Votes: 50 17.5%
  • Yes, Not Enough Evidence to Prove Her Guilty

Votes: 5 1.7%
  • No, But Believe in Jury Outcome

Votes: 43 15.0%
  • No, Enough Evidence Exists to Prove Guilt Right Now

Votes: 188 65.7%

• Total voters
I am welcoming all the discussion on this. And even though some of the people that live in my area say they dont know much about the case, I still think they are going to have to move the trial. Too much publicity has been out there - and negative to KC. I also am glad that we do have the court system that we have - no offense, but I prefer the US system rather than the German one.

Yes, I think she can get a fair trial in her area. Lawyers are generally not stupid. There are seminars dedicated solely to voir dire, the process of selecting a jury. Both sides will have the opportunity to get rid of potential jurors that could be biased one way or the other. I don't know that it is a perfect system because juries are often made up of people who do not read, do not keep apprised of the news and I don't think that lends itself to critical thinking abilities. Nevertheless, it often seems to work. The defense will make sure to screen for people who have made their minds up as to casey's guilt. They have many ways to do so, from direct questions to indirect questions that may uncover a hidden mindset, to questions about the radio programs, television programs and internet sites the potential jurors frequent. Lawyers even study body language, voice patterns, mode of dress, etc, in an effort to determine whether a potential juror is baised or not. They take into account demographics, personal histories, etc. And, I think the court system adequately impresses upon jurors the gravity of the situation. Most jurors are honest. I know that if I was called I would let the lawyers know of my belief and gut that casey is guilty. However, I would also state that I would be willing to look at only the evidence presented to determine her guilt or innocence. I'm 99.9% sure I would get booted.

No! I do not believe she will have a fair trail. I agree with the statement Baez made, she has been tried and found guilty in the eyes of the public/media.

I might concede that Casey has been tried and convicted by the media. BUT, the media has no sentencing power; The media did not make the arrest, nor create what was real and was really presented to the Grand Jury.

I firmly believe that once inside the Court, people take their sworn duty as jurors very seriously. People have an inate desire to see justice and fairness prevail. They want this for victims but also for defendants.
That is my belief.
Casey can get a fair trial no matter what the media says or does.
Let's reverse it:
The media could start a Casey is railroaded.... Casey is innocent blitz. That would not affect the trial either. jmho

Of course she can get a fair trial. For starters, the jurors don't have to be people who have heard nothing about this case, only that they be able to set aside anything they have read or heard and make a decision based only on what they hear in court.

Secondly, there are a lot of people who never read a newspaper, watch a news show much less a show like NG. Or if they do, they aren't really paying attention. Just watch NG a few times and count how many people call in with questions about something that has been answered on that show dozens of times, in some instances just minutes before their call.

Wow, I'm having to edit this because a whole paragraph disappeared. I covered a number of trials when I was a reporter and was editor for many more. Hundreds of stories were written before some of those trials. I never saw a single instance where the jurors were really affected by those stories.

I'm thinking of one capital murder trial in particular where not only were there hundreds of stories written but the case had been the subject of local gossip in this small town for years, all focused on the people eventually named in the indictments. That trial ended in a not guilty verdict.

The best example is OJ Simpson. It couldn't have been possible for a trial to receive more media attention.

I'm sure jurors take their task very seriously, especially in a murder charge. I believe any who wouldn't are ferreted out by the attorneys on both sides during voir dire.

And finally, being involved in a lengthy trial is almost like being in another world for that time period. Every moment of long days is wrapped around that trial and what you're hearing at the trial. This must be especially so for jurors, who have to be aware 24 hours a day of their responsibilities and aren't even allowed to discuss the case, even among themselves, until deliberations start.

One final thought - I think it's much harder for jurors to set aside testimony or statements by attorneys on either side that they heard in court but the judge has ruled shouldn't be considered than to set aside anything they read or heard on the outside of the courtroom.

Thank you chico and exactly what I was going to say when opening the thread and reading the opening post. Let us think about Scott Peterson and OJ Simpson just to name a few. She will get a fair trial where she will be presumed innocent until all the evidence is argued and she is found guilty (the guilty part being imhoo)

Hi Nurse:blowkiss: Long time no see!!! Sorry OT.

No! I do not believe she will have a fair trail. I agree with the statement Baez made, she has been tried and found guilty in the eyes of the public/media.

I disagree with what JB said. Yes, in Orlando or our surrounding counties I dont think she will get a fair trial, but in other counties in Florida - yes I truly think she could have a fair trial. While I have my personal feelings towards KC, she is still innocent of all charges until it proven otherwise.

Not that Baez has done her any favors while working as her "attorney" either. That much hasn't been fair to her from the start. She can get a fair trial, it's just going to take time to get an unbiased jury together. Believe it or not, there are people that do not pick up a newspaper or watch the news.

Yes, I believe she can get a fair trial, there will have to be a change of venue though.

There are people who do not keep up with the news of this like we do!

one of the questions to filter jurors will probably be;

'do you uh, read that website websleuths by any chance?' lol.

:crazy:

While I hate to be the one to say it - we all have to realize that our judicial system is set up as KC is innocent until the prosecutors prove without a reasonable doubt that she is guilty of killing Caylee. Yes, I know emotions are running high - especially after the judgement that came down from the Grand Jury - but folks she is still innocent until proven guilty in a court of law.

Do I personally believe she can have a fair trial here in Orlando - nope, absolutely not. They will have to probably move the case to one of our smaller, rural counties to get an impartial jury. Do I personally think that she is guilty of someway causing harm to her daughter and causing her death - yes - but in a court of law she is innocent. Even though in the eyes of the public she is guilty - we all have to understand what makes our country great. Having a fair and even judicial system.

Any thoughts? Do you think she can get a fair trial?

Sure, even if it is moved to another county.

I believe we witnessed this yesterday. Grand Jurors did just that. I am sure they were aware of the burden on the prosecution and the premise of innocence until proven guilty. They listened to the evidence presented and had to make a determination whether or not to vote for an indictment.

I absolutely think she can get a fair trial. I have a facebook page and yesterday I put my status as "happy that the Grand Jury indicted Casey Anthony" and I had friends write me asking who Casey Anthony was. So, yes, I think that she can get a fair trial. There are a lot of people, including some friends here in Orlando, who haven't followed the case at all. I think sometimes it is hard for me to realize that when I am so deeply involved in it.

Yes, I think she can get a fair trial in her area. Lawyers are generally not stupid. There are seminars dedicated solely to voir dire, the process of selecting a jury. Both sides will have the opportunity to get rid of potential jurors that could be biased one way or the other. I don't know that it is a perfect system because juries are often made up of people who do not read, do not keep apprised of the news and I don't think that lends itself to critical thinking abilities. Nevertheless, it often seems to work. The defense will make sure to screen for people who have made their minds up as to casey's guilt. They have many ways to do so, from direct questions to indirect questions that may uncover a hidden mindset, to questions about the radio programs, television programs and internet sites the potential jurors frequent. Lawyers even study body language, voice patterns, mode of dress, etc, in an effort to determine whether a potential juror is baised or not. They take into account demographics, personal histories, etc. And, I think the court system adequately impresses upon jurors the gravity of the situation. Most jurors are honest. I know that if I was called I would let the lawyers know of my belief and gut that casey is guilty. However, I would also state that I would be willing to look at only the evidence presented to determine her guilt or innocence. I'm 99.9% sure I would get booted.

I have been called as a juror numerous times - both here in Orlando and in NYC where I used to live. One case was a child molestation case. I was interviewed and interviewed by both attornies. It was very unnerving as the defendant kept looking at me and smirking...... I swore I saw something in his eyes. When the final question came down - would I be able to be an impartial juror and knew that he was innocent until proven guilty? My answer - nope - I can tell he is guilty by the look in his eyes. Yes people - got the boot. Long story short... yup - he was guilty of molesting a 9 year old.

The same would apply here if I was picked - I would have to let them know that I have followed this case, know some of the interested parties and went out on a tes search. I am sure I would get the boot then..

Lets hope all jurors are honest as we are.

