GUILTY NM - Collin Romero, 15, & Ahmed Lateef, 14, murdered, Albuquerque, Dec 2018 *guilty* + Cayla Campos murder 2019 *arrests*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Officials confirmed Monday, that the two bodies had been buried and were recovered. The bodies were sent to the Office of the Medical Investigator, where they were identified.

The cause of deaths are under investigation, but police did say clothing that contained evidence of a violent crime were found in the mesa area.

Bodies found buried near mesa identified as missing teens

According to the video, their clothing was found first, and a search was done around where the clothing was found, and then the bodies were found in a shallow grave. I hope those responsible are arrested and convicted soon!

Bodies of two Albuquerque missing teens found west of Rio Rancho

Officials confirmed Monday, that the two bodies had been buried and were recovered. The bodies were sent to the Office of the Medical Investigator, where they were identified.

The cause of deaths are under investigation, but police did say clothing that contained evidence of a violent crime were found in the mesa area.

Bodies found buried near mesa identified as missing teens

Bodies of two Albuquerque missing teens found west of Rio Rancho

"He just kept saying a thousand dollars. I just need a thousand dollars to fix it," said Collin Romero's mother, Amanda Kimbrel, in a previous interview with KOAT.

What the heck does that mean? His mother knew about it prior? So young to be caught up in the drug world.

Last edited:
What the heck does that mean? His mother knew about it prior?
I believe that both victims were straying prior to their murders with their mothers knowing of this, but being unable to fully control their sons activities.

As a side note, the $1,000 debt may not be a good indicator of their level of involvement in the drug world as it probably included arbitrary interest, late fees and penalties type additions.

My guess is that the original debt could well have been say, $300-400 dollars. This could place the victims at a low level "user to user" type sales. The perpetrators of the murders were probably low level wholesale suppliers. I, however, doubt true wholesale level dealers would of had anything to do with the victims.

Likewise, I strongly suspect that the victims' customer base consisted solely of other students who were interested in marijuana, but were not interested in seeking out "real" drug dealers to save a few dollars.

Last edited:
$1000 in weed is not all that much, depending on type. What we used to call “nickel” bags back in the eighties can be $60 or more now...so it can be misleading. Sounds like maybe they were smalltime suppliers of a friend group, etc...

But all that is beside the point...what a horrible crime and waste of life, and it is even worse that they were scared, imo...knew they were in trouble. I hate thinking that...jmo

Police need help locating missing 15-year-old

Romero was reported missing by his mother, Amanda Kimbrel, after she was informed that a Snapchat video had circulated showing Collins and Ahmed Lateef being beaten in the west mesa area of Albuquerque.

According to APD, The video showed Collin and Ahmed bleeding with what appeared to be broken bones.

Ahmed Lateef has a felony warrant and is an absconder of the law. Information suggests that both Collin and Ahmed were involved in a drug deal that may have gone bad in the area of Tivoli Avenue NE and Golden Gate Avenue NE.

Both subjects have not been heard from since and their whereabouts are unknown.
View attachment 160587

WOW this "drug deal gone bad" was literally right across the street from the middle school I attended in Albuquerque. Not a particularly bad part of town. Very sad for these two boys to have lost their lives :(

My mom recently moved to ABQ from a LA (Los Angeles, not Louisiana) and I swear, the crime seems much worse in ABQ. Perhaps because it is a much smaller town.

That said, no matter what these kids were involved in, no one deserves to be beaten nor to die from it IMO. I hope there is good news for these families soon. Very sad...

IMO the crime seems much worse because (1) it's a smaller city and (2) it probably IS worse - lots of corruption in local government and law enforcement.

Even if the waste of air(s) who murdered them received the DP -- it would be merciful compared to how these teens died.
Hope they are caught soon and get the harshest penalties possible.

Rest in peace, Collin and Ahmed !
My utmost condolences to their loved ones.

IMO the crime seems much worse because (1) it's a smaller city and (2) it probably IS worse - lots of corruption in local government and law enforcement.

There is a lot of crime overall...not saying there isn’t. And they are not good at prosecutions. But the area where the boys started out is not a high crime area. I have lived in this neighborhood since 2000...nothing much more than vehicle crimes as a rule.

$1000 in weed is not all that much, depending on type. What we used to call “nickel” bags back in the eighties can be $60 or more now...so it can be misleading. Sounds like maybe they were smalltime suppliers of a friend group, etc...

But all that is beside the point...what a horrible crime and waste of life, and it is even worse that they were scared, imo...knew they were in trouble. I hate thinking that...jmo
Yes, it hurts the heart to think how much these two boys suffered. I had been hoping for a happier outcome.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mkmatti
Back