Deceased/Not Found NJ - Sarah Stern, 19, Neptune City, 2 Dec 2016 *Arrests* #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
To offer support ...or to try and look for his missing phone.

Poor Sarah, never had a chance, so sad.

Sources involved in the investigation say two safe deposit boxes containing valuables taken from the Stern home were recovered. One was hidden in Sandy Hook, the other in Shark River Park.
Investigators have not said if the suspects confessed to the locations of the boxes, or if they learned of their locations through other means.

http://newjersey.news12.com/news/new-evidence-uncovered-in-sarah-stern-case-1.13066925

If those boxes were hidden, I'm guessing LE were shown exactly where they were located.

Thanks for this question. I've been confused by this too, as I had read somewhere that surveillance showed her leaving her home alone.

Thanks for this question. I've been confused by this too, as I had read somewhere that surveillance showed her leaving her home alone.
First post here, but I've been following this disappearance from the beginning.

I am confused by the timeline and when Sarah was last seen. I believe there was a video from a neighbors surveillance camera, that showed Sarah getting in the car and leaving her home around 11:45 pm the night that her car was found on the bridge. Wasn't the abandoned car reported on the bridge around 2:45 am? So about a 3 hour timespan.

Did she return home? Is there no video of this? Is there no video of two people loading a third body into her car? I'm sure there is an explanation for this, but if she was seen leaving her house that late, and she was killed in her home, then she must have come back at some point. Why no video of that?

I live 4 towns South of Belmar...about 12 minutes away. This afternoon my 27 y o son and I drove over the Rt 35 Bridge; we just can't quite believe that she really was thrown over that bridge. This is an area where after midnight there would be a GREAT likelihood of police patrolling or someone seeing something. A lot of people are out late; there are condos on the marina side of the bridge that look right over to the bridge; there is another bridge parallel to the 35 Bridge, not far away at all; there are restaurants and bars within a block of the bottom of the bridge; the NJ transit train line runs parallel to the bridge. In other words, you couldn't pick a more visible spot if you tried. It is outrageous that no cameras were working on the bridge, but there are lots of lights. After driving over the bridge, I really think another injustice has been done to Sarah and her Dad; I think these boys are lying about where they left her. They may have discarded the car there....which would be far easier to do than lifting a body out and throwing it over the side of the bridge. It would still be risky to drop the car, with the lights and the possibility of a cop rolling up or the cameras catching something....but they could have done that quickly. You'd have to know this area. I just don't see two boys doing this no matter what time of night. Not there. They wanted to throw things off by putting suicide in the minds of law enforcement. And I am sure they were eager to dispose of DNA evidence. But it would be easier to put her body in water elsewhere than it would be to do it there.

I live 4 towns South of Belmar...about 12 minutes away. This afternoon my 27 y o son and I drove over the Rt 35 Bridge; we just can't quite believe that she really was thrown over that bridge. This is an area where after midnight there would be a GREAT likelihood of police patrolling or someone seeing something. A lot of people are out late; there are condos on the marina side of the bridge that look right over to the bridge; there is another bridge parallel to the 35 Bridge, not far away at all; there are restaurants and bars within a block of the bottom of the bridge; the NJ transit train line runs parallel to the bridge. In other words, you couldn't pick a more visible spot if you tried. It is outrageous that no cameras were working on the bridge, but there are lots of lights. After driving over the bridge, I really think another injustice has been done to Sarah and her Dad; I think these boys are lying about where they left her. They may have discarded the car there....which would be far easier to do than lifting a body out and throwing it over the side of the bridge. It would still be risky to drop the car, with the lights and the possibility of a cop rolling up or the cameras catching something....but they could have done that quickly. You'd have to know this area. I just don't see two boys doing this no matter what time of night. Not there. They wanted to throw things off by putting suicide in the minds of law enforcement. And I am sure they were eager to dispose of DNA evidence. But it would be easier to put her body in water elsewhere than it would be to do it there.

Wow. Thanks for posting this. Really interesting read.

Wow. Thank You for bring this issue up. Very interesting thoughts.

So why would they not want her remains to be found? I suppose because it is harder to prosecute a murder with no body.

But it also makes one wonder if there are further injuries that they do not want discovered?

Thank you for the first hand account of the bridge's visibility. This is what I was trying to get at above with choosing to bury the 2 safe deposit boxes in 2 different parks. Were they at the park to dispose of SS? I can see needing help if you are digging, but I'm not convinced LM would've need PT to help throw her from the bridge. But he would've needed a ride. IMO, taking her car to the bridge was to make it appear that she had jumped, so searches would be limited to that area. But the family would have to notice the safety deposit boxes were missing from the home, thus indicating some sort of foul play. The time line below says that SS was last seen at her home there afternoon of 12-2, I believe that's also around the time her father lost contact with her. If something happened that afternoon, it opens the window much wider for where they could've taken SS before returning to stage her car late that evening. JMO

http://www.nj.com/monmouth/index.ssf/2017/02/timeline_of_the_disappearance_and_killing_of_sarah.html

Something just doesn't seem right. Why bury the safe deposit boxes? I am assuming they were home fire safes or lock boxes not bank safe deposit boxes. So they could have been any generic box. Why not just throw them in a dumpster or off the bridge?

