DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Information from New Mexico State Police
Date: 2/2/1962

Officer Clayton

On 1/12/62 Clayton and Retired FBI Agent D.A. Bryce and Lt. Smith
Went to an office that had been set up be the Headquarters for the murder investigation , the address was 211 North Canyon Street in Carlsbad.

1/20/62 Returned to murder scene, determined amount of time from where the girls were last seen by Bunnel to murder scene.
Drove 60 m.p.h. Took 19 minutes to reach scene. It is 13 1/10 miles from that point to murder scene. Review case with Lt. Smith.

LindaRobertsNancyMoselyInterviewJan.jpg

This is an interview with Linda Roberts and Nancy Mosely
posted in the New Mexico State Police Records/Reports
1/16/62

Would it be out of line to ask you, Sunshine1950, to post the photo of Nichols which was given you by his family? Or could you tell us more about his physical description? If you post the photo, maybe someone would recognize him and come forward with additional information. Too bad a composite wasn't drawn in 1961 and posted throughout town, but more information on this "lurking" man has possibly recently come to light. By the way, wasn't "lurking" the exact verb I used in my earlier post? "Lurking" is a good description of what I believe Nichols was doing in Carlsbad during his visit.

We'll work on whittling away at the other conflicting details, while still keeping open minds and developing the other suspects, but for now a picture of Nichols would be most beneficial.

You are doing a great job! My gut feeling is still Nichols - more and more all the time...but I understand not everyone is in agreement - that's o.k. too, as there is value in differing opinions at this stage.

Okay I have the address of the Arrowhead Drive In....someone emailed it to me.

It was 802 N. Mesquite St. It was just across from the old high school (now PR Levya).

So the driver of that car could have went straight down Mesquite Street.

Since he was headed south it was necessary to either turn around or go around the block to head back north if he was headed to the Arrowhead Drive-In. As fish1966 says he most likely took W. Bonbright St west to N. Lake St, then north to W. Church St, and finally east to the Arrowhead Drive-In.

Keith Brunnel's sighting was at 9:00 p.m. and Geneva Smith and daughter, along with the employee at the Arrowhead said that it was between 9:00 - 9:30 p.m. The only thing that seems to be in dispute in this theory is that Christine, the Arrowhead employee said that the man followed the girls down N. Mesquite St. to the Drive-in. This is probably not correct because if the car turned west on W. Bonbright to N. Lake there is no street to get back to N. Mesquite until you get to W. Church St.

Hello Sunshine 1950. I am so sorry you lost your sister so long ago. What wonderful reports you've provided! As someone else said best info I've seen on WS.

I find this case compelling, but without male dna evidence, I seriously doubt anyone's ever going to be named the killer of these girls, and that's truly a shame! Still, I think whodunit can be deduced.

I am not through reading all the info yet, but Blair and Nichols intrigue me the most so far.

I believe whoever accosted the girls that night had a gun, and whether they knew the person or not, I think they were frightened, and got into the car. Sure wish Bunnel had reported he heard the guy scream at them, "get in, now," but most likely the killer had also seen Bunnel, and behaved in a more reserved manner than he would have if Bunnel hadn't been there.

I am not sure the girls at the Arrowhead Drive In were the same two girls. The driver's behavior doesn't fit the scenario.

I noticed right away that when questioned, Willie Blair made sure to say he only owned one gun, the 22 long rifle. I found that quite interesting.

There's a real discrepancy between what W. D. Blair said, and what Melton said, and I can't imagine why that was never cleared up. Melton claimed that Blair seemed to already know where the bodies were, but Blair claimed it was Melton's idea to be on that road shooting rabbits. At least, it seems to me that's the road they were shooting rabbits on.

What was the location of Cox's farm or ranch in relation to where the girls were found? Do we have a specific location for where the two men were hunting rabbits?

If it had been Melton's idea to drive down that road, that doesn't compute with his claim that Blair seemed to know where the bodies were. If Blair was involved in this, and I do believe he was at some level, then he well knew that Melton's tires would cover up those of his own or his son's car, so he would've had a motive for having Melton drive that road.

That Blair was one of the two to discover the bodies takes away from the shoe print or boot print found at the scene since Blair had already been there. IIRC though, Blair and Melton said they didn't stop, and get out of the car. Just spotted the bodies, circled around, and went back to town and reported their findings.

A size 9 shoe is considered a small foot for a man, so a size 7 1/2 is really small. I can't believe there was no follow up on this either. If someone's dad, uncle or grandpa, other than W. D. Blair wore that sized shoe that might be very revealing. Otherwise, Willie D. Blair is the only one known to wear a 7 1/2, and who can definitively be placed at the scene.

Shoe size does tend to correlate with height so someone wearing a 7 1/2 men's shoe is going to be 5'7 or less in all probability.

Hello Sunshine 1950. I am so sorry you lost your sister so long ago. What wonderful reports you've provided! As someone else said best info I've seen on WS.

I find this case compelling, but without male dna evidence, I seriously doubt anyone's ever going to be named the killer of these girls, and that's truly a shame! Still, I think whodunit can be deduced.

I am not through reading all the info yet, but Blair and Nichols intrigue me the most so far.

I believe whoever accosted the girls that night had a gun, and whether they knew the person or not, I think they were frightened, and got into the car. Sure wish Bunnel had reported he heard the guy scream at them, "get in, now," but most likely the killer had also seen Bunnel, and behaved in a more reserved manner than he would have if Bunnel hadn't been there.

I am not sure the girls at the Arrowhead Drive In were the same two girls. The driver's behavior doesn't fit the scenario.

I noticed right away that when questioned, Willie Blair made sure to say he only owned one gun, the 22 long rifle. I found that quite interesting.

There's a real discrepancy between what W. D. Blair said, and what Melton said, and I can't imagine why that was never cleared up. Melton claimed that Blair seemed to already know where the bodies were, but Blair claimed it was Melton's idea to be on that road shooting rabbits. At least, it seems to me that's the road they were shooting rabbits on.

What was the location of Cox's farm or ranch in relation to where the girls were found? Do we have a specific location for where the two men were hunting rabbits?

If it had been Melton's idea to drive down that road, that doesn't compute with his claim that Blair seemed to know where the bodies were. If Blair was involved in this, and I do believe he was at some level, then he well knew that Melton's tires would cover up those of his own or his son's car, so he would've had a motive for having Melton drive that road.

That Blair was one of the two to discover the bodies takes away from the shoe print or boot print found at the scene since Blair had already been there. IIRC though, Blair and Melton said they didn't stop, and get out of the car. Just spotted the bodies, circled around, and went back to town and reported their findings.

A size 9 shoe is considered a small foot for a man, so a size 7 1/2 is really small. I can't believe there was no follow up on this either. If someone's dad, uncle or grandpa, other than W. D. Blair wore that sized shoe that might be very revealing. Otherwise, Willie D. Blair is the only one known to wear a 7 1/2, and who can definitively be placed at the scene.

Shoe size does tend to correlate with height so someone wearing a 7 1/2 men's shoe is going to be 5'7 or less in all probability.

Thank you for your comments. I have to agree with you on most of it...but I will never give up seeking Justice for my sister's and Patty's deaths. If the law enforcement had worked harder than they should have seen this information that definitely has a pattern to what happened. Again I think there is more to this case than Blair...and his parents...I think someone else is involved that had influence in the community....or like someone mentioned in other reports that Artell Blair was having a fling with one of the judges and he helped her cover it up....I don't know...but this case needs to be laid out and looked at. ANd I truly believe that can happen on this website. I appreciate all the help that they can give me.
I have also wondered if that 7 1/2 shoe might have been a mothers footprint...since I feel like a mother was out there at that scene...making sure everything was placed just right.

Yes, the large building that you are referring to , Ann was the electric plant. It was on the east side of the river by a dam down river from the beach swimming area and the beach bath house that you may be calling the municipal building. I too want you to find the murderers of the girls. Patty was my best friend when she lived on Mountain View and she went to Monterrry Elementary School before moving to where she lived on Mesquite. I would like to speak to someone in person about this and not on this site if posssible. What is the location of the man Tom Beyer?

A blood relative!
with LE files!
You came prepared!
I thought this was a case that got bumped up, because it had been awhile since anyone posted on it. But i see its a new thread, with a lot of responses. You have brought a dream we have here, LE files on a cold case!
its only cold, for they say its cold, but to me/you, it does-not matter how long this occurred, for to you, being a blood relative especially, it may have well occurred yesterday or today, for you still have the video, pictures etc, in your mind, from events back then, and you can validate and or confirm things now from back then, that not even LE would be able to do today, for they don't have what you have in your mind.
You are connected to this case with LOVE, they are connected to this case by Law.
I commend you for your continuous investigation into this, and not letting it go, its your energy and memories/emotions with your sisters guidance that will get it resolved for you, for she knows you are trying to do just that, and that is one reason, main reason perhaps, you are here!

My question i had, just by looking through, and not reading everything, which i wont be able to until this weekend.......
But in the autopsy of the one girl, whom was dating.
was it rumored, or verify through autopsy she was pregnant, or have made comments she thought she was pregnant?
Thank you in advance and welcome to he board.
If this question has been asked and answered , i am sorry to re-post.
and you can just ignore the question.

Sunshine 1950, I didn't mean at all that you should give up. People have been convicted on circumstantial evidence alone. It might be harder to convince a prosecutor of that in this day and age, and particularly under current economic conditions which aren't going to disappear anytime soon, but you have some good info and the case merits attention once more.

I have cousins myself who grew up in Carlsbad, and would've been just about the same ages as Mattie and Patty back then.

Somewhere in all those pages was given the name of the type shoe the print came from. Sounded like a guy's boot. I do agree with you that folding clothing items is not something I'd expect a man to do, but it could be that while he was filled with hate or whatever towards Patty, he may have felt remorse for killing Mattie, and did so.

Mods, if you read this, with all the info that Sunshine 1950 has on this case, we are going to need break out threads. We've never had so much just handed to us on a case, at least none that I'm aware of.

I would like to apologize for any misunderstanding on my post #'s 182 & 183. I was not suggesting that this is the route that the driver took that night. I was only trying to make clear the street positions in regard to the location of the Arrowhead.

I hope I can word this correctly without appearing insensitive. Were the girls moved to the location where they were discovered soon after being killed? Was there a way back then to tell by decomposition how long the girls had been dead before they were moved to the area? Were they killed immediately the night they went missing or were they alive until a short time before they were moved to the location of discovery? I am only asking because if they were held somewhere alive for any length of time perhaps there could be someone that would be suspicious of what was going on.

I personally feel like there were two individuals that killed the girls...I just can't see one guy controlling two teenage girls. Of course...neither girl was very big...but still....how would one man control two girls at the same time?

Sunshine, one man controlling two girls is easy enough to accomplish. All the man would have to do is put a knife to one girls throat or a gun to one girls head and tell the other not to move or he will kill her friend. He could even force one girl into the trunk while he dispatches the other girl. Sadly, there are definitely ways that a perp could pull this off alone.

Now, I want to discuss what you can do to get this case solved. I think that you are going to have to raise the profile of this case by taking it to a state and then possibly national level. You need to get some help by people in high places who can place pressure on the police to solve this case. A lot of times with cold cases, police feel like the person responsible is already dead or in prison so there's no point in wasting money working on the case. So they just let it go, which is grossly unfair to the families of the victims. What you need to do is to create a network of victim advocates for yourself who are in positions of power and CAN pressure the police to solve this case.

1. Start by writing a synopsis of the case and investigation - try to keep it to 1 page. First and last paragraph should be a plea for assistance in getting this case solved and information about how the police will not work with you. Include the information about the coverup. Attach copies of the police reports and various articles. Attach copies of information about various phone calls you have made to police and how they have and have NOT responded.

