RSBM
This is what Wikipedia brings up for Camp Pedricktown

I see people noting on social media that they were living there in camp/base housing in the 70s.

Also found this (good images in this).

Last edited:
If he's not in a database (and all these decades later, I would think he's not but definitely could be wrong),why not? Maybe the military aspect, they thought he just took off, plus not terribly close with family. Or runaway? Hitchhiker? JMO, he was killed by at least one other male, they'd have to drag the body around, and I'm wondering if the person had a truck depending on how "shallow" the "shallow grave" was, I doubt they dug by hand. I also doubt the killer's local, a local killer would probably know better how to avoid hunting areas (would assume hunters found him), and especially out in the middle of a rural area with a lot of woods like that, the killer probably could have found a more secure place to conceal the body if he knew the area. And if the victim was never put in a database, I'd think (again, could be wrong) the victim's not local either. Maybe from NJ, but not this local. Would a military guy have "pot," "meth" and so forth on his cigarette box? Maybe back in the early 70s, when they were taking surveys of enlisted and a shockingly high percentage of them were using illegal drugs. Plus he's not on the base with the box, so maybe. If a hitchhiker/runaway, did some murderer/SK pick him up and simply find some secluded spot in the woods and kill him there? Again, if that's an SK, I would think they'd probably have concealed the body more thoroughly, but they don't always. See that Randall Brosius is already excluded, after looking through Namus, he'd have been my guess with the wool pea coat.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
soraxtm
Back