NV - Police fatally shoot man holding cell phone

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Just a guess based on experience, that at a minimum, there was at least a warrant for failure to appear.
Being a "suspect" in attempted murder, under surveillance, failure to appear and then in flight were all likely factors in why the US Marshalls were involved.

Brad Reinhart last had contact with his client, Keith Childress Jr., 23, last month when a jury was set to issue a verdict in his trial for stealing marijuana and guns from a Phoenix home in 2013. Reinhart said he texted Childress to be at the courthouse, but he never showed up.

“He didn’t show up for the final hearing. They had a warrant out for him,” Reinhart said.

Las Vegas police said they were assisting U.S. marshals in arresting Childress because he was accused of multiple violent felonies in Arizona including attempted murder. Reinhart said while Childress’ crimes were serious, they never included a charge of attempted murder.

According to Maricopa County Superior Court records a jury convicted Childress on Dec. 17 of burglary, armed robbery, kidnapping, aggravated assault and theft.

http://www.cbs19.tv/story/30871122/man-killed-by-vegas-police-was-holding-phone-not-gun

The lawyer WOULDN'T know about attempted murder charges until AFTER ARREST.
Only the people involved, ie LE ,Judge and maybe a Grand Jury.

He'd already been to court and convicted. His lawyer would know what he was convicted for.

Do you know if he was a murder suspect? The only thing I've seen is the miscommunication wrt to attempted murder.

JMO

The lawyer WOULDN'T know about attempted murder charges until AFTER ARREST.
Only the people involved, ie LE ,Judge and maybe a Grand Jury.

It's clear to me that the lawyer is trying to downplay how dangerous a criminal his client was.

Maybe he didn't have the will to live :/ I hope we get updates soon. Sucks if this was what he felt was his only option.

I don't have much sympathy for him. He was a very violent man that perpetrated violence against others so he could take things from them, in a greedy, cruel way. I really don't feel sorry for him right now. I feel more sympathy for the noble, brave men who were REQUIRED to try and track him down and bring him in, only to be under public scrutiny and criticism now.

If this guy purposely did a 'suicide by cop'---it was partially so he could get back at the cops and make people criticize and maybe charge them with something. Just like many are doing here now.

He'd already been to court and convicted. His lawyer would know what he was convicted for.

Do you know if he was a murder suspect? The only thing I've seen is the miscommunication wrt to attempted murder.

JMO

No disrespect, but are you familiar with AMERICAN law?

The question was around Attempted Murder. The lawyer would have no absolute way of knowing if he was wanted or not UNTIL CHILDRESS WAS ARRESTED, IN CUSTODY, AND REQUESTED A LAWYER AND IT HAPPENED TO BE THAT ONE THAT'S SPEAKING TO THE MEDIA.

Do you think we call all lawyers in the phone book to brief them on all our business of who we are looking for?

JMO

So is there a really big difference between murder and attempted murder. If I try to kill someone and fail, does that make me less of a violent criminal?

http://www.cbs19.tv/story/30871122/man-killed-by-vegas-police-was-holding-phone-not-gun

Las Vegas police said they were assisting U.S. marshals in arresting Childress because he was accused of multiple violent felonies in Arizona including attempted murder. Reinhart said while Childress’ crimes were serious, they never included a charge of attempted murder.

According to Maricopa County Superior Court records a jury convicted Childress on Dec. 17 of burglary, armed robbery, kidnapping, aggravated assault and theft.

Aggravated assault and attempted murder are very similar. Sometimes the DA has to decide which one to choose and it is very arbitrary. In both cases it involves a serious assault with serious injuries.

JMO

IMO if the attempted murder charge does exist then it isn't related to his recent convictions. I think it would involve a separate case.

IMO if the attempted murder charge does exist then it isn't related to his recent convictions. I think it would involve a separate case.

It would have to, but I've been searching and can't find anything about attempted murder charges. Everything points to the marshals going after him because he didn't show up on the 17th for the jury's verdict.

I don't know how much attempted murder charges might have played in the officers' reaction to him, and I don't know if there's any way to find out if it was simply a miscommunication.

JMO

So for clarification is it stated that there is an attempted murder charge against him or only that he is a suspect of attempted murder? Many suspects are never charged or arrested and the public is rarely informed before their arrest.

I don't think that there will be any attempted murder charges against Childress because he died before he could be arrested. He is still a suspect though and that made him a dangerous person to the police and to the community.

JMO

So for clarification is it stated that there is an attempted murder charge against him or only that he is a suspect of attempted murder? Many suspects are never charged or arrested and the public is rarely informed before their arrest.

Good question.

I don't think that there will be any attempted murder charges against Childress because he died before he could be arrested. He is still a suspect though and that made him a dangerous person to the police and to the community.

JMO

Do you have a link to a source confirming he was a suspect? Thanks.

Authorities have identified an attempted murder suspect who was fatally shot by Las Vegas police after they mistook his cellphone for a gun.

The Clark County Office of the Coroner said Saturday that 23-year-old Keith Childress Jr. died from multiple gunshot wounds and ruled his death a homicide.

Childress was a suspect in an attempted murder case.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/latest-man-killed-officers-holding-phone-ided-36056110

What I am understanding, but I could be wrong is that he was charged in the burglary and all case. He was aloud to remain out of jail till the sentencing date. He did not show up for sentencing fled the jurisdiction. During that time he is suspected of attempting to murder someone. They were after him for not showing up for sentencing and because he was a suspect in an attempted murder charge. I believe the term suspect is used even after charged. Once they are convicted of the crime the term no longer applies.

In my opinion the existence or non-existence of an attempted murder charge or accusation was simply a miscommunication. I'm not trying to say it was an intentional miscommunication and I have no idea how the fact would have played a part in what happened to Childress.

I'm only curious about its existence because I'm curious about the entire case. If he was accused of attempted murder I'd like to know the details, the same as I want to know the details of his other charges and convictions.

Just wanted to make that clear.

JMO YMMV etc.

What I am understanding, but I could be wrong is that he was charged in the burglary and all case. He was aloud to remain out of jail till the sentencing date. He did not show up for sentencing fled the jurisdiction. During that time he is suspected of attempting to murder someone. They were after him for not showing up for sentencing and because he was a suspect in an attempted murder charge. I believe the term suspect is used even after charged. Once they are convicted of the crime the term no longer applies.

You could be right. Police wanted to arrest Childress because he was a danger to the community. They had a warrant for him because he missed his final hearing for stealing marijuana and guns.

They may have planned on arresting him on the current warrant and continue investigating the attempted murder. He could have been charged with that a later date.

JMO

If there are more suspects in the alleged attempted murder, we may not learn anything more until/if arrests are made IMO.

According to Maricopa County Superior Court records, a jury convicted Childress on December 17 of burglary, armed robbery, kidnapping, aggravated assault and theft.

The shooting occurred on Thursday after Childress had been under surveillance and fled from federal authorities, Las Vegas police said in a statement.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...an-killed-officers-holding-phone-not-gun.html

If he was under federal surveillance while out on bail, then he was considered a pretty serious threat. They don't do that for every one. And those are serious charges he was found guilty of. 'kidnapping/armed robbery/aggravated assault.' They broke into the home so it was also a home invasion robbery at gunpoint. I would consider that a very serious criminal.

And his accomplice was his half brother. So I take whatever his family say with a grain of salt at this point.

In my opinion the existence or non-existence of an attempted murder charge or accusation was simply a miscommunication. I'm not trying to say it was an intentional miscommunication and I have no idea how the fact would have played a part in what happened to Childress.

I'm only curious about its existence because I'm curious about the entire case. If he was accused of attempted murder I'd like to know the details, the same as I want to know the details of his other charges and convictions.

Just wanted to make that clear.

JMO YMMV etc.

Have you seen what his CONVICTIONS were for?

"According to Maricopa County Superior Court records, a jury convicted Childress on December 17 of burglary, armed robbery, kidnapping, aggravated assault and theft."

Apparently, he and his half brother and a couple of others forced their way into a home, at gunpoint, kidnapped, assaulted, and robbed the homeowners of guns and weed. That takes a pretty bold and brazen crew, imo.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Retired Private Investiga
Back