NM NM - Patty Pritz, 14, & Mattie Restine, 13, Carlsbad, 11 Aug 1961 - #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I would like to make you all aware of something you may not know about. Target (yes, the retail store) has their own forensics lab.

I attended a conference a couple years ago and was able to hear firsthand how they deal with cases they receive from law enforcement. They do not ask for any monetary compensation for their work. They only ask for a patch from the agency they help.

Here is a link to them-
http://pressroom.target.com/pr/news/security/le-partnership/forensics-support.aspx

If there is an agency we can find that would be willing to work on this case, this may be an option.

Thank all of you for sharing information about "CrimeStoppers." I will give this some thought and examine the reports I have and see if I can develop a tip to give to the CS program. I do know of three tips that came into the sheriff's office that was ignored...maybe they could be given to the CS program and see it would help with the case.

Sorry to be away for so long. I have missed you guys. SS, I too am so sad for this to have last so long without earthly answers and I do know at in the end all things will be revealed and that this will not go well for those who have not repented and turn to Christ. On the other hand in reference to your post of a book being written I think only the lowest of low life would attempt to make a monetary profit from the deaths of these girls. Or to take advantage of people sincerely posting anything on this site trying to get any type relief from years of hurt would be a truly loathsome person.

I agree, fish1966. We all should know who the "rights" to this real life story belong to - and who should tell it. Hopefully, none of our fellow Websleuthers would have ulterior motives of capitalizing on Sunshine's loss and pain, and of all our efforts to help her.

I pulled many newspaper articles and posted them, solely to assist Sunshine with her research in providing those she might not have, not for someone else's profit. I certainly did not intend them to provide research for a shadow writer. I'm sure many would join us in being very upset if our efforts at helping Sunshine are used in any manner not intended.

I'm not worried about this. No one could begin to tell this story with the inside perspective of SS. Certainly some of the big name, clever writer COULD research and put together a good book about this crime. But I can't see this happening WITHOUT making Sunshine a major contributor. And I know that Sunshine is not in this to launch a literary career.

The problem is once again that few people know or care what happened one night in southern New Mexico.:banghead: The problem is not so much WHO will tell the story but rather will the story ever be told?

Legacy,

Thank you for posting this information. It is important to know that there are many Crime Stoppers programs in New Mexico. It is also important to know that Eddy County Crime Stoppers does not need to be the one contacted if there is a fear that the tip given will not be followed up by law enforcement. The information can be given to another program and passed on to the State Police, FBI or other agency.

Technological advances also allow some Crime Stoppers programs to take tips on their websites which then allows the director of the program to have a two-way dialog with the tipster. The tipster must enter a password and check back to see if the director has asked any additional questions to help further the investigation. This ability is not being utilized by all Crime Stoppers programs, but there are some in New Mexico that are using it.

I know that Crime Stoppers works with the media, public and law enforcement to not only prevent crime but to solve crimes that have occurred and tips have helped police solve all kinds of cases.

I encourage anyone with information on this crime or any other crime to contact Crime Stoppers. If you need help finding a Crime Stoppers program, please message me privately and I will find the contact information for you.

Well calling in a tip, recording the call sets up a record if ECSO doesn't follow up on the tip eh?

Sorry I've been away. I just got too bummed out after learning of Titus's death, then managed to get the flu which I'm still recovering from.

Well calling in a tip, recording the call sets up a record if ECSO doesn't follow up on the tip eh?

Sorry I've been away. I just got too bummed out after learning of Titus's death, then managed to get the flu which I'm still recovering from.

justthinkin glad to see your back...hope you get well fast. Did you have the swine flu? Hope not. Yes, when CT died it hit me hard as well. I know he had alot of information about this case that needed to be shared...hopefully it will be shared another way. I tried recording some calls... but! I'm not very good at it. I know someone told me to go to Radio Shack for a recorder that was made just for that...I guess I'll have to go look at them! You get well and please stay in touch!

Justthinkin,

Crime Stoppers does NOT record calls. Also, New Mexico has statutes in place to protect the caller and any records associated with a tip. What would happen in the most feasible scenario is this: A tip goes to a Crime Stoppers program within New Mexico, but not to Eddy County. That tip can then be forwarded to the FBI or NMSP. Because of the allegations of impropriety with ECSO, the tip would not be sent to them, but rather another agency who could do an investigation on the improprieties. Therefore, the first tip sent to said Crime Stoppers program should be a tip solely about the "botched" investigation, missing evidence, etc. from ECSO.

It would then be the responsibility of the investigator with the FBI or NMSP to get back with the Crime Stoppers program and let them know where their own investigation stands.

I hope this helps explain a little further.

He buried the girls...

Attachments

• Hawkins - Carl and Henry Oscar.doc
    32 KB · Views: 77
Justthinkin,

Crime Stoppers does NOT record calls. Also, New Mexico has statutes in place to protect the caller and any records associated with a tip. What would happen in the most feasible scenario is this: A tip goes to a Crime Stoppers program within New Mexico, but not to Eddy County. That tip can then be forwarded to the FBI or NMSP. Because of the allegations of impropriety with ECSO, the tip would not be sent to them, but rather another agency who could do an investigation on the improprieties. Therefore, the first tip sent to said Crime Stoppers program should be a tip solely about the "botched" investigation, missing evidence, etc. from ECSO.

It would then be the responsibility of the investigator with the FBI or NMSP to get back with the Crime Stoppers program and let them know where their own investigation stands.

Thanks, I was suggesting the person calling in the tip record the call for their own record of it being made.

He buried the girls...

Are you saying that Mr. West buried the girls? Mattie's funeral was held at the West Funeral Home. I thoght a man by the name of Thomas J. Dresser owned the funeral home at that time. That funeral home is where the autopsies were preformed on the girls as well. Thank you for sharing your family tree with us. My I ask where Tommy Hawkins is? I would really like to talk with him sometime. I understand he was one of the young men used to mark the placement of the girls bodies when they were out at the murder scene. He and Terry Calvani. This information is in the orginial investigation reports.
I have some questions regarding why they were used for that scenerio. Maybe Tommy Hawkins could tell me a little about that day. I do know that Tommy is Carl Hawkins son.

Justthinkin,

Thank You so much for the information on this subject. I will try and figure out what needs to be done with this information.

I'm sorry that I have caused confusion. It is difficullt for me to keep up with the facts vs opinions.

The previous attachment concerning Carl Hawkins was taken from a genealogy website that I found on the Internet. I put the address below the part I copied and pasted to Word Document. He was referring to that website, not WebSleuths.

I assumed that a person that was law enforcement / undertaker could certainly be suspect in "conflict of interest" concerning evidence collected at that time and lost later.

I'm sorry that I have caused confusion. It is difficullt for me to keep up with the facts vs opinions.

The previous attachment concerning Carl Hawkins was taken from a genealogy website that I found on the Internet. I put the address below the part I copied and pasted to Word Document. He was referring to that website, not WebSleuths.

I assumed that a person that was law enforcement / undertaker could certainly be suspect in "conflict of interest" concerning evidence collected at that time and lost later.

Clover1

I'm sorry but I don't understand what you are saying here..."I assumed that a person that was law enforcement/undertaker could certainley be suspect in " conflict of interest" concerning evidence collected at that time and lost later."
Could you help me to understand this statement?

Clover1

I'm sorry but I don't understand what you are saying here..."I assumed that a person that was law enforcement/undertaker could certainley be suspect in " conflict of interest" concerning evidence collected at that time and lost later."
Could you help me to understand this statement?

I guess I'm just lost in the generations. I had thought Carl Hawkins was the funeral person and the investigating officer. I was wrong. I'm just suspicious of everyone, I guess, since I didn't know any of them. I wish I could find a real connection, somewhere. I thought that might have been a clue.

I guess I'm just lost in the generations. I had thought Carl Hawkins was the funeral person and the investigating officer. I was wrong. I'm just suspicious of everyone, I guess, since I didn't know any of them. I wish I could find a real connection, somewhere. I thought that might have been a clue.

Clover1, you're absolutely right. We don't know that a potential suspect may have been eliminated because he had connections. That's certainly yet another possibility why this case has never been solved.

Perhaps you or Legacy could run a search on Ancestry, and locate TH's movements.

Carl Hawkins was suppose to take over the duties of being the Sheriff of Eddy County on the Monday following the girls deaths. He started early. But he hadn't been actually sworn in at the times the girls were killed.
Clover1 I guess I just assumed you were related to the Calvani's and Hawkins. I am also suspicious of everyone...but I have narrowed it down! So don't feel lonesome! Thanks for the information.

Clover1, I hope I haven't confused you even more. Carl Hawkins was the sheriff, and he did work in West's Funeral Home, but not at the same time. He was in the funeral home business before going into law enforcement. Mr. West was Hawkin's step-father.

Heck, I had this wrong too because I also thought that the funeral home was still owned by relatives of the sheriff at the time the girls were murdered.

Are you saying that Mr. West buried the girls? Mattie's funeral was held at the West Funeral Home. I thoght a man by the name of Thomas J. Dresser owned the funeral home at that time. That funeral home is where the autopsies were preformed on the girls as well. Thank you for sharing your family tree with us. My I ask where Tommy Hawkins is? I would really like to talk with him sometime. I understand he was one of the young men used to mark the placement of the girls bodies when they were out at the murder scene. He and Terry Calvani. This information is in the orginial investigation reports.
I have some questions regarding why they were used for that scenerio. Maybe Tommy Hawkins could tell me a little about that day. I do know that Tommy is Carl Hawkins son.

You can Google 'Terry Calvani'. Wikipedia says he was 14 in 1961. He lives in Nashville, now. He was Carl Hawkin's nephew. You might have already known that...

You can Google 'Terry Calvani'. Wikipedia says he was 14 in 1961. He lives in Nashville, now. He was Carl Hawkin's nephew. You might have already known that...

Yes, I knew about the Calvani.com website. My aunt and uncle lived in Carlsbad for many, many years after my sister's murder. I asked them if they knew the Carl Hawkin's family and they told me about the Calvani family being related. Then I read in the original investigative reports that Tommy Hawkins, son of Carl Hawkins, and Terry Calvani, nephew of Carl Hawkins were used as individuals to be placed at the murder scene so the law enforcement agencies could see where the individual they had in custody placed the girls. Strange if you ask me. But that is why I wanted to know where Tommy Hawkins was living so I could talk with him. Terry Calvani has a website...and an email address on there....but he doesn't answer his emails. So I'm still wondering about the whole mess.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kayraeyn123