Deceased/Not Found NJ - Sarah Stern, 19, Neptune City, 2 Dec 2016 #3 *Guilty*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Published 3 hours ago |
Updated 2 minutes ago
“The former high school classmate of a 19-year-old New Jersey student convicted of strangling her and throwing her body off a bridge -- with the help of the young woman's one-time prom date -- was sentenced to life without parole, plus 10 years, on Friday.

Liam McAtasney, 21, was found guilty of all charges, including murder and robbery, in the December 2016 death of his childhood friend Sarah Stern, a case that shocked the community where they grew up and chilled the nation.

Stern's body was never found.

[SBM]

McAtasney chose not to take the stand on his own behalf at trial.“ (BBM)
Friend Who Killed 19-Year-Old New Jersey Student Sarah Stern Gets Life Without Parole -- Plus 10 Years

ETA:
“The judge imposed a consecutive 10-year term for disposing of the victim’s body.”
Sarah Stern murder: Killer McAtasney sentenced to spend his life in prison

Published 3 hours ago |
Updated 2 minutes ago
“The former high school classmate of a 19-year-old New Jersey student convicted of strangling her and throwing her body off a bridge -- with the help of the young woman's one-time prom date -- was sentenced to life without parole, plus 10 years, on Friday.

Liam McAtasney, 21, was found guilty of all charges, including murder and robbery, in the December 2016 death of his childhood friend Sarah Stern, a case that shocked the community where they grew up and chilled the nation.

Stern's body was never found.

[SBM]

McAtasney chose not to take the stand on his own behalf at trial.“ (BBM)
Friend Who Killed 19-Year-Old New Jersey Student Sarah Stern Gets Life Without Parole -- Plus 10 Years

ETA:
“The judge imposed a consecutive 10-year term for disposing of the victim’s body.”

Threw the book at him. Love it.

"McAtasney declined to say anything prior to being sentenced."

“He has no remorse. His tears today are fake and in nothing else, insulting," said Meghan Doyle, the prosecutor who represented the state. “Maybe he’s scared, maybe he’s sorry he got caught, but there’s no remorse.”

"Taylor pleaded guilty to six charges involving robbery and the treatment of human remains and is scheduled to be sentenced next week. (English said Friday Taylor “folded faster than anybody I’ve ever seen,” something McAtasney did not anticipate.)

“Any murder is a serious thing and it’s a sad thing, but the way this happened in a small community of people who knew each other, that’s why it makes it even more so," English said."

Sarah Stern’s childhood friend sentenced to life without parole for killing her, throwing her off N.J. bridge

Mr. Sterns words today... breaks my heart

Judge Richard W. English talks about Anthony Curry, Preston Taylor and Liam McAtasney (video)

Sarah Stern murder: Judge English shares thoughtsSarah Stern murder: Judge English shares thoughts
Judge English of Anthony Curry:
“He showed heart, he showed compassion in a difficult situation, because it was his friend.”

The vast majority of people, if placed in Mr. Curry’s shoes, would have stayed silent out of fear or even loyalty, IMO.

During an interview with “20/20,” “he said [before he went to the police with what he knew] he didn’t feel like his life was in danger,” but “his family's safety could be,” explaining “‘If somebody is capable of doing that, he could try to hurt my family or somebody I knew ... kid’s wacko.’”

But in the same interview, he also shared he and McAtasney has become “close friends” and that “he ‘practically lived’ at McAtasney’s house and that they hung out together often.”
Filmmaker on why he helped cops record friend confessing to murder

I’m very thankful for what Mr. Curry did for Sarah and his family (her dad, especially). I am also glad that he was able to be in the courtroom yesterday.

B7B56052-86A3-4901-9BBA-E3D9B3903885.jpeg

Last edited:

McAtasney almost looked defeated at times but still showed no remorse, IMO.

For the most part, he looked angry, IMO.

Maybe reality is finally setting in. None of his family were at the sentencing, including his mother. Not even his defense attorney was there, which surprised me greatly. McAtasney actually looked kind of lonely as he stood in front of Judge English, IMO, and I am perfectly fine with that.

I’m just so glad that justice has been served in this particularly tragic case. It’s a small consolation, but at least he will never be able to hurt another soul.

May peace be with Sarah and Mr. Stern.

46CCA467-2647-49EE-AEE2-56329446E3A2.jpeg E1425F8F-3181-42BE-9EF2-E65FEE1AED67.jpeg C232FADE-E2C0-4809-80FD-C4EA9BE99BB7.jpeg

Thank you Judge English and Meghan Doyle for restoring justice for Sarah and hopefully peace for Michael.

Wonder if, despite how wacko the mom acted on tv a few months ago, if reality finally set in for the family to not attend. It is clear by the tears (which, make no mistake, are for himself) that reality set in for himself. Not even narcissism could stop him from seeing the inevitable at this point.