Why did she withdraw the money? Where does the withdrawal fit in the timeline? Did she withdrawal the money to loan to LM then change her mind and that's why he killed her? I could see such a situation happening where he told her it was for one thing and then she found out it was for another. Maybe he needed a Heroin Fix or Maybe a gambling debt. Being young maybe he thought a bookie was going to kill him, but bookies don't usually kill clients, it is counter productive.

Are the police sure Sarah was killed at the house? Is there any evidence other than a statement from one of the two? Could she have been killed elsewhere? There is video surveillance of her leaving hours before her car was found, but no mention of her returning, or the two punks leaving?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I am local and this makes a lot of sense. As OP said, you'd have to know the area...

Sandy Hook is federal property and is also heavily, very heavily monitored by cameras. I cannot imagine hiding something there, and all license plates are automatically captured upon entry. However, there is a high school out there...MAST, and historical sites, and beaches, and a small museum, and a very large Coast Guard command post is there.

My heart breaks for Sarah's father. In this clip, he stated that he feels a 3rd person or others may be involved and that these 2 misled from the very get go with their lies and deceit. He also noted that information seems to be coming more freely since their arrests. I pray he gets the truthful answers and they are able to find Sarah. Does anyone else think it's odd they would choose not one (but two) public parks to bury the safe deposit boxes? It just makes me wonder if throwing her off the bridge was just a ruse, knowing it would be near impossible to recover her and the search would not take place somewhere else. Hopefully cameras were able to confirm this is really what occurred. JMO

19 years old. These young men therefore should have been in college or working. Anyone know anything beyond just the high school?

Nineteen-year-old Liam McAtasney, of Neptune City, was charged Thursday with Stern's murder. Nineteen-year-old Preston Taylor, also of Neptune City, is charged with helping dump Stern's body.

Michael Stern says Taylor took his daughter to the prom.

http://pix11.com/2017/02/03/search-...s-body-lifelong-friends-charged-in-her-death/

I am local and this makes a lot of sense. As OP said, you'd have to know the area...
I agree. I know that bridge and area well. I am wondering if they put her in the water off the end of Sandy Hook..It's deep and very rough there.

Very early on, wasn't it said that she was last seen by her grandmother, whose car she borrowed at 11:45 pm? Was her grandmother in the home at the time? Or was that bad reporting?

ETA:

http://www.nj.com/monmouth/index.ssf...river_home_pop
Sarah Stern left her family's home at 11:45 p.m. Friday driving her grandmother's 1994 Oldsmobile Eighty-Eight Royal, said her father Michael Stern. The car was found parked on the Route 35 Bridge around 2:45 a.m. Saturday

I live about 5 blocks from this bridge, njdna is correct, it is a busy bridge, however I have gone over this bridge many times in the early morning hours, for work, and have been the only person on the bridge, especially in the off season, Oct through April.. At the top of the bridge you can see traffic both ways for a pretty good distance, so it's not impossible to drop something off there with planning or another person as a lookout. Not a smart thing to do, but not impossible

I live about 5 blocks from this bridge, njdna is correct, it is a busy bridge, however I have gone over this bridge many times in the early morning hours, for work, and have been the only person on the bridge, especially in the off season, Oct through April.. At the top of the bridge you can see traffic both ways for a pretty good distance, so it's not impossible to drop something off there with planning or another person as a lookout. Not a smart thing to do, but not impossible

They may have been driving around for hours waiting for a moment when there was no one in sight to drop her. If one boy is driving and the other is in the back with the body, they can stop jump out and heave very quickly. Sarah was not a big person and both boys appear to be pretty athletic. I wouldn't be surprised if stopping and heaving the body over the bridge took no more than maybe 15 seconds if they had planned out how they were going to do it.

Frankly, I don't know if the whole truth will ever come out about what was going through their minds that night, but this seems to me to be a situation where at least LM might have been high on meth or coke or some stimulant or possibly blackout drunk and looking for money for more. Their (mostly his) actions don't seem to make any sense at all in any rational way, and my guess is that he was acting irrationally due to some sort of drug stupor. That's not meant to excuse it in any way, he still deserves murder 1 regardless of his mental state, but just what seems like the most plausible motive (to me).

whoa. anyone think for one second that SS is not dead after all? I just don't know what to think anymore with the additional details coming out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper