GUILTY NM - Omaree Varela, 9, called 911 before dying of abuse, Albuquerque, 27 Dec 2013

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Here is Officer Jara's report:

ede6y2yh.jpg

dygy7apa.jpg

4ugaryny.jpg

y6e2e7yb.jpg

eganazub.jpg

a3ynynub.jpg

Linked by previous post by HauntsForHope

Image link:

http://www.abqjournal.com/333439/news/officer-didnt-remove-omaree.html/attachment/a01_pg1#main (images #1-6 on URL tag)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The whole lot of them should be fired, including the teacher and the principal. :mad:

This is a must-read, no matter how difficult. It contains Officer Jara's actual report. Here's a snip of what she encountered upon arrival to the school:

(Snip)

“I made my way to the office where (the child) was waiting, with his family,” Jara wrote in her report. “I was shocked at this because they were sitting together and talking and this struck me as odd. In my experience with situations of this kind, I have never encountered the parents and CYFD altogether, without an officer first being able to interview each subject separately. I was advised that the mother had already been interviewed and advised of the situation, and clearly had access to the child before I was able to interview him.”

-----

Omaree changes his story. His mother called him a liar, and had threatened that CYFD would take him out of the home. She actually made Omaree believe that being taken away from her was a bad thing! If only he knew the truth! :banghead:

Even worse, CYFD never filed a report! It's not in record anywhere! An arrest was pending their investigation. Officer Jara's report indicates she felt things weren't adding up. This shows another clear example of CYFD dropping the ball! Everyone failed him! Where was the follow up, after the fact? There was none!

SVC obviously made sure Omaree was scared out of his wits before Jara arrived. Good Lord, every time I read another report, I cry at the lost opportunity to listen to this child, who was crying out for help, only to be pulled back into the abyss. :no:

How he must have felt! No one believes me. No one will save me.

And he was right. No one did. And how he's gone. Forever.

#JusticeForOmaree
:rose:

Whatever happened to erring on the side of caution??
Remove the child from his home and best case scenario, he had two days away from home with strangers while his family is investigated. That is by FAR better than staying in a home with drug addicted monsters who will eventually murder him!!

I'm enraged. :stormingmad:

How frustrated must that school staff member be that filed the initial report? They reported what was clearly child abuse and yet NOTHING WAS DONE!! A report wasn't even filed for cripes sake!!??

Why didn't this officer press further to find out more information instead of just assuming he was lying to her? Clearly by reading the report you can see that she didn't believe the mother.
A goat could tell the mother was tweaking and not all there.

This is just so upsetting and sad. So many people failed this child so many times. Watching the video of the officers who visited the home and seeing him standing at the door, in what appeared to be disbelief that the officers were leaving him there. That broke my heart.

This kind of stuff happens every day and I am gutted knowing that. My hope is that justice is finally served for this beast of a mother and her boyfriend. I hope his siblings are removed from the home permanently and a loving family adopts them and they life happy, fulfilling lives.

That's just so wrong. Where was CPS? This child reported the abuse, so why wasn't he protected? This is the kind of case CPS should be involved with.

That's just so wrong. Where was CPS? This child reported the abuse, so why wasn't he protected? This is the kind of case CPS should be involved with.

CYFD (CPS) was involved throughout Omaree's life. There were nine separate investigations, and they only documented 2 cases of abuse. The report from APD's Officer Jara posted upthread never even got written up by CYFD! I commented a few days ago that each case was a chance to rescue him, but they allowed SVC to retain her power over the situation. Omaree's paid with his life.

Omaree's autopsy showed multiple signs of trauma and abuse in varying stages of healing that directly contradict the findings of the CYFD "investigations" (or lack there of).

It's well documented in the thread that LE was criminally negligent in not saving Omaree's life. The same can be said for the CYFD "professionals" who failed him as well :moo:

They all failed him - to death :stormingmad:

The links HauntsForHope has posted to the thread will help you to see this clearly. Sadly, we don't have full disclosure yet. SC just now has had charges filed, so more troubling news is bound to come out soon.

#JusticeForOmaree

CYFD (CPS) was involved throughout Omaree's life. There were nine separate investigations, and they only documented 2 cases of abuse. The report from APD's Officer Jara posted upthread never even got written up by CYFD! I commented a few days ago that each case was a chance to rescue him, but they allowed SVC to retain her power over the situation. Omaree's paid with his life.

Omaree's autopsy showed multiple signs of trauma and abuse in varying stages of healing that directly contradict the findings of the CYFD "investigations" (or lack there of).

It's well documented in the thread that LE was criminally negligent in not saving Omaree's life. The same can be said for the CYFD "professionals" who failed him as well :moo:

They all failed him - to death :stormingmad:

The links HauntsForHope has posted to the thread will help you to see this clearly. Sadly, we don't have full disclosure yet. SC just now has had charges filed, so more troubling news is bound to come out soon.

#JusticeForOmaree

I know they were involved. But what is that they did? They didn't remove him from the home, which resulted in him being killed.

It's common for abused children not to be helped.

I'm an abuse survivor--I reported the abuse multiple times. Once, directly to a police officer while my stepfather was in jail for an unrelated offense. Nothing was ever done because they were worried about "breaking up the family", and I didn't have any broken bones, just a few bruises and on occasion a brace around a sprained joint.

Obviously, considering I survived it, my case wasn't as severe as Omaree's. However... the risk was there, the risk of somebody going too far, of getting my head slammed against something in just the wrong way.

That was in the 1990s, but it still happens today, especially if the parents can claim that the child is a "problem child", or disabled in some way and doing it to himself.

