NJ - Sarah Stern, 19, Neptune City, 2 Dec 2016 *Arrests* #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
From Asbury Park Press:
Sarah Stern's accused killer on the docket
Liam McAtasney, accused of the murder of Sarah Stern, is scheduled to appear for an arraignment.

http://www.app.com/story/news/local/courts/2017/05/15/sarah-sterns-accused-killer-docket/322112001/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

McAtasney is scheduled to appear before Superior Court Judge Richard W. English in Monmouth County at 9 a.m.

http://www.nj.com/monmouth/index.ssf/2017/05/teen_accused_of_strangling_sarah_stern_to_appear_i.html

McAtasney pleaded not guilty today to murder and six other charges.

Defense attorney Charles Moriarty entered the not-guilty plea on behalf of his client.

http://www.app.com/story/news/local...r-liam-mcatasney-pleads-not-guilty/322341001/
Just as expected. This case just burns me to no end.

From the article:
"Sarah Stern’s accused killer insists he did nothing wrong and will go to trial in a case that exposes him to life in prison without the possibility of parole, his attorney said today.
Meghan Doyle, an assistant Monmouth County prosecutor, said the only plea offer extended to McAtasney at this time is for him to plead guilty to all seven crimes he is charged with in exchange for a recommendation that he be sentenced to life in prison without the possibility of parole.

'That makes life easy,' Moriarty said of the offer, after the arraignment. 'What can you do but try the case?
'I don't think anything can be worked out in this case because he still maintains he did nothing wrong,' Moriarty said of his client.

English scheduled an initial conference in the case for July 10.
McAtasney was indicted on seven charges on April 24, the same day his onetime roommate, Preston Taylor, 19, of Neptune admitted his role in Stern’s demise and agreed to cooperate in McAtasney’s prosecution.
An aggravating factor contained in the indictment – that the murder was committed while in the course of a robbery or flight from one – enables prosecutors to seek life in prison without the possibility of parole for McAtasney if he is convicted of Stern’s murder.
Prosecutors said they will recommend a 20-year prison term for Taylor and agreed not to pursue a felony murder charge if he fully cooperates in McAtasney’s prosecution." (BBM; more at the link)

In the video, the assistant prosecutor says there are discovery items still outstanding, and they are to be turned in by June 2nd, which makes me feel somewhat better. I'm just afraid that unless there is some sort of "bombshell" evidence, LM/Moriarty may be able to successfully argue that the plot was hatched and carried out by PT and PT alone. And I hope that LM's "confession video" doesn't get tossed out.

"'I don't think anything can be worked out in this case because he still maintains he did nothing wrong,' Moriarty said of his client."
I don't doubt that at all. I'm sure LM believes he did nothing wrong - at least in his mind.

This came up in my FB feed and I thought I would post it because I know we have locals on this thread.

Sarah Stern's Life Celebration

Saturday, July 15 at 1 PM - 8 PM
Neptune City Community Center
117 3rd Ave, Neptune City, New Jersey 07753

https://www.facebook.com/SearchForSarah/posts/781083828726736

ETA, her dad mentions in the comments on the invitation they are working on the program and will post an update with the times of what will be happening between 1 and 8.

Anyone following the conference hearing today??

TIA! :wave:

Anyone following the conference hearing today??

McAtasney will not take a plea deal, according to his attorney he maintains his innocence.

Taylor pled guilty earlier and agreed to testify against McAtasney. A trial date has not yet been set for McAtasney.

Moriarty has filed two motions, delaying the case for 77 days. One of the motions is to suppress a recorded conversation between McAtasney and a cooperating witness, only known by the initials A.C. In that conversation, prosecutors have said, McAtasney admits to strangling stern and then watching her die for 30 minutes.

Moriarty also filed a motion to seek a change of venue for the trial. He told reporters on Monday that he did that because of the abundance of the publicity and comments on the internet.

---

McAtasney appeared in court in a green jumpsuit with his hands shackled. His blond hair was neatly trimmed, and his face was red. "I'm good," he told Moriarty as he shook hands with him before the start of the hearing.

He nodded at his mother sitting in the corner of the gallery and then briefly glanced at Stern's family, who were seated in the front row. McAtasney mainly stared down at his hands during the court appearance as he sat in the jury box.

After the hearing, Stern's father, Michael Stern, called the delays in the status of the case "troubling."

http://www.nj.com/monmouth/index.ssf/2017/07/man_accused_of_strangling_sarah_stern_will_not_ple.html

I've thought about this case a lot and have been following it and the one thing that really really doesn't sit well with me or add up is her clothes. Why would they take her clothes off and burn them and put them into a safe and then throw her over the bridge naked? If someone found her right away they would never believe it was a suicide if she was naked. I just don't get that at all. I think they either did something else to her or they didn't throw her over that bridge.

:tyou: JerseyGirl for the update! After I posted here, I got a Google Alert (they seem to follow me from thread to thread here.... :thinking: )

So, no "next" court date....

JUSTICE for SARAH! :rose:

pic of McAtasney in court yesterday:

636352859725828705-stern03.jpg

http://www.app.com/story/news/local...n-killing-defendant-asks-new-venue/457562001/

another update:

Monday's hearing took place before Judge Richard English. Neither motion has been decided. The motion to change venue is currently before another judge, Lisa Thornton, but may later come before English.

As of Monday the motion to suppress the recording was scheduled to be heard by English on Sept. 7.

http://www.app.com/story/news/local...n-killing-defendant-asks-new-venue/457562001/

I've thought about this case a lot and have been following it and the one thing that really really doesn't sit well with me or add up is her clothes. Why would they take her clothes off and burn them and put them into a safe and then throw her over the bridge naked? If someone found her right away they would never believe it was a suicide if she was naked. I just don't get that at all. I think they either did something else to her or they didn't throw her over that bridge.

In my mind, the only way I can wrap my head around it is that they didn't think she would be found so they were not worried about her being naked. In their mind, no one would find her or find her clothes.

In my mind, the only way I can wrap my head around it is that they didn't think she would be found so they were not worried about her being naked. In their mind, no one would find her or find her clothes.

Still doesn't make sense that they removed her clothes, unless there was evidence on them.

Still doesn't make sense that they removed her clothes, unless there was evidence on them.

I hope the prosecutors establish the timeline in this case. The timeline that they used in the inditement hearing didn't say anything about them burning her clothes and burying the safes. They also said they had put her in the front passenger seat of the car. I just don't see why they would drive with her nude.

Also, I read the comments on an article asbury park press shared on their Facebook page and someone wrote that he was in jail with Liam mcatasney and that Liam told the other inmates they were just jealous of him because he was on the news and they weren't. Just chilling.

Approximately 1,000 members of the Neptune City, New Jersey, community gathered on Saturday to attend a memorial and celebration of the life of Sarah Stern, who disappeared on on Dec. 2, 2016, at age 19.

Sarah Stern’s father, Michael Stern, told ABC News that Sarah, his vivacious, artistic, light-hearted daughter and only child, would have wanted the event to be more celebration than requiem. And he says he got his wish.

"Pretty awesome to see so many people come out for Sarah," Michael Stern said. "They knew we were celebrating her life and that was a good time."

http://abcnews.go.com/amp/US/hundre...fe-nj-teen-missing-december/story?id=48673683

So - I take no updates on today's Motion to suppress hearing? - re suppress recording.

:judge:

JUSTICE for SARAH!

I wonder what kind of efforts they are still making to find her?

So - I take no updates on today's Motion to suppress hearing? - re suppress recording.

:judge:

JUSTICE for SARAH!

I haven't seen anything and I checked the local paper http://www.app.com and nothing being reported there.

Can't seem to find anything about this.... :dunno:

If anyone finds anything??

Some news about the case from today: http://newjersey.news12.com/story/3...-of-venue-request-in-sarah-stern-murder-trial

Negative publicity cited as the reason for the change of venue request. Seriously?!

Not sure if this has been mentioned here, but a couple of months ago someone completely removed Sarah's beautiful memorial from the bridge. I had passed just the night before and literally the next morning, every sign of it was gone. I'm not sure if they ever figured out who was responsible but what a sick and morbid thing to do. It has since been replaced with her picture and flowers.

RIP Sarah.. justice is coming.

Always keeping The Stern family and friends in my heart and prayers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member