NM NM - Patty Pritz, 14, & Mattie Restine, 13, Carlsbad, 11 Aug 1961 - #1

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Regarding the clothing....Patty may have been ordered to remove her clothing. The act of folding her own outer garments may have been her way of stalling what she knew was about to happen to her. It could've frustrated her assailant, so he ripped off her undergarments and tossed them. I know there was some suggestion that the murders were committed elsewhere, but perhaps head shots would have produced little in the way of blood.

I think the outer clothing was folded neatly by another person (may be accomplice) who may have been connected with the men who found the bodies. Done so to look as if she was a willing participant in the beginning.

Regarding the clothing....Patty may have been ordered to remove her clothing. The act of folding her own outer garments may have been her way of stalling what she knew was about to happen to her. It could've frustrated her assailant, so he ripped off her undergarments and tossed them. I know there was some suggestion that the murders were committed elsewhere, but perhaps head shots would have produced little in the way of blood.

You might be correct about all of the above. I just don't know that much about how a sick killer like that thinks. Again...I don't know how much one would bleed with a head shot...but when you see the crime shows on tv...even the real ones...there appears to be alot of blood under the victims head. So I just don't know.

The fact that Patty had on a necktie, and wasn't strangled may mean something, but I'm not sure what. This killer appears to be a sexual sadist. The cuts on her nipple indicate that the killer derived some pleasure from her suffering. Also, the killer may have been after some information that Patty had and only Patty knew, and cut her in trying to gain info from her. We don't know that, and actually we don't know whether the cuts were actual cuts or possibly uneven bite marks from a killer with bad teeth. Cuts are what we have to go on relying on LE info.

I am the step sister of Patti.

hello and welcome...
I asked this question before, and have not received an answer.

so i ask you now, and wont ask again out of respect. i promise you that.

you being a close relative, almost by blood.

i don't know if you were older or younger, for i have not read much here.

but i have only one question for you.

at any time, back then, in 1961 did she ever mention to you, or someone close to you she may have been pregnant...

and if so, by whom............DON'T, mention any names here, it may be a violation of the board.......a simple yes or no, would be appreciated.......

thank you in advance, and i am sorry for what happened to you and your family.

I am curious how you know such intricate details in this case? I was not aware that very many people other than a few family members and the law enforcement have seen the autopsy. I am not implying anything, I have been out of the loop about this from the time my sister was diagnosed with her cancer. At this point ...I wish the media would publish every bit of the evidence...autopsy and all. My Dad probably knows details but never told us. In fact, we were told that a crazy man had committed these murders and was sent to the nut house. I was 7 years old at the time and my parents may have believed the news (or made-up law enforcement reports) back then or wanted us to feel safe from "that Boogy-Man". Now, through Anne, and talking to some very weird, shady, lying, and one very honest, but helpless (not by choice)people, also seeing the autopsy and police reports plus the treatment I received from Eddie County Sheriff's Department,I don't believe the killer was a "sick or crazed killer" but another desperate person involved in covering up or staging the evidence. This person is the sick, manipulative, smart, and very law savy one. A statement that was made by this person can only make one believe he/she knew more about the case but as I understand has never been questioned. The comment was "they" (the law, family or world..??) will never find the evidence to solve this case."
Hopefully the family of this person will want the truth to come out...to either clear their own familys' name and get this clase solved.

How old is he and do you know his occupation, and if he has any other siblings?

POsted in the Wilbarger County Birth Records...1939

Kenneth Wayne Blair
DOB: 8-29-1939
Parents: Artell Estelle Loggins, Mother
Willie D Blair, Father

I do not know anything else about him.

I was wrong about a head shot not bleeding all that much. Yuck, the disgusting things ya have to look up to be knowledgeable. When a person dies, the blood pools in the body depending on the position of the victim at the time of death. This produces something called lividity which is a purpulish stain left by the concentration of blood to the area, If the discoloration left by lividity doesn't match the position of the body this can indicate the person's death occurred elsewhere.

QUOTE...I don't believe the killer was a "sick or crazed killer" but another desperate person...END OF QUOTE.

I agree with you 100%.
very desperate indeed.

you have the puzzle, its those missing or misplaced 1 or 2 pieces, that keeps this chapter on going.
but perhaps, that is why you both are here now.
to see this chapter come to an end, together as one.
and maybe the time is near.