I'm being blunt here, but it's the truth and I'd rather say it straight out: Most abused children are never helped, even when they ask for help.

I am so sorry chaotic, for what you endured... in a perfect world (the world I wish for) no child would have to live through this, nor die by a caretakers hand. Omaree must have felt so insignificant and uncared for- that thought alone breaks my heart. He tried to get help, so he must have believed something good about himself- I hope he had friends at school, in his short, little life. I could strangle that mother with my bare hands. I hate cases like this. RIP Omaree and fly free with the other little angels gone too soon- I'm starting to believe that heaven may be a much better place for all of these abused and neglected little ones. They don't stand a chance against their tormentors or the system that ignores them.

A huge part of the problem is there aren't enough places to put an abused child after removing them.
It's often determined higher up in the ranks the level of abuse and what steps should be taken. Some children are deemed "not abused enough"...services are offered instead.
There is a very real shortage of foster homes and really good ones are rare.

All IMO

Steve Casaus is charged with six counts of child abuse, including one count of child abuse resulting in death in relation to the death of Omaree Varela. Omaree died in December 2013 after he was allegedly kicked to death by his mother, Synthia Varela Casaus.

The latest charges filed against Steve Casaus could put him in prison for life, if convicted.

http://krqe.com/2014/05/01/da-details-indictment-of-omaree-varelas-stepdad/

Steve Casaus is charged with six counts of child abuse, including one count of child abuse resulting in death in relation to the death of Omaree Varela. Omaree died in December 2013 after he was allegedly kicked to death by his mother, Synthia Varela Casaus.

The latest charges filed against Steve Casaus could put him in prison for life, if convicted.

http://krqe.com/2014/05/01/da-details-indictment-of-omaree-varelas-stepdad/

Statement by DA:

“I think this case is real important to the community because a little boy that was vulnerable and unable to help himself was killed and we need to see that that doesn’t happen again as best as we can,” said (Kari) Brandenburg.

----

A life sentence won't bring Omaree back, but it will give his siblings the best chance at life without having to grow up worrying about this monster returning. He deserves an even harsher sentence, IMHO.

SC doesn't deserve to ever "parent" again. I hope he is tortured by nightmares of Omaree, and he suffers until he takes his last breath. I have nightmares of him berating Omaree on the 911 call playback FCOL. Ditto for SVC :stormingmad: Omaree was no match against these two. My heart hurts just thinking about it... :hearno:

The C's made Omaree's life a living hell. He suffered immeasurably before gaining his wings. I have not yet found the ability to let go of the tremendous rage and anger associated with this case. :no:

My only solace is that my faith allows me to believe Omaree is free from pain and at peace. The rest is still a work in progress.

#JusticeForOmaree

Thinking of you tonight Omaree :candle:

#JusticeForOmaree

Thinking of you tonight Omaree :candle:

#JusticeForOmaree

Yes, it is difficult to stop thinking about Omaree, Gabriel, and all the other children out there who need protection. So tragic, so needless, so preventable if people would only do their jobs and be held accountable when they fail to do their jobs.

JMO

Yes, it is difficult to stop thinking about Omaree, Gabriel, and all the other children out there who need protection. So tragic, so needless, so preventable if people would only do their jobs and be held accountable when they fail to do their jobs.

JMO

There is a need for accountability here, I agree. For the "parents" SVC who bore him, out of wedlock, whose addictions and demons were taken out on Omaree. She manipulated a system she knew would not sever her maternal custody rights. Omaree had a loving foster family, but they weren't allowed to have him.

SC, who was legally married to SVC when she had Omaree behind bars. Omaree was likely a constant reminder of what his wife had done while he was "away." His addictions and demons were also taken out on his favorite target. We hear it on the 911 call 6 months prior to Omaree's death. The cycle of abuse plays out in 6 minutes. This was Omaree's "father figure" while his biological dad and foster family were kept away.

All of this has been well-documented on the thread, mostly by HauntsForHopes updates. The failure to Omaree was absolutely catastrophic, and it happened at almost every single facet of his short life, with rare exception. He had a loving foster family, who probably seemed like a mirage of an oasis to him :moo:. He also had a biological father in Texas being from kept from him. The man confirmed his son's death by reading it on CNN.com :tears:

I share your anger at the profound failure of the system to Omaree, Baby Gabriel, and the many other cases we follow here. In fact, I've posted that the LE officers should be held criminally responsible for their roles, and others have said the same about the Human Services "professionals." I agree.

The blame rests with both the perpetrators of the crimes - the Cs - and those who failed Omaree professionally. All of their actions were SO egregious. That's what makes this case stand out from so many others for me.

I hope Omaree Varela represents change for Albuquerque, for New Mexico, and for the U.S. as a whole. We owe it to him to leave a positive legacy in his wake.

:twocents: (and then some :blushing:

#JusticeForOmaree

New report: Omaree kicked while unconscious
CYFD report shares new details in Omaree Varela Case

Omaree's body showed several signs of abuse, including cigarette burns to the chest and face, bite marks on his arms and bruising above his genitals, according to the report.

Read more: http://www.koat.com/news/new-report-omaree-kicked-while-unconscious/25996846#ixzz31ruOIc1n

The embedded video @ link shared by HauntsForHope, although very difficult to watch, revealed the State of NM is in the process of terminating SVCs parental rights.

If successful, it will end her ability to play the bargaining chip she has used over the course of her children's collective lives. Tragically, she was successful in using Omaree as a pawn in her sick games, until he died. :moo:

usy4u3es.jpg
adyzuty5.jpg
ubanurab.jpg

:candle:

#JusticeForOmaree

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors