NM NM - Patty Pritz, 14, & Mattie Restine, 13, Carlsbad, 11 Aug 1961 - #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
From Wikipedia: Caulk boots or cork boots (pronounced "cork" and usually called "corks") are leather nail-soled boots[1] worn by lumberjacks in the timber-producing regions of the Pacific Northwest and Canada.[2] They are worn for traction in the woods and especially in timber rafting, and were part of a lumberman's basic equipment along with axe and crosscut saw. Loggers and others who work in the woods still wear corks today.
-----------
http://tinyurl.com/pj9obv

excerpt from a book, "Dictionary of America." Worth taking a look at on the subject of caulk or cork boots popular in the 1950s and earlier.
----------

For what it's worth, it was noted that Willie D. Blair wore a size 7 1/2.
I'm betting these Amourcorks are men's boots, not women's. However if it was a woman wearing a men's size 7 1/2 boot she would wear a size 8 1/2- 9 in women's shoes. I know because I used to have to buy men's boots when I went deer hunting, and a 7 1/2 is the size I'd buy. It was not until the mid to late 1990s that boots were made expressly for outdoors women. And another thing, it was hard to find men's boots in a 7 1/2. The last pair of hunting boots I bought were men's as well because when wearing heavy wool socks you need plenty of room in the toebox, and the dingalings who've designed women's hunting boots have cut down on the space in the toebox. They're for women, ya know, so no matter where we are, we are interested in fashionable feet. Idiots. If I'm out hunting, I want warm feet period.

slingback rosewedge.jpg

Slingback Summer Wedges with cork. Could this type of shoe sole have been called Armorcork?

Funny, with all the boot styles out now, those Armorcorks don't look very impressive. I guess they were the thing in their day.

Sunshine 1950, I didn't mean at all that you should give up. People have been convicted on circumstantial evidence alone. It might be harder to convince a prosecutor of that in this day and age, and particularly under current economic conditions which aren't going to disappear anytime soon, but you have some good info and the case merits attention once more.

I have cousins myself who grew up in Carlsbad, and would've been just about the same ages as Mattie and Patty back then.

Somewhere in all those pages was given the name of the type shoe the print came from. Sounded like a guy's boot. I do agree with you that folding clothing items is not something I'd expect a man to do, but it could be that while he was filled with hate or whatever towards Patty, he may have felt remorse for killing Mattie, and did so.

Mods, if you read this, with all the info that Sunshine 1950 has on this case, we are going to need break out threads. We've never had so much just handed to us on a case, at least none that I'm aware of.

I'm sorry if I jumped on you...I didn't mean it that way...I've had to defend myself so many times regarding why Mattie and Patty should have justice...I guess I'm just touchy! Sorry.

I have posted the picture that was given to my mother....why they gave her a picture of it!??? But she kept it all those years...now I have it.

I thought it strange that the killer would fold Pattys clothes and then put her purse on top of the items...but again I'm naive when it comes to things like that.

Thanks for your support and help.

I just wanted to say I agree with your thought that the mother may have been at the scene of the crime - or it might be the wife who reported her husband to police. Abused women have been known to do crazy stuff that doesn't make any sense. She may have a guilty conscience and have gone to police later without letting them know she was at the scene. I'd like to know what size shoes both women wore.

I do not believe BOnnie killed the girls. SHe was an abused woman...and she has paid dearly for what David has done to her and their children. I have talked with her enough to know that she didn't have anything to do with the girls murder.

Now the mother is a different story...she is the one I would like to talk to...put again...the sheriff's investigator didn't and hasn't talked to her yet.

Timeline revised to reflect the sightings by Linda Lou Roberts and Nancy Mosley:

Known Timeline
Rev. 091109

April 1961. Mr. Thomas J. Smith has a confrontation with David Blair and an unknown female who were firing a pistol near his home at 1049 Standpipe Rd.

Mid-July 1961. Jimmy Ray Funk, a friend of Patty’s boyfriend Ronnie Rice, asked permission from his mother to allow Patty to spend the night at their house after Patty and Ronnie Rice claim that Patty’s mother, Betty Jo Davidson had gotten drunk and ran them off with a .22 caliber rifle because she did not like Rice. Patty spends the night sleeping in their car after being given a pillow and blanket. No work on where Rice spent the night.

Late July. Jimmy Ray Funk claims that the last time he saw Patty was late July.

Wed., Aug. 9th. Patty is with Ronnie Rice when they both told their parents that they were going to church.

Time unknown, Wed. Aug. 9th. Nancy Mosley and Linda Lou Roberts witnessed a light colored 1956 Chevrolet pass by slowly three or four times as they walked down Church St. toward the beach. She described the driver as middle aged, husky with dark hair.

Time unknown, Aug. 11th. Margret Warble, a friend of Patty’s saw the two girls as they were on their way to Patty’s aunt’s house to pick up a sailor hat.

2:30 p.m. Aug 11th. The girls stop by the McDonald’s Dry Goods Store to see Ronnie Rice who was working from 11:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.

6:00 – 6:30 p.m. Linda Lou Roberts witnessed an elderly man in a 1956 Chevrolet drive passed her house at 303 E. Church and stared. He wore a white tee shirt and had dark hair. He appeared to be husky with broad shoulders.

7:00 – 7:30 p.m. Linda Lou Roberts witnessed the two girls walk past her home at 303 E. Church St. walking in the direction of the beach.

8:00 p.m. The time Mattie was to have been home, according to what the girls told Ben Wade Gaines.

8:40 p.m. The girls are seen on the beach by Ben Wade Gaines when he gave them tickets to the rides and offered to walk them home when he got off work at 9:00 p.m. Mattie was supposed to have been home by 8:00 p.m.

9:00 p.m. Linda Lou Roberts witnessed the two girls walking west past her house at 303 E. Church St. Roberts stated that an elderly man in a 1956 Chevrolet, light colored (possibly cream colored) 2-dr. sedan with NM plates drove passed her house about 3 times, each time slowing down to watch the girls sitting in the front yard.

9:00 p.m. Keith Bunnel saw two girls get into a 1955 or 1956 GM car ( with round taillights) at 603 N. Mesquite St. The male was described only as having a mature voice and wearing a white tee shirt.

9:00 p.m. Ms. Harold Groves and Ms. O.L. Utley return to Utley’s home at 405 N. Mesquite St. Ms. Utley noted a couple riding bicycles up and down the street; the Gaines boy sitting on the porch with Ms. Davidson. Utley stated that she did not see the girls nor did she see any vehicles leaving the area.

9:00 p.m. After getting off work at the beach Ben Wade Gaines runs all the way to Patty’s house at 403 N. Mesquite St. trying to “catch up” to the two girls. Arriving and not finding the girls there he sits and waits about 45 minutes with Patty’s mother before going home.

9:00 p.m. Willie Dee and Artell Blair return home with friends from an evening of fishing. Willie Blair said that their friends stayed and visited with them until 10:00 p.m. at which time their friends left and the Blair’s went to bed.

9:00 – 9:30 p.m. Geneva Smith and her daughter saw two girls at the Arrowhead Drive-In get into a white colored car with a male described as being 27-30 yrs old wearing a yellow or tan shirt with the sleeves rolled up, possibly intoxicated. The car parked to the left side of Smith’s car giving her a good view of both the driver and the two girls as they got in. She estimated him at 6 ft, 170#’s. An employee of the Arrowhead Drive-In named Christine also made note of seeing the girls with the man and noted that the man seemed to be flowing the girls down Mesquite St. (apparently on the way into the drive-in, but unclear or unknown for sure).

10:00 -- 10:30 p.m. Mr. & Mrs. A.W. Craft and Ms. Lewis driving past the Artesia Highway area where the bodies would eventually be found, on their way to the Craft home when Ms. Lewis sees a car with bright lights turning around in a circle ¼ mi off the road in the area where the bodies would later be found.

11:30 p.m. Bill Smith driving in the Artesia highway area did not see anything unusual or see anyone else.

12:00 a.m. Aug 12, Ex-wife of David Blair states that he comes home worried and agitated. He starts to pack a bag without explanation as to what has happened or where he is going. Shortly after that his parents arrive. His father, Willie D. Blair claims that a friend in Monahans, TX has found a job for David. They leave immediately.

5:30 a.m. Aug 12th. Bill Smith driving back by the Artesia highway area sees a 1955 Chev. (pink over white) parked on Sitting Bull Falls Rd. with someone sleeping inside. LE believes that the colors may be somewhat off but that it is likely the same car that A.W. Craft saw that morning.

8:30 a.m. Aug. 12th. A.W. Craft drives back by the Artesia highway area and sees a 1955 Ford (light color two-tone cream).

9:30 a.m. Aug 13th. Willie Dee Blair and Bill Melton leave to go fishing. Melton is driving a 1956 Ford.

10:00 a.m. Aug 13th. Officer called into work to search for the missing girls.

12:40 p.m. (one report says 1:30 p.m.) Aug 13th. The bodies of the girls were reported to LE by Willie D. Blair and Bill Melton.

Time unknown. Ronnie Rice received a telephone call from Brad Lackey asking if it is true that Patty’s step-father, Cullen Davidson had killed the girls.

Mid-September. David Blair returns to Carlsbad from Monahans, TX.

I am wondering if the Gaines boy was suspicious of the girls perhaps Patty being in danger. He wanted to walk them home and ran all the way straight to Patty's. Had he seen them being watched? Did he know someone was angry with Patty? Or was he just wanting to be a girl he liked?

Anne, do you know if any rapes or murders occured in Eddy Co. before or after the girls murders? Say within a 5 year time period.

Anne, do you know if any rapes or murders occured in Eddy Co. before or after the girls murders? Say within a 5 year time period.

According to the old miners I have talked with: David had been picked up for two supposedly rapes...but he did spend time in prison for raping a teachers daughter....All were supposedly after the girls were killed. David only served 8-9 months in Santa Fe Prison for the one for sure rape he was prosecuted for.

Potash is being mined in Carlsbad. It used to be a big thing but years ago Canada dumped a lot of it in the US and a lot of mines closed up. A lot of jobs were lost back the in the mining business and it has never come back

Anne, I see you are on here now. I just found and old newspaper article about the girls that I have not seen you post on here. I want to read through it be fore I call you.

Anne, I see you are on here now. I just found and old newspaper article about the girls that I have not seen you post on here. I want to read through it be fore I call you.

Where did you find it? Most of the time you can't find anything on the case...just what I have written on the other forums.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kayraeyn123