I have been working on the theory that there could be a familial relationship between the Blairs and the Tituses. Although I'm still in the process of a family history study of these families and their allied lines, I have come across an interesting connection. Artell Blair's family, the Loggins, hailed from the small town (pop. 10,500 in the 1940's) of Vernon in Wilbarger County, Texas. This is also where Titus's wife's mother (maiden name Bristow or Bristo) was buried and where his daughter who was born in Ector County, Texas was later married in the 1970's. Willie Dee Blair and Artell Loggins Blair were still living in Wilbarger County in 1943. They had a daughter who did not live to be two months of age due to illness.

It is possible with enough digging that a familial or close friendship relationship can be found, especially between the Loggins family and the Bristo family, which could establish an ulterior motive for Titus's involvement and/or cover up for the Blairs. Perhaps this is what McGrew was on to... In the meantime and so I won't be a target of a "suicide," anyone can do what I have done through the many genealogical resources which are widely available on the internet.

One question before I proceed - Did you post that David Blair was turned over to the care of Titus when he went to Monahans? Maybe it is already known that there was a relationship between the families. If so, I'd rather not dig more than I have to, but am glad to help if needed. Titus has certainly been interested in this case over the years in a very peculiar way.

Thanks for posting the photo of Nichols. I'm somewhat skeptical of him as a suspect now based on his appearance and the descriptions of the witnesses. Coincidentally, Vernon, Wilbarger, TX (above) is 50 miles from Wichita Falls, TX where Nichols was said to have lived - although I know you posted he was a "drifter" between relatives' residences.

In fact, in the fifty mile stretch on Hwy. 287 between Wichita Falls and Vernon lies the even smaller communities of Iowa Park, Electra and Harrold. These names have shown up in the various histories of the families. Some of the extended family also lived directly in Wichita Falls, where Nichols lived off and on - and where he died.

I think I have this figured out, and the reasoning behind the murders, thanks to Legacy's post from yesterday and input from Anne, 2gone, and everyone else that's contributed. Despite that, I still can't tell who pulled the trigger, but I do believe that person's last name started with a B. In fact, the man in Monahans or Pecos's unflagging interest in this case points even more so to a B being the killer, and thus removing anyone else from suspicion.

Mattie was in the wrong place at the wrong time. Patty was eliminated because she was having sex with a B. That B would've been facing charges for statutory rape. If Patty was pregnant that would have been the icing on the cake. It sure would be great to know if this B had had any charges brought against him for anything else prior to the murders as this could have been all the more reason for Patty's elimination.

Patty was eliminated to keep a B from going to prison.
The 3 Bs would have all had a motive, and shared the same motive--keeping one of them out of prison.

If Monahans man helped the Bs, his aid was enlisted, after the fact. Most likely, he wasn't told the truth at the time of why he was being asked to help. The Bs could have called him, told him some man was gunning for their son because the son had slept with the man's wife or any other likely scenario that required that son be ushered out of town in secret and post haste. Shortly after getting involved Monahans man would've learned the truth, and he would've been hopping mad because the Bs had placed his standing in his own community at risk for having been involved at all.

Monahans man may have had other friends in Eddy County that would've been sympathetic to his plight.

To me, this is the simpliest explanation, and the most logical scenario.

I think the outer clothing was folded neatly by another person (may be accomplice) who may have been connected with the men who found the bodies.
Done so to look as if she was a willing participant in the beginning

I’m curious as to why the perp would make an effort to make it appear as if Patty was a willing participant in the beginning when the result remains the same; her death?

Since there is no other forensic evidence at the scene where the bodies were found there has to be another kill site where there would have been evidence such as blood splatter, skin tissue, bullet(s), etc. I agree with Justthinkin that it is possible that Patty folded her own outer clothing and placed those items in the car if she was ordered to undress at the primary crime scene. When the bodies were later placed where they were found the outer clothing was removed from the car folded as Patty had left them. Only the undergarments and shoes were thrown out of the car. If the outer clothing had not been folded by Patty then it too would have just been discarded in the same manner as the undergarments.

Questions for anyone:

Why did Patty have her diary with her on a day outing to the beach?

Was the diary the “bundle” that Keith Bunnel saw the taller of the two girls (Patty) have in her hand?

Did the girls have bathing suits with them? Did they plan to swim or lay out while at the beach that day?

"Titus has certainly been interested in this case over the years in a very peculiar way."