I absolutely think she can get a fair trial. I have a facebook page and yesterday I put my status as "happy that the Grand Jury indicted Casey Anthony" and I had friends write me asking who Casey Anthony was. So, yes, I think that she can get a fair trial. There are a lot of people, including some friends here in Orlando, who haven't followed the case at all. I think sometimes it is hard for me to realize that when I am so deeply involved in it.

Do you really think she could get a fair trial here in Orlando? I personally dont. Not even in Seminole or Osceola.... Volusia and Flagler perhaps.

Yes, she can get a fair trial. I have mentioned this case to several friends and acquaintences (many as a matter of fact) and none of them know much of anything about the case and don't have any opinions. She can definitely get a fair trial (probably not in orlando) altho one of my myspace friends is in orlando and never heard of this case! so she might even get a fair trial in orlando. There are many people that don't want the news or keep aprised of it.

I totally agree with you that she can get a fair trial. I think that we sometimes forget that MOST people are not as obsessed with this case as we are. My family and friends know varying degrees of info about it, especially since it has been 4 mths now since Caylee has been missing and 3 mths since the public knew about it. (they have NO idea how much time I spend thinking about it! :crazy:) There is SO much else going on in the country right now that people are paying attention to, this happens to be our "bubble".

I wish we had a court system like over in Germany. You are guilty until proven innocent! They don't need search warrants, if they have reason to believe your hiding anything, they can just come on in. Just think how much could have been saved on this case?

Completely off topic but I'm not far from Lancaster PA. Small town called Elm.

Do you really think she could get a fair trial here in Orlando? I personally dont. Not even in Seminole or Osceola.... Volusia and Flagler perhaps.

I think a good argument could be made to have this trial moved from Orange County into another one (but not Seminole either). No one I have spoken to hasn't heard of the case (though people follow it in varying degrees).

T

It's been reported here in the high end newspapers like the Guardian. Not a lot of info though , just the bare facts ,a few clips on sky news a few weeks ago , but not been picked up by the tabloids yet , probably won't be either unless something bizarre happens down the line.

I think she can get a fair trial yes. Definitely.

We now have to wait around a year for a trial though! don't we? or is 2 years more realistic?

:rolleyes:

This case is mostly local. Except NG and Cindy showing up, nationally, hardly a peep. Greta usually covers these things, extensively....Scott Peterson being a good example.

KC will get a fair trial.

I might concede that Casey has been tried and convicted by the media. BUT, the media has no sentencing power; The media did not make the arrest, nor create what was real and was really presented to the Grand Jury.

I firmly believe that once inside the Court, people take their sworn duty as jurors very seriously. People have an inate desire to see justice and fairness prevail. They want this for victims but also for defendants.
That is my belief.
Casey can get a fair trial no matter what the media says or does.
Let's reverse it:
The media could start a Casey is railroaded.... Casey is innocent blitz. That would not affect the trial either. jmho
:clap::clap::clap::clap: Well said!

I've been trying to say this since the beginning. I personally believe Caylee is alive and that there are "stories within the stories." I think what's being leaked is being leaked deliberately and one day the media will see they allowed themselves to be used - which is fine with me if it brings a measure of safety to Caylee, if you get my drift!

I am curious about what's happened to investigative journalism? In my opinion, one of the print or broadcast media could really enhance their stature by getting their best IJ on this and using their connections to find the root story - the real story. Things are not always as they appear. If I'm wrong, so what?! All they'll have lost is another "me, too" story!

I look at the people who have already convicted Casey as black and white people - not a racial comment! :) I'm talking about people who make quick decisions and like to get things tidied up and move along to the next one. Life isn't black and white - life is messy. There are very few absolutes. There are lots of different kinds of people in the world...as hard as it is to believe, there are lots of people who don't know or care about this case! That's good - "it takes every kind of people to make the world go 'round."

Throughout all this, though, we have to remember that we have due process and a constitutional right to be "presumed innocent until proven guilty in a court of law." It's what JB was talking about yesterday when he said there are American soldiers in IRAQ fighting for this. That upset people, but if we lose our constitutional rights we become a land of outlaws.

Great post - thanks for asking!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Altruistic_Ruin06
Back