2. Send the letter to New Mexico's state governor's office, also to the state Congressman, Representative and Senator who would be over the area where the crime occurred. If you know folks from New Mexico, get them to sign a petition asking for help and attach the petition along with the letter and all the information.
http://www.ncsl.org/public/leglinks.cfm.
http://www.house.gov/writerep/
http://www.senate.gov/contacting/index.cfm

3. Send the letter to Mark Klaas and and ask him for help in raising the profile of this case.
KlaasKids Foundation • P.O. Box 925, Sausalito, CA 94966
Tel: (415) 331-6867 • Fax: (415) 331-5633 • Email: klaaskids@pacbell.net

4. Submit the case to America's most wanted:
America's Most Wanted
PO Box Crime TV
Washington DC 20016

http://www.amw.com/about_amw/faq.cfm#cases

5. Contact the Schmidt's and ask them for advice on how to raise awareness of this case - these are very nice people and more accessible than some others, so I think that you could get some excellent insights from them on what to do:
http://sos.lawrence.com/

For more information, please call Gene or Peggy Schmidt at 913-345-0362; or email to sos@planetkc.com

6. Make appointments to meet with everyone you sent letters to in government and sit down with them and ask for their help. Explain about the possible coverup.

7. Finally, if you don't get any response, go to the media. Make appointments with local TV stations and newspapers and tell them your story. Give out the names of EVERYONE who has ignored your pleas for help. Make yourself heard.

Basically, I'm telling you not to stop at police. Since they won't take your calls or help you, you are going to have to go to a higher authority and make a big stink about this situation until police are politically forced to take action.

This is the New Mexico Victim's rights bill which you can cite:
New Mexico

(1)The right to respect
A victim or the victim’s representative shall have the right to be treated with fairness and respect for the victim's dignity and privacy throughout the criminal justice process.
(2)The right to be informed
The right to notification of court proceedings
The right to information about the conviction, sentencing, imprisonment, escape or release of the accused
The right to have the prosecuting attorney notify the victim's employer, if requested by the victim, of the necessity of the victim's cooperation and testimony in a court proceeding that may necessitate the absence of the victim from work for good cause
(3)The right to be present
The right to attend all public court proceedings the accused has the right to attend
(4)The right to be heard
The right to confer with the prosecution;
(b) The right to make a statement to the court at sentencing and at any post-sentencing hearings for the accused;
Please refer to the State of Amendment for further information regarding the victims' rights.
Sec. 24. [Crime victims' rights.]
A. A victim of arson resulting in bodily injury, aggravated arson, aggravated assault, aggravated battery, dangerous use of explosives, negligent use of a deadly weapon, murder, voluntary manslaughter, involuntary manslaughter, kidnapping, criminal sexual penetration, criminal sexual contact of a minor, homicide by vehicle, great bodily injury by vehicle or abandonment or abuse of a child or that victim's representative shall have the following rights as provided by law:
The right to be treated with fairness and respect for the victim's dignity and privacy throughout the criminal justice process;
The right to timely disposition of the case;
The right to be reasonably protected from the accused throughout the criminal justice process;
The right to notification of court proceedings;
The right to attend all public court proceedings the accused has the right to attend;
The right to confer with the prosecution;
The right to make a statement to the court at sentencing and at any post-sentencing hearings for the accused;
The right to restitution from the person convicted of the criminal conduct that caused the victim's loss or injury;
The right to information about the conviction, sentencing, imprisonment, escape or release of the accused;
The right to have the prosecuting attorney notify the victim's employer, if requested by the victim, of the necessity of the victim's cooperation and testimony in a court proceeding that may necessitate the absence of the victim from work for good cause; and
The right to promptly receive any property belonging to the victim that is being held for evidentiary purposes by a law enforcement agency or the prosecuting attorney, unless there are compelling evidentiary reasons for retention of the victim's property.
B. A person accused or convicted of a crime against a victim shall have no standing to object to any failure by any person to comply with the provisions of Subsection A of Section 24 of Article 2 of the constitution of New Mexico. C. The provisions of this amendment shall not take effect until the legislature enacts laws to implement this amendment.

Mattie was much shorter than Patty. Patty would have been the taller girl. Mattie the shortest.
I would say that with the cuts that were on Patty's back that she could have been raped on the ground. I haven't posted any of that stuff because of the information contained in the autopsy reports. Patty had cuts...deep cuts on her back and on her knees. They could identify what did those...maybe a rock or maybe knife, of sharpened stick.

The autopsy report also noted cuts above and on her nipples - has anyone considered that she might have been bitten - perhaps by someone with irregular teeth?

Thank you for your comments. I have to agree with you on most of it...but I will never give up seeking Justice for my sister's and Patty's deaths. If the law enforcement had worked harder than they should have seen this information that definitely has a pattern to what happened. Again I think there is more to this case than Blair...and his parents...I think someone else is involved that had influence in the community....or like someone mentioned in other reports that Artell Blair was having a fling with one of the judges and he helped her cover it up....I don't know...but this case needs to be laid out and looked at. ANd I truly believe that can happen on this website. I appreciate all the help that they can give me.
I have also wondered if that 7 1/2 shoe might have been a mothers footprint...since I feel like a mother was out there at that scene...making sure everything was placed just right.

I just wanted to say I agree with your thought that the mother may have been at the scene of the crime - or it might be the wife who reported her husband to police. Abused women have been known to do crazy stuff that doesn't make any sense. She may have a guilty conscience and have gone to police later without letting them know she was at the scene. I'd like to know what size shoes both women wore.

Just a thought, perhaps Bonnie Blair was forced by her abusive husband David to help him in disposing of the bodies OR she could have killed them in a fit of rage and jealousy because David had gotten Patty pregnant, thus her footprint. Did Mrs. Blair know Nichols?
(Artesia's zip code is 88210)

I have also wondered if that 7 1/2 shoe might have been a mothers footprint...
since I feel like a mother was out there at that scene...making sure everything was placed just right.

Post #139, pg #6 of this thread in the NMSP report is where it says that a plaster cast was made of the size 7-1/2 shoe print found at the scene, and that it was later determined that it was identical to a “Armorcork” (brand name) sole. Does anyone remember this brand name? If you Google “Armorcork” there is no brand name that comes back. It comes back as two words “armor cork” and does suggest a woman’s wedge shaped shoe with a cork sole, but there is also a listing for a shoe (work shoe?) with an “armor cork cell foam” sole. Was Armorcork a brand name in the 1950 – 1960’s that is no longer around?

Sunshine 1950, I would concur with your family's opinion that Dan McGrew was murdered. Titus's actions in calling McGrew that evening suggest someone who had paid for or ordered a hit, and wanted aural confirmation it was carried out. I can assure you Titus knew the difference between a door slamming and a gunshot.

Post #139, pg #6 of this thread in the NMSP report is where it says that a plaster cast was made of the size 7-1/2 shoe print found at the scene, and that it was later determined that it was identical to a “Armorcork” (brand name) sole. Does anyone remember this brand name? If you Google “Armorcork” there is no brand name that comes back. It comes back as two words “armor cork” and does suggest a woman’s wedge shaped shoe with a cork sole, but there is also a listing for a shoe (work shoe?) with an “armor cork cell foam” sole. Was Armorcork a brand name in the 1950 – 1960’s that is no longer around?

I'm assuming these are steel toed workboots - back in the 1960's they didn't have performance insoles or soles for shoes. Cork would probably have been used as an insole to ease stress on legs, feet and ankles - armor - the steel toe. However, both men and women would wear these types of boots if they were doing any kind of factory or industrial or railroad type work. If we could date how far these particular soles go back - for example, if they were from the 1950's or even earlier (as people in the early 1960's didn't buy new workboots very often) we would have some clue as to the age of the person who wore the boots. I can think of a scenario where the mom wore them working in an aircraft factory during WWII, for example.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kayraeyn123