NJ - Sean Goldman: Abducted and living in Brazil UPDATE: Coming Home

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I've adopted as well...9 to be exact and I as well find nothing difficult about raising my children. I have also fostered for 21 years (well over 125 children) and we have had one failed adoption. My point was that raising children period requires endless love, patience, and commitment and at times it can be very trying, especially with teenagers, biological or otherwise.
Poor Sean has been caught up in this tug-of-war for years now and for anyone to think that this boy isn't going to be angry, resentful, and difficult at some point is just foolish.
My question is WHY is the step father and his family doing this? What is in this for them? I'm in a situation right now where my granddaughters are concerned, one is not my biological granddaughter but my love for all of them is more than I can even put into words. I would take them and raise them in a heartbeat because I love them and I want the best for them. Their mother is an alcoholic and drug user and life for them is pathetic. Why does she want the children? Because she draws a check every month from Social Security. There are specific reasons why they should not be with their mother, reasons of safety and health and lifestyle. For Sean there is no reasonable cause that I've heard why he should not be with his biological father. Sean was kidnapped! He needs to be returned to his father but I still say the boy is going to have some issues regardless of who raises him.

I agree with you in part. I do believe he will suffer some serious issues......... especially if he is forced to live with his biological dad now.

I would hope I would be able to love & respect my child enough to let him go for right now. The boy knows and will know how hard dad has fought for him. The boy will want to know him someday.

I am stunned that the Brazilian family feels they love Sean more than his biological father and because of that their claim to Sean supercedes David's parental rights. This is not a case of a father abandoning his child and suddenly showing up years later and demanding they return his child after they have singularly raised him. David was shut out from the beginning. I absolutely believe they love Sean but with an elitist attitude that their social position not only tolerates but promotes. The grandparents were delighted when their daughter put aside her middle class life in the USA and returned to Brazil and reclaimed her social position. One of their complaints against David was their daughter had to help pay the family's living expenses. That sounds normal to me for the avergae American family today. I think the idea that Sean[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] [/FONT]coming to the USA and being raised as a normal American [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]kid [/FONT]must be repulsive to them. There is a cultural and elitist divide here as well.

I've adopted. I find absolutely NOTHING difficult about raising my ADOPTED son. I am a little stunned at the level of ignorance that still persists.........blood has nothing to do with love for a child. True love for a child doesn't require a biological link. :banghead:

I couldn't agree with you more. I have a number of friends with adopted children. There's not a single difference in the love they feel for their child as compared to the love I feel for mine (that came from my body).

I am stunned that the Brazilian family feels they love Sean more than his biological father and because of that their claim to Sean supercedes David's parental rights. This is not a case of a father abandoning his child and suddenly showing up years later and demanding they return his child after they have singularly raised him. David was shut out from the beginning. I absolutely believe they love Sean but with an elitist attitude that their social position not only tolerates but promotes. The grandparents were delighted when their daughter put aside her middle class life in the USA and returned to Brazil and reclaimed her social position. One of their complaints against David was their daughter had to help pay the family's living expenses. That sounds normal to me for the avergae American family today. I think the idea that Sean[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] [/FONT]coming to the USA and being raised as a normal American [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]kid [/FONT]must be repulsive to them. There is a cultural and elitist divide here as well.

UBM

The cultural underpinnings are a big part of this, without question.

Brazil Custody Battle
Judge allows NJ man to get custody of son
Updated: Tuesday, 22 Dec 2009, 6:16 PM EST
Published : Tuesday, 22 Dec 2009, 6:15 PM EST

MYFOXNY.COM - Brazil's chief justice is allowing a New Jersey man to return his young son to the United States. David Goldman, the boy's father, has waged a long legal fight to bring his son Sean home after his mother took him to Brazil five years ago.

Brazil's Supreme Court, last week, had delayed the return of 9-year-old boy to his U.S. father in New Jersey

http://www.myfoxny.com/dpp/news/local_news/new_jersey/091222-brazil-custody-battle

The court has just ruled that Sean be returned to his father!

I'm cautiously optimistic about this decision and praying to God that David gets to have his son for Christmas!

:praying:

Well that's great that they will hear it before Christmas - I think February 2010 was the date I read earlier for when a decision was expected.

Liz, what other Court could this case be appealed to after Brazil's Supreme Court makes a decision?

Hi SCM

I'm pretty sure an appeal can be made to the same court that made the decision, the Supreme Court. Praying they don't but I feel that the Brazilian family will do anything possible to avoid returning Sean to his father.

The court has just ruled that Sean be returned to his father!

I'm cautiously optimistic about this decision and praying to God that David gets to have his son for Christmas!

:praying:

Liz - who else could it be appealed to?

What happiness for David, but I imagine leaving the family he has been with for so long right before Christmas will be a shock for Sean. Though perhaps he has been prepared for this - I hope so.

Blessings to Sean and David as they rebuild their relationship.

Hi SCM

I'm pretty sure an appeal can be made to the same court that made the decision, the Supreme Court. Praying they don't but I feel that the Brazilian family will do anything possible to avoid returning Sean to his father.

Thanks, Liz (I just asked you again!). I feel like if they can appeal the decision to this same Court, then they will. If only to buy themselves a final Christmas.....

Merry Christmas David and Sean! I missed it, when does he come home? I pray for their healing. Bless them.

Brazil judge: Boy must be returned to U.S. dad
Ruling moves David Goldman step closer to reunification with son

RIO DE JANEIRO - Brazil's top judge ruled Tuesday that a 9-year-old boy must be returned to his U.S. father, the latest twist in a five-year custody battle that has frayed relations between the two countries.

The ruling by Supreme Court Chief Justice Gilmar Mendes was a much-sought-after victory for David Goldman, a New Jersey man who has pledged to fight for his son, Sean, as long as it takes.

Goldman said before the ruling that he was holding out hope of being reunited with his son in time to celebrate the holidays in the United States.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/34529267/ns/world_news-americas/

Thanks, Liz (I just asked you again!). I feel like if they can appeal the decision to this same Court, then they will. If only to buy themselves a final Christmas.....

I hope this is the last time Sean's poor father has to hold his breath, awaiting his reunification with his beloved son. I cannot imagine how emotionally exhausting all this waiting has been for David, while all these bizarre legal manueverings have continued.

It is long past time for David and Sean to be together!

i really hope that they are able to be reunited this time. they have given this poor dad the runaround long enough. i can't even imagine the emotions he has gone through since losing/regaining/losing/regaining custody of his son. i feel really bad for the guy and believe that having his son back would be the best Christmas gift EVER!!!... :)

I hope this is the last time Sean's poor father has to hold his breath, awaiting his reunification with his beloved son. I cannot imagine how emotionally exhausting all this waiting has been for David, while all these bizarre legal manueverings have continued.

It is long past time for David and Sean to be together!

I know this has been brutal on David. Even though I have very mixed feelings about this case, I have always had a lot of empathy for his plight.

I'm sorry but the court should not take into consideration what this boy wants as he has been alienated from his father for the last 5 years so this should be a no no, and secondly bolded...maybe the family should have thought of their actions that have been extremely inhumane to David Goldman over the last 5 years of not returning his son.
They should have considered what their actions would conclude for this little boy , this is not David's fault or the courts it is theirs.
Prayers this goes through and David is not stalled again, and mostly for Sean this will be difficult for him all the way around.

***********************************************************************************************

The grandmother said all the legal arguments did not take into consideration what the boy wants.
"Mr. President, this is not a cry of a grandmother in agony. This is the clamor of a Brazilian fighting with all of the strength that she has left so the justice of this country would apply the laws with humanity," she said. Bianchi said sending Sean to New Jersey would tear him away from the family he has lived with for the past five years and from his 3-year-old little sister Chiara. "To do this especially on Christmas Eve is inhumane," she said
http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/david-goldman-wins-court-custody-fight-son/story?id=9404151&page=2

I'm sorry but the court should not take into consideration what this boy wants as he has been alienated from his father for the last 5 years so this should be a no no, and secondly bolded...maybe the family should have thought of their actions that have been extremely inhumane to David Goldman over the last 5 years of not returning his son.
They should have considered what their actions would conclude for this little boy , this is not David's fault or the courts it is theirs.
Prayers this goes through and David is not stalled again, and mostly for Sean this will be difficult for him all the way around.

***********************************************************************************************

The grandmother said all the legal arguments did not take into consideration what the boy wants.
"Mr. President, this is not a cry of a grandmother in agony. This is the clamor of a Brazilian fighting with all of the strength that she has left so the justice of this country would apply the laws with humanity," she said. Bianchi said sending Sean to New Jersey would tear him away from the family he has lived with for the past five years and from his 3-year-old little sister Chiara. "To do this especially on Christmas Eve is inhumane," she said
http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/david-goldman-wins-court-custody-fight-son/story?id=9404151&page=2

I'm sure the grandmother is heartbroken. Why wouldn't she be? And of course she wants Sean to speak because she knows Sean will say he wants to stay. I think the Court knows that also (what the boy would say given the chance) and so they just assumed it as part of their decision.

I have believed strongly that the boy should be given the chance to speak to the Court if he wanted to. But the more I think about it, the more I believe that the Court was wise not to allow his "testimony." Thinking about some of the things Salem has posted about as well as some other cases I have followed....

I'm sure the grandmother is heartbroken. Why wouldn't she be? And of course she wants Sean to speak because she knows Sean will say he wants to stay. I think the Court knows that also (what the boy would say given the chance) and so they just assumed it as part of their decision.

I have believed strongly that the boy should be given the chance to speak to the Court if he wanted to. But the more I think about it, the more I believe that the Court was wise not to allow his "testimony." Thinking about some of the things Salem has posted about as well as some other cases I have followed....

It was a heartbreaking case and started when the mother returned home to Brazil and denied David access to his son. That was then and this is now. I feel for everyone, but I am elated David will get to bring his son home. For me, the problem of expecting Sean to express his wishes to where he lived was that is was never a level playing field. The Brazilian family controlled everything. Sean had not been back to the United States in years. How could he truthfully know how he felt about living in a place and with a family he had not seen in such a long time.

I hope David does not let this bitter battle keep him from being generous with the Sean[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]'s[/FONT] Brazilian family. They obviously love him and need to be a part of his life. If everyone will do the right thing, this boy will do fine.

It will be a sadder Christmas for those left behind but what a celebration they will have in New Jersey. God bless them all.

I hope they are on the first plane home......

and allow the grandparents to visit anytime they wish.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nancydrewmom
Back