Titus has said he would like to get his name cleared from any connection with this case before he dies... but won't agree to talk to any investigator without Artell present and I KNOW that will not happen so the clock keeps ticking away. Titus and where D.B's car ever ended up is what he seems fuzziest or waffley about. Also, at first he told me he didn't know Artell, another time he slipped up, I guess, letting me know he does. One of the frustrating things about this case is the ages of these people, their memories and lack of computer skills. Really, the key to resolvement is through their children.

I am afraid of mentioning names in this or any forum...just a call to the sheriff of Carlsbad with a few questions made him asked me "are you threatening a law officer?" He scared me very much with his tone and what he thought I was inferring. I don't understand all I need to about mentioning names. I don't want to get sued for slander or anything like that.

I’m curious as to why the perp would make an effort to make it appear as if Patty was a willing participant in the beginning when the result remains the same; her death?

Since there is no other forensic evidence at the scene where the bodies were found there has to be another kill site where there would have been evidence such as blood splatter, skin tissue, bullet(s), etc. I agree with Justthinkin that it is possible that Patty folded her own outer clothing and placed those items in the car if she was ordered to undress at the primary crime scene. When the bodies were later placed where they were found the outer clothing was removed from the car folded as Patty had left them. Only the undergarments and shoes were thrown out of the car. If the outer clothing had not been folded by Patty then it too would have just been discarded in the same manner as the undergarments.

Questions for anyone:

Why did Patty have her diary with her on a day outing to the beach?

Was the diary the “bundle” that Keith Bunnel saw the taller of the two girls (Patty) have in her hand?

Did the girls have bathing suits with them? Did they plan to swim or lay out while at the beach that day?

It makes no sense to me for Patty to have been seen as a willing participant. Had she been alone, it might have, but with Mattie present it negates Patty being a willing participant IMO. I truly believe Patty folded her own clothes to stall for time.

Hurricane she may have had her diary with her to prevent her mother from reading it. Also, somewhere it was mentioned the girls purchased some items from a store. This most likely would have been the bundle along with the diary.

Well, I may have to go back and change my likely scenario. If the killer was known to Patty would he have left that diary at the crime scene? That sure wouldn't make a whole heck of alot of sense. In fact, it would be down right foolish, not to mention incriminating. Perhaps these murders were made to look like something other than what they were or the killer thought that's what he had accompished. Or perhaps these murders were carried out in such haste, the killer never saw the diary or didn't take time to check what Patty had with her.

If the bodies were moved, I'm thinking they were only moved a short distance, and that the murders likely occurred very near where the bodies were found. If there was blood in the car, then the killer and the car had to part company. Sending both to another state could have easily facilitated getting rid of the car. It most likely was abandoned or wrecked and abandoned, license plates removed.

The reason for taking effort in folding clothes was to make it look as though she was a willing participant and confirm that she was a "*advertiser censored*", which may have made the investigation seem less important and help the killer who may have been facing prison. Therefore making it to look like a planned sexual adventure gone really weird so charges wouldn't be so severe. Another thing about the diary is I believe a very important page was missing in the diary. As to how the diary got there in the first place.....it wouldn't be a surprise if her own mother knew she was a negligent mother, understatement for sure, but may have had her own trysts with some of the slime involved in what seems to have been a very slimey mixture of lawyers, judges, D.A.'s or had DWI's and she traded the diary for any charges (from then and her past) to be dropped. Afterall, she did sell the story to a detective magazine for about $50, is what was told to me.
And yes, I believe Mattie was in the wrong place, with the wrong person at the wrong time. Patti was my father's daughter and I have to say again...with her own deceased sister's words, that her mother was a alcoholic, drug abuser, treated our dad like dirt and doted on by her mother with finances. She didn't need my dad and never let him see his girls again until Patti's funeral. We lived in another state and my Dad had not seen his girls in probably 10 years as best as I can figure. Moms' custody cases were not up for dispute as much back then if one didn't have money for a lawyer. When I learned the details about Mattie and getting to know Anne I wouldn't blame their family for anything they said or thought of Patti, her mom, sister, and whoever else. But I would like everyone to please know that was the first time I remember seeing my dad cry and to this day if you were to see him, you would think this man has cried everynight since.

I was too tired last night when I posted. The last name of the family shown as Brisco or Briscoe should be Bristo or Bristow - my apologies. I have edited my post accordingly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FilmnoirFan75