NJ - Sarah Stern, 19, Neptune City, 2 Dec 2016 *Arrests* #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
<modsnip> I know there's talk of a third person but I don't really know where that's coming from. Is AC who people are referring to as the 3rd?

And why do people think there is a third? Sources?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AC went to the police soon after obtaining the recording as far as my understanding goes. I don't see how he is guilty at all. He's the savior, if there can be one with this case.
But anything is possible I guess.

Also, I haven't caught up with the thread completely, but regarding the question of whether LM went into the bank with SS...wasn't there a confession about LM calling PT to tell him he's at the bank and going to take her out? That tells us that he must have stayed in the car IMO.

How much jail time could PT serve for his charges? Does anyone know?

I will calculate the sentencing possibilities from their charges if it's possible, just may take a little time.

Yep. Strange that Liam's is back up & Preston's is down. Wonder if anything new is going on behind the scenes...

In MP cases I have worked on in the past, LE took hold of SM accounts for all the players involved for a couple of days, then gave family the information to access in some situations. It was one account at a time like we have seen here. MOO.

AC went to the police soon after obtaining the recording as far as my understanding goes. I don't see how he is guilty at all. He's the savior, if there can be one with this case.

Also, I haven't caught up with the thread completely, but regarding the question of whether LM went into the bank with SS...wasn't there a confession about LM calling PT to tell him he's at the bank and going to take her out? That tells us that he must have stayed in the car IMO.

AC went to the police with suspicions on 1/24. He gave a statement and agree to secretly video tape Liam, which he did on 1/31.

You're totally right RE: the bank call. Thanks for the reminder :)

according to docs released today:

Statements from AC 1/24 and 2/10. AC consensual recording 1/31.

http://www.app.com/story/news/local...or-releases-documents-stern-killing/98296598/

IMO Sarah may have inherited the safety deposit box, it seems there are some tax benefits to this but I haven't done a ton of research on the topic. Since her mom was ill and they had time to plan things out, it may be how they chose to distribute her mom's estate to Sarah. If inherited, it's possible she came into the funds when she turned 18 or shortly thereafter. JMO.

IMO Sarah may have inherited the safety deposit box, it seems there are some tax benefits to this but I haven't done a ton of research on the topic. Since her mom was ill and they had time to plan things out, it may be how they chose to distribute her mom's estate to Sarah. If inherited, it's possible she came into the funds when she turned 18 or shortly thereafter. JMO.

Thanks for coming. Anything revealing in those docs in legalese? :)

In regard to records that are being sealed in this case, the first thing that came to my mind was the video of LM trying to kiss a young boy and then telling him to take his clothes off on his youtube account. Completely speculating here but maybe he has been investigated for that kind of thing in the past but was maybe underage? I'm assuming if he was underage he might not have to register as a sex offender?

im pretty sure that was his younger brother in the video

Do we know for sure he had a criminal record? The document said his records would be sealed but does that mean there is anything else in his records aside from this? If he did get in trouble for anything after he turned 18 I'd be surprised if Asbury Park Press didn't have something on it. They don't miss even an underage drinking ticket. I have a friend whose record was expunged but the articles are still out there. If he was under 18 there is probably nothing though. But if his criminal record was sealed and the record was from when he was a juvenile, wouldn't that be listed as a reason to seal?

Do we know for sure he had a criminal record? The document said his records would be sealed but does that mean there is anything else in his records aside from this? If he did get in trouble for anything after he turned 18 I'd be surprised if Asbury Park Press didn't have something on it. They don't miss even an underage drinking ticket. I have a friend whose record was expunged but the articles are still out there. If he was under 18 there is probably nothing though. But if his criminal record was sealed and the record was from when he was a juvenile, wouldn't that be listed as a reason to seal?

Good questions. I would assume so but I don't know the laws in regard to that. I would guess that it might be sealed because that nature of the contents could be severe enough to sway a jury. JMO.

Even if it's his younger brother, it's still alarming behavior IMO. Growing up there was a boy in the neighborhood who did things like that to other boys. That boy grew up an murdered someone. That is all I kept thinking about when I saw the youtube video.

I think you guys are looking too much into that video. The kid didn't take off his clothes and didn't seem to be in any fear.

As for juvenile records they are not sealed for a gun permit background check. Even arrests that were dismissed or ended in result of not guilty. It is in the NJ Juvenile Offender Database. Unless they were expunged they can be found.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Thanks for coming. Anything revealing in those docs in legalese? :)
JMO & MOO

The grammar on the affidavit does insinuate LM got the $7,000 from the safe rather than the deposit box, but it definitely could be sloppy grammar. That may have been the total retrieved from the safe(s) and safe deposit box.

Tracey is just a typo.

The Order sealing records mostly pertains to the Constitutional right to a fair trial and the Rules of Evidence. The biggest rule here is against presenting "prejudicial" evidence that is not "relevant." Rule 403 http://www.judiciary.state.nj.us/mcs/rules/part4/part401.html#rule403

For example, sealing criminal histories:
RULE 404. Character Evidence Not Admissible to Prove Conduct; Exceptions; Other Crimes Evidence
(b) Other crimes, wrongs, or acts. --Except as otherwise provided by Rule 608(b), evidence of other crimes, wrongs, or acts is not admissible to prove the disposition of a person in order to show that such person acted in conformity therewith. Such evidence may be admitted for other purposes, such as proof of motive, opportunity, intent, preparation, plan, knowledge, identity or absence of mistake or accident when such matters are relevant to a material issue in dispute. [/QUOTE http://www.judiciary.state.nj.us/mcs/rules/part4/part401.html#rule404

Rules of Evidence 608 and 609 are relevant here to:
http://www.judiciary.state.nj.us/mcs/rules/part6/part601.html#rule608

They all basically say that to attack a witness's credibility or propensity for truthfulness, prior criminal history may be relevant. But to show that the witness acted this way in the past and acted the same way in this incident is considered too prejudicial to be relevant. IMO.

I don't practice criminal law and this isn't a legal opinion, just my translation of the information. They want to protect the defendants' rights as provided by law and prevent a mistrial. The jury selection process will already be very difficult at this point.

ETA: The hearsay rule also protects against out of court statements being admitted as evidence, there is something like 25 exceptions and another list of things that are considered NOT hearsay even though they seem to be. So locking statements made out of court down is very common to prevent a violation that would result in NONE of it being admissible at trial.

ETA2: It goes without saying that protecting AC and maintaining his cooperation is huge.

So, in effort to protect defendant's rights, and a fair trial, etc, could that simply be an exhaustive list and LM not have any past record? Also, if LM does, than wouldn't LE already have his prints and DNA? Thanks for your knowledge sharing here, very insightful.

So, in effort to protect defendant's rights, and a fair trial, etc, could that simply be an exhaustive list and LM not have any past record? Also, if LM does, than wouldn't LE already have his prints and DNA? Thanks for your knowledge sharing here, very insightful.

They probably don't have his dna from anything in the past if it was a drug charge or something like that.

Also....LM is a twin (idk if identical) but if he is identical, would that mean his DNA still can't prove beyond a reasonable doubt? I mean technically there is someone else in the world with the same DNA. I'm sure DNA combined with other evidence like an alibi for his twin can still get him convicted. But just saying about the DNA.

I think it's possible this is a standard motion and order (sealing crim history) in highly publicized cases. Especially since the prosecuting attorney and defense attorney entered it together.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper