NV NV - Donnis Redman, 14, & Michael Griffin, 18, Las Vegas, 1 March 1958

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I find this case very fascinating, Donnis looks so innocent and happy in her picture. I feel that her and Michael were likely murdered, but it is nice to think that maybe they just moved someplace and lived a quiet life together happily in love. Some questions......Does anyone have much info on Michael's family ?, what is the go with the Virginia plates ?, did his family/or family member help Donnis and Michael start a new life someplace else ?.

I would like to think that they rode off into the sunset and lived happily ever after, too, but that's probably unlikely.
I wish I had answers to your questions. The people who used to post a lot on here when the thread was active seemed to have abandoned the case or moved along, which is too bad.

I wish LE had the manpower to be more active in solving old cases. Little Miss X's state of remains SCREAMS Donnis to me, unfortunately.

They scream the same to me, too.
I've never found any follow up articles that they located Miss X's remains, and if they have, whether or not they were able to build a DNA profile. I think it was back in 2010 that someone posted they were close to locating her with the hopes of extracting DNA. Nearly 7 years later? Crickets. . . .

I know this is a stretch - not sure why this has not been brought up - Donnis was of Native American ancestry - correct?

Griffin's car was found in Williams, AZ?

Was there any chance they took off for Keyhole Sink to see the petroglyphs? And was it possible they had some sort of accident there?

I bring this up because in case the previously discovered remains are not this young couple, perhaps an alternate avenue can be explored in finding them.

I know this is a stretch - not sure why this has not been brought up - Donnis was of Native American ancestry - correct? Griffin's car was found in Williams, AZ?

Was there any chance they took off for Keyhole Sink to see the petroglyphs? And was it possible they had some sort of accident there?
I bring this up because in case the previously discovered remains are not this young couple, perhaps an alternate avenue can be explored in finding them.

I'm not sure what Donnis's heritage is. I believe investigators believed they were native American at the time they were found.

I'm not sure what Donnis's heritage is. I believe investigators believed they were native American at the time they were found.

Ah, thanks.

I know there has been some discussion on their age difference on this thread - to reiterate what was said earlier, it was not at all uncommon in the 1950's for teen girls to marry.

I know.

My mother's older sister left high school at age 15 and married a 19 year old guy who was working full-time. To make a long story short, she had 2 kids and quite honestly I don't think she was quite ready for that, being so young. To top that off, her parents were not thrilled about her dropping out of high school (they immigrated from Russia).

My mother got married after she graduated college with her Master's in education in the mid-1950's - yes, I know rare for a woman to graduate from college back then, much less with a Master's degree. :)

I know it can be easy to take for granted the opportunities women have today but back in the 1950's there was not too much available.

Anyways I hope something further on these two youngsters can be found. Seems kind of sad that they loved each other then just disappeared without a trace.

Cases from the 70s and earlier should be given more publicity and attention. How many killers out there aged in their 60s,70s and 80s that believe they got away with murder.

Yes, they have Donnis's DNA, however, they don't have DNA for Miss X's set of unidentified remains because they can't find them, from I've read in this forum.
IIRC, back in 2010 or so, I think someone mentioned that they were close to finding them and getting sample, but nearly 7 years have past and it doesn't appear they are any closer.
DNA is still not available for the remains: https://www.identifyus.org/en/cases/9859

Do you think Little Miss X is Donnis ? What do you think became of Michael ?. Looking at the items on identifyus, you would think that someone from Donnis's family could ID them.

Do you think Little Miss X is Donnis ? What do you think became of Michael ?. Looking at the items on identifyus, you would think that someone from Donnis's family could ID them.

I think Donnis is Miss X, but I'm not an expert. There were two WS members who haven't posted in a long time who claimed to have connections to Donnis's family, but they never said word one about whether or not the family even knew about Miss X's case, that I can recall. They seem to have moved on from this case. If you have a moment or two, take a look at some of the very old comments and tell me what you think.
I have no idea what happened to these two, but should it turn out that Miss X is Donnis, then it doesn't look good for Michael, either, IMHO.

I think Donnis is Miss X, but I'm not an expert. There were two WS members who haven't posted in a long time who claimed to have connections to Donnis's family, but they never said word one about whether or not the family even knew about Miss X's case, that I can recall. They seem to have moved on from this case. If you have a moment or two, take a look at some of the very old comments and tell me what you think.
I have no idea what happened to these two, but should it turn out that Miss X is Donnis, then it doesn't look good for Michael, either, IMHO.

My head says Little Miss X is Donnis, but their is still a little bit of doubt inside me. The remains found in Flagstaff (re the article), it looked pretty good for a match for Michael, but then turns out not be him. This case really gets to me, and it's crazy the little amount of info on the case, or even background info on Michael or Donnis, such as what school they went too, family etc.

The sighting in Vegas is strange, is this just an assumption from Donnis's mum, or from a police office back at the time the missing persons report was made. I doubt that they got married, it may have been their intention, but I think they knew they couldn't at that stage due to her age/lack of parental permission etc. I think they just wanted to get away and be together forever. Obviously I don't know this, but I feel that Michael's family didn't want him to be with Donnis. Michael had orthodontic work, which suggests money, especially during the late 50's, and the car with modifications done.. Maybe Donnis wasn't from a "well to do" family, and they didn't approve of the relationship. Maybe this could explain the lack of information about Michael, and why no family of his was vocal (as far as I know).

In regards to the native american indian link, maybe it was a relative way back in the family tree, that even to the family today, they don't know of the link. I also think that it is important that the bones be found so they can be retested. I'm not 100% on alot of testing one pre the 80s. Maybe if they bones were located, they would come up with different info, such as no Indian link.

