GUILTY NM - Renezmae Calzada, 5, found deceased, Rio Arriba County, 8 Sept 2019 *Arrest*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I hadn't read that information before. So thank you so much for telling me.

If true, I am even more worried for little RC if possible.

I remember another case where an 8 year old girl was abducted from her home never to be found. That one was in Florida iirc, and the police believe he killed her, and then put her body in a gator invested area. :(

He wasn't a boyfriend of the mom's, but the parents had let him stay there because he was a coworker, and they all worked together in the crop fields or fruit orchards. He also tired to start a fire meaning to burn everyone up inside the home when he left with the little girl.

It was such a betrayal to her family because they both trusted him never dreaming he would take their little daughter, much less murderer her. :(

Jmho

(My thoughts as well. Very Diana-ish vibe wise, moo. I actually mentioned that upstream earlier)

I had to snip a lot of this to comply with the 10% copyright rule. I recommend reading the entire article.

Sep 10, 2019 / 04:30 PM MDT / Updated: Sep 10, 2019 / 04:40 PM MDT
Search continues in Rio Arriba County for missing 5-year-old girl
[...]

So far, investigators have not provided any updates. They had planned on holding a news conference on Tuesday afternoon, but then canceled it due to a lack of new information. Meanwhile, members of the community say they’re doing what they can to help this investigation.

[...]

KRQE News 13 is also learning more about Renezmae’s stepfather, Malcolm Torres, who was taken into custody for questioning.

Torres is essentially the girl’s stepdad. He’s not married to her mom, but they have a young son together.

Just last month, Renezmae’s mom filed for child support from Torres for their toddler son, but investigators aren’t saying if they were together Sunday.

Investigators have not said if Torres was at the house Sunday at all, but KRQE News 13 has learned the home where Renezmae was last seen is Torres’ family’s home.

[...]

On his Facebook page, Torres says he works at the Nambe warehouse in Espanola. The company, which makes housewares, says it fired him because of his lackluster work ethic.

[...]

Do we know when he got fired?

Noting location just in case for awareness space purposes:

“Nambe warehouse in Espanola.”

Also noting from above history of DV:

“V had marks on her neck and face, and a split lip.

She said Torres attacked her in the middle of the night...”

And, they give yet another variation on where Renezmae was last seen. From the same article linked previously.

Renezmae was last seen playing in her front yard abut 9:45 a.m. Sunday, in the vicinity of McCurdy Road and Tesuque Lane in central Española.​

I can't believe the last location seen needs to be vague. This borders on the ridiculous.

Search for girl continues, but no suspect in custody

Renezmae Calzada

Authorities didn’t identify the possible suspect Monday. But sheriff’s spokesman Randy Sanches said Tuesday that the man who was arrested – who turned out to be Malcolm Torres, 25, boyfriend of the missing girl’s mother – is not a suspect, and that law enforcement agencies don’t have a suspect in the missing child case.​
Snipped and bolded by me.
I'll go report my posts.

There no longer is a specific potential suspect in the disappearance of a 5-year-old Española girl, a spokesman for the Rio Arriba County Sheriff’s Office said Tuesday, as a massive search for the child continued.

Sheriff James Lujan had told a news conference Monday that a man taken into custody Sunday night was being held on three warrants out of Bernalillo County and that “it’s possible” he was a suspect in the disappearance of Renezmae Calzada, who was last seen Sunday morning playing outside her home in central Española.

Renezmae Calzada

Authorities didn’t identify the possible suspect Monday. But sheriff’s spokesman Randy Sanches said Tuesday that the man who was arrested – who turned out to be Malcolm Torres, 25, boyfriend of the missing girl’s mother – is not a suspect, and that law enforcement agencies don’t have a suspect in the missing child case.

“We have absolutely nothing,” Sanches said Tuesday. “We have no starting point.”​

Interesting.

I know you posted this early this morning (it's still the same day for me. lol) and I meant to reply all day. We know now that the house is closer to El Llano Rd so this may just be a moot point.

This is not a real populated area. Not many sub-divisions in "Espy". There are still a lot of small farms/vacant land around here. Families are multi-generational and some have been there for over 400 years. Elders may have large tracts of land and split them off for off-spring or just allow them to place a home on the "family estate". That looks to be the case here.

McCurdy Rd is not busy on a daily/hourly basis (unless children are being driven to or from school) except for Sunday mornings, which is a nightmare when church services are offered. MurCurdy Rd is so narrow in some spots that cars must drive partially on the dirt shoulder to pass by each other. If you look further South where El LLano Rd splits off of McCurdy Rd, you will see 2 hairpin turns under the trees. There is one lane there around those 2 blind corners. You are taking your life into your hands when you use that stretch. [10 MPH, please]. Such is the road culture of Northern New Mexico. (I guess I'm a dare-devil as I use this road to skirt Espy when I'm heading North). There is only 1 stop sign (main entrance to EVHS) on the entire stretch of El Llano Rd.

I went to McCurdy (it was a private school then) for a semester when I was a teenager. I still have step-family along El LLano Rd. They had a farm with farm animals along Llano ditch (called an acequia) and gave "chunks" of land to their posterity, same as this guy's family.

RaspPie can confirm or correct.

From above:

“There are still a lot of small farms/vacant land around here”

I love your maps! I love all you do here!!!
Your McCurdy Rd map is assuming far South of where she was last seen. The address previously given is due West of the football field at EVHS.
I think they were searching the Rio Grande under the Santa Clara Bridge (by the photo posted), not at the actual tribal offices.

Edited for clarity.

Marking / From above:

“The address previously given is due West of the football field at EVHS.
I think they were searching the Rio Grande under the Santa Clara Bridge.”

Any reports of attempted abductions in the area? Any other unsolved cases / MP cases in the area?