Going back to the beginning - there was a user in the first thread who attended the searches, knew a lot about the area writing some well thoughtout ideas, and described an emt/lifeguard background very similar to him. Considering the user never logged in again, it wouldn’t surprise me if the perp was posting.

Last edited:
Friday, June 28th:
*Sentencing Hearing (@ 9am ET) - NJ - Sarah Stern (19) (Dec. 2, 2016, Neptune City; not found) – Only for *Preston Taylor (19) faces up to 20 years in state prison and is subject to the No Early Release Act. (Was facing up to life in prison on the felony murder charge and 51 years for the additional charges). He pleaded guilty (4/27/17) to 1st degree robbery, 2nd degree conspiracy to commit robbery, 2nd degree distributing or desecrating human remains, 2 counts of 3rd degree hindering apprehension & 4th degree tampering with physical evidence.
Will be sentenced on June 14. Sentencing has been postponed due to motions filed by McAtasney’s defense. Sentencing to 6/28.
*Liam McAtasney (21/19 @ time of crime) – Found guilty (2/26/19) on all counts. Sentenced (6/21/19) to life without parole, plus 10 years. Judge English denied (5/24/19) defense’s motion for new trial.

“[SBM]

Before Preston Taylor learned his punishment for his role in the 19-year-old Neptune City woman’s demise, the 22-year-old Neptune man apologized for taking part in the deadly scheme with former roommate Liam McAtasney, [Sarah] Stern’s childhood friend, who was found guilty in February of her murder.

‘So many things about this scenario I wish I could take back,’ Taylor said. ‘I should have known better and done something to stop this and I wish more than anything I had. I’m sorry.’

Michael Stern, Sarah’s father, got up and walked out of the courtroom as Taylor was about to speak and returned when he was finished speaking.

Superior Court Judge Richard W. English ordered Taylor to serve 85 percent of the sentence before he can be considered for release on parole.

[SBM]

[Liam] McAtasney and Taylor were arrested Feb. 1, 2017, a day after [Anthony] Curry met with McAtasney on Ocean Avenue in Bradley Beach and secretly recorded McAtasney confessing chilling details of strangling Stern and, with Taylor’s help, throwing her body off the bridge.

Following his arrest, Taylor immediately cooperated with authorities.

On April 21, 2017, Taylor took a plea bargain and agreed to testify against McAtasney, with whom he had shared a cottage in Neptune City at the time Stern went missing.

In pleading guilty to robbery, conspiracy to commit robbery, desecrating Stern’s remains, conspiring to desecrate her remains, and hindering his and McAtasney’s apprehension, Taylor admitted that he and his roommate had planned for months to rob Stern of the large amount of cash she had found in a shoe box in a house her family owns in Avon.

[SBM]

Taylor said he took part in the scheme for a promise of $3,000 of the $10,000 McAtasney had stolen from Stern, money he said he never received.

[SBM]

When Taylor entered his guilty plea, prosecutors said they would recommend he receive a 20-year prison term. They promised not to prosecute him for felony murder if he cooperated fully in the case and testified truthfully against McAtasney.

Before Taylor was sentenced, his attorney, John Perrone of Long Branch, asked the judge to impose a 10-year prison term, saying McAtasney may never have been convicted of Stern’s murder without Taylor’s cooperation.

Christopher Decker, assistant Monmouth County prosecutor, asked the judge to impose a term of 15 to 20 years, saying that although Taylor cooperated with authorities, he could have stopped Stern’s murder and didn’t.

‘There’s nothing to excuse his conduct,’ he said.

Michael Stern asked that Taylor get the full 20-year term.

‘He took Sarah’s lifeless body and moved it not once, not twice, but three times and dumped it in the Shark River,’ Michael Stern said of Taylor. ‘No words can be said to anybody who does anything like this to someone’s child.’

[SBM]”
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.app.com/amp/1551717001

Sarah Stern killer Liam McAtasney sentenced to life in prison

Stern’s father Michael Stern spoke during the sentencing hearing and told McAtasney how he has suffered since his daughter disappeared.

“Since the day my daughter went missing, I’ve had horrific dreams and nightmares. I’ve been unable to get meaningful sleep since Sarah went missing. Many days I can’t function at all,” Michael Stern said.

No one spoke on McAtasney’s behalf during the hearing. He was seen getting emotional at times.

“This just ends the last chapter in the book that is the notorious killer that Liam McAtasney is. He’ll go down in history as one of Monmouth County’s most heinous killers,” says Monmouth County Prosecutor Christopher Gramiccioni. “I will personally say that I am heartened to see that he’s never going to see the light of day.”

Preston Taylor – McAtasney’s roommate, as well as a former classmate to Stern – helped to dispose of Stern’s body. He pleaded guilty and testified for the prosecution. He is expected to be sentenced June 28 and could receive up to 20 years in prison.

McAtasney’s attorney says that he plans to file an appeal.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
psychesleuth
Back