I think they were sleeping in the car off the road someplace, and someone approached the car and attacked them. Maybe this was even done where the car was found. Maybe Michael was separated from Donnis during the attack, and he is still un-located out there not far from where Little Miss X was found. Maybe he was taken with the intention of using him to withdraw money from a bank account. For example "please don't kill me, I have money in the bank, I can withdraw it for you", or "my family has money, I can get it for you". He was then done away with as it became too much effort to keep him around.

Their is also the possibility that Michael took Donnis's life and has evaded capture. But I'm not 100% sold on this idea, but must be considered. Reality set in after a few days, and sleeping in the car or living day by day away from family and familiar surrounds just didn't live up to the fairytale of eloping. She wanted to return, but Michael didn't, or couldn't handle that Donnis didn't want to continue with their plans (rejection makes some people do crazy things) and killed her. He dumped her body and the car, then went on his way and started a new life, or took his own.

I emailed the Citizen's Cemetery with originally held the remains of Little Miss X asking for info/grave location etc. The response was that they do not have her in the cemetery at all. The two officers who had the remains exhumed have passed away, but I wonder if a family member of theirs has old police work in a shed or attic that holds the secret to where the remains are, maybe the bones are there.

Lets get this solved :)

My head says Little Miss X is Donnis, but their is still a little bit of doubt inside me. The remains found in Flagstaff (re the article), it looked pretty good for a match for Michael, but then turns out not be him. This case really gets to me, and it's crazy the little amount of info on the case, or even background info on Michael or Donnis, such as what school they went too, family etc.

The sighting in Vegas is strange, is this just an assumption from Donnis's mum, or from a police office back at the time the missing persons report was made. I doubt that they got married, it may have been their intention, but I think they knew they couldn't at that stage due to her age/lack of parental permission etc. I think they just wanted to get away and be together forever. Obviously I don't know this, but I feel that Michael's family didn't want him to be with Donnis. Michael had orthodontic work, which suggests money, especially during the late 50's, and the car with modifications done.. Maybe Donnis wasn't from a "well to do" family, and they didn't approve of the relationship. Maybe this could explain the lack of information about Michael, and why no family of his was vocal (as far as I know).

In regards to the native american indian link, maybe it was a relative way back in the family tree, that even to the family today, they don't know of the link. I also think that it is important that the bones be found so they can be retested. I'm not 100% on alot of testing one pre the 80s. Maybe if they bones were located, they would come up with different info, such as no Indian link.

I think they were sleeping in the car off the road someplace, and someone approached the car and attacked them. Maybe this was even done where the car was found. Maybe Michael was separated from Donnis during the attack, and he is still un-located out there not far from where Little Miss X was found. Maybe he was taken with the intention of using him to withdraw money from a bank account. For example "please don't kill me, I have money in the bank, I can withdraw it for you", or "my family has money, I can get it for you". He was then done away with as it became too much effort to keep him around.

Their is also the possibility that Michael took Donnis's life and has evaded capture. But I'm not 100% sold on this idea, but must be considered. Reality set in after a few days, and sleeping in the car or living day by day away from family and familiar surrounds just didn't live up to the fairytale of eloping. She wanted to return, but Michael didn't, or couldn't handle that Donnis didn't want to continue with their plans (rejection makes some people do crazy things) and killed her. He dumped her body and the car, then went on his way and started a new life, or took his own.

I emailed the Citizen's Cemetery with originally held the remains of Little Miss X asking for info/grave location etc. The response was that they do not have her in the cemetery at all. The two officers who had the remains exhumed have passed away, but I wonder if a family member of theirs has old police work in a shed or attic that holds the secret to where the remains are, maybe the bones are there.

Lets get this solved :)

I haven't been on much or had a lot of time to read up but I take it for your comment the remains still have. It been found? We're the male remains ever retested? Just my gut feeling is that it's them. Testing wasn't as advanced back then as it is now and I'm thinking a mistake may have been made or that tests werent very accurate and that it is them. If the retested the male and are sure it's not him then I think he's somewhere near there but as I said my gut feeling is that it's them but proving it takes more than just a feeling.

From the Coconino Sheriff's Cold Case FB page:
Update on Little Miss X: Cold Case Detectives and the County Medical Examiner's Office believe they know where Little Miss X is buried. They have plans to try to exhume the body and continue to work to identify her.
05/31/2018

That's a far cry (time-wise) from the person who said they were on the brink of finding the remains 8 years ago. SMH.

I believe it was Little Miss X who was thought to have Native American ancestry due to shovel shaped incisors. I don't know whether we know if Donnis had Native American ancestry. She doesn't look like it but that doesn't mean much. I have shovel shaped incisors too and if someone found my remains they would know I have Native American ancestry, but I don't look at all Native American.

Although I think the clothing found with Little Miss X and Donnis Redman are similar, I think Little Miss X might be a better match with Mary Margaret Begay. She was Native American.
Mary Margaret Begay – The Charley Project

I think Mary Begay was ruled out, I read a blurb about it recently on the Coconino Sheriff Cold Case unit FB page. That's what I took their statement to mean. Not sure how they did it, though. If you look at Little Miss X's thread, I think I linked their page on that thread.

I think Mary Begay was ruled out, I read a blurb about it recently on the Coconino Sheriff Cold Case unit FB page. That's what I took their statement to mean. Not sure how they did it, though. If you look at Little Miss X's thread, I think I linked their page on that thread.

I didn't know Mary had been ruled out. Maybe it was on dentals? I didn't think they had DNA for Little Miss X since they can't locate her remains, so it seems it would have to be dentals or some other pretty certain factor.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GoldenGirl1971
Back