NV - 59 Dead, over 500 injured in Mandalay Bay shooting in Las Vegas, 1 Oct 2017 #1

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
[video=twitter;914804234545229825]https://twitter.com/CBSThisMorning/status/914804234545229825[/video]

I see he was known to police...has a criminal record. Still had access to weapons...

I see he was known to police...has a criminal record. Still had access to weapons...

Guns. We're lousy with 'em.

Easy peasy to get ahold of one or twelve if you want to. Even people with criminal records. We see this all of the time.

Im curious how he got a fully automatic weapon in that room and all the ammunition.

From listening to the shots from TV news from someone there with cell phone video you can hear how rapid the shots came out of the gun.

I am familiar with the sound of weapons going off from going to a gun range and I can say for sure it was fully automatic weapon. The other interesting thing is the number of rounds before he had to reload was a lot of rounds. So I dont think it was a regular clip.
A regular clip of shells would not allow that many bullets to be fired all at once like we heard. Which means I think he either had a round "Drum magazine" or a string of shells all clipped together in a long string.

The link below shows what a drum magazine looks like.

https://www.xproducts.com/product-category/high-capacity-drum-magazines-223-556-308-9mm/

These mostly hold around 50 shells. But they do make double drum magazines too which double that to 100 rounds. Shown below is a double drum.

https://www.classicfirearms.com/ar15-m16-100rd-dual-drum-mag

The only other way I think he could have done it is with belt ammunition where all the shells are linked together in a long belt. The ammunition would be all linked together and bought that way and just layed off to the side as it got fed into the gun. It would not really be a clip at all but just a long belt of shells. Shown in link below shows 100 rounds pre-linked in a belt.

http://ammunitionstore.com/products/308-7-62x51-ammo-147gr-fmj-ggg-100-rounds-linked-for-m60.html

Those are the only two ways I can think of to be able to fire that many shells all at once. We hear him reload and start again and he would either change the drum magazine out with another fully loaded drum. Or another belt of shells.

He must have had the extra drums or extra belts all ready to go because he was able to fire again quickly after he ran out of shells. He was able to reload quickly which means he had these other drums fully loaded already or had extra belts of ammunition ready to go.

My guess is he used one of these two methods and had them all ready.

Thank you for this info/ explanation.

I know nothing about guns, so this post was very helpful in illustrating how one might fire so many shots in a short amount of time.

I can't see whether anyone answered my earlier question.... is this type of gun legal in America? Who would have access to (what I, in my naivety, would call) a machine gun?

Two grandparents killed 50 people and created the biggest massacre in US history, unbelievable!

I can't see whether anyone answered my earlier question.... is this type of gun legal in America? Who would have access to (what I, in my naivety, would call) a machine gun?

I don't know what the process is for getting one, but yes, they are legal. I know one person who has one (AR-15). I've shot his gun at a range. I have no clue if this has anything to do with it, but he has a pretty high government clearance as a govt. contractor.

I'm hesitant to click thru on any of the tabloid-like media links. Too much aggregated news sources, rumor, and little if no original reporting. Makes me queasy.

[emoji202]MOO

President Trump Tweeted, "My warmest condolences and sympathies to the victims and families of the terrible Las Vegas shooting. God bless you!" My warmest condolences - seriously? That is wrong on so many levels... Sigh. :gaah:

No words are adequate. Thoughts with the injured and the families of those killed,. :rose::rose:

President Trump Tweeted, "My warmest condolences and sympathies to the victims and families of the terrible Las Vegas shooting. God bless you!" My warmest condolences - seriously? That is wrong on so many levels... Sigh. :gaah:

what a bizarre word to use !

Was it an AR-15 that the shooter used? By the sound of the gunfire that people recorded on their electronic devices, the gun sounded very well maintained (no hesitation in firing, no jamming, etc). He reloaded as well, right?

I don't know what the process is for getting one, but yes, they are legal. I know one person who has one (AR-15). I've shot his gun at a range. I have no clue if this has anything to do with it, but he has a pretty high government clearance as a govt. contractor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mavakaga