DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

"Anthony Polito

named as suspect who killed three staff at UNLV with a handgun

before being shot dead by cops after being

DENIED a job at the faculty.

1701939272480.png

Polito spent more than 15 years working as an associate professor at East Carolina University.

He was educated at the University of Georgia's Terry College of Business where he gained a Doctor of Philosophy.

Polito also listed he achieved a Master of Business Administration at The Fuqua School of Business at Duke University and attended Radford University where he completed a Bachelor of Science, Mathematics and Statistics as a double major.

His failed job application was reported by 8 News Now, with sources telling the site that he may also have had connections to a person who works on campus.

On his LinkedIn page, Polito claimed to enjoy hearing positive feedback from his students.

'The greatest gifts and takeaways I possess from my many years within higher education are the many kind & positive comments students made regarding my instruction and disposition toward them,'
he wrote."

Here is his personal website.

And LinkedIn:

I’m a college professor. MOO but it’s a pretty odd presentation of self professionally. My guess is that he was managed out of academia in 2017 (his last job as per LinkedIn) for reasons we can only guess. But he definitely isn’t an attractive candidate and I certainly wouldn’t get hired if this was the package I put forward. I imagine the combination of whatever reasons he was out of a job to begin with combined with whatever has happened in the past 6 years plus all the usual reasons we see largely white men creating these sorts of atrocities explain why this happened.

ETA: He’s also added a link to a doc on his LinkedIn with 109 pages of comments from students saying how great he is. This is also odd. And gives the vibes of someone who was disgruntled with university leadership and trying to make a point about something. JMO
Are you referring to the statement that he likes positive feedback from students? He wrote, "The greatest gifts and takeaways I possess from my many years within higher education are the many kind & positive comments students made regarding my instruction and disposition toward them."

I'm wondering if he posted that before the rampage, knowing the world would be looking him up and wanting it known that some students liked him. He posted it to create a positive legacy, though, of course, "murderer" will be his legacy. imo

jmo

Lengthy..​

''Anthony Polito, 67, who killed three staff at UNLV before being shot dead by cops had 15-page Zodiac Killer theory on website that also listed 'powerful organizations bent on global domination'​

• The gunman who shot dead three people at the University of Nevada, Las Vegas, is thought to have had a connection to someone at the school
  • Tony Polito, 67, maintained a website detailing his interest in Sin City, conspiracy theories as well as fawning tributes from his former students
By FIONA CONNOR and HARRIET ALEXANDER and WILL POTTER FOR DAILYMAIL.COM 7 December 2023''
'I have lived in Georgia, Iowa, Nevada, New York, North Carolina, Virginia and Wyoming. In my travels, I especially enjoyed Jackson Hole, The Outer Banks, Key West ... and, of course, Durham,' he writes on the biography section of the site.

His musical tastes range from crooners such as Frank Sinatra and Dean Martin to folk musicians such as Willie Nelson and Joni Mitchell.

In his favorite movie section, Polito's argues that each 'argues a truth with powerful eloquence.'

''Some of his favorite movies include Michael Moore's Roger & Me, Oliver Stone's conspiracy-laden JFK and the film version of Ayn Rand's conservative epic, The Fountainhead.

Polito lists among the the 'Great Minds of the Twentieth Century,' Nikola Tesla, Albert Einstein and George Soros.

There is another section titled: 'Powerful Organizations Bent on Global Domination!'

Among the organizations listed are the Rothchild family, Bilderberg Group, the International Monetary Fund and Economics Department of MIT.

In that section, Polito posted a link to a website created by far-right wing conspiracy theorist Alex Jones.

Elsewhere on the page, Polito lists his own personal theories on various mysteries including, the Zodiac killer, the fate of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 and the true meaning of the 2010 Leonardo DiCaprio movie Inception.''

rbbm
''The public university, home to more than 30,000 students, is located about a mile and a half from the Las Vegas strip. The campus is not far from the site of the 2017 massacre at an outdoor musical festival which killed 60 people and injured hundreds more.''
Four police officers in uniform walking between cars.
Three people killed and one critically wounded in Las Vegas university shooting
Read more

Lessons learned from that shooting – the deadliest in modern US history – helped authorities to work “seamlessly” in reacting to the UNLV attack, Sheriff Kevin McMahill said at a news conference.

I bet he has/had a significant presence on Usenet, especially but not limited to, the alt.politics and other alt.* fringe theory groups. He does mention Google Groups and its predecessor, DejaNews, on his homepage.
I also wonder if he ever joined here?

Last edited:
I bet he has/had a significant presence on Usenet, especially but not limited to, the alt.politics and other alt.* fringe theory groups. He does mention Google Groups and its predecessor, DejaNews, on his homepage.
I also wonder if he ever joined here?

I am curious if he struggled with mental health issues his entire life or just recently?

OK, I don't really understand the motive. He was denied a job at the age of 67...he was eligible for SS and also likely had retirement funds. Also, he was old enough (or should have been old enough) to realize that not having a job is never the end of the world. This is just strange.

And LinkedIn:

I’m a college professor. MOO but it’s a pretty odd presentation of self professionally. My guess is that he was managed out of academia in 2017 (his last job as per LinkedIn) for reasons we can only guess. But he definitely isn’t an attractive candidate and I certainly wouldn’t get hired if this was the package I put forward. I imagine the combination of whatever reasons he was out of a job to begin with combined with whatever has happened in the past 6 years plus all the usual reasons we see largely white men creating these sorts of atrocities explain why this happened.

ETA: He’s also added a link to a doc on his LinkedIn with 109 pages of comments from students saying how great he is. This is also odd. And gives the vibes of someone who was disgruntled with university leadership and trying to make a point about something. JMO

Agree. I'm a tenured prof at a research uni and having served on too many hiring committees to remember, this guy with this package wouldn't have made the cut on any of them. So many red flags, IMO.

Seems like a blend of the usual grievances plus this recent failure as the spark that lit the outrage fire.

But as usual, knowing the why? may not be particularly helpful, since addressing that why or the how with prophylactic strategies robust enough to forestall the next mass shooting seems beyond the will or wit of those with the power to make such changes.

OK, I don't really understand the motive. He was denied a job at the age of 67...he was eligible for SS and also likely had retirement funds. Also, he was old enough (or should have been old enough) to realize that not having a job is never the end of the world. This is just strange.
Reminded of this shooting in Montreal, the perp was a professor who targeted colleagues, but not the students.
rbbm
''On August 24, 1992, an armed man opened fire on the ninth floor of the Henry F. Hall Building resulting in the death of four professors. That day, two professors died: Civil Engineering Professor Matthew McCartney Douglass and Chemistry Professor and President of the Concordia University Faculty Association Michael Gorden Hogben. Mechanical Engineering Professor Aaron Jaan Saber died of his wounds the next day. Phoivos Ziogas, the Electrical and Computer Engineering Chair, succumbed to his injuries a month later on September 23. Mechanical Engineering Secretary Elizabeth Horwood, also wounded on that day, recovered and was discharged from the hospital.

''Mechanical Engineering Professor Valery Fabrikant was arrested and later convicted for the murder of his colleagues.''
He claimed he had been forced to include their names on papers he had published. He would also later testify that what he alleged in the lawsuit was the source of his anger when he killed four of his colleagues.''

A lot of people his age, feel like their entire life and identity is their job. Maybe he was edged out of his last position, kept applying for other positions, didn't get interviews, maybe he just had stress building up, and took it out here.

Who knows?! But it is again, showing that mental health care is sorely lacking in the United States. When people need psychiatric meds and care, when they are unemployed, have no health insurance, they are not going to get any care.

I had a similar experience years ago, huge depression, couldn't afford meds or counseling. Not eligible for any government programs. I am lucky I got an amazing job, from networking with an old college friend.

And LinkedIn:

On his "biosketch" section of his personal website (linked above), he mentions he is a member of MENSA.

jmo

That's why I assume he had mental health issues. Otherwise, people get upset, depressed but they don't go on a mass shooting or a spree!

A lot of people his age, feel like their entire life and identity is their job. Maybe he was edged out of his last position, kept applying for other positions, didn't get interviews, maybe he just had stress building up, and took it out here.

Who knows?! But it is again, showing that mental health care is sorely lacking in the United States. When people need psychiatric meds and care, when they are unemployed, have no health insurance, they are not going to get any care.

I had a similar experience years ago, huge depression, couldn't afford meds or counseling. Not eligible for any government programs. I am lucky I got an amazing job, from networking with an old college friend.

I'm honestly failing to see what mental illness there is here that can be fixed by any kind of mental health system. There is no anti-*advertiser censored* medication.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eppomoosha
Back