RSO List:
Rio Arriba County, NM Registered Sex Offenders | Homefacts

—-

More about the County, the largest city is Espanola.

Additionally:

“According to the U.S. Census Bureau, the county has a total area of 5,896 square miles (15,270 km2), of which 5,861 square miles (15,180 km2) are land and 35 square miles (91 km2) (0.6%) are water.[5] It is the fifth-largest county in New Mexico by area. The highest point in the county is the summit of Truchas Peak at 13,102 feet (3,993 m).

The county acquired its present proportions after the creation of San Juan County and other adjustments.[4]

Adjacent counties
Nationally Protected Areas:
Rio Arriba County, New Mexico - Wikipedia

Last edited:
Am I the only one who found it weird initially that LE said they didn't believe the parents were involved, and that there has to be evidence of a non-family abduction for an Amber Alert, but then the father of Renezmae's sibling was arrested? I would (speaking as a half sibling and New Mexican) consider the father of a half sibling to be family, whether or not they were married to my parent. I understand that it's not unusual for legal definitions of words and the common use to differ, but I wish they would clarify in those cases. As long as LE are on the same page, though, I suppose it doesn't really matter much. (Edited to add that I'm not discounting the possibility that LE's definitions and mine are the same, since he wasn't charged with anything new. My point is that I don't know exactly what LE means.)

Last edited:
@Jethro4WS
A starting point? No, starting point?
So no time line. No nothing!!!
So FBI still on case?
I know. We need a timeline. All we know is that her Mom left for work at 9:30 am, and the child was playing in the front yard.

After that point, it is all unknown. Who was caring for her that day? Where was her little brother:?

When was she last seen that day?

How could an entire day and early evening go by, before anyone notices she is missing?

Last edited:
The timeline could be much earlier than 9:30 am. The fact that someone said they saw her at that time and that location is not gospel, and is not fact, especially if only one person is saying it. IMO

When/where/with whom was Renezmae last independently seen outside the family before the 9:30 am alleged sighting? That's where the timeline needs to start, IMO.

9:30am on a Sunday seems early for a 5 year old to be playing outside alone. I have 6 kids so I know this isn't unheard of but i wouldn't be surprised to find out that sighting isnt correct. -IMO
I don't think we know that she was playing alone, do we? She might have been but I don't remember that being reported. MOO

There no longer is a specific potential suspect in the disappearance of a 5-year-old Española girl, a spokesman for the Rio Arriba County Sheriff’s Office said Tuesday, as a massive search for the child continued.

Sheriff James Lujan had told a news conference Monday that a man taken into custody Sunday night was being held on three warrants out of Bernalillo County and that “it’s possible” he was a suspect in the disappearance of Renezmae Calzada, who was last seen Sunday morning playing outside her home in central Española.

Renezmae Calzada

Authorities didn’t identify the possible suspect Monday. But sheriff’s spokesman Randy Sanches said Tuesday that the man who was arrested – who turned out to be Malcolm Torres, 25, boyfriend of the missing girl’s mother – is not a suspect, and that law enforcement agencies don’t have a suspect in the missing child case.

“We have absolutely nothing,” Sanches said Tuesday. “We have no starting point.”​
I thought the starting point was Sunday at 9:30 am in the front yard? Are they backing away from that, too?

I know you posted this early this morning (it's still the same day for me. lol) and I meant to reply all day. We know now that the house is closer to El Llano Rd so this may just be a moot point.

This is not a real populated area. Not many sub-divisions in "Espy". There are still a lot of small farms/vacant land around here. Families are multi-generational and some have been there for over 400 years. Elders may have large tracts of land and split them off for off-spring or just allow them to place a home on the "family estate". That looks to be the case here.

McCurdy Rd is not busy on a daily/hourly basis (unless children are being driven to or from school) except for Sunday mornings, which is a nightmare when church services are offered. MurCurdy Rd is so narrow in some spots that cars must drive partially on the dirt shoulder to pass by each other. If you look further South where El LLano Rd splits off of McCurdy Rd, you will see 2 hairpin turns under the trees. There is one lane there around those 2 blind corners. You are taking your life into your hands when you use that stretch. [10 MPH, please]. Such is the road culture of Northern New Mexico. (I guess I'm a dare-devil as I use this road to skirt Espy when I'm heading North). There is only 1 stop sign (main entrance to EVHS) on the entire stretch of El Llano Rd.

I went to McCurdy (it was a private school then) for a semester when I was a teenager. I still have step-family along El LLano Rd. They had a farm with farm animals along Llano ditch (called an acequia) and gave "chunks" of land to their posterity, same as this guy's family.

RaspPie can confirm or correct.

I confirm :). Many people would use El Llano to bypass the town\lights when driving through. I was surprised they were looking behind the high school. To me it just seems like the worst place to "conceal" something (for lack of better words). A lot of people ride 4 wheelers back there and the cross country team runs back there because there are a lot of hills. You could go less then a mile in all directions and be alone in the desert. But, a lot of that land is tribal land and from what I read you may run into security crossing in on their land. I was hoping there would be a happy ending but as the time passes it seems less likely.
Most people know each other and a lot are related, because as Abbey Babbey posted, their families has been there for very long time.
New Mexico seems to have a lot of cases of child abuse resulting in death - I never compared it nationally but I heard a lot about it in the news when I lived there.

On a lighter note I have never heard the nickname Espy just Spana. Espy is cute :)

FBI Albuquerque on Twitter
Help us bring Renezmae home The #FBI & our partners are still looking for Renezmae Calzada who disappeared in the Espanola NM area last weekend. Anyone with info is urged to call 505-753-5555. @MissingKids #AMBERAlert!
EELdHENWsAEBUew.png

7:07 AM - 11 Sep 2019

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alicat3