NJ - Sarah Stern, 19, Neptune City, 2 Dec 2016 *Arrests* #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.

Carlos Diaz-Cobo, a New Brunswick defense lawyer, declined to discuss what his strategy in the case will be, but he said, “I can tell you my client maintains his innocence, so it certainly looks like there’s going to be a trial.’’

Asked how the change in attorneys came about, Diaz-Cobo said, “The family wanted to go in a different direction and they started asking around who the best attorney would be to take over the case. Several people pointed toward me.’’

The defense attorney said multiple people recommended him to McAtasney’s family based on his reputation and track record for acquittals in Monmouth County.

https://www.app.com/story/news/loca...new-lawyer-track-record-acquittals/437853002/

March 25th is approaching. Will it be postponed again? !

With having a new attorney, I'm going with YUP case will be continued. Sigh.

Actually, the date is March 26th, a Monday.... and that's regarding the tape the defense wants suppressed where he admits to killed Sarah to his friend.

If he got a new attorney, does that mean trial will be delayed....

Actually, the date is March 26th, a Monday.... and that's regarding the tape the defense wants suppressed where he admits to killed Sarah to his friend.

If he got a new attorney, does that mean trial will be delayed....

I’m thinking it does because the new attorney would need to “get up to speed” on the case. JMO

Skeletal remains were found in Colliers Mills which is about 45 min from Neptune. Not saying it has to do with this case but you never know.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

You are all probably correct with new attorney needing to familiarize with the case. Nice delay strategy. Any updates on the skeletal remains found? Will try to Google Jersey news.Thanks to all.

Wondering if there is still a hearing Monday. Maybe to make it "official"?

Haven't seen other dates yet.

Don't know if this will happen or did happen today -

Monday, March 26th:
*Judge to Rule on Motion to Suppress (tape) (@ 9am ET) - NJ - Sarah Stern (19) (Dec. 2, 2016) - Liam McAtasney (19) accused of murder, robbery, felony murder, conspiracy to commit robbery, disturbing/desecrating human remains, tampering with physical evidence & hindering his own apprehension; DA seeks Life.
Superior Court Judge Lisa P. Thornton, Monmouth County's ruled no change of venue on 9/18/17.
A motion filed by Moriarty to suppress a taped conversation between McAtasney and a co-operating witness in which McAtasney allegedly admits to killing Stern.
12/2 update: Hearing from Oct. 26th scheduled for Dec. 13th; postponed from Dec. 13th. Hearing continued to Thursday, Jan. 4th; due to weather on 1/4, hearing cancelled. Hearings continued on 1/9 & 1/10 & hearing on 1/25 postponed to today, 2/22.
A judge ruled a jury can hear statements Liam McAtasney made in early December 2017 to police who were investigating the disappearance of Sarah Stern, but attorneys will have to wait to find out if the judge will allow the jury to view a videotape of McAtasney reportedly confessing to the murder. Judge English scheduled a conference in the case for March 26 and said he would issue his written opinion on the admissibility of the videotape and other conversations McAtasney had with Curry sometime before the conference.
3/23/18: Judge :denied: motion to suppress video tape confession.
His accomplice Preston Taylor (19) faces up to 20 years in state prison and is subject to the No Early Release Act. He pleaded guilty to first-degree robbery, second-degree conspiracy to commit robbery, second-degree distributing or desecrating human remains, two counts of third-degree hindering apprehension and fourth-degree tampering with physical evidence. His sentencing will be adjourned until later in the year, pending McAtasney’s trial. Expected to testify at LMc's trial.

APP printed article 2 hrs ago that case will likely go to trial in September.

APP printed article 2 hrs ago that case will likely go to trial in September.

Sarah Stern murder: Liam McAtasney trial likely to begin in September

FREEHOLD - Liam McAtasney is likely to stand trial in Sarah Stern's murder in September after his new defense attorney indicated he doesn't plan to appeal a ruling allowing a jury to review a recording of his client confessing to the crime.

>>snip

English, at a conference today at which he reiterated Friday's ruling, scheduled the next conference in the case for June 18 and announced "a potential trial date the second week of September.''

Meanwhile, the victim's father, Michael Stern, said a small group of family and friends held a memorial atop the Belmar bridge on Saturday, which would have been Sarah's 21st birthday.

>>snip

Diaz-Cobo said he plans to review the voluminous evidence in the criminal case with his client and "We'll make a decision of how we want to go forward.'' He said he expects a trial date of Sept. 10.

>>snip

Charles Stone, an attorney representing the Stern family, said he plans to file a wrongful death lawsuit against McAtasney and his accomplice within 90 days.

https://www.app.com/story/news/loca...der-liam-mcatasney-trial-september/455030002/

Thanks for the article and update Mica! :wave:

I missed the mention of a date for a last chance plea deal. Interesting. With both the police station video, as well as the recorded confession allowed, could be why new attorney not appealing. However, I was under the impression that a plea deal for Liam, was a ship that already sailed.

I missed the mention of a date for a last chance plea deal. Interesting. With both the police station video, as well as the recorded confession allowed, could be why new attorney not appealing. However, I was under the impression that a plea deal for Liam, was a ship that already sailed.

This is from the article: “English said the next court date in June will be the deadline for McAtasney to take a plea bargain. If he doesn't, a September trial date is likely to be set, the judge said.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member